4:2:2 via VLC with hardware decoding

dggrr

Registered
Posted to this forum as it seems to have most 4:2:2 discussions, but mods please move as appropriate.

I am wondering if anyone else has seen the VLC behaviour below?

I watch 422 feeds by streaming from various Enigma 2 receivers' web interfaces to VLC on a Linux PC.

PC is an AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7 processor, 1Gb Ethernet running Gentoo (so nearly infinitely customisable :) )

420 transmissions use the onboard VDPAU hardware decoding in VLC, so < 50% of 1 core for 1080p. However, 422 transmissions fall back to software decoding using about "150% CPU", i.e. 1.5 cores.

VLC debug logs show an attempt to use VDPAU and then:

avcodec decoder debug: available software decoder output format 4 (yuv422p)
avcodec decoder error: existing hardware acceleration cannot be reused

Googling has not produced a solution.

If I stream using mplayer, it uses VDPAU with ~62% of one core. This requires a few more manual steps.

Interestingly, running Ubuntu on the same hardware produces identical results.

Seems like a VLC bug or "limitation" to me. Anyone else notice this?

serkanguzel

Registered
Because 4;2;2 is a commercial sampling type, "hardware supported" decoding has been turned off by processor and video card manufacturers.

Victor64

Registered
Donating Member
Hello,

Please give more information's regarding 4:2:2 system. I use an Octagon SF 4008 receiver, a HITUBE 4 K receiver and a TBS 5520 SE USB TV tuner.
Which could be the solutions for watching 4:2:2 feeds ?
Thank you very much.

campag5242

Feed Hunter
Either your SF4008 (via network streaming to PC) or TBS card (via PC DVB app) could be used to view 422 feeds. In both cases you will need a strong CPU: there is no hardware 422 decoding available in PC GPUs. No idea what that Hitube box is.

bunkoknotty

Registered
I was trying to go from my Octagon 4008 to the computer and then watch the 4:2:2 feeds through my Edison Mio+ using VLC.Can this be done and if so,where would I find the necessary info?Thanks bunkoknotty

downwiththatsor

Registered
Donating Member
I have a Zgemma h7s, my Lenovo laptop fails to display 422 feeds when streamed, would the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 card in an Intel NUC NUC8i3BEH work?