Latest Transfer News

sky star 2

Super VIP
Official: Aston Villa Sign Goalkeeper Andy Marshall On One-Year Deal

Aston Villa have added some reinforcement to their goalkeeping ranks today, and signed 34-year-old veteran Andy Marshall on a one-year deal.

Marshall has spent the past three seasons with Coventry City, before leaving the Sky Blues at the end of last season.

He began his career with Norwich City, and went on to enjoy spells with Ipswich Town and Millwall as well as Coventry. He has four England Under-21 caps to his name.

The veteran is unlikely to be a first-choice at Villa Park, but provides experienced cover for Americans Bradley Guzan and Brad Friedel.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Wigan Athletic Midfielder Lee Cattermole Completes Medical At Sunderland - Report
The England Under-21 man is apparently nearing the completion of a move to Wearside...

Lee Cattermole has completed a medical as his potential move from Wigan Athletic to Sunderland seems to have edged much closer today.

Sky Sports News is reporting that the player, who featured prominently for England Under-21s in their run to the final of the European Championships in Germany this summer, has agreed a four-year deal with the Black Cats, who are expected to pay the Latics £6 million to secure his services.

That fee could subsequently rise based upon performances, according to Sky, with add-ons in place should Cattermole, for example, break into the full England team.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Celtic Midfielder Donati Admits Bari Interest, But Is Focused On Arsenal Matches
The former Atalanta star is torn between returning to Serie A or staying with the Hoops...

Celtic midfielder Massimo Donati has responded to press stories linking him with promoted Serie A side Bari, claiming they are indeed interested, but insists at the moment he is only concentrated on the upcoming matches with Arsenal for Champions League qualification.

"I can confirm there is interest, but I want to see what Celtic does," he explained to TuttoBari.com on Wednesday.

"A new coach has arrived and that counts a lot for me. Now I am only thinking about the Champions League preliminaries with Arsenal, then we'll see. The Gunners have a difficult opponent."

Donati fell out of favour with former Celtic boss Gordon Strachan, but the appointment of ex-West Brom tactician Tony Mowbray has given him hope of a regular place in the line-up once more.

"On one hand I want to return to Italy, but on the other, I am happy to play in Glasgow if I am rated by the manager. To return to being a protagonist here is important for me," he concluded.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Wigan Athletic Close In On Rayo Vallecano's Amaya & Diame
Wigan are on the verge of signing Rayo Vallecano duo...

Wigan Athletic are closing in on the signings of Rayo Vallecano duo Mohamed Diame and Antonio Amaya.

The Latics have been in talks with the Spanish club and it appears that a fee for the pair has been agreed and is believed to be in the region of €3.8 million.

The signing of midfielder Diame looks an inspired bit of business by Wigan boss Roberto Martinez as the Frenchman has reportedly been tracked by the likes of Arsenal and Real Madrid in recent times.

With the expected arrival of Diame, the future of Lee Cattermole will undoubtedly be called into question, with Wigan's Premier League rivals Sunderland heavily linked with a move for the England U-21 star.

Antonio Amaya, meanwhile, will provide defensive cover for the Latics and Martinez has predicted that the twosome will prove fantastic signings for the future.

"We are quite close to agreeing everything, and the main thing now is thrashing out the personal terms," the 36-year-old told The Wigan Evening Post.

"Hopefully that will be done quite soon and they will be excellent signings for the future.

"I've followed their progress and development for a long time, and they will bring something different to our squad.

"I'm happy with the way the squad is developing; there's a tremendous work ethic and a fantastic spirit in the camp.

"I'm very excited about the challenge ahead and the players are very focused and ready for that challenge.

"I've got huge confidence in the quality of the squad, we have a good core of players and we are getting stronger every day."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Wigan Athletic Close In On Rayo Vallecano's Amaya & Diame
Wigan are on the verge of signing Rayo Vallecano duo...

Wigan Athletic are closing in on the signings of Rayo Vallecano duo Mohamed Diame and Antonio Amaya.

The Latics have been in talks with the Spanish club and it appears that a fee for the pair has been agreed and is believed to be in the region of €3.8 million.

The signing of midfielder Diame looks an inspired bit of business by Wigan boss Roberto Martinez as the Frenchman has reportedly been tracked by the likes of Arsenal and Real Madrid in recent times.

With the expected arrival of Diame, the future of Lee Cattermole will undoubtedly be called into question, with Wigan's Premier League rivals Sunderland heavily linked with a move for the England U-21 star.

Antonio Amaya, meanwhile, will provide defensive cover for the Latics and Martinez has predicted that the twosome will prove fantastic signings for the future.

"We are quite close to agreeing everything, and the main thing now is thrashing out the personal terms," the 36-year-old told The Wigan Evening Post.

"Hopefully that will be done quite soon and they will be excellent signings for the future.

"I've followed their progress and development for a long time, and they will bring something different to our squad.

"I'm happy with the way the squad is developing; there's a tremendous work ethic and a fantastic spirit in the camp.

"I'm very excited about the challenge ahead and the players are very focused and ready for that challenge.

"I've got huge confidence in the quality of the squad, we have a good core of players and we are getting stronger every day."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Fiorentina Defender Manuel Pasqual Not Moving To Napoli - Agent
The Partenopei are no longer an option for the 27-year-old...

Last summer, Fiorentina left-back Manuel Pasqual seemed surplus to requirements in Florence, but after a positive ending to the 2008-09 campaign he was offered a new contract.

Napoli have been looking to reinforce their squad on the left wing and been linked with the former Treviso player, but the player's agent has ruled out the latest rumour of a swap with centre-back Fabiano Santacroce.

"These stories are pure science fiction. The player has just renewed with Fiorentina and is preparing for the challenge of the Champions League," he explained to tuttonapoli.net.

"There is no means for his passage to Naples. There was a time when it was possible, but transfers must be made at the right moment and this is not. Pasqual is a player of Fiorentina."

There are crucial matches for the Viola in the coming days, as they have their Champions League qualifying play-off matches against Sporting Lisbon on August 18 and 26.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Fiorentina Defender Manuel Pasqual Not Moving To Napoli - Agent
The Partenopei are no longer an option for the 27-year-old...

Last summer, Fiorentina left-back Manuel Pasqual seemed surplus to requirements in Florence, but after a positive ending to the 2008-09 campaign he was offered a new contract.

Napoli have been looking to reinforce their squad on the left wing and been linked with the former Treviso player, but the player's agent has ruled out the latest rumour of a swap with centre-back Fabiano Santacroce.

"These stories are pure science fiction. The player has just renewed with Fiorentina and is preparing for the challenge of the Champions League," he explained to tuttonapoli.net.

"There is no means for his passage to Naples. There was a time when it was possible, but transfers must be made at the right moment and this is not. Pasqual is a player of Fiorentina."

There are crucial matches for the Viola in the coming days, as they have their Champions League qualifying play-off matches against Sporting Lisbon on August 18 and 26.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Sporting Target CSKA Moscow Winger Daniel Carvalho
The Lions are keeping tabs on the Brazilian midfielder...

Sporting are believed to be in the transfer market in order to bolster their options after signing just one player - Matias Fernandez from Villarreal - for their midfield this summer.

The Portuguese giants have been credited with an interest in Daniel Carvalho, who has been with CSKA Moscow since 2003.

The Brazil international's father and representative, Albinho de Carvalho, has now declared that he was contacted by Sporting last week.

"A Portuguese entrepreneur, I will not say the name, called me on Friday and asked me if we were interested," he told Diario de Noticias.

"We said, ‘Yes, we would be interested if there was to be a convincing offer from Sporting.’ We have not talked anymore since then. We are waiting for a new contact.

"Daniel has a contract with CSKA until the end of the year, so Sporting will have to reach an agreement with CSKA before talking to us.

"But I do not deny that Sporting would be interesting challenge, just like FC Porto or Benfica."

Carvalho, who spent six months on loan at Internacional last year, helped CSKA win the UEFA Cup in 2005, defeating Sporting in the final.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Only Inter, Juventus & AC Milan Can Afford Villarreal Star Giuseppe Rossi - Agent
The Confederations Cup star will only be leaving for one of Italy's elite.....

Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi was linked with a number of moves over the summer, but with the new campaign set to begin it appears he will remain with the Yellow Submarine for at least one more season.

The player's agent, Andrea Pastorello, confirmed the previous interest of Juventus, but also stated that the 22-year-old is likely to stay put.

"I think it's very unlikely that Rossi will move from Villarreal," he told tuttomercatoweb.

"With Milan there have never been any negotiations, while Juventus tried to get the lay of the land when [sporting director Alessio] Secco came to Spain, but it ended with nothing."

Rossi has indicated in the past he would like to return to his homeland and the agent discussed the future of the Italian international, but warned that the former Manchester United player commands a hefty price-tag.

"The player wants to return to Italy, even if he is well in Spain. The cost of his transfer, however, is fairly high and he could only move to Inter, Juve and Milan in Italy or Real and Barcelona in Spain," suggested his representative.

"We are prepared to only deal with teams of a higher level like these."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Only Inter, Juventus & AC Milan Can Afford Villarreal Star Giuseppe Rossi - Agent
The Confederations Cup star will only be leaving for one of Italy's elite.....

Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi was linked with a number of moves over the summer, but with the new campaign set to begin it appears he will remain with the Yellow Submarine for at least one more season.

The player's agent, Andrea Pastorello, confirmed the previous interest of Juventus, but also stated that the 22-year-old is likely to stay put.

"I think it's very unlikely that Rossi will move from Villarreal," he told tuttomercatoweb.

"With Milan there have never been any negotiations, while Juventus tried to get the lay of the land when [sporting director Alessio] Secco came to Spain, but it ended with nothing."

Rossi has indicated in the past he would like to return to his homeland and the agent discussed the future of the Italian international, but warned that the former Manchester United player commands a hefty price-tag.

"The player wants to return to Italy, even if he is well in Spain. The cost of his transfer, however, is fairly high and he could only move to Inter, Juve and Milan in Italy or Real and Barcelona in Spain," suggested his representative.

"We are prepared to only deal with teams of a higher level like these."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Bordeaux President Rules Out Yoann Gourcuff Move To Inter
The Nerazzurri are willing to spend a hefty amount on the French international, but the Girondins Bordeaux patron is standing firm...

It is no secret that Inter coach Jose Mourinho is searching for a playmaker ahead of the start of the Serie A season and a number of options have been proposed in the press.

One of them has been Bordeaux star Yoann Gourcuff, but the president of the French club, Jean Luis Triaud, has dismissed the possibility that the youngster will return to Italy.

"The lad will not move," was his brief statement quoted by fcinternews.it.

Gourcuff was one of the revelations of last season on-loan at the Ligue 1 outfit, a major player in their championship victory and was bought from Inter's city-rivals, AC Milan, for €15 million after his initial success.

The Nerazzurri are reportedly ready to spend over €20 million to convince the French champions to release the 23-year-old, but it seems as if Bordeaux will hold onto their star man, who scored two goals this past weekend against Lens.

The media seem to believe it is more likely that Inter will snap up Real Madrid midfielder Wesley Sneijder, even if they have not yet given up on the Frenchman.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Bordeaux President Rules Out Yoann Gourcuff Move To Inter
The Nerazzurri are willing to spend a hefty amount on the French international, but the Girondins Bordeaux patron is standing firm...

It is no secret that Inter coach Jose Mourinho is searching for a playmaker ahead of the start of the Serie A season and a number of options have been proposed in the press.

One of them has been Bordeaux star Yoann Gourcuff, but the president of the French club, Jean Luis Triaud, has dismissed the possibility that the youngster will return to Italy.

"The lad will not move," was his brief statement quoted by fcinternews.it.

Gourcuff was one of the revelations of last season on-loan at the Ligue 1 outfit, a major player in their championship victory and was bought from Inter's city-rivals, AC Milan, for €15 million after his initial success.

The Nerazzurri are reportedly ready to spend over €20 million to convince the French champions to release the 23-year-old, but it seems as if Bordeaux will hold onto their star man, who scored two goals this past weekend against Lens.

The media seem to believe it is more likely that Inter will snap up Real Madrid midfielder Wesley Sneijder, even if they have not yet given up on the Frenchman.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Real Madrid Striker Alvaro Negredo Nears Hull City Move - Report

Hull City are close to sealing a switch for Real Madrid forward Alvaro Negredo, according to the player's agent Alejandro Camano.

With the likes of Karim Benzema, Raul and Gonzalo Higuain all ahead of him in the pecking order at the Bernabeu, the 23-year-old Negredo is reportedly keen on a switch to the Premier League.

Despite having completed the loan signing of American international striker Jozy Altidore, it would appear that Hull are desperate to improve their attacking options ahead of the new Premier League season.

Tottenham, Sevilla and Villarreal have all been linked with a move for Negredo although the Tigers appear to be the front runners in the race for his signature.

The Spaniard scored 19 goals for Almeria in La Liga last term and his agent has admitted that a move to the KC Stadium remains a distinct possibility.

"It's 100 per cent possible [a move to Hull City]," Camano told The Hull Daily Mail.

"I have had calls with the chairman [Paul Duffen]. He [Negredo] likes the team and it's possible he will play in the Premier League.

"The chairman is a good man but the deal is not totally 100 per cent yet."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Real Madrid Striker Alvaro Negredo Nears Hull City Move - Report

Hull City are close to sealing a switch for Real Madrid forward Alvaro Negredo, according to the player's agent Alejandro Camano.

With the likes of Karim Benzema, Raul and Gonzalo Higuain all ahead of him in the pecking order at the Bernabeu, the 23-year-old Negredo is reportedly keen on a switch to the Premier League.

Despite having completed the loan signing of American international striker Jozy Altidore, it would appear that Hull are desperate to improve their attacking options ahead of the new Premier League season.

Tottenham, Sevilla and Villarreal have all been linked with a move for Negredo although the Tigers appear to be the front runners in the race for his signature.

The Spaniard scored 19 goals for Almeria in La Liga last term and his agent has admitted that a move to the KC Stadium remains a distinct possibility.

"It's 100 per cent possible [a move to Hull City]," Camano told The Hull Daily Mail.

"I have had calls with the chairman [Paul Duffen]. He [Negredo] likes the team and it's possible he will play in the Premier League.

"The chairman is a good man but the deal is not totally 100 per cent yet."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Exclusive: UK Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe On Wages, World Cup Bids & A Great Britain Team
The Sports Minister was pleased to share his thoughts with Goal.com about a number of issues surrounding the English game...

Gerry Sutcliffe MP, the United Kingdom government's Sports Minister, was at Derby County's Pride Park Stadium on Wednesday giving government backing to the 'Every Player Counts' initiative.

This scheme has been launched in partnership between the The Football League Trust and the The New Football Pools, and aims to increase disability football provision across England and Wales on an unprecedented scale, with The New Football Pools donating £2.59 million to a three-year, pan-disability scheme that will develop opportunities at 36 Football League clubs.

At the event, Mr. Sutcliffe was also pleased to share some of his thoughts about the current state of the game in England with Goal.com's Zack Wilson.

With the event focusing on grassroots and community football, Mr. Sutcliffe was asked as to whether he felt the huge spending power of a club such as Manchester City could actually be good for the game, widening as it does the gap between the Premier League and the lower reaches of the football pyramid.

"That's one of the reasons why we wrote to the Premier League and the FA in autumn last year to raise a number of issues of concern about governance of football and homegrown players," he revealed. “There's quite a wide ranging agenda, and we've now received all their responses and I'm due to give my response to their response in the next couple of weeks.

"It's not the government's job to run football. What we see ourselves as are critical friends basically. These are the issues that are raised with us by fans. We do have a part to play in that we invest £25 million into grassroots football through All Sport plans with the FA, through the education system and we liaise with clubs about Premier players going into academies. So there is a legitimate role for government to play.

"I've said previously that I think if football is to be sustainable it needs to keep in touch with its grassroots and to keep in touch with supporters. I think issues around wages and around ticket prices are key elements that they've got to look at.

"At the end of the day it's not for me to set caps, although I do understand that discussions are taking place around Europe and indeed in the UK. It's for the FA and the Football League to sort that out - it shouldn't be up to the government to demand that they do."

With that in mind, the minister was asked whether he felt that the proposed FIFA '6+5' ruling, limiting the amount of non-homegrown players in a side, was a positive move.

"The 6+5 is an issue that FIFA are putting forward. There are concerns around its legality in terms of European competition law. As European sports ministers, we are looking at what we can do to help and support the UEFA proposal as well," he explained.

Mr Sutcliffe highlighted the fact that the government see international success for the England team as its priority, and he would like to see more young Englishman given the chance to play more regularly for their club sides.

"The England national team is important," he asserted.

"A good example of that for me was that, whilst the England Under-19s and Under-21s did very well to reach their [European Championship] finals, in the U-21 final, most of the German team played regular first team football, and unfortunately the English team didn't.

"Regular first team football is important if you want players to develop. These are all issues that I will be responding to when I make a speech in Europe in early September."

With a bid to host the 2018 World Cup in England in its incipient stages, the national team is likely to be high on the agenda in the coming years, and Mr. Sutcliffe was of the view that the bid to host the tournament could only be good for football in this country, as well as elsewhere.

"What we've tried to do, we can see the inspiration sport has in people's lives, is to get across the message of be the best you can be with whatever you get involved with,” he said.

"We think that inspires not just the senior level, in terms of people playing in the competition, but goes right the way down to grassroots and school level because people are excited by having the World Cup.

"The other thing, and we've learned this from the Olympic bid, is that we want a football legacy for the world as well. We can't be arrogant and we certainly can't be complacent, because the competition [for the bid] is very stiff.

"We think it will help the national game, but also the international game as well, in terms of we've got great excitement, seen from the number of cities that want to bid for it."

Mr Sutcliffe isn't the English Sports Minister though, his role extends throughout the UK, covering Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as well, and he felt, with a joint British bid being impractical and unlikely to succeed, England hosting the 2018 tournament would have positive knock-on effects in the other nations of the UK too.

"It has to be a single country bid. FIFA haven't ruled yet, but they are likely to say that the joint bid from Spain and Portugal is not the way forward so it has to be a one home nation bid," he explained.

"We believe it will benefit Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as well."

Another major sporting event shortly to arrive on these shores are the 2012 Olympic Games, in which a Great Britain side consisting only of English players will represent the nation.

The Scottish and Welsh FAs will not be sending players as they feel it will compromise their separate national identities within FIFA. Mr. Sutcliffe, though, maintained that he was disappointed with the negative response from the other Home Nations.

"I'm disappointed about the home nations' response to the Great Britain team,” he lamented. “I understand the concerns about losing the individual identity of the home nations, but we did have assurances from FIFA that that wouldn't take place.

"I think it was unfortunate that the home nations sent a letter to FIFA saying that they didn't think football was an Olympic sport. I don't think that was in their best interest.

"There will be a team representing Great Britain, made up of English players. Even at this late stage I would hope that, if we are able to find Scottish and Welsh players who are under 23 and who want to play, then the home nations don't stop them playing.

"I think it's a disappointment because the Olympic Games in London will be a fantastic showcase for all sport, and football in particular. I think it's sad that a Scottish player or a Welsh player won't get the chance to play at Wembley.

"Chris Hoy [a Scottish-born Olympic track cycling gold medallist] did it, a lot of athletes do it and are very proud to represent Great Britain."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Exclusive: UK Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe On Wages, World Cup Bids & A Great Britain Team
The Sports Minister was pleased to share his thoughts with Goal.com about a number of issues surrounding the English game...

Gerry Sutcliffe MP, the United Kingdom government's Sports Minister, was at Derby County's Pride Park Stadium on Wednesday giving government backing to the 'Every Player Counts' initiative.

This scheme has been launched in partnership between the The Football League Trust and the The New Football Pools, and aims to increase disability football provision across England and Wales on an unprecedented scale, with The New Football Pools donating £2.59 million to a three-year, pan-disability scheme that will develop opportunities at 36 Football League clubs.

At the event, Mr. Sutcliffe was also pleased to share some of his thoughts about the current state of the game in England with Goal.com's Zack Wilson.

With the event focusing on grassroots and community football, Mr. Sutcliffe was asked as to whether he felt the huge spending power of a club such as Manchester City could actually be good for the game, widening as it does the gap between the Premier League and the lower reaches of the football pyramid.

"That's one of the reasons why we wrote to the Premier League and the FA in autumn last year to raise a number of issues of concern about governance of football and homegrown players," he revealed. “There's quite a wide ranging agenda, and we've now received all their responses and I'm due to give my response to their response in the next couple of weeks.

"It's not the government's job to run football. What we see ourselves as are critical friends basically. These are the issues that are raised with us by fans. We do have a part to play in that we invest £25 million into grassroots football through All Sport plans with the FA, through the education system and we liaise with clubs about Premier players going into academies. So there is a legitimate role for government to play.

"I've said previously that I think if football is to be sustainable it needs to keep in touch with its grassroots and to keep in touch with supporters. I think issues around wages and around ticket prices are key elements that they've got to look at.

"At the end of the day it's not for me to set caps, although I do understand that discussions are taking place around Europe and indeed in the UK. It's for the FA and the Football League to sort that out - it shouldn't be up to the government to demand that they do."

With that in mind, the minister was asked whether he felt that the proposed FIFA '6+5' ruling, limiting the amount of non-homegrown players in a side, was a positive move.

"The 6+5 is an issue that FIFA are putting forward. There are concerns around its legality in terms of European competition law. As European sports ministers, we are looking at what we can do to help and support the UEFA proposal as well," he explained.

Mr Sutcliffe highlighted the fact that the government see international success for the England team as its priority, and he would like to see more young Englishman given the chance to play more regularly for their club sides.

"The England national team is important," he asserted.

"A good example of that for me was that, whilst the England Under-19s and Under-21s did very well to reach their [European Championship] finals, in the U-21 final, most of the German team played regular first team football, and unfortunately the English team didn't.

"Regular first team football is important if you want players to develop. These are all issues that I will be responding to when I make a speech in Europe in early September."

With a bid to host the 2018 World Cup in England in its incipient stages, the national team is likely to be high on the agenda in the coming years, and Mr. Sutcliffe was of the view that the bid to host the tournament could only be good for football in this country, as well as elsewhere.

"What we've tried to do, we can see the inspiration sport has in people's lives, is to get across the message of be the best you can be with whatever you get involved with,” he said.

"We think that inspires not just the senior level, in terms of people playing in the competition, but goes right the way down to grassroots and school level because people are excited by having the World Cup.

"The other thing, and we've learned this from the Olympic bid, is that we want a football legacy for the world as well. We can't be arrogant and we certainly can't be complacent, because the competition [for the bid] is very stiff.

"We think it will help the national game, but also the international game as well, in terms of we've got great excitement, seen from the number of cities that want to bid for it."

Mr Sutcliffe isn't the English Sports Minister though, his role extends throughout the UK, covering Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as well, and he felt, with a joint British bid being impractical and unlikely to succeed, England hosting the 2018 tournament would have positive knock-on effects in the other nations of the UK too.

"It has to be a single country bid. FIFA haven't ruled yet, but they are likely to say that the joint bid from Spain and Portugal is not the way forward so it has to be a one home nation bid," he explained.

"We believe it will benefit Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as well."

Another major sporting event shortly to arrive on these shores are the 2012 Olympic Games, in which a Great Britain side consisting only of English players will represent the nation.

The Scottish and Welsh FAs will not be sending players as they feel it will compromise their separate national identities within FIFA. Mr. Sutcliffe, though, maintained that he was disappointed with the negative response from the other Home Nations.

"I'm disappointed about the home nations' response to the Great Britain team,” he lamented. “I understand the concerns about losing the individual identity of the home nations, but we did have assurances from FIFA that that wouldn't take place.

"I think it was unfortunate that the home nations sent a letter to FIFA saying that they didn't think football was an Olympic sport. I don't think that was in their best interest.

"There will be a team representing Great Britain, made up of English players. Even at this late stage I would hope that, if we are able to find Scottish and Welsh players who are under 23 and who want to play, then the home nations don't stop them playing.

"I think it's a disappointment because the Olympic Games in London will be a fantastic showcase for all sport, and football in particular. I think it's sad that a Scottish player or a Welsh player won't get the chance to play at Wembley.

"Chris Hoy [a Scottish-born Olympic track cycling gold medallist] did it, a lot of athletes do it and are very proud to represent Great Britain."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Barcelona Consider Manchester City’s Vincent Kompany – Report
The Blaugrana are reportedly weighing up the merits of a move for the Belgian defender...

Barcelona are understood to be drawing up a list of defensive targets after being rebuffed in their quest for Shakhtar Donetsk centre-back Dmytro Chyhrynskiy.

According to news daily Sport, Manchester City's Vincent Kompany, who can also play a holding midfield role, is the next man on Josep Guardiola's shortlist.

The 23-year-old, who signed for City from Hamburg last summer, has admitted his dream of playing for Barcelona on a number of occasions and was reportedly observed by the Catalan club five years ago.

News reports in Belgium indicate that Kompany's representative, Jacques Liechtenstein, was contacted by Barcelona about the defender's situation.

It is believed that the Catalan club could meet with Liechtenstein this week, prior to the clubs' friendly match, which is scheduled for August 19.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Barcelona Consider Manchester City’s Vincent Kompany – Report
The Blaugrana are reportedly weighing up the merits of a move for the Belgian defender...

Barcelona are understood to be drawing up a list of defensive targets after being rebuffed in their quest for Shakhtar Donetsk centre-back Dmytro Chyhrynskiy.

According to news daily Sport, Manchester City's Vincent Kompany, who can also play a holding midfield role, is the next man on Josep Guardiola's shortlist.

The 23-year-old, who signed for City from Hamburg last summer, has admitted his dream of playing for Barcelona on a number of occasions and was reportedly observed by the Catalan club five years ago.

News reports in Belgium indicate that Kompany's representative, Jacques Liechtenstein, was contacted by Barcelona about the defender's situation.

It is believed that the Catalan club could meet with Liechtenstein this week, prior to the clubs' friendly match, which is scheduled for August 19.

sky star 2

Super VIP
New Fiorentina Arrival Cristiano Zanetti: Juventus Didn't Want Me Anymore
The new Viola player is not pleased with the treatment shown to him by his former club...

The sale of Juventus midfielder Cristiano Zanetti to Fiorentina raised some eyebrows in the peninsula, and has now produced comments from both sides as the veteran has responded to accusations from sporting director Alessio Secco.

The Bianconeri official had claimed that Zanetti had asked for a new three year contract and a first-team place, but the former Italian international has rebuffed those comments.

"Do not say absurd things, the story should be explained fully. I took note of Juventus' behaviour towards me and looked around," he revealed to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"They never had any intention of renewing my contract.

"This is a matter of respect. I have heard a couple of things from Secco to which I must respond. I have never asked for guarantees of any kind in my life. In the end, the work I put in was always my warranty," he continued.

"I never asked for anything, because he did not ever consider my possible [contract] renewal. [I asked for] Three years? We had never spoken."

The 32-year-old cost the Viola €2 million and is expected to add some extra determination to their midfield after the departure of Brazilian international Felipe Melo this summer, who moved to Juventus no less.

"I am happy, very happy, to be at Fiorentina. To Fiorentina I could not have said no, they know how to treat people. That's enough for me."

sky star 2

Super VIP
New Fiorentina Arrival Cristiano Zanetti: Juventus Didn't Want Me Anymore
The new Viola player is not pleased with the treatment shown to him by his former club...

The sale of Juventus midfielder Cristiano Zanetti to Fiorentina raised some eyebrows in the peninsula, and has now produced comments from both sides as the veteran has responded to accusations from sporting director Alessio Secco.

The Bianconeri official had claimed that Zanetti had asked for a new three year contract and a first-team place, but the former Italian international has rebuffed those comments.

"Do not say absurd things, the story should be explained fully. I took note of Juventus' behaviour towards me and looked around," he revealed to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"They never had any intention of renewing my contract.

"This is a matter of respect. I have heard a couple of things from Secco to which I must respond. I have never asked for guarantees of any kind in my life. In the end, the work I put in was always my warranty," he continued.

"I never asked for anything, because he did not ever consider my possible [contract] renewal. [I asked for] Three years? We had never spoken."

The 32-year-old cost the Viola €2 million and is expected to add some extra determination to their midfield after the departure of Brazilian international Felipe Melo this summer, who moved to Juventus no less.

"I am happy, very happy, to be at Fiorentina. To Fiorentina I could not have said no, they know how to treat people. That's enough for me."