Thread: Formula 1 News
View Single Post
Old 26-09-2008, 19:30  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 14,665 Times in 5,490 Posts

Alonso's Singapore worry
Spaniard worried about turn at Singapore track

Two-time Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso says he has some concerns over one of the turns at this weekend's night time Grand Prix in Singapore.

The first night race in Formula One history will take place at the Marina Bay street circuit and there are numerous concerns over the event.

With rain arriving at the circuit only adding to worries about the race, Alonso has also voiced his concern over Turn 10 on the track - a tight chicane.

The Spaniard believes cars may be damaged at the corner, and says that it is now too late to find a satisfactory solution.

"It is not the best solution they could find I think," Alonso said.
Worried

"We worry that if we miss the chicane you miss the line and have to go over the curves.

"It could damage the chassis or the damage the car at the bottom. If you damage one car it's not a problem as you can take the T-car but if you damage two you go home.

"It is a concern at the moment but I don't know what is a better solution and I don't know if they are able to do it quickly."

Alonso and the rest of the drivers have been keeping to European time to ensure that they are at their best during the night for the big race.

Renault driver Alonso has also been walking the street circuit in the city state to avoid any nasty surprises once qualifying begins.

"It is not difficult to keep to European times," added Alonso. "I have watched films until three and then slept before waking at one in the afternoon.

Walk

"At a new circuit the first lap you walk with the team is very important as you assess the corners and try to guess what speed will be needed at that corner, where will be the breaking point and which gear you will use.

"It takes a bit longer on a new circuit than a normal lap on one you know already but it was interesting because our simulations were a little different to how it was in reality."

Alonso expects overtaking to be almost impossible this weekend, likening the task to trying to get past a driver at Monaco.

"It will be exactly the same as Monaco," he said. "On this circuit I really see no way of overtaking.