Latest World Cup News

sky star 2

Super VIP
Capello - No excuses
England boss warns players ahead of WC double-header

Fabio Capello has warned his England players there will be 'no excuses' of fatigue ahead of their World Cup qualifying double-header.

Capello's squad, the majority of which have endured a draining Premier League campaign, face Kazakhstan in Almaty on Saturday and then Andorra at Wembley next Wednesday.

The Italian appreciates a number of his charges are likely to be tired, but has demanded 100 per cent effort as they look to maintain their blemish-free record on the path to South Africa.

He said: "At the end of the season, the players are not fresh like when we started. But we have to play two very important games against Kazakhstan and Andorra.

"The problems of players, if they are tired or not, is no excuse. We have to play, we have to win and everyone who plays has to be very strong.

"There will be no excuses that we are tired or wanting a holiday. None of that."
Strong

Of his side's progress under his stewardship, Capello said: "First we have to get through to South Africa but I think we will be a very good team if we achieve that.

"We are very strong and we can play against all the best teams of the best countries in the world.

"I am very happy with these players, with this group and I have big confidence in the future."

Capello also stated that he understands Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger's concerns over Theo Walcott suffering from burnout, as he will join up with the Under 21s for the European Championships in Sweden after the two World Cup games.

Walcott

He said: "Theo is one of the players that played less games last season. He was injured for four months and now he has just started to be very fit.

"I followed him in the last games he played. Stuart Pearce (Under-21 coach) spoke with him and he was happy to play for the Under-21s and so after the seniors Theo will go with the Under 21s.

"I understand also all the managers at the start of the season like to have all the team together because pre-season is very important. For this reason, I understand Arsene (Wenger).

"But there are also the Confederation Cup, South American World Cup games and others going on during the summer."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Bulgaria v Republic preview
Republic set sights on top spot in Sofia

Republic of Ireland can move to the top of World Cup qualifying Group Eight by beating Bulgaria on Saturday.

Giovanni Trapattoni's men are currently two points behind leaders Italy having played the same amount of games.

The Azzurri are in friendly action this weekend and Republic will be looking to pick up three points to virtually guarantee a top-two finish.

Defeat to third-placed Bulgaria would leave them vulnerable but Trapattoni will take his squad to Sofia in confident mood.

Republic are unbeaten in their opening six Group Eight games and held Italy to a 1-1 draw at Stadio Olimpico in April.
McShane doubt

Shay Given, Robbie Keane, Richard Dunne and Caleb Folan all sat out training earlier this week but are expected to be fit for kick-off.

Paul McShane is an injury doubt after suffering an ankle problem, so Sean St Ledger could get the nod at right-back after impressing in last Friday's draw with Nigeria.

Manchester United's Darron Gibson is missing due to a groin problem sustained in the final Premier League game of the season against Hull City.

Bulgaria are also unbeaten in Group Eight but they have picked up just one win and four draws from their five games.

They are currently five points adrift of Republic but a victory would put them very much in contention for World Cup qualification.

Premier League quartet Dimitar Berbatov, Martin Petrov, Valeri Bojinov and Stiliyan Petrov are all in contention to feature.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Cole calls on Drogba advice
Striker welcomes words of wisdom from ex-colleagues

West Ham and England striker Carlton Cole has revealed he has sought the advice of former team-mates Didier Drogba and John Carew as he bids to improve his game.

The 25-year-old enjoyed an impressive 2008/09 and has forced his way into the plans of England manager Fabio Capello.

Cole could be involved in the forthcoming World Cup qualifying double-header against Kazakhstan and Andorra, respectively, after scoring 12 goals for his club last season.

But the ex-Chelsea and Aston Villa forward is keen to improve and has been picking the brains of Drogba and Carew.

"I talk to Didier a lot and he feels that I can progress even further than I have and I am happy that he thinks of me highly," said Cole.
Problems

"I talk to John Carew as he scores goals wherever he goes. Hopefully I can do that one day."

Cole has also been studying DVDs of Bolton's Kevin Davies and Inter Milan's Zlatan Ibrahimovic in a bid to build on his ability.

"I've been speaking to Drogba and watching Kevin Davies as he is one of the greatest in the Premier League at holding up the ball," he added on West Ham's official website.

"I also watch Ibrahimovic and other similar players to me, big powerful players who can cause defenders problems.

"This season I have worked on my game and I looked at DVDs and watched other players play, watching what they do and taking things from their play to put into mine and trying to implement it on the training pitch and do it on the pitch on a Saturday, so it has been a lot of hard work away from the field."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Kazakhstan v England preview
Capello's side look to edge further closer to South Africa

England aim to make it six wins from as many 2010 World Cup qualifiers when they tackle Kazakhstan in Group 6 on Saturday.

Fabio Capello has made a dream start to England's road to South Africa and his side currently hold a five-point lead over second-placed Croatia.

A potentially testing task awaits the Italian's men at the Central Stadium, in warm conditions in Almaty, as Kazakhstan eye an upset.

Capello will be seeking victory before his charges tackle bottom-of-the-group Andorra at Wembley next Wednesday.

England, who have risen to sixth in the Fifa World Rankings, are without regular first-choice goalkeeper David James, so Robert Green, who has two caps to his name, is expected to deputise.

Rio Ferdinand is also unavailable so Gary Cahill, Matthew Upson and Joleon Lescott will battle it out for a starting berth alongside captain John Terry.
Decisions

Gareth Barry is expected to resume training on Friday following reports of a bust-up with a team-mate on Thursday.

Kazakhstan have won just one of their four qualifiers to date and will be aware that success is paramount if they are to keep alive their faint hopes of reaching next summer's tournament.

However, in their last two qualifiers, the Kazakhs have conceded five goals against England and Belarus.

Head coach Bernd Stork, who is concerned about his players' fitness, has called the clash "the biggest match in Kazakhstan's [90-year] history".

Nervous

He added: The English players are tired but we are more tired. We could play in the fifth league in Germany with our fitness, so when teams play fast against us we have big problem.

"It's the old Russian system," Stork added. "I've got big trouble with three big clubs because they don't want to do what we want to do - regular testing, taking blood.

"They say 'with our clubs we have success, we win cups'. But international football is international standard. They don't understand they only stay and live in this country.

"I think they are a little bit nervous. It's a young country and this game offers big possibilities for people to come here and be happy - if England don't get a big result. Every time we shoot at goal on Saturday will be a big success for this country."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Capello pleased with balance
Three Lions boss delighted with response of players

England manager Fabio Capello thinks his side have found the correct balance as they prepare to face Kazakhstan in 2010 World Cup qualifying on Saturday.

The Italian was charged with the task of restoring the Three Lions' fortunes following the failure to qualify for Euro 2008 under former boss Steve McClaren.

Capello has proved a success and victories over Kazakhstan in Almaty and against Andorra at Wembley on Wednesday will virtually guarantee a place in the finals in South Africa.

He said: "You have to decide how to play depending on the style of players you have.

"I have seen a lot of games in the UEFA Champions League, Uefa Cup, Premier League and watched a lot of games in Spain, Italy and Germany.
High level

"I think the level of football in England is very high and the players are very good players.

"I think you can score if you have good players. Without good players, you can prepare everything but it is more difficult to score.

"For this reason, I think we can play against all the best teams in the world.

"The mentality of England is to go forward. I have maintained this mentality and improved this mentality - but with good organisation in midfield and also the defending.

"I think we have found a balance on the pitch. This is very important."

Ancelotti claims

Meanwhile, Capello has denied claims from new Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti that he was "surly" when in charge of AC Milan in the early 1990s.

He added: "I don't recognise myself in this description! (by Ancelotti). Sometimes I fight (disagree) with one player, not a lot, one. I usually speak with the players.

"I never went to dinner with the players, I never went to dinner with the journalists. I'd prefer to go with my wife or friends of mine.

"The rules of the club are I am a manager, the others are players. I respect the players and I ask respect. That is all it is. Not more than that.

"If you want to be a friend of the players, you can choose. It is a different style."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Terry - No pressure on England
England skipper pleased focus is on Spain

John Terry says all the hype surrounding Spain for next year's World Cup takes the pressure off England.

Fabio Capello's men can take a step closer to the tournament in South Africa should they beat Kazakhstan in Almaty on Saturday.

Victory over Andorra at Wembley on Wednesday would then see England maintain their 100 per cent record in Group 6, leaving them on the brink of qualification.

Spain will no doubt remain among the favourites to follow up their Euro 2008 success with World Cup glory.

Terry, though, feels England can benefit from staying out of the limelight and says he is glad the focus is on the European champions.
Benefit

"Build them (Spain) right up in the World Cup and put the pressure on them," said the England skipper.

"They've got great players. Look at what they did in the Euros and in the Champions League.

"We've said too many times that England have got a real chance, but we'll stay well away from that this summer."

Capello's attempt to stamp his mark on English football has meant a number of tactical changes which the players have welcomed.

"The manager has encouraged us, from day one, to play right from the back," said Terry.

"This manager hates it when we play long ball. He screams at the lads, 'no long ball, no long ball'.

"We've got the players to get the ball down and play. We're not on the level of Spain, but we're not too far behind."

Double

Terry admits he has high hopes for both England and Chelsea next year, with a World Cup and UEFA Champions league double firmly in his sights.

"It could be the greatest year of my career," he said. "I'm dreaming about it.

"Winning the Champions League is a massive thing for me. It has become an obsession.

"That is my target next season before going to the World Cup."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Cole hoping to rule the world
England ace believes Capello's men can conquer in 2010

Ashley Cole claims there will be no excuses if England fail to land World Cup glory in South Africa.

Fabio Capello's side are virtually guaranteed to be gracing football's showpiece event next year, having made impressive progress through qualifying.

Maximum points from their five games so far has led them to the top of Group 6, while victories over Kazakhstan and Andorra in their next two fixtures will leave them on the brink of confirming their progress.

With confidence restored to a squad which suffered the indignity of failing to reach Euro 2008, England will now be among the favourites to taste global glory in 2010.

Chelsea full-back Cole feels that tag would be justified and believes the Three Lions are capable of conquering the world.

"The ambition has to be to win," he said.

"Before so many World Cups and Championships you do interviews and you say, 'oh, we have a good chance'. But it's always the same - we lose in the quarter-final."
Luck

England have crashed out at the last-eight stage in each of their last three appearances at major championships, 2002 and 2006 World Cups and Euro 2004, but Cole is confident they can rectify that problem next summer.

"We'll go there with 100 per cent focus on winning. And if we don't win, then we've let everyone down," he added.

"We have the squad and the players to do it but you need a little bit of luck as well sometimes. And hopefully, if we get that on our side, we can make the whole country proud of us."

Speaking to Sky Sports' FIFA Futbol Mundial programme, Cole also praised Capello for the impact he has made on a rejuvenated England side.

"Mr Capello has come in and straight away has got the respect of everyone," he said.

"He has won a lot in his career and he is someone you don't want to mess with.

"He has changed a lot - the way we eat and the way we train - which is always going to benefit players."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Ireland battle for Bulgaria draw
Dunne header cancelled out by Telkiyski effort

Republic of Ireland maintained their unbeaten record in 2010 World Cup qualifying Group 8 after a 1-1 draw in Bulgaria.

Richard Dunne headed Ireland into a 24th minute lead, but Dimitar Telkiyski capitalised on slack defending to equalise just five minutes later.

Ireland coach Giovanni Trapattoni had called for a positive outcome from the game in Sofia and he will be satisfied with the result which was built on a solid showing from Dunne.

The Manchester City defender gave his country the lead when he was left unmarked to head home Stephen Hunt's free-kick from the left wing.

But Ireland were unable to hold on to the lead as Telkiyski drilled a low shot beyond Shay Given on 29 minutes after Kevin Kilbane and Sean St Ledger failed to deal with a long ball.

Dimitar Berbatov wasted a golden chance in the second half and Aiden McGeady flashed a late shot wide as Ireland moved to within a point of leaders Italy but, more importantly, stayed five points ahead of Bulgaria.

Ireland arrived at the Vasil Levski Stadium having yet to lose a competitive game under Trapattoni and knowing a positive result on the night would edge them ever closer to South Africa.

For 25 minutes, the 70-year-old Italian must have been thrilled with what he saw as his side not only held their own at a venue where they had never previously tasted victory, but took the game to their hosts.

Despite the inclusion of big names Berbatov, Martin Petrov and Valeri Bojinov, who all missed the 1-1 draw in Dublin through injury, it was the visitors who made the early running.
Caused panic

Hunt forced the game's first save with only six minutes gone when he met Damien Duff's cross with a downward header at the far post, and Bulgaria keeper Dimitar Ivankov was called upon again seconds later when Caleb Folan sent in a firm shot from the edge of the box.

Skipper Robbie Keane was unable to hit the target after spinning smartly to connect with Dunne's header down from an 11th-minute Duff corner and, as Folan caused panic in the heart of the Bulgaria defence, the signs were good for the Irish.

The Hull striker's physical presence made life intensely difficult for central defenders Igor Tomasic and Ilian Stoyanov, who at times resorted to less than legal methods in an attempt to stop him.

However, there was nothing they could do to prevent the visitors from taking the lead with 24 minutes gone after Hunt had been tripped by Stanislav Angelov wide on the left.

The winger dusted himself down before curling in a free-kick that Dunne met unopposed and gleefully headed into the net.

Martin Petrov might have levelled within a minute but lifted his shot from a tight angle over Given's crossbar, but the battle had been joined and Ireland were forced to weather a storm from then until the break.

The Bulgarians levelled within five minutes of Dunne's opener when Telkiyski capitalised on a misunderstanding between Kilbane and St Ledger to run on to Ilian Tomasic's long ball and beat the advancing Given comfortably.

And, with Angelov pulling the strings from central midfield and Berbatov prowling menacingly from deep, the alarm bells were ringing.

Dunne had to head a Bojinov shot away and then intercept Angelov's cross just before his Manchester City team-mate could pounce with Bulgaria now in full swing.

Given got his body firmly behind a long-range strike from Radostin Kishishev in injury-time and the whistle came as a welcome relief for Ireland and their fans.

It was no surprise when the Bulgarians resumed where they had left off and John O'Shea, playing at right-back to accommodate St Ledger in the middle, endured a challenging start to the second half as Martin Petrov got the bit between his teeth.

However, the Manchester United man twice within quick succession proved up to the task to dispossess the City man before he could do any real damage.

Pressure mounting

The pressure was mounting all the time and it took some heroic defending from Dunne in particular to keep the home side at bay.

But the Republic had a let-off with 57 minutes gone when Angelov picked out Berbatov in space at the far post with 57 minutes gone, only for the striker to miscontrol and allow Given to step in.

Ireland were marooned inside their own half but they were defending manfully in the face of a concerted assault.

However, Bulgaria were struggling to create clear-cut chances and were becoming increasingly desperate, and Stoyanov blasted just over from 25 yards with 20 minutes remaining.

The Irish wall did its job to keep out substitute Blagoy Georgiev's 77th-minute free-kick in a tense finish, with Bulgaria dominating possession but meeting stern resistance all the way to the whistle.

Indeed, substitute McGeady almost snatched victory at the death with a right-foot shot that whistled inches wide.

sky star 2

Super VIP
England keep up 100% start
Capello's men on course for South Africa after comfortable win

England kept their march towards the 2010 World Cup on track with a comfortable 4-0 victory over Kazakhstan on Saturday.

Goals from Gareth Barry, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney and Frank Lampard saw the Three Lions take maximum points from a tricky away contest and secure a sixth consecutive victory in qualification Group 6.

A draining trip to Eastern Europe inevitably had the England players struggling with jet-lag as they took to the field, and they appeared to still be half asleep as they narrowly avoided an early scare inside the opening 60 seconds.

A bundled cross from the left, after Glen Johnson had been beaten far too easily, had John Terry and co worried for a moment, but Sergey Ostapenko failed to get a telling touch from six yards and the Three Lions skipper was able to hack clear.

The uneven surface was doing Fabio Capello's side no favours, with Theo Walcott and Lampard looking anything but Premier League superstars as they squandered crossing and shooting opportunities respectively.

West Ham centre-half Matthew Upson, the man charged with filling Rio Ferdinand's boots, glanced a header narrowly wide after 10 minutes, before Barry picked up a caution for a sloppy challenge and ruled himself out of Wednesday's clash with Andorra.

Then, on 17 minutes, Kazakhstan thought they had forced a breakthrough when Ostapenko snuck in at the back post and nodded home a pinpoint delivery from the impressive Zhambyi Kukeyev.

However, as he celebrated in front of his delirious public, the assistant's flag was raised and the effort was chalked off - much to the relief of Robert Green, who had been found wanting on his first real test.
Surface

England slowly began to establish more of a foothold on the game, and started to get to grips with the playing surface, as the half-hour mark approached and Heskey saw a low drive tipped onto the post by Alexandr Mokin.

Terry then saw a towering header, from a Lampard corner, easily kept out before Barry opened the scoring five minutes before the interval.

Steven Gerrard collected a short corner on the left and his floated cross to the back post found the Manchester City new-boy unmarked and left with the simple task of nodding back across goal and into the bottom corner.

As the first half came to a close, Capello's team talk then became decidedly easier as a Gerrard lob could only be palmed away by a back-peddling Mokin and Heskey was on hand to poke home the rebound.

England barely deserved such a commanding lead, but they had improved markedly after a shaky start.

That progress continued after the break, with the visitors looking livelier upon the resumption of action.

A few promising free-kick situations were wasted, much to Capello's annoyance after seeing the Kazakhs struggle to deal with set-pieces at Wembley in October, but the overall tempo had England looking more like a side ranked inside Fifa's top 10.

Tired

The hosts, who had seen their fitness levels called into question by their own coach prior to the game, began to tire as the game wore on, with a wild 35-yard effort from Sergey Skorykh epitomising the air of desperation which had begun to infiltrate Bernd Storck's side.

While comfortable, England were still far from their fluent best and they initially failed to put their wilting opponents to the sword in the unforgiving fashion expected by those who had made the arduous journey to witness the occasion from the rickety stands of the Ortalyk Tsentralnyi Stadium.

Set-pieces continued to be squandered, while Kukeyev almost showed how it should be done at the opposite end as he lifted a swinging free-kick inches over the top.

Rooney, quiet by his standards for much of the night, attempted to get his name on the scoresheet with a delicate lob on 71 minutes, but saw that effort fail to trouble the Kazakh keeper.

The Manchester United man was not to be denied, though, and three minutes later he found the target with a spectacular scissor-kick after Moki had superbly beaten away his first effort.

The biggest cheer of the night was reserved for the arrival of David Beckham with 15 minutes remaining, with the former captain entering proceedings to earn his 111th cap.

The scoreline then started to take on the lop-sided appearance expected prior to kick-off when Lampard hammered home from the penalty spot on 78 minutes, after Heskey had been hauled to the ground by Renat Abdulin.

The final 10 minutes failed to produce many moments to catch the eye, bar a speculative effort from Kukeyev which flashed wide, but England had already done more than enough by then and their jubilant supporters headed off on the long journey home in buoyant mood.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Beckham - Experience the key
Midfielder praises ability to overcome difficult start to games

David Beckham felt England's experience and professionalism were key factors in the 4-0 win over Kazakhstan.

England took a further stride towards booking a place in the 2010 World Cup finals with an ultimately convincing victory in the former Soviet republic.

The result maintained the 100 per cent start to the qualifying campaign, but England toiled during the opening stages of the game.

Gareth Barry finally made the breakthrough five minutes before half-time, with Emile Heskey quickly adding a second goal before Wayne Rooney and Frank Lampard netted in the second half.

Former captain Beckham, who came on as a substitute, praised the ability to overcome a sticky start to a match before going on to claim three points.
Difficult

"I think that is what we have done in the campaign so far," Beckham told Sky Sports News when talking about the ability to recover from slow starts.

"We have come up against teams that have made it hard for us in the first 20-25 minutes, and then our experience, professionalism and quality has showed in the end.

"We knew it was going to be like that tonight, the first 20-25 minutes were difficult, but once we got the goal we were good.

"I think we have done that so far and that is down to the management and the work of the players.

"It's good to see, it's good to see that when we go a goal down or are going through a tough 20 minutes we come out of it with a win."

The experienced midfielder added: "It was an important game tonight for us because we always knew it was going to be difficult, so it was a good win."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Gerrard eyes one more win
Midfielder says win over Andorra would see England through

Steven Gerrard believes a win against Andorra on Wednesday would all but see England qualify for the World Cup in South Africa next summer.

The Liverpool midfielder was instrumental in the first two goals against Kazakhstan on Saturday as Fabio Capello's men ran out comfortable 4-0 winners to make it six wins out of six in Group 6.

Despite taking time to adapt to their surroundings on what was an extremely bobbly pitch, the Three Lions took command when Gerrard crossed for Gareth Barry to nod home before playing a part in the second for Emile Heskey.

Further goals from Wayne Rooney and Frank Lampard mean England need six points from their final four games to seal a place in South Africa, but Gerrard feels qualification can be ensured as soon as Wednesday.

"I think if we win against Andorra we are in the box seat to qualify," he said in the Daily Mirror. "I think we are one win away from virtually sealing it.
Carried away

"But it is important for us not to get carried away, be professional and get the job done and then we can go into the more difficult games with greater confidence."

Despite erring on the side of caution, the 29-year-old believes the pain of not qualifying for the European Championship last year will ensure they do not slip up this time round.

"What we are all conscious about is qualifying for the World Cup," he added.

"Missing out on the European Championship was a massive blow and it took the players a long time to get over it.

"What we need to do is pay the fans back and qualify for the World Cup."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Lampard remains focused
Midfielder not celebrating World Cup qualification just yet

Frank Lampard insists celebrations will be put on ice until World Cup qualification is secured, despite England all but sealing their passage in Kazakhstan.

The Chelsea midfielder scored England's fourth and final goal from the spot in Saturday's win in Almaty after Emile Heskey had been pulled back inside the 18-yard area.

Fabio Capello's side began the game shakily and could have been behind as early as the first minute as the players took time to adapt to the uneven surface.

But goals from Gareth Barry, Heskey and Wayne Rooney, before Lampard completed the scoring, means that England are just two wins from securing a place in South Africa next summer, not that Lampard is getting carried away.

"With the pitch we just had to make the best of it, after the start of the game I think we did," he told Sky Sports News.

"We need to keep going. We are just a couple of wins away from where we want to be so we can celebrate once we qualify."

sky star 2

Super VIP
South American WCQ round-up
Wins for Argentina, Chile and Venezuela in latest qualifying round

Argentina got their World Cup qualifying campaign back on track as they beat Colombia 1-0 in Buenos Aires.

Diego Maradona's men knew that maximum points were a must after their 6-1 hammering in Bolivia in their last qualifying clash.

Lionel Messi struck the cross bar before Argentine nerves were settled when defender Daniel Diaz volleyed home from a corner.

Elsewhere Chile went to within a point of Paraguay in second after recording an impressive 2-0 win in Asuncion, with goals from Matias Fernandez and Humberto Suazo.

Paraguay have now not won in three qualifying matches meaning that just two points separate the top four teams.

Venezuela still hold an outside chance of qualifying for South Africa next summer following their 1-0 win away at second-bottom Bolivia.

A Ronald Rivero own-goal just after the half-hour mark was enough to hand the Venezuelans victory in the difficult surroundings of La Paz to put them six points behind Argentina.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Rio to miss Andorra game
Ferdinand still struggling with calf problem

Rio Ferdinand has been ruled out of England's World Cup qualifier against Andorra on Wednesday.

The Manchester United defender has been troubled by a calf problem for the past few weeks and did not travel to Kazakhstan for Saturday's match.

Fabio Capello had hoped Ferdinand would be able to link up with his England colleagues upon their return home on Sunday.

However, the Football Association has now confirmed the 30-year-old will again miss out, giving him more time to recover for the new campaign.
Injury problems

Matthew Upson partnered captain John Terry in the heart of the England defence as they cruised to a 4-0 victory in Almaty.

Gary Cahill was initially called up as cover for Ferdinand but Capello has not decided to select a replacement following the latest setback.

It leaves him with just 21 available players as Gareth Barry is suspended for the clash with Andorra at Wembley.

Ferdinand has endured an injury-plagued few months, with a back complaint also hindering his progress.

He was able to take part in the UEFA Champions League final defeat to Barcelona even though his preparations were disrupted by the calf problem.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Concacaf WCQ round-up
Mexico suffer another defeat, while USA and Costa Rica win

Mexico slumped to another defeat on the road in the Concacaf zone of qualifying as they lost away to El Salvador.

Elsewhere, Costa Rica ensured they remain in top spot after overcoming Trinidad and Tobago, while USA fought back against Honduras.

Mexico slipped to their fourth successive away defeat in World Cup qualifiers with a 2-1 reverse in El Salvador to drop to fifth in the six-team group and ruin coach Javier Aguirre's second debut with the side.

Former Atletico Madrid coach Aguirre, brought back after Sven-Goran Eriksson was sacked in April, had promised a more positive attitude but instead saw his team fall behind to Julio Martinez's 11th goal at San Salvador's Cuscatlan stadium.

Mexico equalised in the 71st minute with a penalty converted by playmaker Cuauhtemoc Blanco, who was recalled by Aguirre despite announcing his international retirement under Eriksson last year.

But Oscar Rojas was adjudged to have handled with four minutes left and Eliseo Quintanilla stepped up to score and take El Salvador to third place with five points.

USA edged to a nervy 2-1 victory over Honduras after the visitors had made a dream start in Chicago when Carlos Costly scored with a long-range effort in the fifth minute.

Landon Donovan equalised with a penalty two minutes before half-time after Mario Beata handled and a brave, diving header by captain Carlos Bocanegra in the 69th minute gave the relieved hosts the points.

Celso Borges scored two second-half goals to give Costa Rica a 3-2 victory over Trinidad and Tobago.

Carlos Edwards gave the hosts the lead in the 29th minute but Alvaro Saborio's strike in the 40th minute pulled Costa Rica level at half-time.

Borges, who plays for Norway's Fredrikstad, struck in the 52nd minute but Collin Samuels answered 10 minutes later for Trinidad and Tobago.

Borges shut down notions of an upset with his second goal in the 68th minute.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Rooney - My time has come
United ace ready to put past disappointments behind him in 2010

Wayne Rooney is desperate to make a big impact at the World Cup in South Africa next summer to banish his personal heartache in major tournaments.

The 23-year-old took Euro 2004 by storm when he burst onto the international scene, scoring four goals in his first three games, but a metatarsal injury put paid to the rest of his tournament at the quarter-final stage against Portugal as England were knocked out.

The striker fared little better at the 2006 World Cup in Germany when he was sent-off against the same opposition for stamping on Ricardo Carvalho in the last eight as England went on to lose on penalties.

Euro 2008 was a non-starter as the Three Lions failed to even qualify for the tournament but after their 4-0 win over Kazakhstan on Saturday Rooney knows that two more wins would see him get another shot at glory in 2010.

"You love to play in a big tournament and the two I have played in so far have ended in a big disappointment for me and the team," he told The Sun.
Win something

"Hopefully we can qualify and win something with this team but, for the moment, I'm delighted to score. Four goals makes it a good result in the end."

The Manchester United front man's acrobatic effort at the weekend was his eighth England goal of the season but Rooney highlights that the team shares the goals around.

"Having four different scorers is good for the team," he added.

"Steven Gerrard scored 20-odd goals this season, there's Frank Lampard, Emile has now scored two in his last two games.

"There are lots of players who can score goals for us."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Becks defends Walcott outing
Former skipper happy with Gunners starlet

David Beckham has defended Theo Walcott's display in England's 4-0 World Cup qualifying win over Kazakhstan on Saturday.

The Arsenal flyer was hauled off at half-time by Fabio Capello in favour of Manchester City wide-man Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Although the 20-year-old's form has been criticised by some, Beckham believes he has always looked dangerous while playing for England.

"I think Theo Walcott has performed well every time he has put on an England shirt. He is always a threat," explained Beckham.
Threat

"A player with that pace and the way he runs at players and goes past players, he is always a threat.

"He is a talented player and, even against Kazakhstan, you gave him the ball, you put the ball in front of him, and he causes any defence problems.

"I have not seen too many of his Arsenal games. I don't care what anyone says about his form. Theo is going to be a threat to any defender in the world.

"Whether he is in form or not, he is going to be a threat to any player. He is a great person, and a great player, and he is fine."

Grounded

Meanwhile, Beckham is not getting carried away with the prospect of being given a rare start against Andorra on Wednesday.

The vastly-experienced midfielder is one of the frontrunners to be given the nod against the minnows with Gareth Barry suspended.

"I am not even thinking about that," he continued.

"Whether I am playing or others play, we have a very talented group of players.

"Whoever steps in for Gareth, is going to be great."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Lamps eyes coaching role
Chelsea and England midfielder to take coaching badges

Chelsea and England midfielder Frank Lampard is seriously considering entering football management when he hangs up his boots.

The 30-year-old had originally thought he would quit the game once his playing career was over.

But, after working with the likes of Jose Mourinho, Fabio Capello and Guus Hiddink, he has now developed a taste for the management side of the game.

He said: "I will take my coaching badges at some stage to be in a position where it (management) is a big possibility for me.

"I would love to work with players when I eventually stop playing.

"It is true that a few years ago I didn't feel like going into the management side of things once I stopped playing. I was thinking more along the lines of getting away from football.
Bit older

"But now I am a bit older. I look at younger players and I've worked with so many good managers, and it gives you the taste to maybe get involved."

While England will be on the verge of qualifying for next summer's World Cup finals if they beat Andorra at Wembley on Wednesday, Lampard is taking nothing for granted.

The midfielder added: "We still have fresh in our minds the way we didn't qualify for the Euros so we will never get ahead of ourselves until we have officially qualified.

"The Kazakhstan game last Saturday and the one coming up on Wednesday are big stepping stones. We know we aren't definitely over the finishing line even if we should get another win.

"But another three points can get us very near to qualification and put us in a really good position."

Team ethic

Lampard also believes the 'team ethic' installed by England boss Capello has helped to cool the debate over the way himself and Steven Gerrard perform compared with their displays for Chelsea and Liverpool respectively.

He said: "I don't think there will ever be a complete line drawn under that (the Gerrard-Lampard situation). It is just par for the course. I am pretty used to that.

"It is a bit more calm these days but, if we do lose a game along the line, I am sure someone will bring that up. I don't think it matters too much to us.

"There is a real team ethic about us and we try and take the edge off always talking about individuals and how people play for their clubs compared with their country.

"That is not so much the issue for us as a group. The issue is about coming together, playing together and winning games."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Capello in dreamland
Italian never envisaged such a good start to England career

Fabio Capello has admitted that he never imagined that his tenure as England manager would begin so well.

The Italian has led his side to six consecutive wins in their World Cup qualifying group, leaving them unbeaten and top of the table.

The Three Lions are now just two wins away from booking their place in South Africa next summer after their 4-0 win in Kazakhstan on Saturday.

However Capello is demanding more from his players. As soon as the final whistle blew in Almaty on Saturday the 62-year-old was already plotting the downfall of Andorra on Wednesday and challenging his players to make it seven straight wins.

"Yes, yes, yes," he said when asked if the job had gone better than expected.

"I just didn't believe that we would win our first six matches. I thought that would be impossible.

"Six matches, six wins. Surely this was impossible? Now it must be seven and there can be no looking back.

"It has gone better than I thought. We have also played many games away from home and I am happy."
Transformation

Capello has come in and transformed the mentality of what was an underperforming team with his methods based around respect.

However, despite the success in qualifying the England boss knows that his biggest test will come in South Africa next summer, but for now he is pleased he has managed to raise the team's confidence.

"Confidence is the most important thing. Players must believe they can achieve anything," he added.

"We know now we can score at any moment from all the players and this is so important.

"Goals improve the confidence and mentality of the side. At this moment the confidence is high. My job was always to build the system, the confidence and belief of these players.

"But we have not finished yet. We are only in the middle of what I want to achieve. No-one is saying that this is it.

"I am only half-way to where I want to be. Every day we have to work and work. Every day we have to improve. And we will improve and get better."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Tenorio header sinks Peru
Ecuador up to sixth after away success

Ecuador maintained their hopes of qualifying for the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa with a 2-1 victory at struggling Peru.

Carlos Tenorio's 60th minute header settled the contest after Juan Vargas' expert free-kick cancelled out Jefferson Montero's first half opener.

The win lifts Ecuador into sixth in the South American World Cup standings while Peru remain rooted to the foot of the table with just one win to their name.

Ecuador opened the scoring eight minutes before half time when teenager Montero rolled the ball home into the empty net after good work by Tenorio.

Peru briefly restored parity shortly into the second half when Vargas curled home a left-footed free-kick that left keeper Marcelo Elizaga clutching at air.

However, Ecuador had the last laugh with Tenorio adjusting his body superbly to nod home Cristian Noboa's cross shortly after to secure the points.