Latest Serie A News

sky star 2

Super VIP
NOU CAMP TO BE MAXWELL HOUSE

Brazilian defender Maxwell will be unveiled as a Barcelona player on Friday afternoon, subject to a medical, the Catalan club have announced.

Barca reached an agreement with Inter Milan on Wednesday night over a transfer fee which could rise to 5million euros and Maxwell will arrive in Spain on Friday for physical tests.

"The player Maxwell is scheduled to arrive at Barcelona this Friday at around midday," read a statement on the Barcelona website. "The Brazilian will undergo a medical and, after signing his contract with Barcelona, will be presented."

The 27-year-old, who has been with Inter since 2006, will fill the left-back spot at the Nou Camp vacated by the departure of Sylvinho earlier this summer.

Should everything go smoothly Maxwell will be presented as the treble winners' first summer signing at around 7.30 pm local time.

sky star 2

Super VIP
MILAN REMAIN IN CHASE FOR LUIS FABIANO

The Brazil international is the Rossoneri's top transfer target but their 14 million euro bid was rejected out of hand by the Spanish club earlier this week.

Sevilla president Jose Maria Del Nido is adamant the player will not be sold on the cheap but Milan vice executive president Adriano Galliani suggested an agreement could still be reached.

"We made an offer that we considered to be correct," said Galliani.

"If the Sevilla president considers our 14 million euro offer to be ridiculous, lucky him.

"The negotiations will continue even though there is a gap from the asking price and our offer. We shall see."

Fabiano has a £26 million release clause and is under contract with Sevilla for a further two seasons.

sky star 2

Super VIP
ROMA OPEN TO AQUILANI OFFERS

Roma are willing to consider offers for Italian playmaker Alberto Aquilani.

Aquilani has been a reported target of Liverpool, with the Reds looking for a possible replacement for Real Madrid target Xabi Alonso.

When asked about Aquilani, Roma coach Luciano Spalletti said: "We need to be open and listen to any type of offers that are proposed to us.

"We are not worried, we know what we need to do.

"There will probably be two or three transfer market deals done and I am convinced we will be able to work well."

Roma director Bruno Conti revealed neither Liverpool nor any other club had made an offer for Aquilani.

"The situation as it is right now is that Aquilani will remain until there is a squad that makes an offer," Conti said to Mediaset.

"Once this happens then we will see."

Aquilani, 25, is under contract with the Eternal City outfit until June 2013.

A right ankle injury limited Aquilani to only 14 league appearances for the Giallorossi last season.

sky star 2

Super VIP
DEL PIERO PENS NEW JUVE DEAL

Alessandro Del Piero has signalled his intention to finish his career at Juventus by signing a new 12-month contract extension.

Del Piero's previous deal was due to expire at the end of next season but he is now tied to the Bianconeri until June 2011.

The 34-year-old said: "I am happy to remain here for two further years.

"I am proud of this contract extension, it gives me great satisfaction.

"It is here where I have played at the highest level.

"The negotiations were very quick and I will give everything to pay back the trust handed to me by the club."

The World Cup-winning striker made his Serie A debut with Juve in 1993 and has been there ever since.

Del Piero scored 13 goals in 31 league appearances for Juve last season.

"I want to play football as long as I can guarantee my quality," he said.

"My relationship with this club goes beyond the professional scene."

sky star 2

Super VIP
LAPORTA: ETO'O-ZLATAN 'SWAP' SORTED

Barcelona president Joan Laporta claims to have come to a "complete agreement" with Inter Milan over a swap deal involving Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Samuel Eto'o.

Laporta met his Inter counterpart Massimo Moratti yesterday to discuss the potential switch.

Moratti said earlier that negotiations are still ongoing but Laporta insists the deal is all but completed with Inter set to receive 45million euros as well as land Eto'o and Barcelona winger Alexander Hleb.

"I can't say that it will still happen if one of the conditions isn't fulfilled since the signing has been agreed in a comprehensive manner," he said.

"I spoke with Samuel on Tuesday and after the dinner in Italy.

"I'm not going to disclose these conversations. I'll only say that his move is not a question of money.

"He is a professional and his work has to be rewarded, but his priority is not money. It's other things."

With Ibrahimovic, who finished as Serie A's top scorer last season, seemingly on the verge of a move to the Nou Camp, David Villa's chances of joining the treble winners appear even slimmer.

However, Laporta insists they have not given up hope of landing the Valencia and Spain striker.

"The signing of David Villa has not been ruled out," he added. "We have not ruled out any of the possibilities open to us.

"The technical secretary remains in contact with him because he understands the anxiety of a player for whom, if the clubs had reached an agreement, things would have gone in a different direction."

sky star 2

Super VIP
IBRAHIMOVIC EYES BARCA MOVE

Sweden striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has admitted he would be interested in a move to Barcelona from Inter Milan.

Barca president Joan Laporta confirmed on Friday that the two clubs had reached an 'agreement in principal' over a potential transfer.

The proposed deal would see Ibrahimovic move to Camp Nou, with Barca striker Samuel Eto'o and midfielder Alexander Hleb heading in the opposite direction.

Reports have suggested that Inter are willing to accept €40million (£34.6million) plus Eto'o and the season-long loan signing of Hleb in order to let Ibrahimovic move to Spain.

The two clubs have already concluded one piece of business this summer, with Brazilian full-back Maxwell agreeing a transfer to the European champions, and are now locked in talks over the complicated second deal.

Ibrahimovic, who has been with Inter since 2004, insists he is not looking to engineer a move, but would welcome the chance to test his skills in La Liga.

He told Swedish tabloid Expressen: "There's a chance that I'll go to Barcelona if a concrete offer is made.

"In this case it would be interesting for me.

"It's up to Inter to decide what they want to do. I respect my contract. I do my job and am happy to be here."

sky star 2

Super VIP
LUIS FABIANO IS NO RISK - LEONARDO

AC Milan coach Leonardo insists signing Sevilla striker Luis Fabiano would not be a gamble for the Rossoneri.

The Brazil international is Milan's top transfer target but their 14 million euro bid was rejected out of hand by the Spanish club last week.

Leonardo is confident they will get their man and believes he will prove to be a good signing for the Serie A giants.

"Luis Fabiano is without doubt a good player," he told the club website, www.acmilan.com. "He is the striker of the Brazilian national team and, like all deals, it has to run its course.

"I don't think you can call him a gamble for our league, because he could have already been mature at 23 years old.

"What he's lacked is a great club.

"Milan don't turn to the transfer market just to buy a name, if we do, it's because we need him.

"We have a good squad and we shouldn't be in a rush."

Milan are currently on pre-season tour in America where they will face David Beckham's Los Angeles Galaxy tomorrow.

Speculation is rife that Beckham will return to Milan in January after impressing during a six-month loan spell last season.

The England midfielder went to visit his former team-mates at their LA training ground and Leonardo admits there is a very real possibility he will be back at the San Siro soon.

"David had and has a good rapport with all of us,'the Milan boss added. "He helped us so much when he wore our shirt.

"Moreover, he is a good person and also the very fact that he came here to see us proves how much he feels for us.

"It was a really nice gesture.

"David is without doubt a very intelligent player and I don't think there is anything strange to say that he could come back into my plans, because he can fit into any system."

sky star 2

Super VIP
LEONARDO: BECKHAM RETURN POSSIBLE

AC Milan coach Leonardo would welcome David Beckham back at the San Siro.

The Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder impressed during a six-month loan spell with the Rossoneri last season and speculation is rife that he will return to Milan in January.

Beckham went to visit his former team-mates at their LA training ground ahead of a pre-season friendly between the Galaxy and Milan.

And Leonardo admits there is a very real possibility the England international will be back at the San Siro soon.

"David had and has a good rapport with all of us," the Milan boss told the club website, www.acmilan.com. "He helped us so much when he wore our shirt.

"Moreover, he is a good person and also the very fact that he came here to see us proves how much he feels for us.

"It was a really nice gesture.

"David is without doubt a very intelligent player and I don't think there is anything strange to say that he could come back into my plans, because he can fit into any system."

sky star 2

Super VIP
CARVALHO IN DARK OVER FUTURE

Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho has admitted to Sky Sports News he does not know where his future lies.

Carvalho has been strongly linked with a move to Serie A giants Inter Milan, where former Chelsea and Porto boss Jose Mourinho currently manages.

However, Inter appear unwilling to match the Blues' asking price for a deal involving Carvalho and possibly playmaker Deco.

Carvalho, who is currently on Chelsea's pre-season tour of America, has conceded he has considered a move elsewhere.

He told Sky Sports News: "What I said before was that I have had four great seasons here and last season wasn't so good, so I wasn't happy and I don't think the club were happy because I didn't play.

"At that time I felt like maybe it was time to go. But now I have a contract and I have to be professional and get fit to help my team-mates.

"In the future you never know, but at this moment I am focused on getting fit."

sky star 2

Super VIP
AGENT: ETO'O PLEASED BY INTER LINK

Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o is honoured to be linked with a swap move involving Inter Milan's Zlatan Ibrahimovic, according to his agent.

Eto'o is expected to leave the Nou Camp this summer and was the subject of interest from Manchester City before the Premier League club ended their pursuit.

Inter have now emerged as favourites to sign the Cameroon international, with boss Jose Mourinho a long-term admirer, while Ibrahimovic, who has been the subject of talks with Barca, could move in the opposite direction.

Eto'o's representative, Jose Mesalles, is now set to travel to Italy for discussions next week as a potential transfer, which could also include Alexander Hleb, edges closer.

And the 27-year-old is said to be flattered by admiration from the Giuseppe Meazza, with Mesalles telling Ona Fm radio: "The club from Milan is a very important one.

"We cannot be anything but honoured, but I cannot say anything.

"These type of negotiations cannot be done over the phone and must be made in person."

sky star 2

Super VIP
VIEIRA MISS DOES FOR INTER

A penalty shootout miss from Patrick Vieira sent Inter Milan to defeat as the World Football Challenge pre-season tournament got under way at Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto, California.

Second-half goals from Club America's Juan Carlos Silva in the 51st minute and a 61st-minute leveller from Ivan Cordoba sent the game into a shootout as both sides finished the game with 10 players following a red card apiece in the last 10 minutes.

There was confusion at the end of 90 minutes when both sets of players appeared unaware a penalty shootout was required to settle the issue.

Inter head coach Jose Mourinho at least seemed prepared with a list of penalty takers, but the Mexican bench was in disarray and players had to retrieve their shirts having already exchanged them with opponents.

When Vieira's turn came as the fourth Inter penalty taker, he blasted high over Armando Navarette's crossbar.

His goalkeeper, Vid Belec, appeared to get the former Arsenal man out of trouble as he then saved from Daniel Marquez but US referee Baldomero Toledo ordered a retake after judging the keeper had advanced off his line and the Mexican made no mistake second time around, leaving Oscar Rojas to seal victory with the final penalty of the shoot-out.

Mourinho left out transfer targets Sweden striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic and French midfielder Vieira from a starting line-up featuring just two Italians while the former Chelsea boss handed a debut to new signings Diego Milito, the Argentina forward, and Brazilian midfielder Thiago Motta.

The goal action came in the second half though as both Silva and Cordoba headed home corner kicks before an 80th-minute dangerous tackle by Club America's Enrique Escada earned a red card from referee Toledo.

That was almost immediately punished by Inter when quick and crisp build-up play allowed second-half substitute Ibrahimovic to head down to Milito on the six-yard line but the Argentinian's first-time right-foot shot was saved well at the foot of the post by keeper Armando Navarrete.

Inter substitute Joel Obi was the next to depart after catching Oscar Rojas late and earning what looked like a harsh red card in the 87th minute.

Mourinho will next face his former side when Inter take on Chelsea in the early hours of Wednesday morning at Pasadena Rose Bowl, while Club America's World Football Challenge continues later that day in Atlanta when the Mexicans face AC Milan at the Georgia Dome.

sky star 2

Super VIP
HAMMERS TRIAL FOR ITALIAN

West Ham have confirmed they are casting an eye over young Roma midfielder Simone Bezziccheri.

The 16-year-old has been invited to London for a trial period as Gianfranco Zola mulls over whether to offer him a contract.

The senior squad is currently in Austria but Bezziccheri was part of a youthful Hammers side that drew 1-1 with Cambridge United over the weekend.

Academy director Tony Carr took charge of the team and played Bezziccheri for the full 90 minutes.

Ahmed Abdulla scored for West Ham early in the second half before Rory McAuley grabbed a late equaliser for the Blue Square Premier outfit.

sky star 2

Super VIP
LUCIO COMPLETES INTER SWITCH

Brazilian centre-half Lucio has completed his move to Serie A champions Inter Milan.

The experienced defender joins the Italian giants from Bayern Munich, where he has spent the last five years.

Lucio has penned a three-year contract at Giuseppe Meazza, having admitted that his decision to quit Bayern was a result of the club's reluctance to offer him a long-term deal.

The 31-year-old will now remain with Inter until the summer of 2012.

He will be hoping to add to his impressive medal collection during his time with Jose Mourinho's men, having already won one World Cup, three German titles, three German Cups and two German League Cups.

sky star 2

Super VIP
JUVE INTERESTED IN CACERES

Juventus are keen to lure Barcelona defender Martin Caceres to Turin on a one-year loan deal.

The Bianconeri are looking to reinforce their backline and believe the Uruguay international would be an ideal candidate.

"We are evaluating the possibility to acquire on loan defender Martin Caceres from Barcelona," said Juventus club administrator Jean Claude Blanc to Corriere dello Sport.

"He is a great player, young, strong and determined.

"He would be useful to complete our roster."

The 22-year-old centre-back joined Barcelona from Villarreal last summer on a reported transfer fee of 16.5million euros.

Caceres, who is under contract with Barca until June 2012, made just 12 league appearances for the Primera Division champions last season.

Blanc has brushed aside reports linking Italy international Fabio Grosso with a move to Juve.

The Lyon left-back has been strongly linked with a return to the Serie A having joined French giants in 2007 from Inter Milan.

"I'm going to be honest, Grosso does not interest us," said Blanc. "He is under contract (until June 2012) and is not a free agent like Fabio Cannavaro.

"I don't think it's a good investment signing a 32-year-old, who has a buy-out clause."

Juve signed Italian veteran defender Cannavaro as a free agent this summer.

sky star 2

Super VIP
FABIANO MILAN BID TOO LOW

Luis Fabiano will not be joining AC Milan unless the Italian giants up their offer, according to the player's agent.

Jose Fuentes claims Sevilla turned down a 14million euro offer from Milan last week for the striker, who has a £26million release clause and is under contract with the Spanish side for another two seasons.

"Milan made a 14million euros offer, a figure that was not enough to acquire the striker," said Fuentes.

"This figure undervalues the player and hence it cannot be accepted. Sevilla have every reason for not wanting to accept this offer.

"We now await to see if Milan will make a second offer for Luis Fabiano.

"But if Milan do not increase their bid it's clear that the Rossonero club are not interested in Fabiano."

The Brazil forward, who finished as the top scorer in the Confederations Cup last month, had been keen on joining the Rossoneri.

"We are not angry, we are just disappointed," said Fuentes.

"We are not worried because life goes on but we are saddened because the player had made his mind up about going to Milan.

"Milan said they wanted him but the likelihood is that he will not go there because they have not made a second offer so far."

sky star 2

Super VIP
PEP GIVES BLESSING TO ETO'O DEAL

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola feels it would be best for the club if Samuel Eto'o leaves the Nou Camp.

Eto'o is set for talks with Inter Milan after the two clubs agreed a fee of 45million euros plus the Cameroon striker for Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Alexander Hleb will also join the Serie A outfit on loan.

And Guardiola believes it is the right move for the Catalan giants.

"I am convinced that the best thing for Barca is for Eto'o to leave," he said. "Could I be mistaken? Maybe so.

"But I am here to make these decisions.

"I feel it is the best for the team, for the club, but I don't dare say for Samuel.

"I am very grateful to Samuel, not just for this year, but for the five years he spent here.

"We'll see how the situation ends."

Speculation has been rife since the end of the last campaign that Guardiola, who transfer-listed Eto'o last summer, was not keen on the Cameroon international.

The treble-winning coach confirmed he feels Eto'o has to go but insists it has nothing to do with personal issues but simply a need to shake up the dressing room.

"Without him we wouldn't have achieved what we achieved last year," added Guardiola. "There are no footballing or personal reasons or anything about his behaviour.

"It's simply a question of 'feeling', and that's how I feel.

"I think you have to change things. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's my responsibility. It's my decision.

"There are no behavioural reasons, you shouldn't look for them. I am not here to change anyone's character, but I can decide on which players I want to count on for the season.

"After what we won, we had to change the dressing room. I took this decision from my experience as a footballer."

Barca president Joan Laporta admitted earlier he did not know what would happen if Eto'o decided not to move to the San Siro.

However, Guardiola claims that if the player remained on Barca's books they would end their attempt to sign Ibrahimovic.

"Each player has his own situation and today, apart from Madrid who have brought in everyone, the world is as it is because it costs a lot to sign players," he said.

"What will happen in the next few days no one knows.

"We are rich but not so much. They are two very important players and to have 'overbooking' in such an important position is not good in the long term.

"I can't let this situation come about.

"I have not spoken to him (Eto'o), there are other people in charge who are used to doing so.

"Does he feel betrayed? I hope not.

"You don't know what will happen and who knows he could still be with us in training on the 27th."

Earlier, Laporta mirrored his coach's assertion that the time is right for Eto'o to move on.

He said: "As a result of a conversation that I had with Eto'o before my meeting with (Inter president Massimo) Moratti, we understood that it was time to look for a team for him and 24 hours later the possibility of going to Inter came up.

"Eto'o will go to a club where they will also treat him with respect.

"We have come to an agreement with Inter about the fee and we are waiting for Inter to come to an agreement with Eto'o and us with Ibrahimovic.

"I talked to Eto'o after the meeting with Moratti that night and then Inter talked with his agent and Mourinho talked to Eto'o."

If the deal goes through, Ibrahimovic would be Barca's second summer signing and their first big-money move, following the 4.5million euro deal for Maxwell.

However, Laporta insists they are not set to follow in the footsteps of bitter rivals Real Madrid who have shelled out over 200million euros bringing in Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Raul Albiol.

"It's a different sort of deal, because it's based around different financial amounts, which are fairly reasonable," he said.

Laporta also admitted he is at a loss as to why Valencia striker David Villa's proposed move to the Nou Camp collapsed.

"Incomprehensibly, our offer was not accepted by Valencia," he said.

"We had information that said that the player had word that, for a determined amount, he could leave the club.

"And Barca offered this amount and more. That's why I say incomprehensibly."

Meanwhile, Inter sporting director Marco Branca claimed on Monday afternoon that Eto'o's agent will be in Milan on Tuesday to hold further talks over the player's proposed transfer to the San Siro.

"The agent of the Cameroon striker, Jose Maria Mesalles, will be in Milan tomorrow," Branca told Inter's official website.

"The deal has not been completed. There are still many issues to discuss but I am optimistic."

sky star 2

Super VIP
INTER HOPEFUL OF ETO'O DEAL

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti is confident they can agree a deal with Samuel Eto'o to take him to the San Siro.

The Cameroon striker has been offered to Inter by Barcelona in a swap deal for Zlatan Ibrahimovic, with the Swede keen on securing a switch to the Nou Camp.

Barca coach Pep Guardiola admitted earlier this week it was probably best all round for Eto'o to leave the European champions.

Reports have suggested the deal could flounder on the wage demands of Eto'o, but Inter are hopeful they will be able to thrash out a deal.

Eto'o's agent Jose Maria Mesalles has travelled to Milan to hold talks with Inter officials and a five-year deal is believed to be on the table.

Moratti is optimistic a deal will be pushed through to see Eto'o link up with the Italian champions.

"I have no certainty but I'm confident," Moratti told the Italian press.

sky star 2

Super VIP
BECKHAM EXPECTS MILAN RETURN

David Beckham is confident he will be back at AC Milan next season.

The Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder impressed during a six-month loan spell with the Rossoneri last season and new Milan coach Leonardo has revealed he would welcome him back.

Tottenham and Chelsea, now managed by Carlo Ancelotti, the man who brought Beckham to the San Siro in the first place, are also reportedly interested in the former Manchester United player.

However, Beckham claims there is only one destination for him come the end of the Major League Soccer season.

"I hope to return to play for Milan," he told the club website. "They have remained in my heart and honestly I am confident I will greet them again in November.

"Leonardo wants me in rossonero immediately? It's really pleasing to see that I have left good memories."

Speculation is mounting Beckham could leave the Galaxy sooner than expected as his relationship with the club's fans continues to grow sour.

The England international was roundly booed in yesterday's friendly against Milan and had an ugly confrontation with supporters during half-time in what was his first home game since his return from Italy.

However, Galaxy would likely demand close to 13million euros for the 34-year-old.

sky star 2

Super VIP
PAV AGENT PLAYS DOWN ROMA LINK

Roman Pavlyuchenko's agent has dismissed reports linking the Tottenham striker with a move to Roma.

Pavlyuchenko has failed to impress at White Hart Lane since arriving last summer and speculation is rife that Spurs are looking to offload the Russia forward, who is under contract until 2013.

However, Viktor Kolar in confident his client will still be in North London next season.

"I don't know anything," he told ForzaRoma.info. "By reading the papers I learnt that the club would make a move for the player, but with regards to myself no-one has made me aware of anything.

"There's nothing concrete because there have been no offers made either to the club or to the player.

"I don't have any idea how they can write that Roman will be at Roma.

"I spoke to the management and I know that next year he will be part of a serious project.

"He still has many years on his contract and he intends to prove also in England how much he is worth."

Reports suggest Tottenham could use the 27-year-old as part of a deal to bring in Roma striker Mirko Vucinic.

sky star 2

Super VIP
HLEB IN DARK OVER INTER MOVE

Alexander Hleb's agent believes the Barcelona midfielder would welcome a move to Inter Milan but insists he has not been informed of any possible deal.

Barca have agreed a fee with Inter of 45million euros plus Samuel Eto'o for Zlatan Ibrahimovic in a deal which will also see Hleb join the Serie A side on loan.

However, the Belarus international's agent insists they have not been approached by either club.

"Hleb will leave with the team on the flight to London where Barcelona will play a friendly," Maurizio Guadino told Calciomercato.it.

"No-one has talked to us yet about Inter, the two clubs are in talks and so at the moment Ale is thinking about working hard for Barca."

Hleb only moved to the Nou Camp last summer in a 17million transfer from Arsenal but has struggled to adapt.

The 28-year-old insisted just a few days ago he would remain with the treble winners following advice from team-mate Thierry Henry, who suffered a similarly difficult first season at Barca.

But Guadino believes he would jump at the chance to move to the San Siro.

"It's obvious that he's not happy," he added. "Last year he hoped to play with more consistency, but they won everything there was to win.

"He was injured at the start of the season and that certainly penalised him.

"I don't like speaking about possibilities, but Inter would be a good destination for him, there's no doubt.

"It's a great club who would allow him to still win plenty.

"It's always an honour to be linked to teams of this calibre but I repeat that for the moment no-one has spoken with us.

"If and when the two clubs inform us of something, we will evaluate the situation."