Country music CMT News: News in Brief

RIDER

"Vanity is definitely my favorite sin"
Super VIP
Cherryholmes' Incessant Touring Supports New Album

Cherryholmes' Incessant Touring Supports New Album

Powered by a new album, Cherryholmes will be facing a touring schedule that takes the six-member family band to Japan for the Country Gold Festival, up and down the West Coast and back to the East for a flurry of dates, all before Christmas. While on
the California leg of the tour, the band will tape a special for PBS, details of which are still being worked out.

All this musical razzle dazzle supports Black and White: Cherryholmes II, the band's fifth album overall and its second album for Skaggs Family Records. Various members of the band wrote nine of the album's 14 songs. Ben Isaacs, of the famed Isaacs family produced it, and his sister, Sonya, wrote the CD's title cut. In a nod to the past, Cherryholmes has also included the Lester Flatt classic, "I'll Never Shed Another Tear."

Speaking to CMT.com from Dollywood, Jere Cherryholmes, the patriarch of the pack, explains how the album came together.

"We write songs and pick songs because we like them and because they reflect stylistically the way we interpret music," he says. "Then we have different people in the band audition for the part of lead singer [for each song]. We'll pick a song, and we may have three different people sing it when we're practicing it, and [that way] we find the person who's best suited for that style and for the range it's in."

There's absolutely no sense of competition in these early tryouts, Cherryholmes insists. "Everybody in the band wants what's best for the band."

Once the parts are assigned, the band moves to the demo stage. "We'll demo maybe 20 or 25 songs," Cherryholmes continues, "stuff that we've written, stuff other people have sent us that we like. Then we send them over to Skaggs [Family Records] for them to listen to. They'll send back recommendations [and] we go through them. Sometimes we'll go counter to what they recommend.

"Then we get together with the producer. The only thing musically that the producer does with us is, after we pick the songs and work on the arrangements, he'll listen and think of some fine points. One of the things we do that most bands don't is that when we write a song, we start including it in our shows before we record it. We road test them. We've actually cast some of [them] aside because they didn't go over as well or didn't get the response that we felt was [sufficient] for something we wanted to put on a record."

Cherryholmes' rise has been meteoric. Up until 1999, the three youngest members of the family had never even picked up a musical instrument. Yet in 2005, the band won the International Bluegrass Music Association's entertainer of the year prize.

The band was up for the same award this year and last but lost out both times to the Grascals. "Just being nominated," Cherryholmes observes, "kind of proves to us that [winning the honor] wasn't a fluke and that somebody out there felt we deserved it."

After their daughter Shelly Anna died in 1999, Cherryholmes and his wife Sandy corralled the rest of the family into playing bluegrass as a kind of common therapy. Although the parents were playing music in their Los Angeles church -- Sandy on piano and Jere on guitar and bass -- they were not aiming to perform professionally. Jere worked as a carpenter.

It came as a surprise, Cherryholmes admits, that the children had real music talent. When they began playing, Cia was 15, B.J. 11, Skip 9 and Molly 7. "They were just kids," Cherryholmes says with a sense of wonder. "Nobody in the group has ever taken any [formal] lessons on anything. Neither my wife nor I had enough experience on acoustic instruments to teach them to play the way that they play [now]. But we got them started."

His children developed into the formidable pickers they are today, says Cherryholmes, simply by playing together incessantly. "At first we just played for our own enjoyment. We never started off to be a band. We were really just jamming in the living room in L.A., of all places, just because it was fun."

Cherryholmes concedes that he and his wife forced the kids into giving music a try. "We didn't really leave it up to them. We made it a part of their home-school curriculum. When they were young like that, if you asked the boys what they wanted to play, it was usually drums. Cia was content to play the guitar. [She's now a prize-winning banjoist.] Molly wanted to play the violin. We started trying to get her to play it right-handed, but she didn't take to it. So I switched the strings around so she could play it left-handed. It just kind of took off."

The band got its first job offer in July 1999, Cherryholmes remembers. It grew from an appearance at a resort in California. "We knew only about nine songs -- enough to do half an hour. The idea was that we would play in one area for half an hour, and then we'd pick our instruments up and walk to another part and play again. So we figured we had it covered. It turned out that everybody who was at the first performance followed us to the second one. Before we knew it, we had the whole park following us around like we were pied pipers."

The resort owners were so impressed that they booked the band to play -- this time on stage rather than in transit -- every Saturday from Labor Day through Thanksgiving. "We scrounged and did everything we could to entertain these people," Cherryholmes says. "That's where we utilized the Irish step dancing. Sandy had taken an interest in it a couple of years earlier and taught the kids to do it for a [physical education] class. So I'd play the harmonica -- play 'Buffalo Gal' -- and they'd get out and dance. ... By the time the three months were up, we were drawing crowds of about a thousand people."

The band has gone through several name changes -- and for several reasons. At first, it called itself Spirit High Ridge, a moniker it took from the road leading to a 40-acre tract of remote family property in the White Mountains of Arizona.

"Then when we started getting hired by some promoters," Cherryholmes says, "they kind of halfway refused to use that name because they wanted the fact that we were a family to be reflected. I guess for better publicity. So without us even knowing it, they were listing us as 'the Cherryholmes Family Band.' I think it was on the last album we recorded before the two with Ricky [Skaggs] that I made a conscious effort to change the name to simply 'Cherryholmes' -- to basically bypass the stigma that's sometimes attached to family bands."

That stigma, he says, arises when people are brought into a band just because they are family members and not because they're good musicians. "I thought our family was very deep with talent," he says.

Among the people to whom Cherryholmes dedicates its new album is the late Jimmy Martin, the feisty, self-anointed King of Bluegrass.

"We never got to play a show with Jimmy," says Cherryholmes. "But when we came [to Tennessee] in 2003 and started playing this tour we're still on, we happened to get the opportunity to go meet him at his house. He took to us pretty well, and we took to him. Over the next two years, we visited him a lot of times.

"We brought our instruments over there and played music with him and went out to eat with him. He called on the phone quite frequently. ... Then he got real sick [with cancer], and we'd call on him. His last Christmas was the Christmas of 2004. He called on Christmas morning and asked us what we were doing. We said we were just going to have Christmas dinner, that we didn't have any relatives out here. So he said, 'Well, I'm here by myself. Why don't you come over and visit me?' So we went and spent the day with him and ate pecan pie and ice cream and talked. ...

"The last time we saw him was about four days before he passed [on May 14, 2005]. We hadn't taken our instruments over that time because we thought he'd be kind of tired and wouldn't be up to it. But he asked us to sing for him, and we sang a couple a cappella. One of them, he really liked, and he teared up pretty good. Before we left, he asked me if we would sing that at his funeral. ... So we did."

That song was the Louvin Brothers' "No One to Sing for Me," which Cherryholmes recorded on its first Skaggs Family album.

Diverging from its traditional heavy bluegrass festival schedule, the band played a lot of theaters and performing arts centers this year and looks to playing even more next year. That suits the elder Cherryholmes just fine.

"We actually don't have a home," he reports. "We haven't had a house for about five years now. We live on the bus on the road. That's about 300 days out of the year. [Sometimes] we'll park the bus in my friend's driveway in Goodlettsville [just outside of Nashville]. He has a little two-bedroom bachelor flat on top of his garage, and we let the kids go up there. ... Sandy and I have always slept in the bus."
related_artists.png

RIDER

Super VIP
Carrie Underwood Will Launch New CD in Times Square

Carrie Underwood Will Launch New CD in Times Square

Carrie Underwood will perform on Good Morning America's outdoor concert series in Times Square in New York City on Oct. 23, the same day she releases her new CD, Carnival Ride. The album features her current hit, "So Small." Underwood also launched her previous album, Some Hearts, in New York City during the CMA Awards broadcast at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 15, 2005.

RIDER

Super VIP
Raul Malo at Elton John Tribute in New York

Raul Malo is set to sing "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" at a gala tribute to the music of Elton John and Bernie Taupin on Wednesday night (Oct. 10) at New York's Carnegie Hall. Malo is the only Nashville artist appearing at the event benefiting music education programs for underprivileged young people. Others paying tribute to the songwriting team include Aimee Mann, Roger McGuinn and Roy Ayers. The same night, Malo will also appear with Vince Gill, Patty Griffin, Jewel and Trisha Yearwood at the Nokia Theatre in Times Square for the All for the Hall fundraiser for the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Malo, lead singer for the Mavericks, will return to Nashville for a sold-out concert at the Belcourt Theatre on Thursday night (Oct. 11).

RIDER

Super VIP
Big & Rich Will Play Early on CMA Day

Big & Rich will perform on Good Morning America from the front of the Sommet Center in downtown Nashville on Nov. 7, the morning of the 2007 CMA Awards. The duo will also perform during the televised awards ceremony. Both shows will be broadcast on ABC. Big & Rich are nominated for vocal duo and single ("Lost in This Moment"). Rich and co-writers Keith Anderson and Rodney Clawson are also up for song of the year for "Lost in This Moment."

RIDER

Super VIP
Dierks Bentley to Perform for Nashville Musician

Dierks Bentley to Perform for Nashville Musician

Dierks Bentley, the Grascals, Mark O'Connor and Ricky Skaggs are among those scheduled to perform during an Oct. 22 benefit concert for Butch Baldassari, a Nashville musician and record producer who is battling cancer. Baldassari, founder of the Nashville Mandolin Ensemble, also serves as adjunct associate professor of mandolin at Vanderbilt's Blair School of Music. The lineup for the concert at the Martha Rivers Ingram Performing Arts Center at Blair includes Shawn Camp, Kathy Chiavola, John Cowan, Bela Fleck, Tony McManus, the Nashville Bluegrass Band, the Nashville Mandolin Ensemble, Maura O'Connell, John Mock and Three Ring Circle. All proceeds will go to Baldassari and his family.

RIDER

Super VIP
Crowell, Gill, Mandrell, Hendrix Tapped for Walk of Fame

Rodney Crowell, Vince Gill, Barbara Mandrell, songwriter Bob DiPiero and the late Jimi Hendrix and Buddy Killen are in the latest round of inductees into the Music City Walk of Fame. They will be recognized when commemorative sidewalk markers are unveiled in the Hall of Fame Park in downtown Nashville on Nov. 5. Hendrix moved to Nashville in 1962 after being discharged from the Army at nearby Fort Campbell, Ky. He performed in Nashville at clubs on Jefferson Street and in Printer's Alley before moving to New York. Killen was a noted music publisher and record producer. The Music City Walk of Fame was created in 2006 to honor those who have made significant contributions to the musical heritage of Nashville.

RIDER

Super VIP
Time Life Issuing Opry Video Classics

Grand Ole Opry performances from the '50s to the '70s will be released Nov. 20 as Opry Video Classics, an eight-DVD set featuring Patsy Cline, Dolly Parton, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Tammy Wynette and many others. Released by Time Life, the 120 performances are divided into themes for the individual DVDs. One of the discs is devoted to duets, including rarities such as Don Gibson and June Carter's "Oh Lonesome Me" and Bobby Lord and Cline's "(Remember Me) I'm the One Who Loves You." Time Life will also issue a single DVD, Legends, featuring Patsy Cline's "Crazy" and other songs performed by Cash, Lynn, Conway Twitty, Willie Nelson, Ray Price and Ernest Tubb.

RIDER

Super VIP
today_in_country_music.jpg
award.png

Barbara Mandrell is named the CMA's Entertainer of the Year. She was the first performer to repeat the honor
birthday.png

Martie Macguire (Dixie Chicks) born in York, Pa.
charted.png

Merle Travis's "Divorce Me C.O.D." goes to No. 1
cma_award

The Oak Ridge Boys' "Elvira" is named the CMA's Single of the Year
"He Stopped Loving Her Again" wins the CMA Song of the Year Award for the second straight year
Terri Gibbs wins the first CMA Horizon Award
died.png

Rockabilly singer Gene Vincent died of a bleeding ulcer at age 36
John Denver was killed when the plane he was piloting crashed off the coast of Monterey, Calif.
event.png

Cyndi Thomson announced her early retirement from her career as a country artist; she had released just one album, My World, which went gold
hall_of_fame

Disc jockey Grant Turner inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame
Vernon Dalhart inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame
Comic Rod Brasfield inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame
released.png

Common Thread, a collection of Eagles songs performed by various country artists, was released; a year later it won the CMA's Album of the Year award
Faith Hill's debut album, Take Me As I Am, released
television.png

The Statler Brothers Show debuted on TN

RIDER

Super VIP
birthday.png

Singer-songwriter Dorsey Murdock Dixon (who wrote "Wreck on the Highway") born in Darlington, S.C.
Saxophonist Bill Justis ("Raunchy") born in Birmingham, Ala.
Yodeler Kenny Roberts born in Lenoir City, Tenn.
Singer-songwriter Melba Montgomery born in Iron City, Tenn.
Natalie Maines (Dixie Chicks) born in Lubbock, Texas
charted.png

Bobby Helms' No. 1 single, "My Special Angel," charted
cma_award

Ricky Skaggs wins CMA Entertainer of the Year Award
The Judds win CMA Single of the Year for "Why Not Me"
George Strait wins CMA Album of the Year for "Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind"
"God Bless The U.S.A." - written by Lee Greenwood - wins CMA Song of the Year
Reba McEntire wins second straight of four CMA Female Vocalist of the Year Awards
George Strait wins CMA Male Vocalist of the Year
The Judds win first of three straight CMA Vocal Duo of the Year Awards
Anne Murray & Dave Loggins win CMA Vocal Duo of the Year (for "Nobody Loves Me Like You Do")
Hank Williams Jr. wins CMA Video of the Year for "All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight"
Sawyer Brown wins CMA Horizon Award
Chet Atkins wins eighth of nine and fifth consecutive CMA Instrumentalist of the Year Award
Flatt & Scruggs inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame
died.png

Zeke Manners, of the original Beverly Hill Billies string band, died of heart failure at age 89
gold.png

Glen Campbell's "Galveston" single certified gold
hall_of_fame

Bill Monroe inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame
Carter Family inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame
opry.png

The Grand Ole Opry's 75th birthday celebration included a red carpet walk of stars, special weekend performances and the cutting of a large birthday cake
platinum.png

The Best of Collin Raye - Direct Hits certified platinum
recorded.png

Carter Family's last recording session
television.png

First broadcast of R.J. Reynolds Grand Ole Opry on NBC Red Network with Roy Acuff hosting
Last live Nashville Now show on TNN: The Nashville Network
wed.png

Grandpa Jones wed Ramona Riggins

RIDER

Super VIP
Kenny Rogers, John Rich, Craig Wiseman Are ASCAP's Big Winners

"Before He Cheats," "If You're Going Through Hell" Tie for Top Song

John Rich and Craig Wiseman won the top songwriting awards Monday night (Oct. 15) at ASCAP's 45th annual Country Music Awards. The performing rights society again staged its celebration at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium and followed it with a
sumptuous party at the AT&T building across the street.

"Before He Cheats" and "If You're Going Through Hell (Before the Devil Even Knows)" shared country song of the year status. Sony/ATV Music Publishing was named top publisher.

ASCAP also honored Kenny Rogers with its Golden Note award and songwriter Don Schlitz with a career achievement trophy. Highlighting the evening were performances of the Top 5 most-performed songs by the people who wrote them. In all, ASCAP handed out awards for 54 songs.

To start the proceedings, Charlie Daniels and Gretchen Wilson strolled arm-in-arm through the audience and up onto the stage. Dressed in a blindingly white suite, a straw, broad-brimmed planter's hat and sunglasses, Daniels looked like the plantation owner in a Tennessee Williams movie. Wilson was the antithesis of redneck chic in her black, long-sleeved, form-fitting jacket and dark, bell-bottom trousers.

Having made their fashion statements, the two immediately launched into a scorching rendition of "Jackson," backed by Daniels' band. When the song was over, ASCAP senior vice president Connie Bradley, who hosted the evening, told the audience that Johnny Cash and June Carter had recorded their classic version of the song on the Ryman stage.

Buddy Cannon, Jamey Johnson and Bill Anderson sang the first of the Top 5 songs, "Give It Away," accompanied by Cannon's daughter, singer-songwriter Melonie Cannon. Johnson's strong lead vocals and assertive guitar picking lifted the song to a higher level of emotional torment than George Strait's hit single achieved.

During a pause in the presentations, ASCAP CEO John LoFrumento stepped in to introduce special guests in the audience, including other ASCAP dignitaries, executives from SOCAN (the Canadian performing rights organization) and Nashville's new mayor, Karl Dean.

Accompanied by a string trio, Josh Kear and Chris Tompkins performed their Carrie Underwood blockbuster, "Before He Cheats," the second Top 5 song of the evening. Kear's delivery was so intense -- and the strings so deliciously foreboding -- that the audience began cheering halfway through.

The funniest segment occurred when the curtains parted to reveal what appeared to be three Brad Paisleys. One actually was Paisley. The two others -- songwriters Kelley Lovelace and Lee Thomas Miller -- wore Paisley-style hats and played their guitars with Paisley-like authority. It was this unlikely trio's duty to sing the third Top 5 song, "The World," with Lovelace handling lead vocals, Miller providing harmony (although he later took a lead) and Paisley playing dutifully off to the side. Both imitators had the star's stage moves down pat. At times, it resembled a chorus line.

"Brad, how does it feel to be a sideman," Bradley asked. "I like it," said Paisley, although not with much conviction.

ASCAP executive Todd Brabec introduced the part of the program honoring Rogers. First up was Chris Stapleton, who sang a cover of Rogers' 1977 hit, "Sweet Music Man," that sounded a lot like the original. Rivers Rutherford followed with "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)," from Rogers' days in the band, the First Edition. Greeted by prolonged applause and a standing ovation, Schlitz wrapped up the lyrical introduction with "The Gambler," his song that had netted Rogers a No. 1 country hit, a Grammy and the basis for a series of TV movies.

"That's the only song I know by heart," said the puckish Schlitz as the applause died away. "Kenny took that song and made it his own. And he made it more than I imagined."

Rogers' success with "The Gambler" and his personal encouragement were life changing, Schlitz said. "He gave me artistic independence for the rest of my life. Most of the time I've squandered it."

Rogers then came out to a standing ovation and accepted the Golden Note award.

"Does anyone else notice how much I looked like Don Schlitz when I was young?" he asked. He thanked the assembled songwriters for continuing to give him their best songs, even when his record sales dwindled.

Observing that next year will be his 50th year in the music business, Rogers set aside his award, seated himself on a stool beside his guitarist and sang "The Greatest," another Schlitz composition.

After the song, Rogers turned the tables by paying tribute to Schlitz and presenting him ASCAP's Creative Achievement prize. Schlitz thanked numerous friends and mentors by name and then, to lighten things up, announced that he would be playing the Bluebird Café Friday night.

Wearing gigantic sunglasses with heart-shaped lenses, Wiseman sang "Summertime," his hit for Kenny Chesney, and the fourth of ASCAP's most-performed songs. Dave Berg and Georgia Middleman offered up the final song in the series, "If You're Going Through Hell (Before the Devil Even Knows)."

LoFrumento and Bradley closed the evening by announcing the major winners. Rich took the songwriter-artist of the year award for the third consecutive time. Wiseman copped the top songwriter prize, also for the third time.

Among the other artists attending were Kenny Chesney, Dierks Bentley, Jason Aldean, Eric Church, Phil Vassar, Kellie Pickler, Blaine Larsen and Keith Anderson.

RIDER

Super VIP
big_state_festival12-189x182.jpg

Tim McGraw Takes on Texas at Big State Festival

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Tim McGraw isn't officially on tour, but he did find the time in his now not-so-busy schedule to headline the Big State Festival on Sunday night (Oct. 14). The two-day event began Saturday at the Texas World Speedway near
College Station, Texas.

After announcing that he's taken a few months off, McGraw told the audience, "I'm taking the girls to school, and then going home and sitting in a chair. I'm picking up the girls from school and then sitting in the chair again. I'm watching football" -- and this is where the Texas Aggies crowd screamed like crazy -- "and I'm eating ice cream."

Although the inaugural Big State Festival set its sights high with big-name talent, the stages weren't equipped for the cutting-edge stage equipment featured on McGraw and Faith Hill's Soul2Soul 2007 tour. Instead, the fans at the festival pretty much just got McGraw, his Dancehall Doctors band and an hour-plus worth of hits. Without the flashing lights and special effects, he relied on his music. Luckily, he has built up an arsenal of quality material throughout his career, with songs like as "Something Like That," "Everywhere," "For a Little While," "The Cowboy in Me," "When the Stars Go Blue" and more.

McGraw also told the crowd that he's back in the studio working on a new album and hopes to have a single in early 2008 -- and it will probably be "Southern Voice," inspired by Southern people who have left their mark on the world. However, his current hit received the most attention of the night. With minimal accompaniment, the simple message and melody of "If You're Reading This" drove the point home. He sent the crowd into the occasionally rainy night with a concert staple, "I Like It, I Love It."

From green light to checkered flag, not once did I hear someone trashing Nashville and how Texas music is superior. Considering the lineup, both sides had enough ammunition to have forced an eventual draw. Plus, when you bring barbecue and beer, common interests suddenly become far greater than any differences we might have.

So, who should take a victory lap? Kelly Willis, naturally. She blended music from her terrific new album with several crowd favorites, like "Wrapped," the George Strait hit. Her husband, Bruce Robison, wrote it and sang it again later that day with his brother, Charlie Robison. To make it even better, all three shared the stage for "Angry All the Time." Another cool thing: I walked up to Billy Joe Shaver's set in time to hear him sing three of my favorite songs in a row -- "When Fallen Angels Fly," "Star in My Heart" and "Live Forever."

Willie Nelson is always hard to beat, even though I had just seen him three nights earlier at Floore's Country Store in Helotes, Texas. I was in the photo pit at that show, too, and when he noticed me again, he looked genuinely surprised, then grinned really big and waved right at me. I swear, he did! Then I had to scramble over to see Trace Adkins, who was across the speedway doing tunes from his first album. Those are my favorite songs in his repertoire, so I can see why people would want to stick around, but I was thinking, "Come on, folks! Willie Nelson is RIGHT OVER THERE!"

I enjoyed hearing Jack Ingram, Robert Earl Keen and Lyle Lovett telling stories about when they used to play the bars in College Station. (Keen and Lovett were college roommates at Texas A&M University.) I heard a great song by Colin Gilmore, and if I could sing a note, I'd cut it as my first single -- "What Did You Do With the You That I Knew." That tune was rolling around in my head for hours, even when Lynyrd Skynyrd was playing so loud I couldn't hear anything else. Also, I finally "get" Kevin Fowler. His albums never really hit me like, say, Reckless Kelly's, but hearing Fowler in front of his feel-good fans was a big "a-ha!" moment. I'd like to see that show again.

I also realized how much I'll miss the Wreckers when they move on to solo projects later this year. I was about to wander to another stage when I heard them wonder aloud, "Do we have any Judds fans in the house?" Pivot and reverse. So many country artists cover Guns N' Roses or Def Leppard or AC/DC these days, and it drives me crazy, so hearing "Love Is Alive" was refreshing. One other thing that country concerts are doing wrong these days, in my opinion, is playing about five minutes of "pump-you-up" music, while the solo artist's band just stands there.

That said, I have to give credit to Gary Allan, who knows how to make an entrance. Late in his set, he also offered a new song, "She's So California," which he wrote with Jamie Hanna, the former Hanna-McEuen member who's now his guitarist. Dierks Bentley's music always stands tall at a festival, and this was no exception. Also, Miranda Lambert must have sold a lot of merchandise on Saturday night because I saw several women wearing her T-shirts on Sunday. She told the crowd how humbled she was to play the festival, sharing the roster with so many of her Texas musical inspirations. Rising Texas talent, like the Ginn Sisters and Sunny Sweeney, kept that tradition alive on the acoustic stage in the far corner of the speedway, next to all the stockcars which raced the track twice each day. You could see the oval best on a balcony above the line of RVs belonging to the barbecue competitors. The break also offered a nice opportunity to check out the vendors selling everything from hot sauce to headbands.

For those who'd rather watch Texas football, Stubb's BBQ sponsored a barn in the middle of the speedway with several rows of chairs, plentiful cold drinks and a big TV screen. Throw in some ice cream, and maybe Tim McGraw himself would approve.

RIDER

Super VIP
birthday.png

Bill Bolick (Blue Sky Boys) born William A. Bolick in Hickory, N.C.
Singer-songwriter Mitchell Torok (who wrote the Jim Reeves hit, "Mexican Joe") born in Houston, Texas
Cowboy singer Johnny Western born in Two Harbors, Minn.
Cecil Stamps Blackwood (Blackwood Brothers gospel group) born in Ackerman, Miss.
Charlie Daniels born in Wilmington, N.C.
Street singer and recording artist Ted Hawkins born in Biloxi, Miss.
Brad Paisley born in Glen Dale, W.Va.
Haley Marie Dunn born to Ronnie & Janine Dunn (Brooks & Dunn)
died.png

Jimmie Skinner died
Songwriter Mel Foree died of cancer
gold.png

Shania Twain's single "Love Gets Me Every Time" certified gold
Lyle Lovett's The Road to Ensenada album certified gold
joined_opry

Bill Monroe joined the Grand Ole Opry
Willie Nelson joined the Opry
recorded.png

Delmore Brothers first recording session
released.png

Tracy Lawrence's debut album, Sticks and Stones, released
television.png

Elvis Presley made his second Ed Sullivan Show appearance on CBS-TV
wed.png

Marie Osmond married Brian Blosil

RIDER

Super VIP
Rascal Flatts' Still Feels Good and Kenny Chesney's "Don't Blink" continue to top Billboard's country albums and country songs charts. Flatts has held at No. 1 for four straight weeks, Chesney for two.

Those bells you hear
jingling are attached to Toby Keith's A Classic Christmas, which is this week's highest-debuting CD, arriving at No. 8. A second holiday package, Randy Travis' Songs of the Season, makes its bow at No. 73.

Keith also has the week's highest-entering song, "Got My Drink On." It surfaces at No. 49.

The two Christmas albums are the week's only breakthroughs, but there are three re-entries: the Broken Bridges soundtrack (No. 66), Believe: Songs of Faith From Today's Top Country & Christian Artists (No. 70) and Alan Jackson's Like Red on a Rose (No. 72).

The other first-time songs are Josh Gracin's "We Weren't Crazy" (No. 51) and Luke Bryan's "We Rode in Trucks" (No. 60). Brooks & Dunn's "Cowboy Town" returns to the chart at No. 58.

Following Still Feels Good on the chart in descending order are Reba McEntire's Reba Duets, Sara Evans' Greatest Hits, LeAnn Rimes' Family and Chesney's Just Who I Am: Poets & Pirates.

Rounding out the Top 5 songs, also from the top down, are Dierks Bentley's "Free And Easy (Down the Road I Go)," Tim McGraw's "If You're Reading This," Carrie Underwood's "So Small" and Keith's "Love Me If You Can."

Keep an eye on Rascal Flatts' "Winner at a Losing Game," which bounds from No. 41 to No. 23, and Brad Paisley's "Letter to Me," vaulting from No. 60 to No. 38. This is just the second week out for both songs.

Expect the amazing Underwood to upset a lot of apple carts when her Carnival Ride rolls in next week.

RIDER

Super VIP
Lorrie Morgan has filed for divorce from Sammy Kershaw. She filed for divorce on Tuesday (Oct. 23) in Sumner County (Tennessee) Chancery Court. Morgan and Kershaw were married Sept. 29, 2001. She cited irreconcilable differences in the filing and asked for enforcement of a prenuptial agreement executed on Sept. 6, 2001. They separated in early August. Kershaw recently ran unsuccessfully for lieutenant governor of Louisiana. She has been married five times. He has been married four times.
RELATED ARTISTS

RIDER

Super VIP
CMT Giants: Hank Williams, Jr., which honors the life and music of the artist, was taped before a live audience on Thursday (Oct. 25) at the Gibson Amphitheatre in Los Angeles. The artist lineup included performances by Tim McGraw, Brad Paisley, Kid Rock, Gretchen Wilson, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Buddy Guy. Other participants included Alan Jackson, Toby Keith, Steven Tyler, Shooter Jennings, Holly Williams, Jimmy Kimmel and Terry Bradshaw. The two-hour special, CMT Giants: Hank Williams Jr., will premiere on CMT on Nov. 17 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

RIDER

Super VIP
NASHVILLE SKYLINE: CMA Awards Show Gets the Music Right

NASHVILLE SKYLINE: CMA Awards Show Gets the Music Right

skyline.logo.189x182.gif

The 41st Annual Gala Presented a Balanced View of Country

So, what was your take on the CMA Awards show? I thought that, overall, the show was quite good. I realize that it's incredibly difficult to try to
present the best of today's country music in perspective and then to rein in the performers that you want and persuade them to perform the music that you want them to perform. And then to make it all work in three hours. But I think the show overall was quite entertaining -- which, these days, believe me, is high praise indeed.

For one thing, I have always thought the show needs to be -- above all else -- a showcase of the best of contemporary country music, and I think it succeeded to a large extent in doing that. In the past, this show has seemed to me to be more about becoming a brand for the CMA Awards show itself than being about country music, and I didn't get that impression from the show this year.

I also have to wonder if the Writers Guild of America strike had any impact on this production because, as far as I could tell, the CMA Awards show had little written script at all and what there was wasn't sparkling. The positive side was that the show was hugely about mainly presenting live songs, and it succeeded very well in that regard.

By my count there were 20 songs presented live, ranging from Rascal Flatts' pop country to Miranda Lambert's fiery outlaw rock to Alison Krauss' lovely "Simple Love." Standout performances were easily Jennifer Nettles' powerhouse delivery of the emotional "Stay," Little Big Town's still-potent "Boondocks" (the CMA's choice for them to perform) and the Eagles' textbook primer on country rock.

To my mind, I've always felt that the CMA has been about introducing country music to as many people as possible and letting all of them make up their own minds about what they like and don't like. In that sense, this show was pretty well balanced. I also feel the CMA's mission especially with this show is to be about informing audiences of where country music came from and why it is what is today.

I didn't see that in this show. I got no sense of tradition, outside of George Strait. I saw a belated fly-by salute to Country Music Hall of Fame inductees Vince Gill, Mel Tillis and Ralph Emery. Dwight Yoakam, in what I wonder was done by his insistence, gave a fitting tribute to the late Hall of Famer Porter Wagoner. But there was no mention at all of another Hall of Famer who had died the day before, the great Hank Thompson. Don't tell me that there's no time to write that into the script -- if there was a script. I've worked on TV shows. TV scripts have only one final deadline, and that's when the camera rolls. So, where was Hank Thompson? Even a brief Thompson mention certainly would have been more appropriate than having a clueless Kate Walsh as a host, simply to cross-promote her ABC-TV series. That's not very country, now is it? I can think of any number of credible artists outside of country who would have enhanced the show in place of these ABC shills like Walsh and James Denton. Kelly Clarkson, anyone?

Career-enhancing appearances from my perspective: Nettles, Little Big Town, Eagles, Taylor ("highlight of my senior year") Swift, Jamey ("ex-wife") Johnson, Strait, Kellie Pickler, Krauss and Yoakam. And at least the three new Country Music Hall of Fame inductees were acknowledged.

RIDER

Super VIP
Eagles Hold Garth Brooks at Bay on the Charts

Garth Brooks' The Ultimate Hits failed this week to dislodge the Eagles' Long Road Out of Eden from the top of Billboard's country albums chart. Instead, the record-setting Oklahoman had to settle for the No. 2 spot, as the
Eagles outsold him 359,000 to 352,000 copies.

Counting the 711,000 units the country rockers sold for last week's debut, they're already well past platinum -- not bad for an act that made its first chart appearance 35 years ago when Garth was 10 years old.

Over on the songs list, Dierks Bentley finally slugs his way to No. 1 with "Free and Easy (Down the Road I Go)." In the process, he nudges Kenny Chesney's five-week chart topper, "Don't Blink," back to No. 2.

Also entering the albums chart are Little Big Town's A Place to Land (No. 10), Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers' Gram Parsons Archive Volume One: Live at the Avalon Ballroom 1969 (No. 45) and Diamond Rio's A Diamond Rio Christmas: The Star Still Shines (No. 72).

Last week's CMA Awards show seems to have had some effect on the rankings. George Strait's It Just Comes Natural, which won the album of the year prize, boun*s from No. 32 to No. 20 as Keith Urban's Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing springs from No. 33 to No. 21 and Kellie Pickler's Small Town Girl vaults from No. 56 to No. 31. All three singers performed on the highly-rated special.

Sugarland's "Stay," which the show also spotlighted, takes a healthy leap from No. 18 to No. 13.

Returning to the album lineup are Emerson Drive's Countrified (No. 69), Vince Gill's These Days (No. 71) and Kenny Rogers' 21 Number Ones (No. 75).

Alan Jackson has the highest-charting new song, "Small Town Southern Man," which pops in at No. 42. Running a few paces behind are Jack Ingram's "Maybe She'll Get Lonely" (No. 50), Halfway to Hazard's "Devil and the Cross" (No. 51) and Cole Deggs & the Lonesome's "Girl Next Door" (No. 58). Luke Bryan's "We Rode in Trucks" re-enters at No. 53.

Rounding out the Top 5 albums are Carrie Underwood's Carnival Ride (No. 3), Taylor Swift's self-titled CD (No. 4) and Reba McEntire's Reba Duets (No. 5).

Following Bentley and Chesney, in descending order, within the Top 5 songs are Underwood's "So Small," Brooks' "More Than a Memory" and Josh Turner's "Firecracker."

And that's the news from the provinces. Stay centered,

RIDER

Super VIP
Dolly Parton's 9 to 5 Musical Launching in L.A.

A stage musical of 9 to 5, which was scored by Dolly Parton, will premiere in Los Angeles in September 2008. The musical will include songs from the hit movie and new material Parton has written for the production. Allison Janney, Stephanie J. Block, Megan Hilty and Marc Kudisch will star in the show, which will be mounted by the Center Theatre Group at the Ahmanson Theatre. Joe Mantello (Wicked, The Ritz) will direct.
dollyparton50-426x135.jpg
biography_logo.jpg
Born on Jan. 19, 1946, in Locust Ridge, Tenn., into a poor family that would eventually include 12 children, Dolly Parton learned early to escape the hardships of life through her vivid and far-ranging imagination. Before she learned to read and

write, she was "making up" her own songs. She got her first guitar when she was 8 and began singing on a Knoxville, Tenn., radio station at age 11. That same year, she made her first recording on Gold Band Records, a tiny independent label. She made a name for herself locally while still in high school, but she dreamed of a bigger stage. The day after she graduated in 1964, she moved to Nashville.Her first charting records on Monument Records included "Dumb Blonde" and "Something Fishy," both in 1967. At about this time, Porter Wagoner was looking for a new "girl singer" for his syndicated television show. Parton accepted the job in 1967, signed with RCA Records in 1968 and joined the Grand Ole Opry in 1969. However, she left Wagoner's show in 1974, as her solo releases -- such as "Joshua," "Coat of Many Colors" and "Jolene" -- were out-charting their collaborations. After their split, Parton wrote the song "I Will Always Love You" for Wagoner, and it reached No. 1 for the first time in 1974.
As a solo artist, Parton also snared the CMA's female vocalist award in 1975 and 1976 and won the entertainer trophy in 1978. Still, her TV variety series lasted only one season, in 1976. Her musical style grew closer to pop music, but fans responded as "Here You Come Again" spent five weeks at No. 1 in 1978.
She also grew more interested in movies, starring in 1980's 9 to 5 -- the title song earned her an Oscar nomination -- and 1982's Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. Taken from the Whorehouse soundtrack, "I Will Always Love You" reached No. 1 again in 1982. A Bee Gees-written duet with Kenny Rogers, "Islands in the Stream," topped the country charts in 1983.
Parton returned to her acoustic roots when she recorded the 1987 landmark album Trio with Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt. Four of its singles reached the Top 10, and "To Know Him Is To Love Him" reached No. 1. After signing to Columbia Records, she returned to No. 1 as a solo artist in 1989 with "Why'd You Come in Here Lookin' Like That." That same year, she starred in the hit movie Steel Magnolias with Olympia Dukakis, Daryl Hannah, Sally Field, Shirley MacLaine and Julia Roberts.
A 1991 duet with Ricky Van Shelton, "Rockin' Years," reached No. 1 in 1991, but Parton's greatest commercial fortune of the decade -- and probably of all-time -- came when Whitney Houston recorded "I Will Always Love You" for The Bodyguard soundtrack, and both the single and the album were massively successful. In 1993, she recorded the album Honky Tonk Angels with Loretta Lynn and Tammy Wynette.
Parton re-recorded "I Will Always Love You" with Vince Gill, and they won a CMA award for vocal event in 1996. Taken from the album Trio II, a cover of "After the Gold Rush" won a Grammy for best country collaboration with vocals in 1999, and Parton was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame later that year.
However, she was frustrated by her fruitless attempts to secure a solo hit single in the 1990s. Instead, she teamed with respected independent label Sugar Hill Records and offered the back-to-basics acoustic album The Grass Is Blue in 1999. An instant favorite among critics and longtime fans, it won the International Bluegrass Music Association's album of the year and a Grammy for best bluegrass album. She followed it with Little Sparrow in 2001 and Halos & Horns in 2002. The patriotic For God and Country appeared in 2003 and was followed by the CD and DVD Live and Well a year later. Those Were the Days from 2005 found Parton covering her favorite pop songs from the '60s and '70s.
In 2006, she earned her second Oscar nomination for "Travelin' Thru," which she wrote specifically for the film Transamerica. She also returned to No. 1 on the country charts later that year by lending her distinctive harmonies to the Brad Paisley ballad, "When I Get Where I'm Going."
Parton also changed the landscape of her Tennessee stomping grounds when she opened the Dollywood theme park in 1985. It remains among the most popular vacation destinations in the South. She has also donated more than 1 million books to pre-school children across the United States and provides scholarships to high school students in Sevier County, Tenn. In return, the county honored her with a life-size statue in front of the courthouse.

RIDER

Super VIP
Gary Allan's Greatest Hits has been certified gold by the RIAA for shipments of 500,000 copies. Released in March, the 15-son

Gary Allan's Greatest Hits has been certified gold by the RIAA for shipments of 500,000 copies. Released in March, the 15-song collection includes "Smoke Rings in the Dark," "Man to Man," "Tough Little Boys," "Nothing on but the Radio" and "Best I Ever Had." Allan released a new album, Living Hard, in October. He concludes his tour with Keith Urban on Dec. 16 in London, Ontario.

RIDER

Super VIP
Martina McBride has given her support to the YWCA of Nashville's holiday auction. Items up for bid online include a portrait of McBride painted by Rachel Kice, a member of the MuzikMafia. Other celebrity contributors include Big & Rich, Diamond Rio, Kenny Rogers, Carlos Santana, NFL player Mark Tuinei and Clay Walker, among others. The auction closes on Wednesday (Dec. 12). McBride will host her annual YWCA celebrity auction during the CMA Music Festival in June 2008.