Very slow speeds with VPN

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I have a NordVPN sub and have been happily using it when I need to and speeds have been pretty good.

However, I have changed the provider to Virgin UK and run the hub in modem mode, so I can use my own router.

Without vpn, I am getting speeds of up to 650 mb down and close to 40 mb up.

I did some speed tests with and without the vpn on and found that my speeds plummeted. I know that a vpn will slow things a bit but up to 650 mb down has dropped to around 36 mb down and around 5 mb up.
Surely, something is wrong?
Anyone have any advice to give me?

I am going to try and use different script files in my router to see if that can improve things. I will also try to find a server nearer my location. The one I am currently using just says UK, it doesn't specify an area.

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
not much better with IP Vanish VPN
Without VPN I CAN GET MORE THAN 900MB/s
With VPN and nearest location [ UK ] only 69MB/s
so not a lot better with IP Vanish but good enough to watch Pluto TV as its Still Geo Blocked for me but now available to watch totally Free with VPN pointed to UK : )

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I have now tested other servers, and it's pretty much the same.

Pity, as I was hoping to have the VPN running 24/7, but I won't bother now and only activate it if I really need to.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
I dont use any apps for my VPN usage i use my router. Im on 200mb i dont loose too much.

Im with Nord this is my speed test Client 1 is my UK Nord selection.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I dont use any apps for my VPN usage i use my router. Im on 200mb i dont loose too much.

Im with Nord this is my speed test Client 1 is my UK Nord selection.

I don't use an app either. I upload a script to my router that is downloaded from Nordvpn.

How do you select 'client 1'?
I just see Nordvpn recommendations for me.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Depends on the router your using yours may not have the option, on my Asus i can have 8 clients so i use 8 different locations to suit my needs.

My router is an Asus RT AC86 running Merlin firmware.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
Depends on the router your using yours may not have the option, on my Asus i can have 8 clients so i use 8 different locations to suit my needs.

My router is an Asus RT AC86 running Merlin firmware.

I also have an Asus router. AC3200 and running Merlin firmware.

I see what you mean now by client. I thought you were able to select a specific server nearest to your location to improve speed, but you just have a selection of country based servers.

Dropping from up to 650 mb down to around 40 mb or less is not what I expected.

When with Sly, I had up to 80 mb service and with vpn it dropped to around 50mb which was ok.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
I also have an Asus router. AC3200 and running Merlin firmware.

I see what you mean now by client. I thought you were able to select a specific server nearest to your location to improve speed, but you just have a selection of country based servers.

Dropping from up to 650 mb down to around 40 mb or less is not what I expected.

When with Sly, I had up to 80 mb service and with vpn it dropped to around 50mb which was ok.

London is not what id call local to me lol. I dont drop that much with Servers in Europe i can still see above 100mb.

I do know that some ISP's throttle VPN routes.

And from memory your CPU is 1ghz dual core do i have that right ? Mine is 1.8 ghz dual core and CPU speed with VPN matters the quicker it is the faster it can encrypt or decrypt giving you fast speeds the 86u can also do this on the fly putting less strain on the CPU.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
London is not what id call local to me lol. I dont drop that much with Servers in Europe i can still see above 100mb.

I do know that some ISP's throttle VPN routes.

I am wondering if it is Virgin Uk that is making my speeds slow with a VPN.

I am going to test a few other vpn's when I have the time.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Im with Virgin

And from memory your CPU is 1ghz dual core do i have that right ? Mine is 1.8 ghz dual core and CPU speed with VPN matters the quicker it is the faster it can encrypt or decrypt giving you fast speeds the 86u can also do this on the fly putting less strain on the CPU.