Thread: Formula 1 News
View Single Post
Old 24-09-2008, 15:37  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 14,665 Times in 5,490 Posts

Lewis relishing the challenge
Unique challenge for F1 stars

Lewis Hamilton will be leaving no stone unturned in his preparations for next weekend's historic Singapore Grand Prix.

The island state hosts Formula One's first night race and it is the timing of the event that is all the talk, with the two practice sessions on Friday starting at 7pm and 9.30pm local time.

The qualifying session on Saturday gets under way at 10pm, whilst the race begins at 8pm, all under the most sophisticated lightning system ever produced for a sports event.

There will be almost 110,000 metres of power cables, 240 steel pylons and around 1,500 light projectors, creating illumination four times brighter than anything used at sports stadia.

For the drivers, the unusual timings mean an entirely different approach to the weekend is required, and for current Championship leader Hamilton he has put his faith in team doctor Aki Hintsa.

"Singapore is going to be a unique challenge for every member of the team," said Hamilton.

"Our doctor has prepared a very precise schedule for the drivers to stick to because all the sessions are so late in the day.

"Essentially we must not acclimatise to the local time, which is totally different to how we normally operate.

"Our training programmes ensure that over a race weekend we are at peak performance during the afternoons and as a result we are going to be staying in European time so this doesn't get disrupted.

"Apparently not acclimatising is much harder than adapting, because your body naturally wants to change.

"For the drivers, our meal, waking and sleeping rhythms will all be in European time.
Different

"For example we will get up early afternoon for breakfast, have supper at 1am and go to bed at around 3am.

"It will be very different preparation to any other race, but we'll try and do the best job we can."

Hamilton does not believe racing at night will pose any concerns, despite the fact the track is a street circuit housing 23 corners.

"The race will be quite a fun challenge, and I like a challenge!" insisted Hamilton.

"I've never raced at night before, but I don't think it is going to be a problem.

"It doesn't seem to be a problem in other sports, and there have been huge preparations for this, so I think it will be great.

"We are racing on another street circuit, which are a particular favourite of mine.

"From what I understand it is wide and fairly flowing in nature, which is not what you usually expect from a street circuit. But it sounds like it will be pretty spectacular.