Note: Visitors from certain countries might see in-text advertising(underlind words in posts) or pop-under ads.
It is only shown to unregistered visitors or members that haven't made any posts. So you can easily get rid of it.

World-Of-Satellite

Tennis News

Sports News

Old 03-10-2008, 13:41  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 14,662 Times in 5,491 Posts

Ferrer survives Suzuki scare
Roddick, Gasquet, Gonzalez and Del Potro all advance

Top seed and defending champion David Ferrer survived an early scare before ousting home favourite Takao Suzuki to clinch his place in the quarter finals of the Japan Open.

The Spaniard, who was also taken to three sets by Jesse Levine on Tuesday, was forced to come from a set down against his Japanese opponent before eventually running out a 4-6 6-3 6-2 victor.

Having beaten 15th seed Simone Bolelli in the previous round and come close to a shock win over Roger Federer in the same tournament two years ago, Suzuki looked on course for another big result as he took advantage of some early sloppiness from Ferrer.

The world number 593 closed out the opening set with a big serve down the middle much to the delight of the partisan crowd.

However, Ferrer - chasing a spot at the season-ending Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai - raised his game in the second and having edged a break ahead served out to square the match.

Back on level terms the world number five looked far more assured and made his extra quality count as he secured two breaks of the Suzuki serve.

He eventually wrapped up the contest after an hour and 20 minutes with a scorching ace, but admitted he had struggled to deal with his opponent early on.

"Takao surprised me," Ferrer stated after the match. "He serves and volleys well but once I broke in the second set I got more confidence.

"The third set was easier. It was a very tough match but I fought with my mind. That's the important thing at the difficult moments."
Tough assignment

Ferrer faces a tough assignment in the next round as he takes on in-form Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro who looked in awesome form as he brushed aside the challenge of Jarkko Nieminen with a 6-1 6-3 straight sets win.

Richard Gasquet produced an equally impressive showing as he dumped out another home hope, Kei Nishikori, also in straight sets.

Nishikori had looked a dangerous opponent for the Frenchman, but his run came to an abrupt halt as Gasquet reeled off a string of winners to record a 6-1 6-2 triumph.

Roddick impresses

Andy Roddick was another to progress in straight sets although he was made to work rather harder by Austrian Jurgen Melzer before sealing a 7-6 6-2 success.

German veteran Rainer Schuettler continued his run with a fine 6-3 7-6 6-4 win over eighth seed Mikhail Youzhny, while there were also victories for third seed Fernando Gonzalez and ninth seed Tomas Berdych who overcame Amer Delic and Tommy Robredo respectively.
Old 03-10-2008, 13:41  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Safina to face Venus
Third seed beats Pironkova, elder Williams sister awaits

Dinara Safina will play Venus Williams in the quarter-finals of the Porsche Grand Prix after both won in straight sets on Thursday.

Russian ace Safina beat Bulgarian qualifier Tsvetana Pironkova 6-1 7-6, racing through the first set before taking the second on an 8-6 tie-break.

It was the world number three's first match at the tournament after receiving a first-round bye and she now faces Wimbledon champion Williams, who served 12 aces as she brushed aside Kateryna Bondarenko 6-4 6-2 in just over an hour.

Williams was pleased with her display, saying afterwards: "I feel comfortable at this tournament.

"It's already a great result and I would love to improve on it."

Earlier, Safina's compatriot Nadia Petrova beat Patty Schnyder of Switzerland 6-4 6-1 to set up a quarter-final clash with China's Li Na, who was a surprise winner over world number one and top seed Serena Williams on Wednesday.
Jankovic on top

Jelena Jankovic, who will regain top spot in the world rankings on Monday, also made it through to the quarter-finals by beating Alona Bondarenko of Ukraine 6-2 6-0.

The Serbian, seeded second in Stuttgart, is to face Russia's Vera Zvonareva in the last eight. Zvonareva beat Marion Bartoli of France 6-2 6-0 earlier in the day.

Jankovic will replace Serena Williams as world number one in the updated rankings after Williams was beaten on Wednesday by China's Li Na.

"I am still waking up at 5am and staring at the ceiling, willing myself back to sleep," admitted Jankovic, who is suffering from jet lag after arriving from Beijing on Monday fresh from winning the China Open.

"I was the first at breakfast this morning and went back again later for a second helping.

"I am eating a lot to get over the jet lag because I am awake for so much of the day."

Russian world number four Elena Dementieva takes on Victoria Azarenka of Belarus in Friday's remaining quarter-final.
Old 04-10-2008, 18:54  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Serena stunned in Stuttgart
Swiss star wins in three sets to face Petrova in second round

Serena Williams' hopes of driving off with the Porsche Grand Prix in Stuttgart came to abrupt end when she was knocked out in the second round by Li Na.

The American succumbed 0-6 6-1 6-4 to her Chinese opponent to lose her opening match in the tournament.

It had looked like the recent US Open champion would cruise through when she raced through the opening set in just 21 minutes.

However, Li came to life after the early setback, putting Williams under increasing pressure before securing a shock result with an ace.

"I just started to make a lot of errors," admitted Williams afterwards. "I pretty much gave it to her, it was like I said: 'Here you go, you have a win today'.
Fought hard

"Maybe I started to doubt myself, I made a lot of mistakes which helps her cause. She played really well, especially in the third set where she just fought for everything."

Patty Schnyder continued her fine run of form by upsetting fifth seed Svetlana Kuznetsova in the first round action on Wednesday.

The 29-year-old Swiss player, who won her first title in three years in Bali this month, beat her Russian opponent 6-4 4-6 7-5 in two hours and five minutes.

She served strongly throughout to set up match-point and clinched victory when Kuznetsova's attempted backhand winner drifted wide.

Schnyder will now go on to face another Russian, Nadia Petrova in the second round after she beat Czech player Barbora Zahlavova Strycova 6-2 6-2.

Old 04-10-2008, 18:55  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Federer swerves Stockholm
US Open champion hopes to return before end of year

Roger Federer has withdrawn from next week's Stockholm Open in an effort to conserve his physical fitness.

The world number two, who lost the top ranking to Rafael Nadal earlier in the season, is taking an extended break following his recent exertions at the US Open, where he claimed his 13th Grand Slam title.

"I was always playing catch up after being diagnosed with mononucleosis at the beginning of the year," Federer said in a statement released by tournament organisers.

"I feel fortunate to be healthy again, but I want to remain at the top of the game for many more years to come and go after the number one ranking again.

"In order to do that, I need to get a proper rest and get strong again so that I am 100 percent fit for the remainder of the year or next year.

"At this point, I am not sure when I will be ready to play again, but I hope to be back at some point before the end of the year."

The Stockholm Open takes place from October 6-12, with world number seven David Nalbandian now the top seed.
Kooyong Classic

But looking to the future, Federer is set to play in the Kooyong Classic in January as part of his Australian Open preparations.

The Swiss ace missed last year's eight-man exhibition event with a stomach virus before then bowing out in the semi-finals of the opening grand slam to eventual champion Novak Djokovic.

World number nine Stanislas Wawrinka and number 10 James Blake are the only other top-10 ranked players so far confirmed for the event.

The field also includes Marat Safin, Marcos Baghdatis, Fernando Gonzalez and Ernests Gulbis.

Tournament director Colin Stubs, who has yet to decide who will fill the eighth place in the draw, said world number one Rafael Nadal planned to rest the week before the Australian Open.

"At the moment Nadal is probably going to do that, although he's got a fairly good reason, he's got some bad knee problems and he doesn't want to extend himself physically a week before a grand slam, which is fair enough," Stubs said.

Old 04-10-2008, 18:56  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Sharapova ends season
Russian ace to miss WTA Tour Championships in Qatar

Russian ace Maria Sharapova has ended her season after failing to regain full fitness from a shoulder injury which has sidelined her since August.

The former world number one will now miss the season-ending WTA Tour Championships, being held in Doha, Qatar for the first time from November 4-9.

She told her official website that while the injury was healing, she still needed more time to make absolutely certain so, along with her team, had decided not play again this term.

It is a disappointing end to a season which had started so brightly when the Russian won the Australian Open in January and regained the world number one spot.

But she lost in straight sets to Russian compatriot Alla Kudryavtseva in the second round at Wimbledon and - after her shoulder injury worsened - she was forced to withdraw from the Beijing Olympics and the US Open.

Old 04-10-2008, 18:57  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Ferrer survives Suzuki scare
Roddick, Gasquet, Gonzalez and Del Potro all advance

Top seed and defending champion David Ferrer survived an early scare before ousting home favourite Takao Suzuki to clinch his place in the quarter finals of the Japan Open.

The Spaniard, who was also taken to three sets by Jesse Levine on Tuesday, was forced to come from a set down against his Japanese opponent before eventually running out a 4-6 6-3 6-2 victor.

Having beaten 15th seed Simone Bolelli in the previous round and come close to a shock win over Roger Federer in the same tournament two years ago, Suzuki looked on course for another big result as he took advantage of some early sloppiness from Ferrer.

The world number 593 closed out the opening set with a big serve down the middle much to the delight of the partisan crowd.

However, Ferrer - chasing a spot at the season-ending Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai - raised his game in the second and having edged a break ahead served out to square the match.

Back on level terms the world number five looked far more assured and made his extra quality count as he secured two breaks of the Suzuki serve.

He eventually wrapped up the contest after an hour and 20 minutes with a scorching ace, but admitted he had struggled to deal with his opponent early on.

"Takao surprised me," Ferrer stated after the match. "He serves and volleys well but once I broke in the second set I got more confidence.

"The third set was easier. It was a very tough match but I fought with my mind. That's the important thing at the difficult moments."
Tough assignment

Ferrer faces a tough assignment in the next round as he takes on in-form Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro who looked in awesome form as he brushed aside the challenge of Jarkko Nieminen with a 6-1 6-3 straight sets win.

Richard Gasquet produced an equally impressive showing as he dumped out another home hope, Kei Nishikori, also in straight sets.

Nishikori had looked a dangerous opponent for the Frenchman, but his run came to an abrupt halt as Gasquet reeled off a string of winners to record a 6-1 6-2 triumph.
Roddick impresses

Andy Roddick was another to progress in straight sets although he was made to work rather harder by Austrian Jurgen Melzer before sealing a 7-6 6-2 success.

German veteran Rainer Schuettler continued his run with a fine 6-3 7-6 6-4 win over eighth seed Mikhail Youzhny, while there were also victories for third seed Fernando Gonzalez and ninth seed Tomas Berdych who overcame Amer Delic and Tommy Robredo respectively.

Old 04-10-2008, 18:59  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Serena gets injury kremlins
US Open champ snubs Moscow tournament

World number one Serena Williams will lose her top ranking on Monday after pulling out of the Kremlin Cup.

Moscow tournament organisers discovered on Friday that the 27-year-old will be unable to compete this year due to an ankle injury.

Williams reached the final in 2007, losing to Elena Dementieva, but the US Open champion has been forced to pull out after making a late decision on her fitness.

"My left ankle has been bothering me since the US Open and I need to take a break now to get it back to 100 percent," Williams said on the tournament's official website.
Goal

The American, who will relinquish the number one spot to Serbia's Jelena Jankovic when the new rankings are released, insists she is determined to return to the summit of women's tennis as soon as she is fit.

"I have played a lot this year and my body needs to recover. My goal is to try and get the number one ranking back.

"My only wish now is that with a week to 10 days of rest I can recover and be at my best for the Sony Ericsson Championships in Doha."

The women's field is the strongest in the 19-year history of the $2.3 million tournament, which starts on Monday, with eight of the world's top 10 players taking part.

Only Williams and world number six Maria Sharapova, who is nursing shoulder injury, are absent.

Old 04-10-2008, 19:00  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Peng pushed all the way
Chinese player wins in three sets to set up last-four clash with Lisicki

Top seed Shuai Peng was pushed all the way by Monica Niculescu as she reached the semi-finals of the WTA Tashkent Open on Friday.

The 22-year-old Chinese player had to come from a set down to beat the Romanian sixth seed 6-7 (6-8) 6-2 6-4 in two hours 52 minutes.

Niculescu took the first set on the tie-break after the players twice traded breaks.

But Peng - who is ranked 30 places above Niculescu in the WTA rankings, sitting in 40th place - broke twice in the second set to level.

She then moved up a gear and won the deciding set thanks to a more accurate game all round.

Her next opponent is fourth seed Sabine Lisicki of Germany after the 19-year-old also battled back from a set down to beat unseeded Urszula Radwanska of Poland 3-6 7-5 7-6 (7/4) in her quarter-final.

Third seed Sorana Cirstea beat 15-year-old Portuguese Michelle Larcher De Brito in straight sets 6-2 7-6 (7/5) to book her semi final place.

She will play fifth seed Magdalena Rybarikova, who saw off Ioana Ralu Olaru 6-1 6-2.

Old 04-10-2008, 19:01  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Ferrer falls to Del Potro
Defending champion KO'd by possible Davis Cup opponent

Juan Martin Del Potro put paid to David Ferrer's hopes of retaining his ATP Japan Open title with a straight sets win in their quarter-final clash.

The Argentine, seeded fifth, triumphed 6-1 7-5 and was always in control of the match after producing some blistering tennis in the first set.

Although Spaniard Ferrer did his best to battle back, managing a break of serve in the second, he was unable to level matters.

At 6-5 he lost his serve to surrender his grip on the crown he claimed last year, as well as slip further back in the race to qualify for Shanghai.

In contrast Del Potro, who needed just 27 minutes to win the first set, could put himself in contention for one of the eight spots at the season-ended Masters Cup with a fifth title of the season.
Mental preparation

"With Ferrer you never feel you have the edge," said the 20-year-old, who could well meet Ferrer again in next month's Davis Cup final.

"I've improved my mental preparation. I'm more positive now than before. That helped me put Ferrer away when he came back at me in the second set."

Ferrer admits he will struggle to clinch a place in China. Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have already qualified.

"I really don't care about Shanghai," said the world number five. "I think it's going to be hard for me to get there now."

Del Potro will now face fourth seed Richard Gasquet for a place in the final after the Frenchman beat German Rainer Schuettler 6-3 6-2.

Second seed Andy Roddick, fresh off a victory at the China Open, will face ninth seed Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic in the other semi-final.

Roddick breezed past Viktor Troicki of Serbia, 6-3 6-4 while Berdych pulled off a 6-0 6-4 upset win over third seed Fernando Gonzalez of Chile.

Old 04-10-2008, 19:01  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Jankovic books Venus date
Azarenka shocks Dementieva in last eight

Second seed Jelena Jankovic will take on sixth-ranked Venus Williams for a place in the final of the WTA Porsche Grand Prix in Stuttgart.

The Serb, who will knock Venus's sister Serena off the top of the world rankings on Monday, was forced to a pair of tie-breaks before overcoming seventh seed Vera Zvonareva of Russia.

Jankovic had to work hard for everything in a first set which took exactly an hour and had to break back the Russian to force the tie-break.

Both players showed their frustration at missed opportunities, but the Serb star found a weakness in Zvonareva's game and used the lob shot to devastating effect.
Accomplishment

The Russian made her frustration work for her by storming into a 2-0 lead early in the second, but Jankovic kept applying the pressure to eventually take the second on a another tie-break.

"That was a hard game, but I am pleased to be in the semi-finals," said Jankovic.

"It's a great accomplishment to be world number one and I don't know anyone who is not happy about being the best in the world at something.

"But the competition is still fierce and you have to keep winning."

Williams enjoyed an easier passage against third seed Dinara Safina, the American making just eight unforced errors as she outplayed the Russian 6-4 6-2.

The first set was a tight affair as Olympic silver medalist Safina matched Williams' powerful service game.

But the second was a different story as Safina struggled to make any impact as Williams showed her full array of shots to keep the Russian under constant pressure.

Olympic champion Elena Dementieva was earlier dumped out by Belarus teenager Victoria Azarenka.

The 19-year-old upset the fourth seed 7-6 3-6 6-1 after nearly three hours play to progress into the semi-finals in Stuttgart as she aims for her first tour title.

But she had to save a set point in the first set before holding her nerve to win the tie-break.

She then lost the second before thumping her opponent in the third when the Russian made too many errors, allowing Azarenka to race to a 5-0 lead.

Dementieva then saved three match points to win her first game but subsequently made two straight errors and put a backhand into the net to lose.
Kept fighting

Azarenka was delighted with her victory, saying: "I just kept on fighting.

"She is such a good opponent, I had to fight for every ball, but my legs are pretty dead now."

Azarenka also reached the semi-finals of the Berlin Open in May, where she lost to Dinara Safina after carrying a leg injury.

"I think I have to come to Germany more often," she joked.

The teenager will now play Nadia Petrova - who won the event in 2006 - in Saturday's semi-final. The unseeded Russian beat China's Li Na 6-2 6-3 in their quarter-final.