PowerVu Chat [only chat, don‘t post keys here]

De Fault

Registered
Well, I do not believe they are using Internet for updating their official receivers.

To do that they would need to replace all their official receivers at cable operators. The current receivers are not capable of that due to hardware limitations.

iq180

Registered
Well, I do not believe they are using Internet for updating their official receivers.

To do that they would need to replace all their official receivers at cable operators. The current receivers are not capable of that due to hardware limitations.

I wish that were true but it is not, any receiver with a USB port can be converted to use internet, I remember back at the end of nagra 2 days our old receivers were converted to use IKS for nagra 3 so your thinking on that is wrong.

Next thing is a few weeks back the providers sent out letters to people with there receivers to update them by the end of September or there receivers would stop working, it said they could do it by internet or with a smart phone that had internet options.
BTW, this letter was about Discovery CHs.

kebien

Registered

Believing is not real facts and should not be used to form an opinion.But we all can,of course.

Code:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/video/digital-encoders/data_sheet_c78-728203.html
Most all Powervu/cisco receivers have a network port.
And they are all addressable through internet.
this is its function
"Ethernet IP data and control monitoring"
The link specifically say
"IP data can be received and output at rates up to 50 Mbps. "

Now,its time you do not relay so much in your beliefs and more in facts.
They have internet port,most probably they are able to push a firmware update through it in such an emergency as this one.

ro_54

Registered
Believing is not real facts and should not be used to form an opinion.But we all can,of course.

Code:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/video/digital-encoders/data_sheet_c78-728203.html
Most all Powervu/cisco receivers have a network port.
And they are all addressable through internet.
this is its function
"Ethernet IP data and control monitoring"
The link specifically say
"IP data can be received and output at rates up to 50 Mbps. "

They have internet port,most probably they are able to push a firmware update through it in such an emergency as this one.
If that is the case, can these firmware be intercepted and moded for other type of receivers ?

De Fault

Registered
If that is the case, can these firmware be intercepted and moded for other type of receivers ?

It is much more easy to dump the new firmware from the receiver with the help of JTAG interface and reverse engineer it. I have done it before.

De Fault

Registered
Sony for example. But it does not matter. I think you should try to get the ECM key first. If you can't even decrypt the EMM to read out the ECM key, then don't waste time thinking about ECM hash modes.
AND NO - EMM keys are not expired.
AND NO - keys are not updated via the internet.
That's just bullshit you may hear sometimes. Focus on the only real issue here - being unable to decrypt EMM!

I also believe that at present the keys are not updated via Internet.

They can implement this feature after a few years. The migration period is not so short.

During the migration period they may be still updating the keys over the air but use the Digital Glue protection. More details here http://www.digitalglue.com/case-study-simulcrypting-with-powervu/

kebien

Registered
I also believe that at present the keys are not updated via Internet.

They can implement this feature after a few years. The migration period is not so short.

During the migration period they may be still updating the keys over the air but use the Digital Glue protection. More details here http://www.digitalglue.com/case-study-simulcrypting-with-powervu/

Forget about updating ECM keys by internet.
The problem reside in new firmware spooled by internet,then they do not need to change the way the way they send ECM keys through satellite.
While people cannot decrypt EMM to get it,they are secure.
No ECM keys through internet necessary.
And that site is just propaganda from the same company that sells the security,wouldn't they all assert they are secure and boast their strength ?

De Fault

Registered
The problem reside in new firmware spooled by internet,then they do not need to change the way the way they send ECM keys through satellite.
And that site is just propaganda from the same company that sells the security,wouldn't they all assert they are secure and boast their strength ?

Well, I never said that the keys are being updated over Internet. Probably you have confused me with somebody else :D

De Fault

Registered

In order to update the official receivers' firmware they really do not need Internet provided the USB port is available on each and every receiver. :)

De Fault

Registered

Please don't be so arrogant my friend. I do have very much experience in reverse engineering. Although I am already a retired person, sometimes I can point people to the right direction. We have a hobby comunity over here and we should work as one team. Everyone can contribute to achieving our goal. Every opinion should be carefully considered and not rejected.

I do understand that many providers' receivers may have a LAN port and may be able to connect to Internet provided they have this function in the firmware.

We are not talking about updating the firmware over this port. Every receiver has an USB port for that. Someone was talking about updating the keys over Internet. That's what we are talking about :)

iq180

Registered
Well at the end of the day if we can't get our hands on one of the provider receivers we are dead in the water, sad day.

kebien

Registered
Please don't be so arrogant my friend. I do have very much experience in reverse engineering. Although I am already a retired person, sometimes I can point people to the right direction. We have a hobby comunity over here and we should work as one team. Everyone can contribute to achieving our goal. Every opinion should be carefully considered and not rejected.

I do understand that many providers' receivers may have a LAN port and may be able to connect to Internet provided they have this function in the firmware.

We are not talking about updating the firmware over this port. Every receiver has an USB port for that. Someone was talking about updating the keys over Internet. That's what we are talking about :)
Is not about being arrogant,just trying to keep thoughts on the ground level,concise,with some fundament.

A home based hobbyist might use the USB port to update firmware,but that is not the case with commercial receivers,and commercial receivers do not send out USB flash drives to headend to update their receivers,nor send thousand of engineers to headend HQ to update their receivers.Nor they will upload new update to a website.
That would be a big flaw in security by putting firmware in too many hands they cannot control.

Their irds are addressable through network and through satellite,and not sure how much more you need to know to make an educated theory about how they could update their receivers out of sight of intruders.

But I see a human factor that could shed some light on new security.
I knew many years ago of a guy that worked at Scientific Atlanta in CA that was selling authorized ISE,and of some people that bought those irds,clearly is not working for them anymore.
But I guess is some chance for this things to still happen somewhere.

De Fault

Registered
The new firmware may be distributed as an encrypted file. Then use USB port to upload it to the receiver and the receiver will decrypt it before flashing the memory chip.

kebien

Registered
The new firmware may be distributed as an encrypted file. Then use USB port to upload it to the receiver and the receiver will decrypt it before flashing the memory chip.

They don't do things that way,is unprofessional,and a big chance it can fall in wrong hands or that things could be wrong at handling it.
How many bricked receivers you know of by doing it this way?
Check this forum and you will see.
What make you think they make their receivers addressable (Internet and satellite) in the first place?
No respectable company will let their customers to handle their receivers.

acuaroyale

Registered
They will not deviate from OTA updates to receivers when every customer, both professional and retail, has a guaranteed OTA connection. There's no reason to introduce USB or internet based updates (which only a small fraction of customers will have) when OTA has worked since the beginning of time, and some will argue is far more secure than any other update method.

kebien

Registered
They will not deviate from OTA updates to receivers when every customer, both professional and retail, has a guaranteed OTA connection. There's no reason to introduce USB or internet based updates (which only a small fraction of customers will have) when OTA has worked since the beginning of time, and some will argue is far more secure than any other update method.

They already did deviate,nobody has seen the new updates OTA,otherwise the problems would have been solved already.

De Fault

Registered
They already did deviate,nobody has seen the new updates OTA,otherwise the problems would have been solved already.

My understanding is that they keys are still being updated over the air.

Probably they just introduced another layer of encryption on top of the existing data transmission protocol. The ECM and EMM keys now may be transmitted over the air in an encrypted form, more details here http://www.digitalglue.com/case-study-simulcrypting-with-powervu/

acuaroyale

Registered
My understanding is that they keys are still being updated over the air.

Probably they just introduced another layer of encryption on top of the existing data transmission protocol. The ECM and EMM keys now may be transmitted over the air in an encrypted form, more details here http://www.digitalglue.com/case-study-simulcrypting-with-powervu/

Reading that it seems the end goal for AFN is to eventually move away from Cisco/PowerVu altogether. It is interesting to note that they embedded the Verimatrix rather than a using a CAM.

As for the EMMs, nothing earth-shattering, per the case study, Verimatrix and PowerVu EMMs are being sent OTA.

iq180

Registered
Reading that it seems the end goal for AFN is to eventually move away from Cisco/PowerVu altogether. It is interesting to note that they embedded the Verimatrix rather than a using a CAM.

As for the EMMs, nothing earth-shattering, per the case study, Verimatrix and PowerVu EMMs are being sent OTA.

And you know this how, from what I have found there are no EMM/UA keys being sent in the data stream, without a EMM/UA key we can't get ECM keys, no ECM keys is black screens for everybody.