Thread: Formula 1 News
View Single Post
Old 16-09-2008, 13:33  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 14,665 Times in 5,490 Posts

Lewis is a fighter
World Championship leader focused on title fight

Lewis Hamilton believes he is showing all his fighting instincts as his challenge for the world title goes down to the wire.

The 23-year-old drove superbly in the wet conditions of the Italian Grand Prix in Monza after starting in 15th on the grid after choosing the wrong tyres in qualifying.

Hamilton carved through the field but a mistaken weather forecast from the McLaren team meant an unscheduled pit stop for Hamilton and he could then only finish seventh.

At one stage Hamilton was in second place but despite then finishing in seventh, he was happy with his performance on the track.

Despite the conditions, Hamilton produced some scintillating overtaking moves during his charge, and he says it shows his fighting spirit.
Result

"The result was the best we could have hoped for, but it could have been a lot worse," said Hamilton.

"We could have come away with no points and been second in the championship, so to see only a few people in front of me is not so bad, and I feel positive.

"I went forward, no-one overtook me, which is always a nice thing coming out of a race. But then I very rarely do get overtaken.

"But at Monza I showed maturity and that I am a fighting force as well."

Hamilton now holds just a one-point lead over Felipe Massa in the drivers championship with just four races left as again he looks like being involved in another thrilling title race.

McLaren and Hamilton could get a points boost should the appeal against Hamilton's demotion in Belgium go their way on Monday.

Stewards in Belgium demoted Hamilton via a 25-second time penalty for cutting a corner and going ahead of Kimi Raikkonen, although the team have appealed the decision.

Hearing

The FIA International Court of Appeal will hear the case on Monday in Paris as Hamilton prepares for F1's first night race in Singapore, but he is adamant he will not be affected.

"I'm not really thinking about Paris," insisted Hamilton.

"As I've said before, I feel like I won that race, so I've not even bothered to think about it.

"What happened, happened, and I'll move on whatever the result, and then I'll focus on getting more points in the next few races.

"I'll continue to prove that. There's nothing that can put me off or bring me down.

"I certainly don't see it as a distraction, not at all. I'll leave (for Singapore) on that day, so it shouldn't be a problem at all."
The Following User Says Thank You to sky star 2 For This Useful Post:
Archy® (24-09-2008)