7100 HD Saving Info ?

barret

Registered
After entering new information such as transponder info for a manual scan or a channel save, when I save the info either by the red key (save all) or the OK button the receiver shows the saving message briefly then the screen blacks out, the video reappears with the saving message again briefly and the screen blacks out again then the video reappears for the last time with the info saved. This only happens with the my Vantage and I didn't know if this was normal or if I'm at the beginnings of a system crash?

barret

Registered
Solved

I stumbled across a fix by accident. I was tuning a international 25fps PAL feed tonight and was trying various settings to check video quality as I use NTSC. I also hooked up my HDMI Video Scaler. With the Video Scaler hooked the problem was gone. It also cured my boot up problem where the Vantage would go through three TV screen on and offs before it would show video. Using the unit in NTSC mode as I do is apparently the issue. It seems the Vantage wants to display PAL as its first choice whenever it boots up or if the video is interrupted like when tuning and saving a new transponder. It eventually finds NTSC.

kebien

Registered
There should be a menu where you set all PAL,or all NTSC as output.
It sounds like the problem shows when this option is set to AUTO or similar.

Is the video scaler hooked up between the receiver and the TV?
How can fix some internal box problem as this when it doesn;t interfere with the box handling,but only the receiver output?
I guess I will have to wait to get mine to see all this problems.

barret

Registered
There should be a menu where you set all PAL,or all NTSC as output.
It sounds like the problem shows when this option is set to AUTO or similar.

Is the video scaler hooked up between the receiver and the TV?
How can fix some internal box problem as this when it doesn;t interfere with the box handling,but only the receiver output?
I guess I will have to wait to get mine to see all this problems.

Yes there is a menu option for PAL / NTSC, no auto option. It is set to NTSC as this is the only way to get a viewable picture and yes the scaler is between the receiver and the TV. I don't know why this has completely cured the problem but it has. The only thing I can think of is that the unit automatically boots in PAL no matter what the setting is and then finds the NTSC setting and switches to that. It also maybe reverts back to PAL when in the menu or non TV mode and when the Sony picks up the PAL mode it flashes a black screen and does this until it goes back to NTSC whereas the video scaler converts PAL to NTSC before it gets to the TV. It isn't anything I would have tried as a fix but like I said I just stumbled on it. I also don't know if this is directly related to the HDMI output only as I have never had the receiver hooked to the component or composite outputs. Also I never had this problem with the early bins back in April and May.

Last edited: