4:2:2 What Receivers?

sss146

Registered
serkanguzel
What are talking about? Hardware acceleration not supported by any released GPU. Software decoding only.

serkanguzel

Registered
serkanguzel
What are talking about? Hardware acceleration not supported by any released GPU. Software decoding only.

His( C0der ) first question was on UHD.

Hardware acceleration is essential for 10bit video.
10bit & UHD( H.265 ) & 4;2;0

Code:
[B]Feature Set H[/B] 

are capable of hardware-accelerated decoding of 8192x8192 (8k resolution) H.265/HEVC video streams
GeForce GTX 1070, GTX 1080, GeForce GTX 1060, NVIDIA TITAN XP, GeForce GTX 1050, GTX 1050 Ti

sss146

Registered
The topic is about 4:2:2 decoding not 4:2:0.
There won't be any GPU usage during 4:2:2 decode. Win10 numbers (3D) means PCI-E bandwidth usage.

serkanguzel

Registered
The topic is about 4:2:2 decoding not 4:2:0.
There won't be any GPU usage during 4:2:2 decode. Win10 numbers (3D) means PCI-E bandwidth usage.

Dude, I'm not arguing with you.

I only answered the member's( @C0der ) question. :thum:

dvlajkovic

4:2:2 is handled only by the CPU running software that does the conversion into 4:2:0.
The better the CPU, the smoother the video will be played.
I am not saying that hardware decoding of the video codec (H264, H265, etc.) is not important to have as well, but do not confuse it with processing of 4:2:2.

serkanguzel

Registered
Not just CPU only. GPUs are also effective.

See example GPU diagram;

4;2;2 The most important thing to know about; is a commercial sampling type. Hardware-assisted analysis is not allowed unless a license is obtained.( See first and second pictures; ! ** 4;2;2 is not natively supported on HW. )

It can be decoded by 4;2;2 CPUs or GPUs. Of course with the help of codecs.

Getting help from Codecs means; The CPU or GPU will load more. The average load is around 35%. ( For 8bit H.264 videos... )

No test 10bit H.265 videos. Now...

Last edited:

C0der

Registered
Thanks for all the replies.

One idea would be to transcode 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 and then let the hardware decode the 4:2:0. But I'm not sure if that would work.

serkanguzel

Registered
Thanks for all the replies.

One idea would be to transcode 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 and then let the hardware decode the 4:2:0. But I'm not sure if that would work.

Dude, this process; done by studio devices.

Why is "4; 2; 2" used during broadcast transmission? Let me briefly explain it.

* Extra quality margin is provided in the streaming video.

Reaching the studio environment with the addition of extra quality, the video is delivered to the end user as 4;2;0. In this way, the broadcaster has delivered the video to the consumer without loss.

Let's look at the Picture ;

As a result; 4;2;2 is a commercial sampling type only. For hardware-assisted resolution, the license must be purchased.

It can be resolve Windows Media Player-style devices are codec-supported 4;2;2.

E.g; Beelink x45 windows device. For 4;2;2 : Processor usage 35%( max )... And $150 around. ;)

Any satellite tv card Plug and play with Beelink x45. Also Connect Beelink x45 directly to TV. :thum:

mdvsilva

Registered
Has anyone heard of the possibility of an android receiver working as a server and the computer as client and after that the computer with a program called vlc open channels in 4: 2: 2?

I heard this from the mouth of a guy experienced in the field but I did not have the opportunity to continue the conversation. I went searching and I saw that in box with the system Enigma2 (linux) it is possible to access the channels through the pc. but according to him it is also possible to configure this in Android box.

Last edited:

digi247

Registered
Has anyone heard of the possibility of an android receiver working as a server and the computer as client and after that the computer with a program called vlc open channels in 4: 2: 2?

I heard this from the mouth of a guy experienced in the field but I did not have the opportunity to continue the conversation. I went searching and I saw that in box with the system Enigma2 (linux) it is possible to access the channels through the pc. but according to him it is also possible to configure this in Android box.

Any Linux Enigma2 receiver can do this with either a Laptop/PC and VLC quite easily, as for android a cheap 4K box should also be able to take the stream from Enigma2 i know the Nvidia shield can play these streams no problem

mdvsilva

Registered
Any Linux Enigma2 receiver can do this with either a Laptop/PC and VLC quite easily, as for android a cheap 4K box should also be able to take the stream from Enigma2 i know the Nvidia shield can play these streams no problem

From enigma2 i know its easy to setup. But FROM a android box to pc is it possible?

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I just use a PC with a PC Card to view anything 4.2.2 on my main television. Keeps it simple,

michaelosh

Registered
With with app the shield play it?

Youknowme02

Registered
Here is my question why does the computer using VLC play 4.2.2 so easy, and NO receivers will play it?

Most IRD are using Quad core processors and effort ram to play it? Why can't someone either make a side car that will plug in your USB port or a plugin that will support 4.2.2?

marrakr

Registered
Not so easy, look at CPU while playing (emulating) 422 in VLC, it's high, receivers have much slower CPUs.