Thread: Formula 1 News
View Single Post
Old 28-09-2008, 13:09  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 14,665 Times in 5,490 Posts

Hamilton happy with second
Brit upbeat despite losing pole to Massa

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton insists he is happy to start second on the grid in Sunday's inaugural Singapore Grand Prix.

McLaren driver Hamilton had looked on course to take first place after setting the fastest lap late in the final session on the Marina Bay street circuit.

But Ferrari's Felipe Massa produced a superb final lap to take first place by sixth-tenths of a second from Hamilton.

Kimi Raikkonen, despite having endured a disappointing practice session earlier in the evening, completed a fine qualifying session for Ferrari by claiming third place.

"It was one of those things and I was very fortunate to get through," said Hamilton. "But I'm happy with the result.

"We are not worried. We are in a very strong position and I am quite happy with where I am."

Hamilton, however, conceded that overtaking will be almost impossible on the challenging street circuit tomorrow.

"You won't be able to overtake here," he added. "For the quicker cars if there is not much time difference. We will just do the best job we can tomorrow.
Best shot

"We have just got to play it by ear and give it the best shot we can tomorrow."

Honda's Jenson Button will start in 12th while David Coulthard is two places further back in his Red Bull.

"It is not good to start the race tomorrow in the middle of the pack," said Coulthard.

"The main factors for this track are getting the right tyre and getting your eye in so that you turn at the right point.

"On a track like this you really need miles to get your hand in."