Amiko A3's big problem

freck

Registered
Hi,
Been around the forums and from what ive gathered and know is that the new flagship Amiko A3 is not what it seems.
Its a great media streamer and does everything it says on the tin but its biggest and most important downfall is the lack of support for softcams.
Whether its that theres a lack of programmers that can use the android platform to configure and build Oscam,CCcam etc or its taking longer than expected to get them up and running proper.
Its a shame really that the A3 has so much to offer and yet has to fail on the tv aspect.
Theyres no real support forum that devs have set aside to filter info to us enthusiasts either.
The online shops will sell but wont support what the costumer wants and needs.
Mines gone back in the box along with many others and maybe the next amiko venture will be more successful.
Now...I;m not gonna argue with people who say"give it time" because plenty of time was given to the testers who've had these for months and the problem of usable cams remains.
I'd like to be proven wrong on this....surely somebody can throw their expertise at it.
Freck

Willy181

Registered
That's how I feel freck. I have had it now about 3 weeks and I am not any closer to when I started with ccam. It should be a good box once it's sorted but how long is it going to take. Seriously thinking about giving up and selling the box

Unfree

Registered
Bugs are due to the Oscam app, not to the box...other receivers are working with alternative images, not the official one as for Amiko A3. Hope an alternative image will appear soon. I was pissed off as well at the beginning but it works well now, only minor glitches. If any one wants to "get rid" of his Amiko I can swap it for a Vu+ Duo with BH images :)

DirtyDonki

Registered
I'm going to bale on this box before the 14 days distance selling limit expires unless there's a major improvement soon.

Real shame coz it has such huge potential but is rapidly looking like another Amiko Lemon.

capl66

Registered
a3

I have had my a3 for about a month, but still having big problems with the tv picture glitching, sometimes it is imposable to watch.
Does the problem lie with oscam??.is their other cams i can try? are there other images out there?? does anyone know where to get them from?

Willy181

Registered
I have had my a3 for about a month, but still having big problems with the tv picture glitching, sometimes it is imposable to watch.
Does the problem lie with oscam??.is their other cams i can try? are there other images out there?? does anyone know where to get them from?

I have tried 3 different oscam apps and each one has got slightly better. Still not good enough to watch though

Unfree

Registered
Not happy with the a3, don't know whether to dump it for another box or stick with it?

Stick with it, each box has his own problems. The glitches are due to Oscam and as well on the quality of the cccam lines you may use. Since I bought the box they have updated the rom 3 times, at least they are working on it.

capl66

Registered
i also have an alien 2, and the lines are working ok in it.i thought that with all the hype around the a3 that at the very least the cams would be working? no epg (now & next).
should have thought more before i bought the a3.

Unfree

Registered
Smarphones, cars and sat receivers...we should think twice before buying but we never learn :)

Unfree

Registered
Testing a new version of Oscam, seems much more stable....public release will follow this week.

DirtyDonki

Registered
Thanks.

There does seem a slight improvement with this version but still every 9 secs and pixelation.

Really appreciate the effort but sad to report still work to do. Also beginning to wonder if there is more to this than just Oscam but then again FTA channels, HD included, are not affected.

Micacast is dire too and I'm sitting almost on top of the A3. :(

Not sure I can put up with the lengthy delays when switching OSD modes via the OK button either.

Roll on next firmware please. :)

Last edited:

DirtyDonki

Registered
What's Good about this box
1. The Android side works well.
2. XBMC works fine for me but scaling is inaccurate with some of the text off screen.
3. It Timeshifts & records but annoyingly splits recordings into 001, 002 files etc.
4. You can import E2 channel settings.
5. It has proper browsers.
6. Layout is simple and although, IMHO, similar to Open/Skybox, a much improved GUI over those boxes and one that actually works.
7. Voice search works well.
8. Air Mouse works but takes some mastering.
9. WLAN good.
10. Remote functional but it could have done with a querty.

What is poor (currently) about this box
1. Decrypting. It sucks large. Oscam is the only option available and although it opens a fair number of channels there are glitching issues (every 7-9 secs.) primarily on you know which. Some channels one would expect to open not doing so. AOK on Duo2. DOH.
2. Back button response is dreadfully slow as is switching between channel list's OSD's two displays via the OK button. It is even worse with the latest firmware release than it was before. Decided to revert to the last stable version.
3. EPG is non-existent. There is no plugin like XMLImport or XEPG.
4. EPG display is cumbersome to action.
5. Channel list navigation is a pain in the @ss but one get's used to it. I guess I'm spoiled coming from an E2 box but my main gripe is that you cannot easily see what is on per channel in the listings. This could be down to lack of real EPG but it is another major annoyances.
6. You can't consult IMDB from within the OSD.
7. I have yet to find anything wherein the 'Game' mode of the remote works but in fairness it is early days.
8. You have to set USALS per satellite. How daft is that! It is also not easy to see where to do this. It actually took me while to work it out.
9. Miracast does not work with Windows 8.1 which complains that the application is not certified. Workaround is a registry hack. Not ideal. The performance is however, so bad you can forget projecting anything media. Using an Android phone all you get is a thin bar displayed down the centre of the screen. Prety naff if you ask me. Could not find a Windows phone with Miracast support to test and I am not going out to buy a Nokia.
11. Many picons are missing and many that are downloaded do not match the channels they are assigned to.
12. Sound keeps going out of sync.....grrrrrr
13. BBC iPlayer. You cannot watch directly because the player insists you DL & install the BBC Media Player which, is 'not compatible with your device'. What you can do in way of a work around it DL the desired video and play it locally but, wait for it, you can only do so over WLAN. DOH!!!

Priority One Imperative
obviously it's early days but as a priority a stable working EMU is needed NOW for this box or it will die a death before it takes off. It's a shame as it has huge potential.

Just fail to understand how manufacturers can release equipment like this that is so obviously not anywhere near ready for market.

Sorry about the essay.

I urge other owners to add their own experience & niggles to this thread.

capl66

Registered
I agree with you mate, i had high hopes for this box but my patience is stretching very thin, i am having the same issues that you are having! i appreciate the latest oscam, but cant watch those channels (you know what ones)because every 9-10 seconds pixels!!!. there should be an upgrade that will fix all the problems that you have stated!!

DirtyDonki

Registered
Delay bringing up the multi-channel OSD only happens when one is accessing it within a favorites folder. If one is watching via satellite selected from the satellite folder no delay is seen. This is the situation irrespective of whether one is using a locally scanned channel list or an E2 imported one. So not due to E2 import at all as I first suspected.

Anyone else opening S*y HD channels with their A3?

davequattro

Registered
We have tested de amiko a3 here in The Netherlands, and it runs good now, no more glitches with oscam, the dvb-api must have a perfect configuration, otherwise you get glitches.
I used de settings from kos.hdsat.pl and it runs perfect