Thread: Formula 1 News
View Single Post
Old 24-09-2008, 15:05  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 14,665 Times in 5,490 Posts

Hamilton appeal thrown out
Spa result stands after Hamilton appeal fails

Despite a spirited defence of his actions at the Paris tribunal, the British driver was adjudged to have cut a chicane during a duel with Finnish rival Kimi Raikkonen in the closing laps.

Race officials overturned his win and demoted Hamilton to third in the belief that he had thereby gained unfair advantage.

The five FIA International Court of Appeal judges in Paris upheld the original decision to hand down a drive-through penalty at the end of the race for a breach of Article 30.3 (a) of the 2008 FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations and Appendix L, Chapter 4, Article 2 (g) of the International Sporting Code.

The hearing ruled that Article 152 of the International Sporting Code states drive-through penalties are "not susceptible to appeal" and therefore threw out Hamilton's claim.

"Having heard the explanations of the parties the Court has concluded that the appeal is inadmissible," the FIA judges said.
Collision

The confirmation of Hamilton's third place means rival Felipe Massa of Ferrari claims a win which slashes the Briton's lead in the drivers' championship to a single point.

In giving evidence in the French capital, Hamilton reiterated his version of events as recorded in a statement given days after the race, saying he had taken the chicane to avoid a collision with Raikkonen.

"I thought I had given back the advantage that I had taken by cutting the chicane. I thought I had done what I needed to," Hamilton insisted.

McLaren chief executive Martin Whitmarsh and team engineer Phil Prew also appeared before the Paris hearing, but to no avail.

Had he won his appeal Hamilton would have been seven points clear with just four races left to go.

The Briton has 76 points, just one point ahead of Massa, with Poland's Robert Kubica, of BMW Sauber, on third with 58.
The Following User Says Thank You to sky star 2 For This Useful Post:
Archy® (24-09-2008)