Is it time to change for OE2.0?

tabuarasa

Registered
Currently I use Dream Elite, in my opinion is a very good image.
My questions are:
OE2.0 is it stable? Emus (like Mgcamd) work well? What are pros and cons?
Thanks in advance by your contributions.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
I would stay well away from OE2 for now mate, lots of little bug too from what im reading, wait a while till things get sorted.

cueball

Registered
Softcams are not an issue with OE2.0. All the popular softcams are available once you install the Gemini 3.2 Plugin with the additional softcam feed. Once, the GP3.2 Plugin has been installed it is then simplicity itself to install and activate whatever addons and cams you need.

OE2.0 provides a couple of new features which depending on your circumstances may or maynot be of benefit to you. The first thing that it provides is access to Linux Kernal 3.2. This provides the ability for internal hard drives greater than 2TB to be used. This could well be useful in the future as hard drive sizes increase and/or price decreases. It also provides the very latest DM7020HD drivers. These drivers now provide WMA and WMV/VC1 playback. Again, these new multimedia capabilities are welcome. OE2.0 via the Bludisc player plugin provides the capability to playback Blu-ray video images (ISO's). This could be useful if you have an intention to use your Dreambox as a multimedia hub with your video files stored remotely via a NAS.

It also provides HbbTV which although currently of little relevance to UK users may be very useful to users in other countries. OE2.0 also provides a WebBrowser which although slow some people may find useful for Twitter etc.

OE2.0 provides HMDI-CEC which allows the TV to be switched on whenever the Dreambox is switched on. This may be useful for some people.

OE2.0 provides a DLNA media server which is integrated into the standard image by default. Previously, any such DLNA media server for the Dreambox would have to be manually installed or be integrated into the relevant image. This makes some features more accessible and user friendly which is a welcome development.

Unfortunately, the big problem is that the CrossEPG and XMLTV Import plugins no longer work on OE2.0. Due to the changes in the way that the EPG data is handled in OE2.0 the data that these two plugins gather cannot be currently used. This is extremely frustrating if you have become accustomed to having a full 7 day EPG on 28.2E, 13E Italy and 19.2E Spain. Dream Multimedia are working on an EPG database soultion for OE2.0 but no timescale has been given for completion. My fear is that DM will not see providing the EPG solution as a priority as the German EPG data is good as it is given by default on the German channel transponders.

DreamElite is a very slick and well integrated image where all the features work and work well. Whilst, OE2.0 does provide some benefits it is probably not worth leaving behind one of the best images available on the DM7020HD given the current EPG issues. One other thing to be aware of with OE2.0 is that not all plugins are compatible with the new architecture. This may be a problem to you if there is a particular plugin or skin that you use in OE1.6 as you will either have to do without or wait for the author to issue an update. One popular plugin that has currently not been updated is CoolTV guide which is very useful as it gives a slicker EPG. Otber current OE2.0 incompatible plugins at present are TSPanel and LiveFootball. Updates to make these plugins compatible with OE2.0 will no doubt come in time but it is something to be aware of before you upgrade.

jermaine

Registered
Well, with neme*** image 1.6, with crossepg, i have also some problems:

When in standby the receiver crashs (at nigh when updating epg)
Restarts when watching tv

I think crossepg not at 100% on OE1.6 also

microboy

Registered
Well, with neme*** image 1.6, with crossepg, i have also some problems:

When in standby the receiver crashs (at nigh when updating epg)
Restarts when watching tv

I think crossepg not at 100% on OE1.6 also

well, then switch to CVS (or ICVS from iHAD)OE1.6 and GP3, nemesis is a toy image compared to it.

cueball

Registered
We now have OE2.0 based experimental images from Newnigma2, Merlin & Oozoon. This shows that OE2.0 is becoming more mature. As I mentioned before the GP3.2 plugin works well on the official ICVS image. The Merlin & Oozoon images are leaner smaller images than the official image. It is meant to be possible to install Barry Allen and have your OE2.0 image and also an OE1.6 image on USB which you can also boot from although this is not officially supported.

OE2.0 is improving on a weekly basis and is worth a look at if you have the time available. However, I would make sure you backup your current image so that you can easily revert back if you do not like it.

Jahu

Donating Member
Is there any picture quality changes? Are subtitles again all over the screen?

Thx.