Satellite dish motorised setup

chris0147

Registered
Hi all,

I need your help.

I have been told by someone on the other forum that I have set up incorrect settings when I setup the rig on dead straight (remember with 3 dots) with motor set to 0 then I moved the whole rig to 0.8west with motor set to 0. He said that it should be 2-3 degree.

Do the motor need to be on 0 when I move the rig on dead straight like 12 o clock and do the dish need to be 2-3 gree when I move the dish to 0.8west?

If not, do I need to move the whole rig to 0.8west with the motor set to 0 as the motor is not on dead straight?

I think I have setup incorrect as the motor is not on dead straight when I moved the whole rig to 0.8west with the motor set to 0. I guess the motor need to be on dead straight as the motor set to 0 and I think I need to undo the nuts on the brackets that holds on the motor arm to move the dish to 0.8west.

Please let me know which one of them is correct.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Souldream

Registered
It depends.

First you need to get your exact settings based on your geo position.

So it will create the virtual 0 position on your rotor for the MAX Azimut position on arc of satelittes.

So once you have the data values based on your position, you have two way to set the dish.

* You can check the nearest satelitte from your virtual '0' position on your rotor ( based on list SAT calculated from your position ) -> this is what your friend explain u, you must move about 2-3° to get 0.8w.

Rotor iirc has a 60° arc , so it means satellites in the middle will be the one with better and strong signal.

* Here is my trick how i configure the Rotor.

0 - I setup Elevation Dish based on my geo position

1 - I setup the STB with all USALS DATA ( Lat / Long ).
2 - I Ask a GO 0°
3 - I ask to go on 19.2° and stay

4 - I configure the dish horizontally to find Astra 19.2
5 - I take higher freq & weak TP 126xx and finetune over this TP
6 - I ask to go on 13E and scan or any others sat position.

Regards

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Well

To start with and this bit is absolutely critical, the pole your motor is mounted to needs to be level thats front to back and side to side. If you dont get that 100% your going to struggle.

Now look in your motors manual and set up the motor elevation for your coordinates. The motor will have a scale on the side.

Look for your coordinates here

https://www.dishpointer.com

Enter your post code write down the coordinates for later.

With the motor done now set the dish elevation/declination also from the motor manuals settings. Again the dish should have a scale.

With the motor and dish elevation set mount the dish to the motor making sure the motor is at 0 degrees and making sure the dish is central on the motor and straight to 0 degrees on the motor.

Now mount the dish/ motor assembly on to the pole loosely and connect up the LNB.

Go in to the house and enter your coordinates into the receiver select a know strong transponder on 0.8 west.

Now with a signal meter or at a push something you can view the signal on move the whole dish/motor assembly from left to right around the pole till maximum signal is achieved for 0.8 west at that point tighten the motor u bolts on the pole keeping and eye on the signal to make sure is still the best it can be.

Now loosen the dish bracket for elevation/ declination and move the dish up and down till signal is peaked then tighten the dish up.

Thats it check the arc.

chris0147

Registered
Well

To start with and this bit is absolutely critical, the pole your motor is mounted to needs to be level thats front to back and side to side. If you dont get that 100% your going to struggle.

Now look in your motors manual and set up the motor elevation for your coordinates. The motor will have a scale on the side.

Look for your coordinates here

https://www.dishpointer.com

Enter your post code write down the coordinates for later.

With the motor done now set the dish elevation/declination also from the motor manuals settings. Again the dish should have a scale.

With the motor and dish elevation set mount the dish to the motor making sure the motor is at 0 degrees and making sure the dish is central on the motor and straight to 0 degrees on the motor.

Now mount the dish/ motor assembly on to the pole loosely and connect up the LNB.

Go in to the house and enter your coordinates into the receiver select a know strong transponder on 0.8 west.

Now with a signal meter or at a push something you can view the signal on move the whole dish/motor assembly from left to right around the pole till maximum signal is achieved for 0.8 west at that point tighten the motor u bolts on the pole keeping and eye on the signal to make sure is still the best it can be.

Now loosen the dish bracket for elevation/ declination and move the dish up and down till signal is peaked then tighten the dish up.

Thats it check the arc.

I understand that what I need to do, but I'm talking about setup the whole rig as on dead straight.

Do the motor always be on dead straight when I move the whole rig to be on dead straight like 12 o clock??

And do the motor set to be 2-3 degree when I move it to 0.8west while the motor is on dead straight?

If so how I can adjust the motor settings to 2-3 degree?

If not, do I need to move the whole rig to 0.8west with the motor set to 0 when the motor is not on dead straight?

Or do I need to move the whole rig on dead straight and move the dish to 0.8west by move the bracket on the motor arm while the rig is on dead straight??

Which one?

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Or do I need to move the whole rig on dead straight and move the dish to 0.8west by move the bracket on the motor arm while the rig is on dead straight??

Which one?

Make sure your dish is dead straight to 0 degrees on the motor you could then send the dish to 0.8 deg with your receiver then moving the whole dish motor assemble around the pole the motor sits on will take care of the true south stuff your mate talks about with his 2-3 deg.

Ive seen your thread on the other forum and i admit there is some confusing advice.

chris0147

Registered
Make sure your dish is dead straight to 0 degrees on the motor you could then send the dish to 0.8 deg with your receiver then moving the whole dish motor assemble around the pole the motor sits on will take care of the true south stuff your mate talks about with his 2-3 deg.

Ive seen your thread on the other forum and i admit there is some confusing advice.

Yeah it is confusing as I am trying to get it correct before I do this. When I set the motor to 0 and when the rig is on dead straight, do I need to go on the receiver to select the channels that the motor will find 0.8west?

Is that correct?

If so, I will do that and will report back if I get any problem or if it have been helping to resolve the issue.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah it is confusing as I am trying to get it correct before I do this. When I set the motor to 0 and when the rig is on dead straight, do I need to go on the receiver to select the channels that the motor will find 0.8west?

Is that correct?

If so, I will do that and will report back if I get any problem or if it have been helping to resolve the issue.

If you have entered your usuals setting in your box when you choose a transponder or channel on 0.8 west it will move the motor to 0.8 west that what it has to do and is correct. Then tweak as i described above.

chris0147

Registered
If you have entered your usuals setting in your box when you choose a transponder or channel on 0.8 west it will move the motor to 0.8 west that what it has to do and is correct. Then tweak as i described above.

My usual settings is incorrect so I am going to change the longtitude to 1.388.

Before I do this, do I need to set the whole rig as 12 o clock with the motor set to 0 and is on dead straight then I go to my receiver to select the channels on 0.8west?

Please correct me if I am correct.

Do you know what I need to do if the motor don't move as I set the whole rig on dead straight as 12 o clock?

Do I need to reset the button on the motor?

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
My usual settings is incorrect so I am going to change the longtitude to 1.388.

Before I do this, do I need to set the whole rig as 12 o clock with the motor set to 0 and is on dead straight then I go to my receiver to select the channels on 0.8west?

YES THE ABOVE IS CORRECT BUT SET YOU COORDINATES TO CORRECT ONES FIRST

Please correct me if I am correct.

Do you know what I need to do if the motor don't move as I set the whole rig on dead straight as 12 o clock?

IT will move if your setup on receiver correctly

Do I need to reset the button on the motor?

You should not need to

See the above in blue

chris0147

Registered
See the above in blue

Thanks Blade, today I have moved the whole rig to dead straight centre and I have set the motor to 0. When I select on 0.8west channels, it will not move the motor to the correct direction. When I selected on 16 east, it will move the motor to the wrong direction. From what I can see it will move the motor to 2 degree in the west which is wrong. It should have move it to 2 degree in the east. How I can get the motor to send to the correct direction?

I have put the correct latitude and longitude in the usuals but it still send the motor to the wrong direction and I am getting no signals.

However, when I reset on the motor, I have disconnected the cable from the motor and I have selected on 16east channels then I turned my receiver off. I have reconnected the motor cable to the motor and I have turned my receiver back on. When I turned it back on, it will send the motor to 0 for 16east so when I selected on 0.8west channels, it will move the motor to 2-3 degree in the east and when I selected on 16 east it will move the motor back to 0.

From what I can see on my phone app, the closest one to the dead straight centre is 45 east, so do I have to select on 45 east after when I reset on the motor?

If not how I can send the motor to the correct direction to receive the signals?

Do I have to select on 45 east after I disconnect the cable from the motor?

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Blade, today I have moved the whole rig to dead straight centre and I have set the motor to 0. When I select on 0.8west channels, it will not move the motor to the correct direction. When I selected on 16 east, it will move the motor to the wrong direction. From what I can see it will move the motor to 2 degree in the west which is wrong. It should have move it to 2 degree in the east. How I can get the motor to send to the correct direction?

I have put the correct latitude and longitude in the usuals but it still send the motor to the wrong direction and I am getting no signals.

However, when I reset on the motor, I have disconnected the cable from the motor and I have selected on 16east channels then I turned my receiver off. I have reconnected the motor cable to the motor and I have turned my receiver back on. When I turned it back on, it will send the motor to 0 for 16east so when I selected on 0.8west channels, it will move the motor to 2-3 degree in the east and when I selected on 16 east it will move the motor back to 0.

From what I can see on my phone app, the closest one to the dead straight centre is 45 east, so do I have to select on 45 east after when I reset on the motor?

If not how I can send the motor to the correct direction to receive the signals?

Do I have to select on 45 east after I disconnect the cable from the motor?

You have entered your coordinates wrong in the receiver remember west is a minus figure.

45 East is the center of nothing in the UK your app or how you have it setup is wrong. 0.8 west is the most central satellite in the uk.

chris0147

Registered
You have entered your coordinates wrong in the receiver remember west is a minus figure.

45 East is the center of nothing in the UK your app or how you have it setup is wrong. 0.8 west is the most central satellite in the uk.

Oh right. Do I have to move the dish or the whole rig to 0.8west while the motor is set to 0??

Someone said that I live 1.3east so the closer one would be 1.9east. Do I have to move the dish or the rig to 1.9east?

Some people have confused the hell out of me.

Last edited:

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Oh right. Do I have to move the dish or the whole rig to 0.8west while the motor is set to 0??

Someone said that I live 1.3east so the closer one would be 1.9east. Do I have to move the dish or the rig to 1.9east?

Some people have confused the hell out of me.

Whats your coordinates ?

manic01

Super VIP
Is this a wind up you enter them into your receiver to tell them motor where you are
I told you ages ago it probably was.
Having read all these stories over numerous forums I have had a good chuckle,

Last edited:

chris0147

Registered
Is this a wind up you enter them into your receiver to tell them motor where you are

No this is not a wind up. I'm using 51.21 south latitude 1.388 east longitude.

Why is that?

What sat I should move the whole rig to?