Chris Hughton sacked by Newcastle

COMPASS

VIP
Newcastle United have parted company with manager Chris Hughton.
The announcement came a day after United were beaten 3-1 at West Brom, a result which left them 11th in the Premier League table.
Hughton guided Newcastle back into the top flight in May after their relegation in the 2008-09 campaign.
However, the club said on their official website they are seeking an individual with more managerial experience to take them forward.
The statement added: "The board would like to place on record their thanks to Chris for his considerable efforts during the club's transition from Championship to Premier League club.
"Chris has shown exceptional character and commitment since being appointed manager in October 2009. The club wishes him well in the future.

"The task of appointing a new manager now begins. An announcement will be made shortly regarding transitional arrangements pending the appointment of a successor."

Speculation has been growing for weeks regarding Hughton's future, although the club revealed in October they would be looking to extend his contract in the new year in response to this.
The defeat at the Hawthorns, after which Hughton keep his players in the dressing room for an hour, was the Magpies seventh of a season that has so far seen them win just two games at home.
However, these were a 5-1 win over local rivals Sunderland in October and a 6-0 triumph against Aston Villa back in August.
They have registered wins at Everton and Arsenal this season under Hughton, but have picked up just two points from a possible 15 since the victory at the Emirates on 7 November.
Hughton, who has been working without an assistant manager since Colin Calderwood joined Hibernian in October, is followed out of the St James' Park exit by goalkeeping coach Paul Barron.
Former Tottenham player and coach Hughton arrived at Newcastle from White Hart Lane in February 2008 as coach to then Magpies boss Kevin Keegan.
He then serves as caretaker manager when Keegan left in September 2008, before reverting to assistant boss when Joe Kinnear was appointed manager on a temporary basis.
When Kinnear fell ill the following February, Hughton again stepped in, before assisting Alan Shearer and Iain Dowie as Newcastle were relegated.
He was once again placed in caretaker charge in the summer of 2009, as owner Mike Ashley sought to sell the club, but the team started the Championship season so well he was given the role on a permanent basis in October of 2009.
He went on to guide Newcastle to the Championship title with two games spare.

bradowen

Registered
unreal m8 .. done his best for the club with them players .. a sad day for bloke who gave effort..

if mr ashley would spend on bigger better squad thats the key .

hughton done his best with that bunch of players ,,

i hope he gets a chance somewhere else best of luck

COMPASS

VIP
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Beardsley & Stone appointed stand-ins[/FONT]

Following the removal of Chris Hughton as Newcastle manager on Monday, the club announced that first team affairs would be handled on a temporary basis by Peter Beardsley and Steve Stone.

COMPASS

VIP
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Now this may just be
a coincidence, but...
[/FONT]

jol-hughton.gif

Chris Hughton's departure as Newcastle boss on Monday was followed within hours by a managerial change over in Holland. Ajax reported on their official website that they had parted company with their manager, Martin Jol.

COMPASS

VIP
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]SJP life and times:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Hughton history[/FONT]

hughton-chris-frown.jpg
Update: statement from Chris Hughton, Monday:

'I am immensely proud of my achievements with Newcastle and I enjoyed a fantastic relationship with the players, my staff and the supporters during my time as manager.
'We have built on last season’s momentum following promotion back up to the Barclays Premier League and have produced some excellent results to see us sitting midway in the table at this stage of the season.
'I now wish them and the club all the very best for the future. The termination of my contract is now in the hands of the LMA and I will therefore be making no further comment at this stage.

The LMA themselves then commented:

"The LMA is extremely disappointed that Newcastle have parted company with Chris given the success the club has experienced since his appointment.

"Not only did Chris secure promotion back to the Barclays Premier League, but achieved two club records in the process; 102 points to secure promotion and the longest sequence of unbeaten league matches (17).
"Throughout his time at Newcastle Chris has conducted himself with tremendous integrity and dignity, the team’s current position of 11th in the Barclays Premier League demonstrating the stabilising effect Chris has had in his role as manager during his period at Newcastle."

And Hughton's former assistant Colin Calderwood said:

"What we had was a terrific team spirit and there was a unique chance for a football club to balance the books to a certain degree and move forward with a bit of stability and I think they can't be forgiven for losing that chance.

"The foundation of the club could have been so much more secure, with a family environment and everyone trying to pull in the right direction if they had stuck with Chris."

On what it was like to work under Ashley:

"I think you've got a fair understanding of where you stand, but it changes quite dramatically."

On how the Newcastle squad will react:

"More so than the vast majority of managers that get the sack they'll be hurt, shocked and saddened by what's happened. It'll be slightly awkward for the new manager in the first instance when he comes in.

"There's probably someone in place already. I think they would have had some sort of discussions or some thought process about a replacement before they went and did this, otherwise it becomes even more stupid than it is at the minute."

Some quotes then purporting to come from Sol Campbell then appeared on Monday evening:

"This will hit the players hard. They admired and liked him and won’t be happy. It makes no sense. Here is a guy who has done an unbelievable job.

"He got the club back into the Premier League and any manager would have been rewarded for that with a new contract, but Chris wasn’t.

"The players are sure to be asking themselves, “What the hell is going on?”, that is only natural. Yes, it has come as a shock, and it will affect the dressing room there is no doubt about that."

Rather than spending his 52nd birthday in the home dugout at SJP against Liverpool this coming Saturday, Chris Hughton will now find himself joining the massed ranks of former Newcastle United managers.

Here's a quick summary of his Gallowgate life and times:

February 2008 moves to NUFC, replacing the departed Nigel Pearson on Kevin Keegan's coaching staff.

September 2008 takes caretaker charge of the first team for the home game against Hull City, following the departure of Kevin Keegan.

September 2008 after three games in charge - and three defeats - remains on SJP coaching staff as Joe Kinnear arrives as "interim manager".

February 2009 second stint as caretaker manager begins away at West Bromwich Albion, after Joe Kinnear is taken ill at the team hotel before the game.

March 2009 returns to the coaching staff following the installation of Alan Shearer as Newcastle manager.

July 2009 continues as interim manager as United begin their pre-season, continuing as the club begin life in the Championship.

October 2009 appointed permanent boss after seeing United top the Championship with 27 points from their opening fourteen games. Agrees a contract taking him until the end of the 2010/11 season.

October 2010 loses assistant Colin Calderwood, who leaves to become Hibernian boss. Unable to recruit a replacement, Steve Stone is promoted from reserve coaching duties, while goalkeeping coach Paul Barron appears to have an increased role.

December 2010 sacked - along with Paul Barron - following a defeat at West Bromwich Albion. The move came just a couple of days after what was probably the most forceful quotes of his time at SJP:

"I can tell you categorically 100 per cent that there's only one person here who selects the team and that will be the normal process. I will select the team."