Opticum 9600 mini stacks on boot!

superas

Registered
I have a problematic 9600 mini receiver which cannot boot. I would like to ask you if there is any way to flash the bootloader along with the firmware, because this receiver 9600 mini stays on boot stage (and never boot). The LCD screen displays a "boot" message and stays there! Obviously, the bootloader got corrupted after a wrong flashing. Is there any way to re-install the bootloader and use this receiver again?

I have tried to install many different firmware files (.upd files) with HyperTerminal, but none of them could solve my problem. I think that all of them are just software files for my model but they don't restore the bootloader. The file transfer completes successfully, I power off the box for 5", then power it on but the receiver remains on boot stage. Thanks.

PS: Is there any particular serial flasher for Opticum receivers or the only solution in my case is Hyper Terminal?

JAKITAKI

Super VIP
I have a problematic 9600 mini receiver which cannot boot. I would like to ask you if there is any way to flash the bootloader along with the firmware, because this receiver 9600 mini stays on boot stage (and never boot). The LCD screen displays a "boot" message and stays there! Obviously, the bootloader got corrupted after a wrong flashing. Is there any way to re-install the bootloader and use this receiver again?

I have tried to install many different firmware files (.upd files) with HyperTerminal, but none of them could solve my problem. I think that all of them are just software files for my model but they don't restore the bootloader. The file transfer completes successfully, I power off the box for 5", then power it on but the receiver remains on boot stage. Thanks.

PS: Is there any particular serial flasher for Opticum receivers or the only solution in my case is Hyper Terminal?

try a tool HyperTerminal Private Edition 7.0

superas

Registered
Hello and thank you very much for your reply. I use HyperTerminal under windows XP SP3 (115200, 8, none, 1, Z modem with Crash Recovery), but after the update process reaches 100% (it takes exactly 6 minutes for that), I see in my TV a message: "system id mismatch". During the file transfer, in the upper right corner of my TV I see a message "loader v1.08". After 2-3 seconds the box reboots and I have the same situation: The LCD screen displays a "boot" message and stays there!

Why I see that message at the end? How is possible to have such a mismatch? The software is the original one, but I also tried with another .upd (v5.44 emu)!

Do you think that I should try your tool or another null modem cable?

I have to inform you that the whole problem began after a wrong update via USB which was interrupted, because the box freezed during that update. Thanks.

Vidua

Registered
I think i found the solution - BUT ...

Hello all,

after a long search i think i found the solution. But ... read on.
I have read in a German forum that this problem (stuck at boot) is well known with these boxes and the only things you can do are the following:

1) Flash the box normally (this has been correctly done here)
If you don't succeed then you need to
2) JTAG program it

As far as i have found out the processor used in the Opticum 9600 HD s (no idea what this "s" is but it was written there like that...) and the Opticum HD 9600 mini is a SGS-Thomson STi7101.
It has got a special "protected" :)eek:) bootloader which does not prove to be as protected as it should be...

Now about the "i've got the solution, BUT":

- JTAG programming is quite complex and requires special software and many steps which have to be executed precisely with no error (can be handled)
- JTAG programming requires special JTAG interface hardware for the STi7101 :mad:
- i did not check yet if this hardware with specialized chips is still available as it seems it has been a while since it was offered :confused:
- there is a documentation about JTAG programming for the 9600 HD s but this one has a JTAG connector which is different than the one in the HD 9600 mini :mad:, the pin count is different
- this documentation package is 100MB in size (!) and i have seen it only in German (i can help...)
- so you would need to find out first what the pinout of the JTAG connector is in the HD 9600 mini (that's most likely the hardest point...)

Nevertheless, if someone here dares to do this i am willing to translate the German instructions.

Vidua

Registered
It is even worse!

Hi all,

now i have found a thread where some guys try to flash the bootloader of the Globo Opticum HD 9600 mini.
It's stated there that the method i found above does not work for the 9600 mini and must be found yet.
They try this since more than half a year and it seems to be a quite hard piece of work. See here (in German again...):

http://www.nachtfalke.biz/f427-opticum-9600-a/4400-talk-linux-jtag-opticum-9600hd-mini.html

The JTAG programmer would'nt be a problem, it costs about 15 Euros.
So at the moment there's no solution to our problem, let's follow their discussion and hope these guys succeed.