Formula 1 News

sky star 2

Super VIP
LAUDA NOT SURPRISED BY SCHU RETURN

Niki Lauda feels Michael Schumacher will be looking on his return to Formula One as "nothing more than an interesting experiment".

Lauda knows what it takes to make a comeback as he spent three years in retirement before hitting the track again in 1982.

The Austrian won the third grand prix of that season, and went on to claim the third of his world titles in 1984.

Yet whilst Lauda returned for the long haul, he is confident that is far from the aim of Schumacher, who replaces the injured Felipe Massa at Ferrari, starting with the European Grand Prix in Valencia on August 23.

"He was never able to detox himself of the racing bug, as we have seen with his on-track motorcycle activities," said Lauda, speaking to the official Formula One website.

"In my opinion he retired at the end of the 2006 season because he couldn't see a real challenge - and probably he regretted his decision.

"Now he's got the unique chance to step in for the injured Massa to help his former team, and to find out for himself how competitive he still is.

"This is something that would also interest me, because this hunger for competition - for the adrenalin rush - never dies. It's in our DNA.

"And the situation as it is now at Ferrari, with a recovering Massa and an available cockpit, gives him the chance to explore how far he is off the top.

"That is a question that always puzzles a top driver like he was.

"For Michael it's nothing more than an interesting experiment."

Although now 40, Schumacher proved his fitness by completing a full day of testing in a 2007 Ferrari a week ago.

The only concern for the seven-times world champion is whether his neck, injured in a bike accident in Spain in February, can withstand the rigours of a full grand prix weekend.

That will be determined next week when Schumacher undergoes tests, with 60-year-old Lauda adding: "Forget about the age.

"He is fit, he's undergoing rigorous training, and mentally he is taking up the challenge.

"He will do everything possible to be fit as a fiddle in Valencia.

"Basically, he has to focus mainly on the muscles that are called on in an F1 car and, of course, the neck.

"But that should be manageable in the next two weeks. In the end the final word will be with the doctors, to decide whether he is in the physical state to race.

"There are some (other) obstacles that he has to overcome, like his unfamiliarity with the track and that he's had no chance to test this year's car.

"But that's part of his challenge and that's why he's doing it, and why the whole world will be watching."

As far as Lauda is concerned, though, the return will be a fleeting one because when asked how long the guest appearance will last, he replied: "Only as long as Massa is in recovery. Period."

sky star 2

Super VIP
PATRICK 'TOO BIG' FOR F1 TEAM

Danica Patrick has effectively been ruled out of a drive in Formula One for next season.

The IndyCar racing star has long been linked with a potential seat with the new American team, US F1, for 2010.

However, given Patrick's profile in American motorsport, US F1 boss Peter Windsor feels the 27-year-old would not suit the fledgling marque.

"A lot of people are saying to us, 'Are you interested in Danica?' And my reply is, in some respects, Danica is too big for us now," Windsor told Sports Illustrated.

"She'll probably go to NASCAR, probably do very well there and she'll probably make a fortune.

"For her to do Formula One, it's a huge commitment at this stage of her career, and her expectation level would be very high.

"We're not going to be fighting for the world championship in year one.

"Reliability and driveability are going to be very important for us, just getting the car designed and built, and a new group working together as a team."

Windsor, though, is intent on standing by his original claim that American drivers will be in the car, but due to circumstances knows the field is limited.

"We need to make the effort to get Americans in our car. That was always our goal and it is still our goal," added Windsor.

"There are very good American drivers out there.

"To be honest, shame on Formula One and on American motorsport that some of these great young Americans with single-seater talent have not been nurtured more and given more opportunity.

"If they'd all been out there racing Formula Renault, Formula Three, GP2, we'd be in a different ballpark right now."

sky star 2

Super VIP
ALONSO 'TO RACE IN VALENCIA'

Organisers of the European Grand Prix are confident Fernando Alonso will be racing in Valencia in a fortnight's time.

Alonso's Renault team were handed a one-race suspension following the Hungarian Grand Prix 12 days ago after compromising safety regulations, resulting in the Spaniard losing a tyre off his car.

Renault now face an International Court of Appeal hearing at the FIA headquarters in Paris on August 17 as they seek to overturn the ban.

Race promoters in Valencia were outraged at the time as they feared losing a considerable amount of revenue without Alonso on track.

However, company operations director Carlos Moreno-Figueroa is convinced the ban will be lifted.

"I call on all those who are doubting whether or not to buy a ticket depending on the presence of Alonso to do so," said Moreno-Figueroa in the Costa Levante News.

"We are being told from every side that he will be in Valencia."

Ticket sales, though, have been significantly boosted by Michael Schumacher's return, with the seven-times world champion due to deputise for Ferrari in the absence of the injured Felipe Massa.

A spokesman for organisers, Valmor Sport, said: "The participation of Schumacher has enabled us to sell 10,000 tickets in just one week."

sky star 2

Super VIP
WEBER QUELLS SCHU CONCERNS

Michael Schumacher's manager, Willi Weber, has downplayed corners that a neck injury could put an end to his brief Formula One comeback.

Schumacher is set to make his return for Ferrari at the European GP in Valencia, replacing the injured Felipe Massa.

However, there are some concerns over the German's own fitness as he is still suffering from a neck injury.

"He's still not absolutely certain that his neck will hold up. His return depends on medical examinations which have yet to take place. Only after these tests will it be clear if he can drive," his spokeswoman Sabine Kehm told German agency SID.

Weber, though, is confident that Schumacher's return, which will come with its own memorabilia and merchandise, will go ahead.

"It is pure speculation that Michael will not race in Valencia," Weber told Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. "We are preparing for the fact that he will be there."

sky star 2

Super VIP
MOSLEY BACKS SCHUMACHER TO SHINE

FIA president Max Mosley is excited at Michael Schumacher's return and expects top results from the former world champion.

"Michael Schumacher is a winner, he has proven that ... He can win," the FIA president told German daily Bild.

Mosley called Schumacher's comeback "great" and said "it will give Formula One a big boost."

Pending approval from doctors, Schumacher will take the place of Felipe Massa at the Ferrari team until the Brazilian has recovered from head injuries sustained in a crash two weeks ago in Hungary.

His first scheduled race is the European GP on August 23 in Valencia.

sky star 2

Super VIP
BRAWN: MODIFICATIONS HAVE PUT US BACK

Ross Brawn has blamed the team's recent modifications to the BGP001 for their downward spiral, saying that while they were meant to improve the car, they have in fact made it worse.

After winning six of the opening seven grands prix of the season, Brawn GP were heads and shoulders the team to beat. That, though, changed in the last three races where Red Bull, McLaren and even Ferrari overtook them on the track.

Brawn's biggest problem has been their tyres as both Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello have struggled to heat their rubber up to the optimum working temperatures.

The problem has seen Brawn's lead in both Championships slashed dramatically with Button only 18.5 points ahead of Mark Webber while Red Bull are just 15.5 adrift of Brawn.

"It's true that the opposition has got a lot stronger, but in the first part of the season we were getting the most out of the tyres and unexpectedly we've had problems there (since)," team boss Brawn told the Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper.

"It's certainly related to some modification which we've introduced during the year and so we are analysing exactly every step we've taken to understand what has caused this problem."

The team's decline hasn't been helped by Formula One's ban on in-season testing, which prevents all the teams from running outside of grand prix weekends.

"I would be more comfortable if we had been able to do some testing," he said. "But this is a challenge which the regulations impose this year."

But it's not all doom and gloom for Brawn as Button's race engineer Andrew Shovlin is confident the BGP001 remains a race-winning car.

"We know the car is still quick," Shovlin told the BBC. "We just need to work out why it has become so sensitive to conditions.

"At the moment there is such a small window where it is working really well and we can't cope with that. We need to fix it so it's quick on any track and in any temperature.

"It's not as simple as going back to an old car specification. That's not the answer; it is something much more subtle than that.

"We may have done something to the car to make it more sensitive."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BADOER TO REPLACE SCHUMACHER

Ferrari have reacted quickly to the news Michael Schumacher will not race at the European Grand Prix by naming test driver Luca Badoer as his replacement.

Schumacher, a seven-time F1 world champion, had agreed to help out former team Ferrari and step in for Felipe Massa on a temporary basis after the Brazilian suffered head injuries at the Hungarian Grand Prix last month.

But the German has now abandoned the comeback after failing to shrug off a neck injury suffered in a motorbike accident in February.

Schumacher told his official website: "Yesterday evening, I had to inform Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo and Team Principal Stefano Domenicali that unfortunately I'm not able to step in for Felipe.

"I really tried everything to make that temporary comeback possible, however, much to my regret it didn't work out."

The 40-year-old had intended to return in Valencia on August 23 but testing designed to help Schumacher re-acclimatise himself with the rigours of F1 have shown the injuries to his neck are "too severe".

Schumacher reportedly posted strong times having driven Kimi Raikkonen's 2007 World Championship-winning Ferrari at the Mugello circuit in Italy but the neck flared up again afterwards.

He added: "Unfortunately we did not manage to get a grip on the pain in the neck which occurred after the private F1-day in Mugello, even if medically or therapeutically we tried everything possible.

"The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike-accident in February, fractures in the area of head and neck, unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe.

"That is why my neck cannot stand the extreme stresses caused by Formula 1 yet.

"This are the clear results of the examinations we did on the course of the past two weeks and the final examination yesterday afternoon.

"As there were no improvements after the day in Mugello, I decided at short notice on Sunday to do that thorough examination yesterday.

"I am disappointed to the core.

"I am awfully sorry for the guys of Ferrari and for all the fans which crossed fingers for me.

"I can only repeat that I tried everything that was within my power. All I can do now is to keep my fingers crossed for the whole team for the coming races."

Montemozolo was disappointed the audacious plan to reintroduce Schumacher to F1 had failed to come off, but he feels Badoer deserves his chance.

"I am very unhappy that a problem means that Michael cannot return to racing," Montezemolo said.

"In the past few days, I could appreciate his great efforts and extraordinary motivation which had spread through the team and fans around the world.

"No doubt his return would have been good for Formula One and I am sure it would have seen him fighting for wins again," he added.

"In the name of Ferrari and all the fans, I wish to thank him for the strong attachment he displayed for the team in these circumstances.

"In agreement with Stefano Domenicali, we have therefore decided to give Luca Badoer the chance to race for the Scuderia after he has put in so many years of hard work as a test driver."

Badoer last raced in Formula One a decade ago. He made 48 starts for Lola, Minardi and Forti Course but failed to register a single point.

sky star 2

Super VIP
JORDAN FEELS 'ROBBED' OVER SCHU KO

Eddie Jordan claims Formula One has been "robbed" after Michael Schumacher opted against a return to the sport on medical grounds.

Schumacher, a seven-time F1 world champion, had agreed to help out former team Ferrari and step in for Felipe Massa on a temporary basis after the Brazilian suffered head injuries at the Hungarian Grand Prix last month.

But the German has now abandoned the comeback after failing to shrug off a neck problem suffered in a motorbike accident in February.

Jordan, the founder and former owner of Jordan Grand Prix, a Formula One constructor which operated from 1991 to 2005, told TalkSport the German's decision is a major setback for F1.

"Lance Armstrong wouldn't compete in the Tour de France if he wasn't 100% fit and Schumacher is exactly the same," said Jordan.

"But I am surprised it has taken this long (for him to make a decision).

"He has the speed but not the ability to go two hours in a race with his neck after the accident.

"Ferrari would have had the best medical people on the case but he is not up to the job. We have been robbed because I wanted to see how he could cope with these young guys."

Jordan questioned why Schumacher had put himself in a position to sustain the neck injury in the first place, adding: "What was he thinking with the bikes, he had rocks in his head."

The Irishman claimed Schumacher's decision to abandon his comeback will be a huge blow to Ferrari although he believes it may accelerate the timeframe for Massa's comeback and could even prompt a move to take Fernando Alonso from Renault.

"Massa has, thank goodness, made a huge recovery and this may give him the impetus to come back earlier and don't be surprised if he returns at Monza (on September 13)," said Jordan.

"But this is a huge setback for Ferrari. Schumacher needed to come back to inspire confidence and give them a boost, as the sport needs Ferrari.

"There are a number of drivers who won't get a drive next year and what's to say that Ferrari won't try to do a deal with (Renault managing director) Flavio Briatore as my information is that Alonso is going to Ferrari next year.

"Why don't they bring it forward? If I was Ferrari that is what I would try to do."

sky star 2

Super VIP
SCHUMACHER CALLS OFF F1 COMEBACK

Michael Schumacher has called off his Formula One comeback due to concerns over a neck injury.

But the German has now abandoned the comeback after failing to shrug off an injury suffered in a motorbike accident in February.

Schumacher told his official website: "Yesterday evening, I had to inform Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo and Team Principal Stefano Domenicali that unfortunately I'm not able to step in for Felipe.

"I really tried everything to make that temporary comeback possible, however, much to my regret it didn't work out."

The 40-year-old had intended to return at the European Grand Prix in Valencia on August 23 but testing designed to help Schumacher re-acclimatise himself with the rigours of F1 have shown the injuries to his neck are "too severe".

Schumacher reportedly posted strong times having driven Kimi Raikkonen's 2007 World Championship-winning Ferrari at the Mugello circuit in Italy but the neck flared up again afterwards.

He added: "Unfortunately we did not manage to get a grip on the pain in the neck which occurred after the private F1-day in Mugello, even if medically or therapeutically we tried everything possible.

"The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike-accident in February, fractures in the area of head and neck, unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe.

"That is why my neck cannot stand the extreme stresses caused by Formula 1 yet.

"This are the clear results of the examinations we did on the course of the past two weeks and the final examination yesterday afternoon.

"As there were no improvements after the day in Mugello, I decided at short notice on Sunday to do that thorough examination yesterday.

"I am disappointed to the core.

"I am awfully sorry for the guys of Ferrari and for all the fans which crossed fingers for me.

"I can only repeat that I tried everything that was within my power. All I can do now is to keep my fingers crossed for the whole team for the coming races."

Schumacher, who retired at the end of the 2006 season, won five championships with Ferrari and had been working as a consultant for the Italian team before making the shock decision to return to racing at the highest level.

The German, who claimed his other two drivers' crowns with Benetton, has entered 250 grands prix, winning a record 91 of them.

sky star 2

Super VIP
SCHUMI THANKS FERRARI FOR SUPPORT

Michael Schumacher expressed his disappointment at not being able to race for Ferrari in this month's European Grand Prix in Valencia, but thanked the team for giving him their backing.

Schumacher agreed to step into the cockpit to replace Felipe Massa, who was left with serious head injuries after being struck by a spring off Rubens Barrichello's Brawn GP car during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix,

But the German's bid to return to Formula One has been dashed due to a previous neck injury.

The 40-year-old injured his neck during a fall from a motorbike in February and has not recovered enough to sit in the Ferrari cockpit in just over 10 days' time.

"First of all I would like to express my regret that I have to be here, but my first wish is to thank the lads at Ferrari who have been extremely supportive of me in this phase and to whom I am extremely sorry," he told a press conference today.

"I would also like to say a huge thanks to all the fans who have motivated and supported me more than I could have dreamed of."

Schumacher recently tested Ferrari's F2007 on the Tuscan circuit of Mugello in preparation for his return in Valencia, but he realised afterwards his neck was not yet strong enough to deal with the strains of a Grand Prix weekend.

He had discussed his potential return with his doctor before and after the tests in Mugello and they decided the only way to know would be to sit in the car and see how the neck reacted.

The results have led to Schumacher having to call off his Formula One comeback.

"I was happy to drive and help our team with all the emotion and motivation that I have and with full engagement, but then it has not worked out," he explained.

"It is only when a driver sits in such a Formula One car that you can gather the information on whether it is possible or not.

"We have not made a secret about my motorcycle crash and we said from the very beginning that we would check the situation with these tests in Mugello.

"The doctor told me before that this test would be decisive and obviously we needed a bit of time afterwards to see how it developed and only after that we could make a definitive analysis and answer."

Ferrari's test driver Luca Badoer will now race alongside team-mate Kimi Raikkonen in Spain and Schumacher says there is no better driver to step in.

"Badoer has been in the sport for as long as me, if I remember rightly, and he has been a test driver for us with the task of being fit and ready for this kind of situation," he said.

"He is the one who knows the team the best, knows all the procedures, the engineers and the details of the car so he is the perfect solution in my eyes."

Schumacher was coy on a potential return to Formula One if he makes a complete recovery from his neck injury, insisting: "Speculation is in this business all the time, but of course it is not an issue I am currently dealing with."

He instead preferred to think of seeing Massa back in a Ferrari as soon as possible.

He said: "Of course I am in constant contact with Felipe, not because we are colleagues but because we have been friends privately for a long time.

"We spoke yesterday and he is good and motivated to get back as soon as possible.

"He is looking forward to getting back into the car. The real positive about this whole thing is that he is so well after this dangerous accident."

sky star 2

Super VIP
PROST BACKS SCHUMACHER PULL-OUT

Alain Prost says Michael Schumacher has made the right decision not racing for Ferrari given the severity of his neck injury.

Earlier this week, Schumacher called off his return to Formula One after scans on his neck revealed that he still had not recovered from the fractures suffered in a motorbike accident in February.

The decision disappointed Schumacher fans around the world, but Prost says it was the right decision.

"The desire and motivation to return takes time to disappear, it takes several years to abandon F1," the former world champion told Le Parisien.

"Michael and I hung up our helmets for different reasons, but when you were competitive the temptation to return when asked is great.

"If there was any physical risk, Schumacher was right. The neck is crucial in motorsport and if there is pain you can quickly feel nausea and have impaired vision."

But although Schumacher is citing his neck injury as the reason for his aborted return, Prost wonders if perhaps the seven-time world champion also had some doubts about how he would perform.

"It remains to be seen if Schumacher stopped solely because of the health problem, or because when he resumed driving he realised that the task was enormous," the Frenchman added.

"He has not started in F1 for three years and only had three weeks to prepare. The body changes very quickly when you stop racing, a driver does not react the same way and the vision is not as sharp.

"When I returned in 1993 after eight months it was very difficult to find the best level, Schumacher may need more time.

"In 1994 McLaren asked me to take the wheel. I conducted three days of testing and I immediately realised that something was broken. The speed was there, but not the will to manage the pressure, travel and media that comes with a championship contest.

"A year later, Jean Todt suggested that I become team-mate to Schumacher to help him become champion at Ferrari. I would have been clearly number two, which was ok - I almost drove, but finally I did not, for the same reasons."

sky star 2

Super VIP
ALONSO: BUTTON IS FAVOURITE

Fernando Alonso believes Jenson Button should still win this year's world championship despite Red Bull's recent emergence.

After winning six of the opening seven races, Button has failed to even finish on the podium in the last three grands prix while his Red Bull rivals have taken up the chase.

With a total of five podium finishes, including two race wins, split between Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel in the past three events, the Red Bull duo have emerged as the dominant force, closing the gap to Button in the standings.

Since Button's last win, Webber has cut his lead by 15 points to just 18.5 with Vettel also taking nine points off the Brit, leaving him 23 points adrift.

But, despite Red Bull's charge, Renault star Alonso reckons Button will be the driver crowned World Champion come the end of the season.

"Difficult (to say) now with the Red Bull recovery in the last grands prix, but I'm still betting on Button for the World Championship," he told a Renault podcast.

"The advantage is still there, even if the Red Bulls now are quite quick it is difficult to always get 1-2, 1-2 in the races.

"So I think Button, if he manages the situation, is the big favourite."

As for his own goals in the remaining seven races of the championship, Alonso believes a podium finish could be within Renault's reach as the team tries to emulate last year's end of season success when the Spaniard secured two race wins.

"Yes, I do," he said when asked if he could finish in the top three. "We proved last year that anything is possible in Formula 1.

"Renault has always proved as well their capacity to improve the cars and to find the direction to go.

"So I think this year I don't see any reason not to be optimistic for the rest of the Championship and hopefully a podium, or win, is still possible."

sky star 2

Super VIP
NO SCHUMACHER BUT F1 CAN MOVE ON

Michael Schumacher's abortive return to the Formula One paddock due to a neck injury has been greeted with widespread dismay, but should we really be so downbeat?

Schumacher is an unquestionable box-office draw and his return in place of the convalescing Felipe Massa was worthy of bumper column inches for a sport that often fails to grab the limelight for purely sporting reasons.

Having the most successful driver in the history of the sport announce his comeback with its most famous team was a mouth-watering prospect for some.

But as for whether we were really ready for the Schumacher name to return, is it not better to draw a line under his prominent place in the record books and say 'that's it - thank you and goodnight'?

Ninety-one wins and seven world championships in a career spanning 16 years represented dominance of the sport never before witnessed - and unlikely to be ever repeated.

As brilliant as Schumacher was, there is an argument that his years of dominance with the Prancing Horse between 2000 and 2005 proved a damaging period for F1.

Stage-managed finishes involving the Ferraris brought unwelcome headlines for the sport, first at the 2002 Austrian GP when Rubens Barrichello slowed in sight of the chequered flag to gift Schumacher the win, then at the USGP later that same season, when Schumacher - bafflingly - tried to architect a dead-heat finish, only for Barrichello to unwittingly take the win.

These two incidents came to typify Schumacher's time at Ferrari - utter dominance, blended with supreme talent and reliability, but marred by acts which damaged the show.

High-profile, title-deciding clashes with Damon Hill at Adelaide in 1994 and Jacques Villeneuve at Jerez in 1997 also affected Schumacher's legacy, as did his infamous accident in qualifying for the 2006 Monaco Grand Prix, when he stopped his car on the racing line at Rascasse, denying title rival Fernando Alonso a shot at pole.

For the sake of balance, there were many brilliant performances during his career. How about finishing second at the 1994 Spanish Grand Prix despite being stuck in fifth gear for much of the race, or his victory from 16th on the grid at Spa in 1995, or his supreme three-stop victory at the 1998 Hungarian Grand Prix?

These - and many more like them - were outstanding, sublime displays.

Schumacher's talent was never in question, though whether he was always a positive force for the sport of Formula One is a debate that will rage, unresolved, for years to come.

For all its off-track shenanigans, Formula One is arguably in a healthier state now than it was at the height of Schumacher's dominance.

Alonso and Renault ensured the final two seasons of Schumacher's career ended without titles, and since the German's retirement the crown has gone to Kimi Raikkonen and Lewis Hamilton in championship battles that were decided by a single point.

And in 2009 the sport has flourished yet further.

The emergence of Jenson Button as a contender with Brawn GP has come as a breath of fresh air, while the form of the Red Bulls serves only to underline the unpredictable nature of this year's championship.

The sport's grandees might ask themselves what they have really lost by Schumacher not returning to the sport.

Does F1 need the Schumacher name to keep the fans happy? Based on results so far this season, the answer would be an emphatic 'no'.

The drivers' title looks set to go down to the wire with Button's lead coming under ever increasing threat, while Hamilton's return to the winner's rostrum in Hungary gives the battle added spice.

Alonso, often billed the best all-round driver in the sport, remains hugely popular, while the enigmatic Raikkonen is - while monosyllabic - a character that hits the right buttons with many followers.

And what of Schumacher's Ferrari heir, Massa?

Here's a guy that raised his profile enormously with his dignity in defeat in last season's title decider in his homeland, while the media attention heaped on his shoulders following his accident in Hungary has seen his stock rise yet further.

The bottom line is the only F1 stars that really matter in any era are those of today, not yesterday.

Schumacher deserves his place among the upper echelon of grand prix drivers, of course, but his failure to return is not the crushing blow that some proclaim.

Indeed, it opens up another avenue of intrigue which the sport would do well to play up.

Test driver Luca Badoer's elevation to the Ferrari race team is a story that might lack the punch of the prodigal son's return, but in its own right it is no less a remarkable tale.

Forty-nine races without scoring a point is a dismal career record in anyone's book, but at a stroke Badoer has the chance to set that to rights by starting a grand prix in one of the best cars on the grid.

And anyone who saw the Italian burst into tears by the side of his Minardi after it broke down on its way to what seemed a certain fourth place at the 1999 European Grand Prix would surely not begrudge him his moment in the spotlight.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Lauda: Brawn still the favourites

Niki Lauda says Brawn GP are still the favourites to win this year's World titles, their success quite a surprise to the former World Champ.

With seven races remaining, Brawn GP are leading both Championships after a flying start to the season saw the team bag six victories in the opening seven races.

All six went to Jenson Button, who holds an 18.5-point advantage over Mark Webber while Brawn are 15.5 points in front of Red Bull Racing.

"Believe me, their (Brawn GP) success caught me with the same surprise as everybody else. They have managed to come up with a fantastic package that has to be beaten first," Lauda told the official F1 website.

"But since the start of the season all the others have caught up, especially Red Bull Racing with their new aero package, and to my surprise McLaren, with their win (the first for a KERS car) in Budapest.

"Ross has to keep up with his development speed, but clearly at the moment they are the favourites for both Championships."

The Austrian, though, warns that Brawn GP could face a massive challenge from both McLaren and Ferrari as the season draws to an end as both teams have put their early season woes behind them.

"Of course both teams will develop their car come hell or high water and at the moment McLaren seem to be on a more promising path, as we saw in Budapest. I expect them to raise their game massively for the upcoming races."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Busy schedule for Toro Rosso rookie

Jaime Alguersuari has a busy schedule ahead as the Toro Rosso rookie racer aims to learn as much as possible as he embarks on his fledgling F1 career.

Alguersuari competed in his debut grand prix in Hungary, putting in an impressive performance especially given that prior to the race the 19-year-old had yet to complete a full lap in a F1 car.

Following the Budapest GP, Alguersuari returned to Formula Renault where he claimed the victory in Portugal.

However, his desire to learn more about racing means he has signed up to contest even more events outside of Formula One.

"I will be competing in the KZI World Karting Championship in Sarno, Naples (Italy) in September," he told Toro Rosso's website.

"I am only interested in learning, and learning to compete against the best. Portimao and Sarno mean the same to me, pitting myself against the best drivers right now."

sky star 2

Super VIP
'BMW aim to end F1 career in the fast lane'

BMW team boss Mario Theissen insists the team will continue to push for results despite having recently announced they will be leaving F1 at the end of the season.

During the summer break, BMW shocked the F1 community when they announced that they would be withdrawing from F1 at the season, citing a desire to focus their attention on other motor racing series as the season.

The decision came as a surprise to many as despite BMW's dismal results this season they were not being tipped as a possible withdrawal.

But despite exiting the sport in less than three months' time, Theissen insists the team will be doing all they can to ensure that Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld conclude BMW's F1 career on a high note.

"Clearly we're all disappointed about the decision to withdraw from Formula 1," the German said.

"The team had established itself at the top in just three years and we would love to have shown that the poor results we've had this season were just a blip. Now our work is focusing on the next few months.

"While efforts are continuing behind the scenes to find a solution for the team, everybody is aware that putting in good performances at the circuits is the best way to advertise their abilities.

"We want to get back into the fast lane, and so the development packages for Valencia and Singapore will be put into practice as planned."

sky star 2

Super VIP
'Kehm: Schumi could still race

Michael Schumacher could still race in this year's Championship, according to his spokesperson Sabine Kehm.

On Monday, the German announced that he would not be taking part in next weekend's Valencia GP after scans revealed his neck fractures, sustained in a motorbike accident, had yet to heal.

The decision disappointed many Formula One fans, who were eagerly anticipating the prospect of watching him the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel.

But just because he's pulled out of Valencia, that doesn't mean Schumacher won't stand in for the injured Felipe Massa at a later stage.

"I do not believe that he will be racing very soon but Michael doesn't want to be completely excluded just yet," Sabine Kehm told the Bild.

sky star 2

Super VIP
PROST BACKS SCHUMACHER PULL-OUT

Alain Prost says Michael Schumacher has made the right decision not racing for Ferrari given the severity of his neck injury.

Earlier this week, Schumacher called off his return to Formula One after scans on his neck revealed that he still had not recovered from the fractures suffered in a motorbike accident in February.

The decision disappointed Schumacher fans around the world, but Prost says it was the right decision.

"The desire and motivation to return takes time to disappear, it takes several years to abandon F1," the former world champion told Le Parisien.

"Michael and I hung up our helmets for different reasons, but when you were competitive the temptation to return when asked is great.

"If there was any physical risk, Schumacher was right. The neck is crucial in motorsport and if there is pain you can quickly feel nausea and have impaired vision."

But although Schumacher is citing his neck injury as the reason for his aborted return, Prost wonders if perhaps the seven-time world champion also had some doubts about how he would perform.

"It remains to be seen if Schumacher stopped solely because of the health problem, or because when he resumed driving he realised that the task was enormous," the Frenchman added.

"He has not started in F1 for three years and only had three weeks to prepare. The body changes very quickly when you stop racing, a driver does not react the same way and the vision is not as sharp.

"When I returned in 1993 after eight months it was very difficult to find the best level, Schumacher may need more time.

"In 1994 McLaren asked me to take the wheel. I conducted three days of testing and I immediately realised that something was broken. The speed was there, but not the will to manage the pressure, travel and media that comes with a championship contest.

"A year later, Jean Todt suggested that I become team-mate to Schumacher to help him become champion at Ferrari. I would have been clearly number two, which was ok - I almost drove, but finally I did not, for the same reasons."

sky star 2

Super VIP
ALONSO: BUTTON IS FAVOURITE

Fernando Alonso believes Jenson Button should still win this year's world championship despite Red Bull's recent emergence.

After winning six of the opening seven races, Button has failed to even finish on the podium in the last three grands prix while his Red Bull rivals have taken up the chase.

With a total of five podium finishes, including two race wins, split between Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel in the past three events, the Red Bull duo have emerged as the dominant force, closing the gap to Button in the standings.

Since Button's last win, Webber has cut his lead by 15 points to just 18.5 with Vettel also taking nine points off the Brit, leaving him 23 points adrift.

But, despite Red Bull's charge, Renault star Alonso reckons Button will be the driver crowned World Champion come the end of the season.

"Difficult (to say) now with the Red Bull recovery in the last grands prix, but I'm still betting on Button for the World Championship," he told a Renault podcast.

"The advantage is still there, even if the Red Bulls now are quite quick it is difficult to always get 1-2, 1-2 in the races.

"So I think Button, if he manages the situation, is the big favourite."

As for his own goals in the remaining seven races of the championship, Alonso believes a podium finish could be within Renault's reach as the team tries to emulate last year's end of season success when the Spaniard secured two race wins.

"Yes, I do," he said when asked if he could finish in the top three. "We proved last year that anything is possible in Formula 1.

"Renault has always proved as well their capacity to improve the cars and to find the direction to go.

"So I think this year I don't see any reason not to be optimistic for the rest of the Championship and hopefully a podium, or win, is still possible."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BOURDAIS FIRED BY TEXT

Sebastien Bourdais has revealed that Toro Rosso sacked him via text message.

The 30-year-old was dropped as STR driver a few days after the German Grand Prix and Spanish rookie Jaime Alguersuari was appointed his replacement.

Bourdais admitted afterwards that he was "very disappointed and shocked" and "instructed my lawyers to review the situation".

However, the Frenchman decided to settle out of court with the Italian-based outfit.

With the dust around their settlement finally settling, Bourdais has now decided to speak up about the way Toro Rosso handled his departure.

He told French magazine Auto Hebdo that Red Bull Racing owner Dietrich Mateschitz didn't go down the normal route to sack him.

"The way they got rid of me was very disappointing," he said. "Dietrich Mateschitz was at the Nürburgring but he did not speak with me. He did not call me. Everything was done by SMS, which to me has no style."