"Tunneled" meaning

Tonboyre

Registered
Hello all,

Pardon my newbie question. What is the meaning of tunneling? Is it same as simulcrypting? Or multicrypting?

Regards

drhans

Registered
Whats multicrypting?

With tunneling you can use an existing CA protocol implemented in the IRD to pass another CA system's data to a smartcard, I think...

Tonboyre

Registered
It might refer to information sent encapsulated into another format.

I understand the meaning of English word 'tunneling'. I would like to know: what exactly does it mean when phrases like "tunneled Nagra" or "tunneled N*S" are used.

Whats multicrypting?

With tunneling you can use an existing CA protocol implemented in the IRD to pass another CA system's data to a smartcard, I think...

I think multicrypting is AND-ing of encryption systems. This means receiver must support all of the systems for successful decryption. As opposed to simulcrypting, which is OR-ing.

Can you please elaborate on the tunneling part? Where can I read more about it?

drhans

Registered
I understand the meaning of English word 'tunneling'. I would like to know: what exactly does it mean when phrases like "tunneled Nagra" or "tunneled N*S" are used.

I think multicrypting is AND-ing of encryption systems. This means receiver must support all of the systems for successful decryption. As opposed to simulcrypting, which is OR-ing.

I don't think it's any official standard, it's just a made up term to help describe what's going on in some CA systems, usually during a transition period. So I don't think there's much to read except maybe for oscam-emu source code.

drhans

Registered

The multicrypt explanation on that website is so confusing! I think it maybe tries to say that multicrypt is when one service is broadcast twice, each scrambled using different CWs from different CAS. At least that's one explanation that would make sense :) So you encode once but scramble and multiplex twice... total waste of bandwidth, though. Probably only good as a temporary solution.

kebien

Registered

The idea of a "tunnel" mean that the protocol used is a vehicle to insert nagra messages,for example, that the intended receiver must be able to understand.
The fist thing to understand is what nagra or n*s is,the way they support their communication,then understand that the encrypted message might be wrapped using different packetery outlines.

Simulcrypt means the stream is encrypted in CSA but the control words are carried by different ECM encrypted with different system.
Meaning all encryptions in the stream carry the same control words,but at the intended headend,they can use any of the different systems to decrypt.
Or a provider can sell their programming to users with different systems.

There is no concept of AND-ing,since there is only one way the video can be encrypted,meaning you cannot encrypt same video in different ways,unless you stream another of the same video stream encrypted differently,meaning 2 video pids.Or 2 different streams.
And this is the concept of multicrypt,2 or more different systems the intended receiver must be able to cope with.

The article is not confusing,is just explaining something you thought worked differently.
There is no waste of bandwidth,sometimes is just prevention measures against monopolies.(give the consumer another choice).
There is always people that think beyond our comprehension.But make sense once explained.

Last edited:

Tonboyre

Registered
I think it maybe tries to say that multicrypt is when one service is broadcast twice, each scrambled using different CWs from different CAS. At least that's one explanation that would make sense :) So you encode once but scramble and multiplex twice... total waste of bandwidth, though. Probably only good as a temporary solution.

Here is how I understand it: Think of simulcrypting and multicrypting as strategies used in broadcast-and-reception ecosystems. Simulcrypting implies the broadcast side equipment is capable of employing multiple encryption systems to encrypt the signal. While multicypting implies the reception side equipment is capable of employing multiple encryption systems to decrypt the signal.

The fist thing to understand is what nagra or n*s is,the way they support their communication,then understand that the encrypted message might be wrapped using different packetery outlines.
This is what it comes down to it seems. You hit the nail on the head. Is going through oscam code the only way to get better understanding of these things? Is there any other place suitable for beginners?

There is always people that think beyond our comprehension.But make sense once explained.
That's a deep philosophical statement right there! ;)

Last edited:

drhans

Registered
In the end it does not really matter. Simulcrypt is the only standardized mux solution. Multicrypt and tunneling can mean whatever you want it to mean, each CA vendor can implement it differently - unlike simulcrypt, which is always the same, except the protocol version used.