Two cables coming out of an LNB

aleatorul

Registered
Hi all! I'm new here so I hope this is the right section for my question.

My 70 years old boss watches free channels with 2 receivers. Recently some channels moved to other satellites and he asked me if I could help him. But while I'm pretty good at 'speaking' with computers, I know nothing about sat tv. I wanted to understand how his setup works (2 dishes, 2 receivers, lots of cables) but I got stuck right from the start.

He has 2 dishes, each with the same LNB model. From each LNB, 2 cables come out and enter a switch with 2 inputs and 1 output.
Now on the specifications page for the LNB, it says "this LNB enables the reception of signal from one satellite and its distribution to up-to two single-tuner Set-top boxes (or 1 in the case of a twin-tuner STB)"

What I understand from this quote is that the LNB gives the same kind of signal on each of the outputs.
So is there a benefit to merge these 2 identical outputs? Like more signal strength or something? Do these count when selecting the DiSEqC port in the receiver or since it's the same kind of signal it doesn't matter?

The images are just from one dish, but it's identical with the other: https://imgur.com/a/AwmEYWf

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
The LNB is an inverto twin this then goes into a disecq switch .Im guessing one output goes to one receiver and the other to the second receiver. This would give him the same sat on both receivers then the other dish would do the same on both receivers giving him 2 sat positions on each receiver if those receivers has 2 inputs no need for the switch.

How many cable inputs are on the back of each receiver if there is only 1 input that is what the switches are there for to switch between one sat/dish position to the other sat/dish position.