Different 800SE tuner (BCM4505) sensitivities

maltB

Registered
Hi,
I've recently got a 800SEv2 with a BCM4505(DVB-S2) tuner to replace an 800SE, also with a BCM4505(DVB-S2) tuner. One stark difference between these two is that the older one appears to be substantially more sensitive than the newer one. Does this make sense?
Down here in the med, some of the Hotbird signals are so low on the v2 that there is no reception for some of the frequencies but the same ones appear quite happily on the v1 model.
Unfortunately I have no idea what versions of this tuner I have got but I don't like the newer one that much - I've lost some of the programs! (Can I swap these tuners v1 to v2 and vice versa?)
Regards
Bob

fankoosh

Super Moderator
it may also depends on quiality of sat-shop or any chinese manufactury u purchased ur box from , not all chinease suppliers do sell a high quality box , most of box r really poor hardware , so u have to be sure u r purchasing from a high quality manufacturing supplier

maltB

Registered
Point taken. (As always, the claims indicate superior quality of course.)
Thanks and Regards,
Bob

maltB

Registered
Hi,
An interesting point, indicated in the submission by fankoosh and missed by yours truly is that the performance/sensitivity doesn't depend only on the tuner but the whole set-up.
I say this because I've swapped the tuners for the two different receivers and the "good" tuner still performed badly in the new (and theoretically better) receiver.
[Silly me didn't bother to check about the "bad" tuner in the older receiver! I'll have to try this again some other time.]
So, replacing the tuner may not make things better, regrettably.
I've been had!
Regards .... and a nice Easter to all.
Bob

maltB

Registered
Hi!
My apologies to BM300 who had sixteen or so months ago already seen, and reported, the very same effects I noticed this week.
Following the contributions made then, will I be in a better position if I were to replace the tuner with an ALPS Rev M tuner or is this the same as the BCM4505?
Regards
Bob

Last edited:

BM300

Super VIP
Hello maltB,
I have a DM800 with Rev M tuner runing side by side with a DM800se with BCM4505.
In my case, the receiver with Rev M is less sensetive and does not pick the same channels as the DM800se with BCM4505.
The dishes and LNBs are the same.

maltB

Registered
Hi BM800,
Thanks for your prompt reply.
In view of your experience I shall refrain from wasting more money on this venture. I was rather hoping that the supposedly better SEv2 was going to be an improvement on the SEv1. I got this wrong!
Thank you very much for your help.
Regards
Bob

Gammal Gubbe

Registered
Hi,
I've recently got a 800SEv2 with a BCM4505(DVB-S2) tuner to replace an 800SE, also with a BCM4505(DVB-S2) tuner. One stark difference between these two is that the older one appears to be substantially more sensitive than the newer one. Does this make sense?
Down here in the med, some of the Hotbird signals are so low on the v2 that there is no reception for some of the frequencies but the same ones appear quite happily on the v1 model.
Unfortunately I have no idea what versions of this tuner I have got but I don't like the newer one that much - I've lost some of the programs! (Can I swap these tuners v1 to v2 and vice versa?)
Regards
Bob

I suppose you have access to both receivers. I would suggest you remove the tuner from the new DM and install it in the old receiver which picks up weak signals. If tuners are equal, you should still be able to pick up the weak signals. If you cannot, then you know the new tuner is less sensitive.

If you do pick up the weak signals in the old DM with the new tuner, then (assuming both tuners are connected to same dish) it could be bad Cable or more likely, one of the outputs of the LNB with multiple outputs aren't as good as the one feeding the old DM.

Also if the new DM is a clone could explain what you experience.

maltB

Registered
Hello Gammal Gubbe,
Unfortunately I still haven't checked what the tuner from the new DM would do in the old receiver but the tuner from the old DM in the new receiver did not give the same range of programs as the old tuner in the old DM; by far the best combination is the latter. [Both receivers are attached to the same cabling and dish, so these are not the reason for the observed differences].
I will try the new tuner with the old DM when the time permits and I'll report back.
Meanwhile I thank you for your input.
Regards
Bob