satellites.xml by yourself

maumixio

Staff member
I put this small mini guide for those who want to create or simply edit their own file remembering that each satellite has its own string I put examples and then a complete string especially of transponders with multistreaming streams so we also see this aspect particularly variable in these periods.
It can be edited with various methods. It can also be opened via a browser or with a text editor. I absolutely recommend Notepad ++, which is free on the net.
The modified file will eventually be sent via FTP to the decoder normally in the etc / tuxbox folder but you can also simply put it in / etc in this case the path etc / tuxbox is ignored and then followed by a restart of Enigma2.

Take an existing file, for example mine which is complete, I assure you that those on the net or automatically generated are deficient, and it looks like this; I cut the image to shorten what is needed for this guide and only 2 satellites

I describe the meaning of some lines and then the legend to insert and modify the parameters suitable for reception:

row 1, 2, 5 must remain as they are

The inside of lines 2 and 5 you can write your information they can be one line or many more depends on what you want to remember as annotations in this case for me 2 lines with information on the modification date and interested satellites are enough.

From row 6 we find the first information relating to the satellite (7) and the transponders (8 ....) until we find the closure (/ sat>)

Satellite:
<sat name="5.0W Ku-band Eutelsat 5 West A/B" flags="1" position="-50">
<sat name="9.0E Ku-band Eutelsat 9B & Ka-Sat 9A" flags="1" position="90">
the negative position indicates a satellite to the west 5 ° W (-50) consequently the positive one to the east 9 ° E (90)

<transponder frequency = "10972000" symbol_rate = "29950000" polarization = "1" fec_inner = "3" system = "1" modulation = "2" />

frequency and symbol rate you know everything must only be in the format indicated ie in Hertz
polarization = 0 - Horizontal, 1 - Vertical, 2 - Left Circular, 3 - Right Circular
fec_inner = 0 - Auto, 1 - 1/2, 2 - 2/3, 3 - 3/4, 4 - 5/6, 5 - 7/8, 6 - 8/9, 7 - 3/5, 8 - 4/5, 9 - 9/10, 15 - None
system = 0 = DVB-S, 1 = DVB-S2
modulation = 0 - Auto, 1 - QPSK, 2 - 8PSK, 3 - 16APSK, 5 - 32APSK

Satellite with multistream transponder in addition to what is written above, flow parameters must be added: is_id pls_mode and pls_code

<transponder frequency = "11013000" symbol_rate = "30000000" polarization = "1" fec_inner = "7" system = "1" modulation = "2" is_id = "2" pls_mode = "1" pls_code = "131070" />

is_id = 0 - 255
pls_mode = 0 - Root, 1 - Gold, 2 - Combo
pls_code = 0 - 262142

The file is closed with </satellites>

It is taken from my legend of a few years I hope I have made it understandable and that it is still current (Combo is no longer used I think) if there are inaccuracies or additions to make, write here.

abrasat

Registered
Where can your satellites.xml file be found?

I think that the satellite position in satellites.xml must match the configured satellite position in the config file. For instance if the satellite on 1 W is configured as position -10, but in your satellites.xml you configure it as 0.8 W (position= -8), they will not match and the channels will not be found

maumixio

Staff member
file usually located in /etc/tuxbox or simple /etc and I have no idea about a satellite located at 1°W but this one

<sat name="Intelsat 10-02/Thor (0.8W)" position="-8">

sometimes

<sat flags="1" name="Intelsat 10-02/Thor (0.8W)" position="-8">

abrasat

Registered
The 1 W was just an example...
What I am trying to explain you is that you cannot just copy the satellites.xml file from one receiver to another, if you do not configure the same satellite position in the "/etc/enigma2/settings" file.

For instance the "1 W" position could look like this in the "settings" file:
config.Nims.0.advanced.sat.3591.lnb=3

This means 0.9 W (3600 means position 0)

This requires the following entry in the satellites.xml file:
<sat name="Int.707/Thor2,3(0.9W)" flags="1" position="-9">

The same for Astra. If you have 19.2E in the "settings" file described above:
config.Nims.0.advanced.sat.192.lnb=1

then you have to use the same position in the satellites.xml file:
<sat name="Astra (19.2E)" flags="1" position="192">

The satellite positions in the "satellites.xml" file and in the "settings" file have to match. You cannot give your satellites.xml to somebody else, unless he has exactly the same satellite positions in his "settings" file.

Where can your satellites.xml file be downloaded?

Last edited:

maumixio

Staff member
What I am trying to explain you is that you cannot just copy the satellites.xml file from one receiver to another, if you do not configure the same satellite position in the "/etc/enigma2/settings" file.

The satellite positions in the "satellites.xml" file and in the "settings" file have to match. You cannot give your satellites.xml to somebody else, unless he has exactly the same satellite positions in his "settings" file.

I don't understand btw this is my file for enigma2 receivers and geostationary satellites range Telstar 11N (37.6W) - Eutelsat 70B (70.5E)

Ratzvan

Feed Hunter

Sincerly, I can't understand what the problem is. Of course if you change satellite names then old setting doesn't work.
But this is only a guide that explains how to edit satellites.xml file.
So we have to suppose who want to edit, had a capacity to adapt each satellites.xml files to his need.

Just as example, I use for my dm920 satellites.xml files present in vhannibal setting, but adapt it to my needs (as example adding double satellites for C-BAND positions).
So every time I'm doing a vhannibal setting update, simply I change new satellites.xml file with the one build by me and add missing c-band channels not present in vhannibal's taken from my old setting to the new one. I send everything to my dreambox and everything is fine :thum:

patmos

Registered
Though post is old. It has very interesting informations regarding editing satellite xml.
its helpful to enigma2 users with no blindscan.....