Fergie's left me in the dark

McFLY

Registered
ALAN SMITH has asked Alex Ferguson: “Do you want me at Manchester United or not?”

The England striker is in the dark over his future, after being told last week he will not be getting a new contract.

Smith told SunSport: “If they are going to sell me, I’d like to know. But I won’t find out unless I get to speak to the manager.

“If you’re no longer wanted, then you have to consider your options.”

Smith still has two years to run on his current deal and was promised another last summer. Now United have changed their mind.

Boss Ferguson has not spoken to Smith about the decision, with chief executive David Gill informing him of the current situation.

Smith, signed for £7million from Leeds three years ago, added: “If the manager tells me he wants me, I’m there for him. If he says he doesn’t, it’s time to move on.

“He didn’t say anything to me at the end of the season. We played the FA Cup final, went home the next day and that was it.”

Smith finished the season on a high, after being out for more than a year with a broken leg and ankle.

He helped United to the title and was recalled to the England squad. But he does not want to spend next season on the bench.

Smith admitted: “I want to be out there from the start.”

Everton, Middlesbrough, Spurs, Aston Villa and Rangers are after him.