Lamps and JT? There's no rush

McFLY

Registered
CHELSEA chairman Bruce Buck says there is “no great rush” to tie John Terry and Frank Lampard to new contracts.

Both have two years to run on their current deals and there are fears they may leave the club — Lamps has been a target for Barcelona while skipper Terry is considering his options.

Blues boss Jose Mourinho, preparing for tonight’s clash with Suwon Bluewings in Los Angeles, has pleaded with the board to get their contracts wrapped up.

But Buck claims there is no need to panic. He said: “I’m hopeful we will be able to sort all these contracts out but it’s not something where there are negotiations every day.

“I don’t see there’s a great rush but I do think they should be done properly.

“When there’s approximately two years to go you want to think about re-signing the players assuming you want to keep them because it preserves their transfer value.

“But I don’t think you have to sign them when it’s exactly two years. It could be with one year and 10 months to go, one year and nine months, 18 months or whatever.

“Sure we would like to get them done but there’s no deadline and there doesn’t need to be.”

Mourinho revealed at the weekend how he and owner Roman Abramovich held clear-the-air talks to repair their relationship.

Buck said: “We had the meeting a couple of weeks ago and it was very good. I’m glad it’s all resolved.

“The board and Jose are not going to agree on everything every day. Everyone has their own opinions.

“It’s a matter of listening to other opinions and coming together collectively to figure out how to take the club forward.

“We are in a position where all the parties recognise the strengths of the others and Jose is very happy with his relationship with Roman.” Abramovich is celebrating four years in charge by thrashing out a blueprint for the future which he believes will deliver endless success.

Chairman Buck believes the arrival of Avram Grant as director of football puts the Blues in great shape.

And Buck insists Grant is not at Stamford Bridge to take Mourinho’s job.

Buck said: “I don’t think he is a threat to Jose and I don’t think Jose thinks he is which is what’s important.

“But we did feel there was something missing in the structure and that was the co-ordination of the whole football programme.

“We are trying to build for the long term, not just for this year.

“We aren’t trying to develop a dynasty as such but we are developing something long term and that’s where Avram can help us.

“As for transfers, they are Jose’s call but he gets input from a variety of people and that’s what you would expect.

“Roman has never said the chequebook is closed.”

Mourinho has been criticised for the way Chelsea play but Buck says they will take a more positive attitude this season.

Buck said: “Jose wants us to be a little more exciting and to use our wingers. As a fan, I would like to see a more of that.

“In the first instance you want to win and once you’ve won a few times you want to win with style.”