C-Band/Ka-Band Reception in the UK (Dish Project: LNBs, Dish, Alignment) - Post your results here...

empb

SU Team: It's All Good (Fausto v1.45/Newcamd/vplug
Staff member
Administrator
Don't you just hate when copy / pasters missquote info:

I have contacted Flysat to tell them to remove this incorrect info

amdade

Registered
Use a Linear Sat without the plate to set the skew, which of course makes it very difficult as 3.3°E was active when I set mine up. Now we've got 46°E, the even weaker 38°E, prob better on the West Arc 37.5°W, 45°W, (weaker) 50°W & 55.5°W.

Then the plate goes :

dielectric_in_c_band_lnb_12pc_1b.jpg

:D :thum:

Just an update from me ....

Moved the 1.5m to location that I thought could see 55W and nothing yet :mad:

In fact still nothing linear polarisation at all on c band for me.

Back to the dielectric plate....

here is a strange one relating to the dielectric plate. Moved it to the opposite "wrong" position so that I have R=H L=V

40.5W SES 6

3980 R VOA

In normal position R=V, L=H I get nothing at all from this TP, other way around "wrong" position, comes in lock with watchable (small breakup) image.

The LNB feed does have 4 grooves at 90 degrees apart. Im assuming they are there for the dielectric plate to go in both ways around ?

Not tried any other sats other than this one, on blind scan seem to have more channels than before but not taken a good look at the list to be sure.

Any thoughts ?

EbenDer

Registered
Hello amdade,

i cant help with your equipment - because im using a Seavey Feed with mechanical polarisation. So it makes no different for me to receive a lineare Satellite or not. Both are working with this Feed without moving a dielectric plate in or out.. ( a Chapparal-Corrotor is also working )

If you want to receive the IMC Worldcup 2014 Feed on 55 West - i must be honest: you will not get it with 150 cm..

Regards EbenDer!

amdade

Registered
Hi EbenDer
Thanks for the info sounds nice setup there. I think I still have tree problems thought picked a clever spot in the garden but maybe not :)

What size antenna do you have ?

amdade

Registered
New one to report for me (with plate in "wrong" way)

NSS 7 at 20.0°W

4129 R MTN

Good lock, can see the clear info card plus the encrypted channels (black screen). Only TP for me at this position

Lyngsat states global beam but not sure I believe it.

empb

Staff member
Administrator
Just an update from me ....

Moved the 1.5m to location that I thought could see 55W and nothing yet :mad:

In fact still nothing linear polarisation at all on c band for me.

Back to the dielectric plate....

here is a strange one relating to the dielectric plate. Moved it to the opposite "wrong" position so that I have R=H L=V

40.5W SES 6

3980 R VOA

In normal position R=V, L=H I get nothing at all from this TP, other way around "wrong" position, comes in lock with watchable (small breakup) image.

The LNB feed does have 4 grooves at 90 degrees apart. Im assuming they are there for the dielectric plate to go in both ways around ?

Not tried any other sats other than this one, on blind scan seem to have more channels than before but not taken a good look at the list to be sure.

Any thoughts ?

New one to report for me (with plate in "wrong" way)

NSS 7 at 20.0°W

4129 R MTN

Good lock, can see the clear info card plus the encrypted channels (black screen). Only TP for me at this position

Lyngsat states global beam but not sure I believe it.

I am sure once you get the LNBF's skew correct you will get these channels with the plate in the correct position and weaker or not at all in the wrong position.

amdade

Registered
Yes Im sure you are right empb.

With antenna pointed at 1W, I have the two probes set vertical / horizontal. Im east of the greenwich meridian by about 1 degree.

This should be more or less correct ?

Just another FYI have the two ESPN TP's from 40.5W also with the plate in its current position. 3758 L and 3980 L

empb

Staff member
Administrator
Once I've finished with current dilectric plate project. I will have to see about removing some wall cladding to get further west. My C-Band only gets as far as 15W at the moment.

amdade

Registered
New satellite position for me today :)

Intelsat 905 at 24.5W

3688 R - ERTU Egypt

Looks to be only one in this location also.

Nothing so far from 22W which bit surprising

amdade

Registered
Perhaps a bit of a breakthrough a linear channel no plate installed. Think tree problems confirmed, with a new sat position for me.

Looks like my skew position was about right as set up.

37.4W NSS 10
3756 H 1777 Silverbird TV (in English)

I will do another blind scan now see if anything else appears

As I type the wind has eased, Signal 87 Quality 60, wind blows trees move, up and down S/Q goes, sometimes drops out completely.

So.... need to find another location for the third time :) All good fun

Last edited:

amdade

Registered
An update from me related to the 2.4m fortec star antenna ordered couple of weeks ago...

Arrived well packed, but I was quite surprised with the weight of the package, could only just move it by myself.

Assembly fairly easy as long as you use an upturned bucket to support the petals at the centre, and take your time building it. I put the support assembly onto the reflector face down, then lifted whole thing onto the concrete pad.

Seems to be designed for C band, feed support arms come with holes to connect direct to a scalar ring. The unit came with an a KU LNB adaptor plate which I have not used.

Plus points :

Very low cost £195 inc delivery
surprisingly good build quality reflector
Decent results from 55W where it is pointed at the moment

Needs improvement :)

Nuts were not all well made I had 5 that were not threaded properly.
No washers included
Anchor bolts not easy to use, not quite long enough probably will have to replace.
Az El base not the best, the Az part is not really adjustable a case of move the whole thing around not easy
The base is going to rust, in fact already can see some issues around the bottom where I have been moving it. Hamerite needed.
Wish could buy the polar mount to go with it
No useful instructions

So the results.

Have C1W-PLL on there at the moment, Technomate TM6902 :

220 channels scanned…

4004 V IMC Worldcup 2014 signal 87, quality 68, works well, no luck with Sportsmax 1 or 2 on same TP
3846 V Fox + others, signal 89 quality 63, working, thanks to all for software upgrade :)

Not tried other satellites as yet may try for 58W next, not done this yet because wanted the IMC channel and how difficult it is to move.

Next step to find a polar mount for it….

Can upload some pics if of interest. Any questions fire away…

amdade

Registered
Yes that was kind of part of the plan to use the reflector on a n other polar mount maybe even replace the the IRTE 1.5. Im thinking now keep my 1.5 as is and add a polar mount to this one. May be next summer project...

Also should have said this is a HUGE dish, I should have realised but there we are. The petals are heavy

first try to upload photos here goes

gpavlin73

Registered
Any idea how this would work with ku band reception ?
If not a secret , may I ask where did you buy it for 195 , shipment included ?

Thank you

amdade

Registered
Not tried KU band, but does comes with adaptor. Bought specifically for C band.. Reviews I have read for KU are not good.

Have a look on the well known auction site, phone number 01482 dial code, search for "2.4m dish"

empb

Staff member
Administrator
This one

Code:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4m-240cm-KU-Band-Satellite-Dish-UK-Europe-Nilesat-Arabsat-Spain-/141796982253?hash=item2103c23ded

not a direct link :D

zboard

Registered
Yes chris1979 has also posted results for 16E&7E&5E dish size is everything mind. Chris has used a gibertini 1.25 & 1.5 for the results.

Plus a tbs 6983 sat card :)