Whats the best option for 1 Coax Cable?

Sharpharp

Registered
Hi,

Looking to possibly expand my basic manual dish setup going to a SkyStar 2 USB Card (mains powered)

Sticking with 1 COAX connection, what would you suggest i get if i want to get multiple satellites using one dish? Is it possible to motorize the setup without any external power? Can you move the dish azimuth and elevation with a motor using the 1 coax line?

Overall, what's the best dish which will work with my setup using no external power other than the coax? Hoping to move dish to astra 28.2, 19.2, 13E, 7W etc.

Sorry, ain;t too clued up on the motorized side of things.

campag5242

Feed Hunter
Best option is a DiSEqC motor - I'm sure the forum sponsors World of Satellite will sort you out there.

Such a motor takes all its power from the 12/18V DC present on the coax cable. You'll need a perfectly vertical pole to mount it on, and plenty of patience whilst you adjust motor elevation plus dish elevation, and dish squareness to motor plus motor rotation on pole to get things spot on across the visible arc.

Sharpharp

Registered
Best option is a DiSEqC motor - I'm sure the forum sponsors World of Satellite will sort you out there.

Such a motor takes all its power from the 12/18V DC present on the coax cable. You'll need a perfectly vertical pole to mount it on, and plenty of patience whilst you adjust motor elevation plus dish elevation, and dish squareness to motor plus motor rotation on pole to get things spot on across the visible arc.

Thanks,

Does the motor only rotate across a horizontal plane or can it doe elevation?

If for example i set the evelation to Astra 28.2, can u pick up the other satellites simply moving left to right? Does evelation stay fixed?

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
If correctly set up, it tracks the Clarke belt in space where all the satellites
are and as it turns the elevation changes.

campag5242

Feed Hunter
If correctly set up, it tracks the Clarke belt in space where all the satellites
As well as that, the LNB skew tracks perfectly too, you'll see the dish lie more and more on its side the further from due south you go. A beauty to behold.

winston10

Registered

and the bigger the dish on the motor the easier it is to catch those sats, but if you go big spend money on a dish thats light, ie aluminum

scrotejim

Donating Member
I'm a little rusty, it's been a few years since I messed with multi-sat, here are a few suggestions.

If you are happy with only the 3 "main" euro satellites,
Hotbird + the two Astras, this can be achieved with a multi LNB arrangment with a diseqc switch mounted at the dish end.

(say) 3x lnbs on a bracket, each aligned to a single sat with the selection/switching done by the switch at the dish end with a single cable downlink to the receiver.

most receivers can handle these switches.

If you want everything on your horizon, then the suggestions already posted are all good advice.

Sharpharp

Registered
Thanks for the replies.

When installing the motor, is there a specific position the motor/dish has to be pointing? or can you just point it at a satellite to start with?

How do you guys rate this pack?
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.u...omate-97cm-motorised-mesh-satellite-dish-pack

for a single coax line?
Anything extra i would need?
Is it worth upgrading to the 0.1db lnc?

Do you think i could install it myself and just use the existing wall bracket for the 80cm dish i have at the moment?

ArloG

Registered
Good questions.
Polar Mounts for tracking satellites are the norm for scanning the Clarke Belt.
Once you get your equipment everything will fall in place.
Yes. The motor will have to be mounted on a perfectly level pole or on a perfectly level wall.
Next will be a perfect aim on one angle at the north star (northern hemisphere). You will need to use compensated angles if you use a magnetic compass. That part will also fall in place for the most part.

If you're familiar with telescope mounts there are Az-El ones and german equatorial mounts. But we're working with fixed sats in the sky. A mount like the Stab ones will track the satellite arc with the movement of only one axis. One motor, angles setup correctly, and a bit of final tweaking here and there. Pretty much like an equatorial telescope mount tracking the sun from morning to evening with just one adjustment. Easy.

Get your equipment, do some reading. And we can help with the rest.