The choice of the HD receiver (2014)

S

satsid

Hi m8,iv a Azbox Premium & it works well for my needs from satellite.If your dish is big enough & you like satellite feeds,maybe the Azbox is the right way 2 go(IE 4.2.2).Azbox Premium will also do them things that are not talked about.

maidiremaik

Registered
Hi i too have dm800 hd but I'm not satisfied at all.
I so decided to build a linux base machine called vdr.
I think this is the best solution but is very hard to do!
it is a complete htpc system
good luck

B M W

Registered
Which HD unit for North America ?

hi guys looking into hd unit but have no idea which one works here in usa , All i know it should be Linux based, MPEG-4, NTSC and i guess it should have new NEWCAMD feature as well

any help would be great....thanks

Last edited:

B M W

Registered
well dreambox 800 only support Mpeg 2 as far i know unless i am wrong.... i need the one that support Mpeg 4

talking about Azbox i think they do have Mpeg 4 unit but i am not sure if they are able to pull HD channels here in USA

what i am finding out any HD unit which support Mpeg 4, it has to have a space to add on 8psk module so you can get the hd channels , Now i am wondering if Azbox hd unit have the 8psk model option ??

thanks for getting back to me man

cheers

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Don't think there is anything special with USA channels compared to European channels for which we use these hdtv boxes.

Most of the satellite hdtv channels use mpeg4 and dm800 or any other hd box can handle them fine. It may not say mpeg4 in the specs but it does say H.264 which is also called "MPEG-4 Part 10".

As to 8psk it doesn't have to be mentioned in the specs, it should be implied that box supports it if it is hdtv box.

av2009

Registered
well dreambox 800 only support Mpeg 2 as far i know unless i am wrong.... i need the one that support Mpeg 4

talking about Azbox i think they do have Mpeg 4 unit but i am not sure if they are able to pull HD channels here in USA

what i am finding out any HD unit which support Mpeg 4, it has to have a space to add on 8psk module so you can get the hd channels , Now i am wondering if Azbox hd unit have the 8psk model option ??

thanks for getting back to me man

cheers

All of the linux HD receivers support mpeg4 and with 8psk. 90% of the HD channels in the UK/Europe are mpeg 4 . So the Azbox and 800 both do. There is no difference between UK/EUR/US HD boxes, only the mains voltage.

Last edited:

B M W

Registered
interesting, so Azbox comes with 8psk module installed and dreambox 800 i wasn't sure on that

Few units, like sonicview 8000 HD or Viewsat 9000 they came to usa for HD use they didn't have 8psk installed, general public were installing them afterward. but those unit were not Linux based

here is the video link what they had to do to

i like the linux units better , i will look into Azbox more i guess

anymore info or any other box to look into , i be happy to look at it, cause i am gonna take time before i buy HD Unit

av2009

Registered
interesting, so Azbox comes with 8psk module installed and dreambox 800 i wasn't sure on that

Few units, like sonicview 8000 HD or Viewsat 9000 they came to usa for HD use they didn't have 8psk installed, general public were installing them afterward. but those unit were not Linux based

here is the video link what they had to do to

i like the linux units better , i will look into Azbox more i guess

anymore info or any other box to look into , i be happy to look at it, cause i am gonna take time before i buy HD Unit

There are many options with all your requirements. Some of them are as follows:

VU+ DUO- 2 tuners linux

DM800

DM500HD

IPBOX 900/9000

Azbox

The first three have much better support than the Azbox. As a starter I would say a DM800 is a nice box, if you u get a chinese clone its cheap too. The Azbox isnt really doing well in the UK, the support is bad.

B M W

Registered
thanks guys

Vu+Duo and the IPbox 9000 do they have NEWCAMD option ?
what kind of system they can run under?, i am looking for NeWCamd and Rqcamd option to run it

Last edited:

SATWORLD1

Registered
i dont think you should buy something new that is less than 2 years in the market.
reading info from forums it not good because most of the messages written in forums are made by workers or sellers of these receivers.
no one know if its really good or not .
you should see and tet it with your own eyes
dm 800 hd work ok and dm 500 hd also the 500 has a hdmi also and cost less.
if you want cccam go for the 500hd if you want better receiver you have all these brands
vu
ezbox premium
dgstation 900hd -9000hd

jenniferdiane

Registered
best hd reciever

help guys im confiused im thinking of getting a openbox hd or can someone suggest a good linux hd box easy to use easy to load clines in and do updates etc hellp

brianmullen8

Registered
ipbox with enigma2 is rock solid, pain to set up at first but solid when done.

dm800 have overheating, freezing issues and will cost about £130 from china.

I paid £100 for my ipbox 900hd and i am very impressed, they even play divx from usb and hdd which is a big bonus for me.

iq180

Registered
the az hd premium plus is a great reciver and it works great
in the US hd works good but if you want to use it on DN
keep in mind that DN uses 8 psk turbo and the az dont work
on 8 psk turbo and i dont no of a stb that will do turbo hd.