7100HD North American setup tips

barret

Registered
I just wanted to share some of the things I learned while trying to setup the Vantage 7100HD for North American use.

When I first powered up the Vantage it was apparent it was never intended for use in the US.
It was not NTSC compatible and there were no North American Sats in the list with no option to change the satellite names.

Originally getting the unit to NTSC was impossible because it was not offered as an option in the firmware. When using the Vantage for the first time it will be in the PAL mode. You will need to initially hook it up through the SD video outs such as component or through the Scart connection, if you purchased an inexpensive Scart adapter when you bought the receiver. There is a small toggle switch on the back of the receiver, make sure this is in the SD position. Doing these steps will allow a viewable black and white picture on your NTSC TV set which will allow you to see the various menus and make the necessary changes.

Enter Setup Menu and select language.
Scroll down to Media setting and if the firmware is recent enough on the first line you will have the option for PAL or NTSC. If the Vantage has early factory firmware you will only see and option for 576, 780, 1080 etc. If this is the case ignore the media setting for now and update the firmware first. The firmware is available here or at vantage-digital.com Download, open and transfer to a USB drive for transfer to the receiver. A note on the USB device Make sure the power is off on theVantage before inserting or removing the USB drive. Just power off from the front panel there is no need to kill the rear switch. After the unit is updated and has rebooted reenter the Setup menu go back to Media setting and choose NTSC. I am not going into all the specifics on setup this is just to get you to NTSC. If you wish now the component cables can be disconnected and the unit can be hooked up through the HDMI connection. Make sure to toggle the rear switch to HD.

Satellite list
The satellite list has no way to edit the satellite names through the receiver menu. All other edits can be done. The satellite names can be edited through a channel editor also available here or at Vantage for download. Version 2.0 is out. To transfer the original Satellite list from the receiver to the editor requires a two step process not like other editors on other receivers that I have used. You first need to put the receiver in a channel upload mode again through the receiver menu. Now through the editor download can be selected. When the list is downloaded the Satellited names can be changed .

Note: If you are going to want to delete all the stored transponders and channels that the unit is shipped with do it first with the receiver and remote control before transferring the list to the editor. The editor only allows you to delete one transponder at a time and it will take forever. Don't worry about loosing the original list. There is a channel list default in the receiver menu.
When the list is edited and saved it is ready to send back to the Vantage. This requires that the Vantage be first turned off from the rear switch. Click the Load Database from PC icon and it will ask you to confirm your selection. Choose yes and then power up the receiver. Wait until it completes and reboots. Your American sat list is now ready to use.

This is what has worked for me. As always do at your own risk as this receiver is a bit touchy for bugs right now. Make small changes first.

Chris