Latest ChampionShip News

sky star 2

Super VIP
Iron still hope to sign Trotter
Adkins waiting for Ipswich midfielder to decide on offer

Scunthorpe United boss Nigel Adkins remains hopeful of signing Ipswich Town midfielder Liam Trotter.

The 20-year-old made 14 appearances on loan at Glanford Park last season and helped the club to secure promotion to the Championship.

He has been offered a new contract at Ipswich, prompting suggestions the Iron would be unable to re-sign the player.

However, Adkins is not conceding defeat in his quest to sign Trotter and is waiting for the youngster to make a decision on his future.

"We know Ipswich have offered Liam a new deal, but he knows there is something for him here too," Adkins told the Scunthorpe Telegraph.

"It's up to him to decide where his future is.

"The situation is a bit delicate at the moment, but I have had a further talk with his agent and hopefully the door is still open for us."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Hughes keen on Swans post
Falkirk chief interested in succeeding Martinez

Falkirk boss John Hughes admits he would be 'very interested' in replacing Roberto Martinez as Swansea City manager.

Martinez is expected to become Wigan Athletic's new boss next week to succeed Steve Bruce, who has joined Sunderland.

The Championship club have been linked with a move for Hughes after chairman Huw Jenkins refused to rule the ex-Swans player out of the running.

Hughes, who led Falkirk to the Scottish Cup final, confirmed he would be prepared to discuss a move to the Liberty Stadium if Swansea made an official approach.

"I'm contracted to Falkirk, I'm enjoying my job at Falkirk and it would have to be an official approach for anything else to happen," he said.

"It's a massive club, I had a great time at Swansea when I was there.

"I'm flattered to be linked with such a good club, a wonderful city and really warm people.

"I would be very interested if the approach was official."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Pools hope to bring back Dimi
Turner also has two foreign signings in the pipeline

Hartlepool United remain hopeful of signing Dimi Konstantopoulos and have also lined up deals for two overseas players.

Konstantopoulos left Hartlepool for Coventry City two years ago, but did not make a first-team appearance for the Championship club last season.

He undertook loan spells at Welsh rivals Cardiff City and Swansea City, and has now been offered a return to League One side Hartlepool.

The club's director of sport Chris Turner wants to sign the Greek goalkeeper on loan and also has plans to bring in two players from abroad.

"At this present time we're very, very close to signing four players and it's now just about getting one or two things sorted out and finalised," Turner told the club's official website.

"There are a couple of players from abroad who we've watched over the last few weeks and I know that if we can bring those two in they will make a massive, massive difference to the team.

"We'd love to sign Dimi and we've tried to get him on a six-month loan deal, but if we can't get him then we'll get a keeper who we feel can do the job at League One."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Barton keen on Toon stay
Controversial midfielder wants to remain at St James' Park

Joey Barton has insisted he would be happy to stay at Newcastle United and help the club return to the Premier League.

Reports have suggested the midfielder is likely to leave the Championship side following a bust-up with interim manager Alan Shearer.

Blackburn Rovers are said to be interested in his services, but Barton is eager to remain on Tyneside.

He told The Chronicle: "I don't know what is going to happen with the club or with the manager situation.

"I'm just looking forward to going back and my intention is to stay at the club and help Newcastle back into the Premier League.

"If Alan Shearer takes the job and if he doesn't want me then my hands are tied. All I can do is try and get as fit as possible, but I have got to prepare for all eventualities."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Rodgers reveals Jose advice
New Royals boss admits Mourinho advised him to take the job

New Reading manager Brendan Rodgers has revealed that Jose Mourinho advised him to take the post at the Madejski Stadium.

The 36-year-old quit Watford, after only taking over in November 2008, on Thursday and succeeds Steve Coppell as Royals boss.

Rodgers impressed in his first managerial role as he steered the Hornets to safety in the Championship last season and admits that he spoke to Inter head coach Mourinho when contemplating a return to Reading.

The Northern Irishman worked as reserve team boss under the Portuguese chief at Chelsea.

"I spoke with Jose before coming here," he told The Sun.

"He was great for me as he helped nurture my career. He's someone I can go to and get advice.

"When the approach came from Reading I spoke with him and he said 'go for it'.

"He knew Reading when they were in the Premier League. He remarked that the atmosphere at the stadium was fantastic."

sky star 2

Super VIP
No Celtic return for Larsson
And Baggies have not received contact regarding Mowbray

Henrik Larsson is not set to make a sensational return to Celtic, according to the Swede's agent.

The SPL outfit are on the lookout for a new boss following Gordon Strachan's resignation at the end of May.

A number of candidates have been linked with the job and speculation has suggested former Celtic striker Larsson was on the verge of being named assistant manager to Mark McGhee.

But the Helsingborgs forward's representative, Rob Jansen, has dismissed the conjecture.
Rumours

Jansen said in the Scottish Daily Mail: "These rumours are not true at all.

"Henrik is still playing for Helsingborgs in Sweden and it's impossible for him to break his contract or be part of anything happening at Celtic right now."

Meanwhile, West Brom insist they have not been approached by the Hoops regarding the availability of manager Tony Mowbray.

Reports had suggested that the Baggies boss, a former Celtic player, was set to be unveiled within the next 48 hours.

But a West Brom spokesman said: "I can confirm that we have received no approach from Celtic regarding Tony Mowbray."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Adkins - Hands-off Morris
Scunthorpe boss says midfielder has a future with the club

Scunthorpe boss Nigel Adkins has issued a hands-off warning to potential suitors eyeing midfielder Ian Morris.

The Iron boss says the 22-year-old has a future at the Championship club and it will cost "a lot of money" to prise him away.

Morris is out of contract but has been offered a new deal by Scunthorpe - meaning they can demand compensation if he leaves.

Carlisle are reportedly interested in the player after he spent a month on loan at Brunton Park towards the end of last season.

But Adkins told the News & Star: "If someone wants to take him from this club then they are going to have to pay a lot of money.

"Ian knows he has a future here. He knew that before he went on loan to Carlisle.

"He is a young player and a versatile one who we have helped develop."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Irvine ponders Williamson move
Lilywhites boss won't rush decision making process

Preston boss Alan Irvine says he has not yet decided whether to make a permanent offer for Watford midfielder Lee Williamson.

The midfielder, who turns 27 on Sunday, spent the final six weeks of the season on loan at Deepdale.

After a string of consistent performances during the Lilywhites' play-off push, Williamson has returned to Watford with his future unknown.

Still mulling over his options in the summer transfer window, Irvine insists he will not be rushed when it comes to deciding who to sign.
Option

Not ruling out a permanent move for Williamson, the Lilywhites boss told the Lancashire Post: "At the moment we don't know what Watford are thinking about as regard to Lee.

"We are keeping our eye on the situation and if there looks like there is an opening there for us, we will speak to them.

"Lee is not our player, he is back at Watford. When he signed for us on loan, there was no conversation about him coming here on a permanent basis.

"Quite simply, we took him on loan for the rest of the season and opted to take things from there."

He added: "I thought he did well here, he made a good contribution to us getting to the play-offs.

"Maybe Watford will want to keep a player of that quality. What their plans are, I don't know."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Magpies hope for sale
Real interest from parities interested in Newcastle

The man working to sell Newcastle United has confirmed that there is a 'good, gritty interest' in the club from a number of parties.

Keith Harris, the chairman of investment bank Seymour Pierce, was appointed by current Magpies owner Mike Ashley to find buyer for the club at the turn of the year.

Harris is hopeful a deal could be agreed by July as Newcastle prepare for life in the Championship following their relegation from the Premier League in 2008/09.

Reports in Sunday's newspapers have suggested that boss Alan Shearer is considering quitting, while there are rumours that former chairman Freddy Shepherd is considering an offer.
Attractive

Harris has hinted that there is interest from parties based in the United Kingdom, telling Sportsweek: "I'm confident...that there will be offers for Mike to consider in quite short order.

"There is real and decent interest, this is not necessarily from far flung parts of the globe and those expressing interest when it was first marketed but this is good, gritty interest."

Despite Newcastle's relegation and the huge sums lost on his investment by Ashley, Harris believes the club remains an attractive proposition.

"It is a huge club," he said. "If you think in attendance terms last year, it exceeded Liverpool, averaging 48,000 and Liverpool a little over 45,000.

"If you walk around the infrastructure, the training ground, the academy, if you're a person who is willing to take a view over the next two to three years, this is a club that belongs in the top seven.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Jenkins has choice of 100
Swans chief reveals he has had 100 applicants for manager's post

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins has revealed that he has already received 100 applications for the post made vacant by Roberto Martinez.

The Spaniard is expected to become the new manager of Wigan, where he spent six years as a player, on Wednesday, leaving the Swans managerless in what is an important time of the close season.

Martinez received plenty of plaudits for how he sent his Swansea side out to play and Jenkins was left feeling slightly disappointed that the 35-year-old has decided to switch clubs.

But the Swans chairman knows the importance of selecting the right man to continue the good work started by his ex-manager and adds that a large percentage of the applicants are of a high standard.

"I have had about 100 enquiries already," he told Sky Sports News.
Difficult job

"Looking where we were three or four years ago it shows, with the number of applicants, that the profile has grown and it's going to be a very difficult job to replace Roberto.

"Out of those 100 enquiries I could easily have 30 on a list and they're all top quality."

Jenkins pointed out that he would seek to have a new manager in place before pre-season, but confessed that a shortlist had not yet been whittled down.

"It's all about to get under way because the timing of it is not ideal," he stated.

"We have a few weeks left before the players are back in pre-season but we have not established a shortlist yet."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Fry wants swift departures
Transfer-listed players urged to move on quickly

Barry Fry has told Peterborough's 12 transfer-listed players not to stall on moving elsewhere.

Fry, director of football at London Road, fears they may reject offers from clubs in the lower leagues in the misguided belief that they could still have a future at Peterborough.

Liam Hatch has already agreed a season-long loan move to Luton and Fry has urged the others to follow suit.

Fry respects all the players on the list but wants to see them have successful careers rather than stay at Peterborough where they would not get any chances next season.

"I feel absolutely certain there will be interest and offers for every single player that we put on the transfer list, but whether they choose to accept those offers is a different matter altogether," he explained in the Evening Telegraph.

"Some of the lads might think that they will get an opportunity in the Championship if they hang around long enough, but in all fairness that is not going to happen.

"The majority of the players we made available are young so I would encourage them to get out there and play football because that's not going to happen here.

"It won't do them any good being sat in the stand for a year

sky star 2

Super VIP
Ashley wants £100million
Magpies chairman names price as Shearer is made to wait

Newcastle United's board has confirmed that chairman Mike Ashley has put a £100million asking price on the club.

Ashley is believed to be close to ending his expensive and ultimately disastrous association having now set a figure that represents a huge loss on his initial investment.

More than a week after it emerged that Ashley was looking to get out for the second time since he took control, the Magpies issued an official statement setting a price as Keith Harris, chairman of investment bankers Seymour Pierce, continued his search for buyers.

The statement read: "The board of Newcastle United can today confirm that the club is for sale at the price of £100million.

"Interested parties should contact Newcastle United at [email protected] (or Keith Harris at Seymour Pierce) for further details.

"The club will not be making any further comment at the present time."

Interested parties are said to be former chairman Freddie Shepherd and a group from the Middle East.

Harris has described both parties as having 'real and decent interest' as Ashley looks to cut his losses and get out as soon as possible

One man who will be monitoring the possible takeover is Alan Shearer.

It is believed that Shearer will have to wait until Ashley sells the club before he finds out whether he will be appointed as manager on a full-time basis.
Fans favourite

Shepherd is expected to appoint the Magpies legend should his bid prove to be successful and Harris can see the advantages of appointing Shearer as boss.

"Shearer is obviously a very charismatic figure in the area and Newcastle need some local interest," he said.

Shearer, who was appointed on a temporary basis by Ashley with just eight games to go last season, was charged with saving the chairman's and the club's skin with the Magpies deep in relegation trouble.

The former Toon striker was ultimately unsuccessful in his attempt to save his boyhood club from the drop but fans are said to be holding out on buying season tickets for next season until they know who is in charge.

Shearer is thought to be frustrated with the situation and is expected to meet with Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias on Tuesday, but he is expected to be told a decision over his future cannot be made until the takeover is complete.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Adebola set for Robins exit
Johnson admits defeat in bid to keep striker

Bristol City's out-of-contract striker Dele Adebola looks set to leave Ashton Gate this summer, according to Robins boss Gary Johnson.

The former Nigerian international has been linked with a host of clubs, including QPR, Blackpool and Nottingham Forest.

Johnson has told skysports.com his club were not willing to offer the forward a two-year deal.

"He hasn't given any indication to where his future lies yet, but I don't think it will be here at Bristol City because it looks like Dele will be moving on," said Johnson.

"He wanted an extra year on top of the deal we offered him, but we were only prepared to offer him a one-year deal, so he is free to move on now and get that two-year contract elsewhere.

"So, I suspect that he won't be at the club come the start of the season.

"He has played his part and has done very well for us in the last few seasons, but anyone over 24 can move around once their contracts expire.

"It's unfortunate, but we will move on and try to bring someone else in to take up that mantle."

Another player linked with a move away from Ashton Gate is midfielder Marvin Elliott, but Johnson is confident that the former Millwall man will remain with the Robins this summer.

"There is a lot more speculation than truth in these sort of transfer stories, but it is always nice for Marvin to see his name linked with big clubs," he added.

"He is definitely one we would like to keep and I am certain that he will be playing for us when the season gets under way."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Tuncay wants English stay
Boro star keen to remain in Premier League

Tuncay Sanli admits he would like to remain in England when he leaves Middlesbrough.

The Turkish star has impressed during his two years with Boro and with Stewart Downing injured, is likely to be the biggest departure from The Riverside this summer following their relegation.

Liverpool and Chelsea have both been linked with the impressive 27-year-old - who admits he has had contact with a number of interested parties.

"Football in England takes over your life and I was happy with how I played," he told Zaman.

"There is contact with several teams, but I cannot say how much or when until any formal offers have been made.

"There is interest from not just England, but Germany and Spain, but I want to play for another three years in England - like Tugay Kerimoglu did, he was very good in UK and has left his mark."

He has also been linked with a return to Fenerbahce but insists he is not yet ready to move back to Istanbul.

"I do not want to return to Turkey, I enjoy playing in England - but if I did return it would be for Fenerbahce," he said.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Warnock expects Kuqi exit
Palace boss believes striker will leave

Neil Warnock has admitted that Shefki Kuqi is likely to leave Crystal Palace during the transfer window.

The Finland international's contract expires at the end of the month, although he has been offered an extended deal.

Kuqi is set to make a decision about his future after Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Russia.

But Warnock believes he would have given some indication that he wanted to stay and is now resigned to losing the striker.

Kuqi, who has been at Selhurst Park since 2006, is wanted by a couple of clubs in Germany.

"I've not heard from Shefki and to be honest I would have probably heard from him by now if he was going to accept our offer," Warnock told the Croydon Advertiser.

"A couple of German clubs have made him offers."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Group confirm Mags interest
Profitable Group confirms 'initial interest' in club

The Profitable Group has confirmed its interest in buying Newcastle but says any potential bid is at an early stage.

The Singapore-based group says it has expressed an initial interest in the club but no direct talks have yet been held.

The company released a statement on its website to clarify the situation two days after it emerged that it was preparing to launch a bid to buy out Mike Ashley.

Confirming it has made contact with investment bankers Seymour Pierce, the statement read: "The Profitable Group can confirm that it has expressed an initial interest in acquiring Newcastle United.
Preliminary discussion

"A preliminary discussion with the representatives appointed to handle the sale of the club has been held, but contrary to some reports, no direct talks have been held with either the owner, Mike Ashley, or the chairman [sic], Derek Llambias.

"The group consider the leaking of the group's interest in this matter unfortunate, and as supporters of Newcastle United, seek only to serve in the best interests of the club, the fans and the local community.

"The group will not be making any further comment at the present time."

It is understood the Profitable Group has been in touch with Seymour Pierce chairman Keith Harris, although its is one of several parties to have done so with others at more advanced stages in their prospective bids.

Race

One of the 'three or four' groups acknowledged by managing director Llambias to be in the race earlier this week is thought to be South African-based, while another originates from Oman.

In addition, former chairman Freddy Shepherd has been linked with another consortium.

However, potential buyers with a genuine interest will have to sign non-disclosure agreements and prove they can come up with the money both to meet Ashley's £100million asking price and service the club's remaining debt before substantive talks can begin.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Blackwell hopes Speed stays
Blades boss hopes Swansea target stays at Bramall Lane

Sheffield United boss Kevin Blackwell has spoken of his hope that Swansea target Gary Speed stays at Bramall Lane.

The Blades player-coach is being targeted by the Swans for their vacant managerial post and United have given their Championship rivals permission to speak to the 39-year-old.

While Blackwell says it would be "great news" if Speed decided to stay, he added the club will not stand in his way if he decides to move on.

Blackwell told the Yorkshire Post: "We would never deny anyone an opportunity to further their career - and, if Gary feels that this would, we won't stand in his way.
No regrets

"He may speak to them and decide that he wants to stay with us which would be great news as far as I am concerned. But it is important Gary has no regrets."

Meanwhile, the Blades boss has welcomed the news that assistant manager Sam Ellis has turned down an offer to join Stoke.

Ellis has previously worked alongside Blackwell at Leeds United and Luton Town and the Blades boss is delighted he has opted to stay.

Blackwell said: "There was interest from Stoke but Sam is going nowhere.

"We have worked together a long time and he turned the opportunity down. You never want to lose good people but I must say it is nice when other clubs recognise the quality of your staff."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Posh improve Bennett bid
Mariners captain remains top target for Championship new boys

Championship newcomers Peterborough United have submitted an improved offer to Grimsby Town for skipper Ryan Bennett, according to Posh director of football Barry Fry.

The Mariners turned down Peterborough's initial bid, which was described as 'derisory'.

However, Fry has told skysports.com that a second bid has been put to the League Two side and they are now waiting for a response.

"I'm out in Portugal at the moment for the chairman's conference and I have spoken to John Fenty (Grimsby's chairman) and we have upped our original bid," he told skysports.com.

"We are now just waiting to get a response to our improved offer.

"We love to bring in young and hungry players whom are eager to learn and want to improve themselves at this club, so Bennett does fit the mould in that sense.

"We are going to try to bring him in, but Grimsby feel they have got an asset in the lad and they don't want him to go cheap, which is fair.

"We have now put in a big bid, which isn't cheap by any means and hopefully we will get our man, but if we don't then we will just move on to other targets."
Promotion aim

Meanwhile, Fry believes his side can raise a few eyebrows next season and gain promotion to the Premier League in the process.

The Posh have gone from League Two to the Championship in successive seasons, but Fry told believes that they could still cause a few more surprises next term.

"We don't want to go up as also-rans and we want to compete next season, so we aren't going into it to make the numbers up.

"We will be hoping to push on again and gain our third successive promotion to seal the dream of getting into the Premier League.

"There are some big teams in this division next season, but we could cause a few upsets along the way and surprise them all."

Lewis surprise

Posh keeper Joe Lewis gave Fry a scare on Monday night when he came off the bench in an unfamiliar forward role for England U21s but the former Birmingham City boss insists that he won't be continuing in that position for his club next season.

"It was a bit of a shock to the system when Joe came on up front and I nearly suffered my third heart-attack, which would have been fatal.

"I saw £5 million worth of talent come off the bench and if he had scored a goal or two then we might have been talking £10million for him, but he didn't.

"Stuart Pearce told me that he had a bit of crisis on his hands and Joe being Joe volunteered to help him out, which is a great attitude.

"He definitely won't be a striker for us and he has got a lot of competition in front of him in that area of the field. He wouldn't get in our side as a striker."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Fry wary of Baggies approach
Peterborough hopeful that club can keep manager Ferguson

Peterborough United director of football Barry Fry has conceded an approach from West Bromwich Albion would be a tempting proposition for manager Darren Ferguson.

The Baggies are ready to begin their hunt for a new boss after a £2million compensation package was agreed and Tony Mowbray was granted permission to speak with SPL giants Celtic.

Ferguson has been mooted as a potential candidate to succeed Mowbray at the Hawthorns, but Fry is hopeful of retaining the Scottish coach after he secured promotion to the Championship last season.

Fry said in the Daily Mirror: "I think Darren would see most Championship clubs as a sideways step in his career, but I don't think that would be the case with Albion.

"They are a Premier League club in my opinion but we don't want to lose him and we would not welcome any approach.

"Jeremy Peace played hardball with Celtic over Tony and we would play hardball with them over Darren."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Chawke considers Magpies bid
Former Sunderland shareholder enters Newcastle ownership battle

Former Sunderland shareholder Charlie Chawke has confirmed he is putting together a syndicate to bid for Newcastle.

Newcastle announced earlier this week that at least three interested parties had met the £100million asking price set by current owner Mike Ashley.

Negotiations are continuing but no deal has yet been done and Chawke views the prospect of buying the St James' Park outfit as 'a very viable option'.

Chawke was part of the Drumaville Consortium which took over Sunderland three years ago but is no longer involved at the Stadium of Light following Ellis Short's buy-out.

The Dublin publican is in optimistic mood and also has the support of Louis Fitzgerald, another member of the Drumaville Consortium.

He told Irish radio station RTE: "We're putting a syndicate hopefully together to do just that (bid for Newcastle).

"We had a great time in Sunderland. We got seven Irish people and one English person together with a syndicate and we succeeded in acquiring Sunderland.
Viable option

"We had three great years there but unfortunately we're gone now. It's sold out to an American and we're looking for options and Newcastle is a very viable option at the moment.

"It's on sale for about £100million which is about £500million less than what it was worth a year and a half or two years ago.

"We have to look at options other than Sunderland and Newcastle would fit very nicely into our portfolio."

Chawke is not in direct talks with Ashley but has opened discussions with his legal and financial people.

Asked how the interest had come about, he replied: "We had friends in

Sunderland who were looking at it for us, through our accountants here in

Dublin.

"What we're trying to do at the moment is put together a syndicate of people who are interested firstly in football and then investing with us in Newcastle United if possible."

Asked how many people he was looking to have in the syndicate, Chawke said: "We're thinking about possibly the same as we had in Sunderland, about eight people maybe, depending on what money we can get.

"It's a great club, it houses 52,000 people. It's a great city, Newcastle.

"It's a bit like Dublin - vibrant, full of fun... all the best things in life are there. It makes perfect sense if I could just swing it."