Estate agent made a 'killing'

Laur

Registered
Estate agent made a 'killing'

A German estate agent was shocked to find himself described on TV as one of the most wanted men in the world.
Frank Amsel, from Munich, saw a picture of himself and wife Edith on the local equivalent of Crimewatch.
They were described as "a ruthless Mafia godfather who has been a killer since he was a teenager, and his partner".
Frank, 56, said: "It was quite a shock, I don't mind saying. My wife and I like watching the show and it must have some impact because I spent the next two days convincing the neighbours, boss and family that I am not a crime lord from Boston who has served time in Alcatraz."
The FBI had flown a team to Germany to oversee the airing of a picture of crime boss James "Whitey" Bulger, 79, after hearing he was in Europe.
Instead of being Whitey and his wife Catherine Greig - herself a well-known mobster - they put out a photo of Mr and Mrs Amsel on holiday in Taormina, Sicily.
And it went with the words: "Whitey Bulger and his partner Catherine Greig, 56. Both are believed to be armed and dangerous."
Mr Amsel went on: "Mr Schmidt my neighbour came around with a bottle of beer, said he didn't know I had a sideline, while my mother-in-law took it as an opportunity to tell my wife of 30 years what a mistake she had made in marrying me."
Mr Amsel believes it was holiday snaps of his he placed on the Internet which led to his 15 minutes of infamy.
Bulger, who served time in America's old island fortress jail of Alcatraz, is wanted for being the boss of a band involved in drug dealing, blackmail, and 21 counts of murder. The picture has now been changed.