Red Light Fix "v2"

Takeshi

Registered
Hello,

I've had several DUOs returned to me after performing the original red light fix. Unfortunately, Vu+ used very garbage quality capacitors at critical places in this box.

Hereby, I attached a photo with many more capacitors replaced. This particular box booted after replacing caps inside the power supply, but signal on tuner was really weak, mostly unusable. Replacing caps before and after the buck converters on the board fixed the issue.

Hope it helps somebody repair their box. Good luck.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
It usually just the one top left near the hard drive caddy that goes. Heat from the hard drive dries it out.

Done a fair few of those repairs myself.

Takeshi

Registered
It usually just the one top left near the hard drive caddy that goes.

Then the rest goes. I already replaced that cap before, reason I put "v2" in the title.

Seems all the boxes I repaired this way are coming back for a second round.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Then the rest goes. I already replaced that cap before, reason I put "v2" in the title.

Seems all the boxes I repaired this way are coming back for a second round.

Ok not had any returns back to myself but saying that these boxes are so old now they have probably gone out of circulation in the UK as people move on to newer boxes. Must of done 10 of these back in the day.

Tesfer

Registered
Thanks for info. I have a box which I had to chnage the c807 cap a few years back.

But it is now showing small faults. It works in general, but some menu commands fail, meaning I can't update channels.

Can you recommend a priority list on which caps to replace first.

Thanks for any help

Takeshi

Registered
Since you're opening up the box, I'd recommend doing all of them. Remember, a bad cap can take the power IC with it, which is more pain in the ass to replace.

As a side note, I put slightly bigger ones in on the board (since I did not have anything else).

(in the picture) top row:
all 470uF 16V

bottom row:
1500uF 10V, 470uF 16V, 1500uF 10V