4:2:2 What Receivers?

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
Don't need the dish up to test those files via my VU hard drive.

Hopefully, the dish will be sorted fully tomorrow or Friday.
Managed to get the dish onto the new pole today, which wasn't easy.
My balance is not good and much worse when up a ladder holding a heavy dish. :D

suny99

Registered
Even tho testing from hard drive can give us some results it still doesn't means that tv can't play 422. When you play a file from your receivers hdd you still depends of video player you are suing and its codecs.

When you play a channel via satellite then you use receiver hw to decode videos.

Result doesn't have to be the same in those two cases. So playing from hdd can give us some result but only after playing real feed from satellite you'll know for sure.

Don't fall off those ladders hahaha you don't wan't to go to ER during this Corona crises lol

EDIT: your TV is capable of playing 422 via hdmi. So even TV USB test that you did means nothing. If it can play 422 via hdmi it doesn't mean that it's USB internal player is capable of 422 decoding.

So proper test will be real feed from your receiver

Last edited:

kebien

Registered
Obviously, you meant 422 MPEG4 SD/HD/UHD

422 MPEG2 SD/HD are visible on-the-fly whit an AZBOX

This is an old common known :)

I have 2 Azbox,so I know they can do 4:2:2 mpeg2,but I think we are not talking about mpg2,are we?

I think is a moot point that a TV can play 4:2:2/4.
Since the signal from any user end receiver I know delivers 4:2:0 at 4K .
Also,what are the chances a PC card can deliver 4:2:2 or 4? if it would,a TV that is not capable of render this high profiles would have a black screen when connected to the video card,correct?
The best test you can do is to set your video card to deliver 4:2:2 or 4 output,then check if your TV is able to get anything.
New video cards might have such a setting,but never seen it.
Most probably a gamer would know.

UPDATE
I have settings in my AMD video card for 4:4:4 chroma,so for sure video cards can deliver 4:4:4

Last edited:

kebien

Registered
let's put all in context : with a PC you can watch any chroma profile,but the card's video output is always 4:2:0 so your TV can display it.
Same thing with Octagon using KODI,you can watch 4:2:2,and still the video output of Octagon delivers a 4:2:0 format.
I am not sure Enigma 2 has settings for chroma profiles anyway.
So,if this is the case,the TV,even if capable,won't be getting any 4:2:2 or 4 from your receiver.
Now a PC card would,which I think the reason video cards are doing this profiles is for GAMING.

suny99

Registered
let's put all in context : with a PC you can watch any chroma profile,but the card's video output is always 4:2:0 so your TV can display it.
Same thing with Octagon using KODI,you can watch 4:2:2,and still the video output of Octagon delivers a 4:2:0 format.
I am not sure Enigma 2 has settings for chroma profiles anyway.
So,if this is the case,the TV,even if capable,won't be getting any 4:2:2 or 4 from your receiver.
Now a PC card would,which I think the reason video cards are doing this profiles is for GAMING.

You're right about everything except the last part. There's no consumer video card that has profile for 4:2:2, that means no video card can hardware decode 4:2:2.

But in other hand there are CPU's that do have hw decoding profile for 4:2:2 and those are Intel CPU's (last two generations have all the profiles for 4:2:2).
AMD CPU's don't have profiles for 4:2:2. So that's way AMD CPU's do sw decoding when 4:2:2 is in question.

For example AMD Ryzen 5 2600 will be at 50% when it's decoding 4K hevc 4:2:2.

dvlajkovic

I can put anything I want to as the output on my PC graphic card:
4:2:0, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4.

video-card-output-settings.png

Also, the way to overcome the output of STB is to stream the 4:2:2 via network to TV capable of showing 4:2:2.

As for the CPU, it depends what sits in your config.
CPU in my PC can run 5 UHD 4K 4:2:2 streams simultaneously with no sweat, and still have more than half of its cores totally free.

And finally, it matters what software player is used on PC to run 4K UHD 4:2:2 and how did you set it up (default settings are useless).

cpu-in-my-pc.png

suny99

Registered
@dvlajkovic

What graphic card do you use?

And can you give us instruction for setting up video player on PC?

kebien

Registered
You're right about everything except the last part. There's no consumer video card that has profile for 4:2:2, that means no video card can hardware decode 4:2:2.

There are differences in what we are talking about.
You say cards can't handle 4:2:2,but my card says otherwise (which i didn't know before)
same as in the previous poster

suny99

Registered
There are differences in what we are talking about.
You say cards can't handle 4:2:2,but my card says otherwise (which i didn't know before)
same as in the previous poster

I think you haven't understand me. Your card can't do hardware decoding of video with its cpu.

But it can output 4:2:2 from a source. That means that you need to have a player that's capable of outputting 4:2:2 without conversion to 4:2:0 and your card is capable of playing that. Of course you need to also have monitor that's capable of showing 4:2:2. But your card can't do decoding itself.

azboxgo

Registered
Guys, it seems to me that many confuse compressed (H.264/HEVC) 4:2:2 video (used in DTV transmissions) with uncompressed 4:2:2/4:4:4 video over HDMI.
The fact that a display (TV/Monitor) is able to accept uncompressed 4:2:2/4:4:4 video through HDMI has nothing
to do with its capability to decode compressed 4:2:2 video streams (coming from a tuner, network interface or storage unit). Only a few specialized video decoder IC are able to decode the High 4:2.2 Profile MPEG-4 AVC (aka H.264) used by many feeds, which however can be decoded by software decoders on CPUs with enough power.
Modern GPUs do not support hardware-based decoding of such profile (they do support regular 4:2:0 AVC) but they can output uncompressed 4:2:2/4:4:4 video to compatible displays.

Last edited:

suny99

Registered
Guys, it seems to me that many confuse compressed (H.264/HEVC) 4:2:2 video (used in DTV transmissions) with uncompressed 4:2:2/4:4:4 video over HDMI.
The fact that a display (TV/Monitor) is able to accept uncompressed 4:2:2/4:4:4 video through HDMI has nothing
to do with its capability to decode compressed 4:2:2 video streams (coming from a tuner, network interface or storage unit). Only a few specialized video decoder IC are able to decode the High 4:2.2 Profile MPEG-4 AVC (aka H.264) used by many feeds, which however can be decoded by software decoders on CPUs with enough power.
Modern GPUs do not support hardware-based decoding of such profile (they do support regular 4:2:0 AVC) but they can output uncompressed 4:2:2/4:4:4 video to compatible displays.

Exactly this!!!

Thank you so much I was trying to explain exactly this to them but I guess I wasn't clear.

You found a way to explain it shortly and clearly. :thum:

The only question that still remains is that @dvlajkovic claims that you can stream 4:2:2 from receiver to TV. That would mean that his TV can decode 4:2:2 which I find not likely but who knows...

All TV's that @dvlajkovic gave us a link to see are capable of playing 4:2:2 through HDMI. That means that you need to have a device that's capable of decoding from h.264 4:2:2 (AVC) or hevc to raw YCbCR422 connected to TV via HDMI.

What we see on our monitor when we stream or play with PC card is usually a conversion from h.264 4:2:2 to RGB 4:2:0.

Even if your screen does support YCbCR422 it is most probably that you're watching feed converted to 4:2:0 because that's what most video player on PC do with 4:2:2.

And I'm not sure what video player is outputting 4:2:2 witout conversion. Maybe someone else knows?

dvlajkovic

The graphics card that I use for years by now is nvidia 1080ti with standard nvidia drivers for Windows. Nothing special about it.

As for the PC software media player settings, here they are:

First of all, uninstall all the video-codecs that you have on your Win.
Install just LAV filters x64 and set LAV video configuration this way:

For PC with nvidia GPU:
nvidia.png

For PC with AMD GPU:
AMD.png

For Intel CPU with integrated graphics, select option Hardware Decoder to use: Intel QuickSync.

In all three cases, set the option RGB Output levels to PC (as on the screenshots) or TV (depending where you intend to watch).

The media players for Windows

MPC-HC needs to be configured this way:

Add External Filters and make sure to select option "Prefer" on all three of them (see on the screenshot below).
MPC-External-Filters.png

Output option should be like this:
MPC-Output.png

Internal Filters - leave just options that are framed with red color, all the others should be inactive (unchecked).
MPC-Internal-Filters.png

VLC player

For playing 4K UHD 4:2:2 video this option does miracle on nvidia GPU (I haven't tested on AMD GPU):
VLC-video-settings.png

For Full HD 4:2:2 just use "Automatic".

I am aware that Automatic is the best for general use of VLC and it does not remove the mouse pointer :)
But just for 4K UHD 4:2:2 choose OpenGL video output and enjoy.

Disclaimer: If it does not work as expected on your PC, try using better GPU, CPU or both. Make sure to use the latest GPU drivers and the latest versions of mentioned apps here.
It 100% works fine on my PC, but I am not responsible for the performance of your PC.

gilvey

Registered
The version of VLC currently on Windows 10 has got a glitch in it when I play back video. Never used to do it til they updated it.

kebien

Registered
Well,there is no confusion from my part,some people is talking about hardware decoding,and others are talking about video card output.
In my case,it was all about the TV that can handle 4:2:2/4 and the idea that a device that can deliver such profile.
Is good there is clarification.
My card is a AMD chipset with on board video graphics R5,and it clearly states output profiles 4:2:2 and 4:4:4.
It is surely for gaming when paired with a TV/monitor that can handle it.
And is also the reason the TV's are coming prepared for that.

Regarding decoding satellite streams in any other profile than 4:2:0,that is also clearly done by software by CPU,since video cards are not meant to decode other than 4:2:0 chroma in hardware.

C0der

Registered
When I choose OpenGL video output in VLC (with nvidia gpu), it does not play 4:2:2 at all and not even normal 4:2:0.

dvlajkovic

My PC setup is: the latest VLC, the latest nvidia drivers, Win 10, all 64-bit.
Open GL output in VLC gives great and smooth playback of all 4K UHD 422 vids.
But, as I said: I run them on muscled GPU and CPU. Don't know how it goes on other PC configs.

tolis1990

Registered
Receiver playing 422 biss

Hello guys I am looking to buy a receiver to play 422 biss channels.. Can anyone help me please... Thank you very much