Very slow speeds with VPN

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I was referring to your Router CPU spec mate :thum:

Oh, my mistake.

Then you are correct.

I don't mind buying a newer and more powerful router if I knew for sure it would improve things.
I would not be too happy if I spent around £500 on an all signing all dancing router only to find that I am in the same boat.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Oh, my mistake.

Then you are correct.

I don't mind buying a newer and more powerful router if I knew for sure it would improve things.
I would not be too happy if I spent around £500 on an all signing all dancing router only to find that I am in the same boat.

If you fancy messing around get yourself a small form factor pc and turn it in to a very high spec router be installing pfsense.

With cpu and ram not limited it will fly. The VPN provider will then be your bottleneck not the router. As you are with your router spec 60-80mb is about the most you could expect.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
If you fancy messing around get yourself a small form factor pc and turn it in to a very high spec router be installing pfsense.

With cpu and ram not limited it will fly. The VPN provider will then be your bottleneck not the router. As you are with your router spec 60-80mb is about the most you could expect.

I do have an unused computer gathering dust.

It's been a couple of years since I last used it as I have access to a few, but it runs win 10.
My memory says the specs are dual-core, 1.8Ghz, I think but might be wrong.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member

Are there any guides on doing this?

I think I will have a go.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I shall make time to check them out. Just brought the computer down and dusted it off.
Is there a minimum spec required?

piplan1966

Registered
free vpn

i am fre vpn use with google net speed slow and with out vpn net speed

best what is this problem ?

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I am considering possibly getting a more modern router as mine is no longer supported by Asuswrt-Merlin.

I currently have my eyes on this one****>

ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 WiFi Cable & Fibre Router - AX 11000, Tri-band.

Am I likely to get much faster speeds via VPN with this one?

I am just looking at all options at the moment. I am still looking at pfsense on a spare computer but don't yet fully understand how it works or what I might achieve from it.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I purchased the above router and have just finished installing it. Initial tests give me a download speed of around 250mb when VPN is on. That is a massive improvement on what I was getting with the AC3200.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
I purchased the above router and have just finished installing it. Initial tests give me a download speed of around 250mb when VPN is on. That is a massive improvement on what I was getting with the AC3200.

Excellent mate that. One hell of a router that is.

What VPN do you use ?