Formula 1 News

sky star 2

Super VIP
Bourdais - I'm shocked
Frenchman considering taking legal action

Sebastien Bourdais has said he is considering taking legal action after being dropped by Toro Rosso.

The Italian team confirmed on Thursday that they had released the Frenchman who, according to team principal Franz Tost, had "not met our expectations".

Despite winning four consecutive Champ Car titles in the United States, the 30-year-old has scored a mere six points in 27 grands prix over the past two seasons.

He has also been outperformed by his team-mates - Sebastian Vettel in 2008 and Sebastien Buemi this season - but has nevertheless said he thinks the team have breached the terms of his contract.

"I am very disappointed and shocked by the decision taken by Toro Rosso of not allowing me to drive for the team until the end of the current season," Bourdais said.

"I consider that in doing so, Toro Rosso has breached its contractual duties towards me.

"I also believe nothing in my behaviour would legitimate a decision of the team to terminate the contract.

"I think the team's decision is in clear violation of Toro Rosso's obligations under the agreement.

"I have instructed my lawyers to review the situation, including the possibility of issuing legal proceedings."
Upgrade

Toro Rosso's decision comes just as they introduce a major upgrade to their Ferrari-powered STR4 for next weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix, something Bourdais believes he could exploit.

"I am even more frustrated by the team's decision considering it has been taken immediately before the Hungarian Grand Prix where a new, highly competitive racing package will be introduced in order to try and overcome current difficulties," he added.

"I am convinced if I was given the chance to race with such a new package I would have had the opportunity to achieve satisfactory results."

Bourdais also insisted his "motivation is intact" and that he remains committed to Formula One, but it is almost certain Spanish teenager Jaime Alguersuari will take the seat in Budapest.

sky star 2

Super VIP
More surgery for Webber
German Grand Prix winner needs another leg operation

Mark Webber is to undergo further surgery on the leg he broke last year after next weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix.

Webber, who finally scored his first grand prix win in Germany last weekend, will have screws removed from his right leg.

There are four weeks between the Hungarian race and the European Grand Prix at Valencia on August 23 to allow the Australian time to recover.

The 32-year-old, who broke his leg after a cycling accident in Tasmania, will have further surgery post-season to remove the pin inserted into the leg.

"The titanium rod is coming out only after the season and then the bump (on the lower leg) will disappear," Webber said.

Webber admitted the injury, suffered when he was hit by a car while competing in his charity challenge, had cost him early in the season.

"I think I was kidding myself a bit," Webber said. "It is absolutely clear that the leg was a long way from healed and it was still broken.

"It was just the metal holding it in place so it has come a long way since then."

The Red Bull driver currently stands 22.5 points behind Jenson Button in the drivers' championship after nine of the season's 17 races.
Team player

Meanwhile, Red Bull are set to start talks with Webber in order to extend his contract beyond the current season.

Team boss Christian Horner is keen to ensure the continuation of what is proving to be a formidable partnership with team-mate Sebastian Vettel.

"Mark is doing a great job and he is a great team player," Horner told autosport.com.

"We have got a very good balance in the team and we will get around to talking to him about his contract shortly, but he is a very valued member of the team."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Theissen - Drivers not to blame
Team boss praises "very professional" reaction to difficult season

BMW Sauber team boss Mario Theissen has said drivers Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld "bear no blame" for the team's dismal season.

Much was expected of the Swiss-German outfit this year after a stellar 2008 season, which brought a breakthrough race win and third place in the Constructors' Championship.

However, they have failed to deliver thus far during 2009, with Kubica and Heidfeld having scored just eight points between them as they struggle with the team's F1.09 chassis.

Thiessen, though, has insisted the team's backward step in no way reflects the ability of either driver and said both were striving to help improve the situation.

"The drivers bear no blame here," he told the team's official website.

"If we could provide them with a car, with which they could compete at the front of the field, then they would be doing just that. They have proven this often enough in the past

"Both Nick and Robert have handled the situation in a very professional manner.

"They are working intensively together with the engineers, discussing ways of solving the problems and, like everyone else in the team, are striving to finally get the team back to the top of the sport."
Sense

With the season having just passed its halfway point, Theissen also denied that BMW Sauber will cut their losses and concentrate instead on next year's car.

"We are already working on a new (2010) car, but it makes absolutely no sense to stop developing this car," he explained.

"Firstly, there are no dramatic changes to the regulations regarding aerodynamics. This means that everything we learn from what is still a new concept can be carried over to next year.

"Secondly, there is a ban on testing.

"If we stop developing the car in order to concentrate on the new one, then we can only develop behind closed doors. We would miss out on the opportunity to drive on the track.

"For that reason, it makes sense to continue to further develop this car as much as possible. The race weekends are our only test, so we must use these opportunities."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Todt to run for FIA top job
Mosley's proposed successor confirms his candidacy

Former Ferrari team boss Jean Todt has confirmed that he is to run for the presidency of the FIA.

The announcement came 24 hours after current incumbent Max Mosley said he would not be seeking a fifth term in office and instead proposed the 63-year-old Frenchman as his successor.

He will run against former World Rally champion Ari Vatanen, who announced his candidacy last week, with the election due to be held on October 23.

Todt said: "Following the decision of Max Mosley not to seek a further term of office and his unequivocal support of my candidacy, I have written to the FIA membership to inform them that I wish to stand for the presidency of the FIA.

"It is my intention to continue and expand the outstanding work of president Mosley, who for 16 years has worked tirelessly to strengthen the FIA's major motor sport championships and to position the FIA as the voice of the motoring public, actively promoting safe, clean and affordable mobility for all."

As part of a 22-strong 'cabinet', Todt has proposed Brian Gibbons, chief executive of the New Zealand Automobile Association, as deputy president for mobility; Graham Stoker, chairman of the council of the UK's Motor Sports Association, as deputy president for sport; and Nick Craw, current FIA deputy president (sport), as president of the Senate.

Todt added: "I am confident that together we will offer the FIA the opportunity to elect a dynamic leadership team of outstanding experience and commitment."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Bourdais exit confirmed
Team boss says "partnership has not met our expectations"

Toro Rosso have confirmed they have parted ways with Sebastien Bourdais.

The Italian team cited the failure of the Frenchman to realise his potential as the reason for his departure.

Team principal Franz Tost said: "In Sebastien's second year with us, the partnership has not met our expectations.

"Therefore we have decided to replace him as from the next round of the world championship, the Hungarian Grand Prix."

After emerging as a star in the United States - Bourdais won four successive ChampCar titles between 2004 to 2007 - he joined the Red Bull-backed Toro Rosso team last season.

However, Bourdais scored just six points from the 27 grands prix in which he competed.

Last year he was overshadowed by the emergence of Sebastian Vettel, who scored a dream win for the team - more often than not also-rans - in the Italian Grand Prix.

The 30-year-old also suffered his fair share of bad luck, however - Bourdais qualifying fourth at Monza before a mechanical problem on the grid scuppered his chances of challenging his team-mate.
Second best

He was made to sweat by Toro Rosso during the winter - being confirmed for the current season only one month before it was due to start - but again found himself second best, this time to Sebastien Buemi.

The Swiss rookie out-qualified his more experienced team-mate seven races to two, with Bourdais' swansong at last weekend's German Grand Prix resulting in retirement.

Spanish teenager Jaime Alguersuari is the favourite to replace Bourdais, although Toro Rosso will not announce a replacement until shortly before the Hungarian Grand Prix.

The reigning British F3 champion, a product of Red Bull's Young Driver Development programme, is set to become the youngest driver to race in F1.

Alguersuari would take his place in the record books at the age of 19 years and 126 days, beating the current record, set by New Zealander Mike Thackwell at the 1980 Canadian Grand Prix, by 57 days.

sky star 2

Super VIP
MOSLEY NOT TO STAND FOR RE-ELECTION

Max Mosley has confirmed he will not be standing for re-election as FIA president later this year, proposing former Ferrari team principal Jean Todt as his successor.

Mosley had suggested he would keep his options open after becoming infuriated by comments made by Ferrari president and FOTA chairman Luca di Montezemolo in the wake of a peace pact being agreed three weeks ago.

But in a letter sent on Wednesday to all member clubs of motor sport's world governing body, Mosley has made it clear his 16-year reign will come to an end in October this year.

The 69-year-old has revealed he received 100 messages of support urging him to stand again, citing them as "deeply rewarding" and for which he was "very grateful".

But with a new Concorde Agreement close to being signed, and in respect to his family - in particular losing son Alexander to drug abuse just over two months ago - Mosley has decided to call it a day.

In the letter Mosley said: "From a personal point of view it would be very difficult for me to change my mind and stand again.

"I began some months ago to re-arrange my family life with effect from next October. I also informed senior FIA staff I would not be a candidate.

"To continue now would greatly complicate my domestic arrangements and be inconsistent with my obligations to my family, particularly after our recent loss.

"Also, I have felt for some time I would like to work less. After all, I will be 70 next year.

"Therefore, with these new arrangements in place, extremely grateful though I am for all the letters, emails and messages I have received, I have decided to reconfirm my decision.

"I will not be a candidate in October."

Mosley, who will continue to have a place on the FIA Senate, has decided to offer his full support to Todt.

It will be an unpopular move with the Formula One teams as the 63-year-old Frenchman is far from a particularly well-liked character.

In his letter, Mosley added: "I believe the objectives of those who have been kind enough to support me can be achieved if you elect a strong, experienced and competent team, one which will maintain the independence of the FIA, and ensure both the sport and mobility side are properly run.

"I believe the right person to head that team would be Jean Todt.

"Jean is unquestionably the outstanding motorsport manager of his generation, and arguably of any generation.

"If he agrees to stand, I think he would be the ideal person to continue, but also to extend the work of the past 16 years.

"He can be relied on in all areas where the FIA is active. I very much hope you will give him your support."

Mosley also dismissed suggestions Todt would be neither impartial nor independent given his background, most notably with Ferrari.

"I must emphasise, he would not in any way be a motor industry candidate," insisted Mosley.

"He would have no special relationship with his former company, Ferrari, nor with Peugeot Citroen, the manufacturer behind his former World Rally, Cross-Country and Le Mans teams.

"He would preserve the independence of the FIA."

If Todt decides to stand he will be up against former World Rally champion Ari Vatanen after the 57-year-old Finn announced his candidature last week.

sky star 2

Super VIP
MOSLEY NOT TO STAND FOR RE-ELECTION

Max Mosley has confirmed he will not be standing for re-election as FIA president later this year, proposing former Ferrari team principal Jean Todt as his successor.

Mosley had suggested he would keep his options open after becoming infuriated by comments made by Ferrari president and FOTA chairman Luca di Montezemolo in the wake of a peace pact being agreed three weeks ago.

But in a letter sent on Wednesday to all member clubs of motor sport's world governing body, Mosley has made it clear his 16-year reign will come to an end in October this year.

The 69-year-old has revealed he received 100 messages of support urging him to stand again, citing them as "deeply rewarding" and for which he was "very grateful".

But with a new Concorde Agreement close to being signed, and in respect to his family - in particular losing son Alexander to drug abuse just over two months ago - Mosley has decided to call it a day.

In the letter Mosley said: "From a personal point of view it would be very difficult for me to change my mind and stand again.

"I began some months ago to re-arrange my family life with effect from next October. I also informed senior FIA staff I would not be a candidate.

"To continue now would greatly complicate my domestic arrangements and be inconsistent with my obligations to my family, particularly after our recent loss.

"Also, I have felt for some time I would like to work less. After all, I will be 70 next year.

"Therefore, with these new arrangements in place, extremely grateful though I am for all the letters, emails and messages I have received, I have decided to reconfirm my decision.

Mosley, who will continue to have a place on the FIA Senate, has decided to offer his full support to Todt.

It will be an unpopular move with the Formula One teams as the 63-year-old Frenchman is far from a particularly well-liked character.

In his letter, Mosley added: "I believe the objectives of those who have been kind enough to support me can be achieved if you elect a strong, experienced and competent team, one which will maintain the independence of the FIA, and ensure both the sport and mobility side are properly run.

"I believe the right person to head that team would be Jean Todt.

"Jean is unquestionably the outstanding motorsport manager of his generation, and arguably of any generation.

"If he agrees to stand, I think he would be the ideal person to continue, but also to extend the work of the past 16 years.

"He can be relied on in all areas where the FIA is active. I very much hope you will give him your support."

Mosley also dismissed suggestions Todt would be neither impartial nor independent given his background, most notably with Ferrari.

"I must emphasise, he would not in any way be a motor industry candidate," insisted Mosley.

"He would have no special relationship with his former company, Ferrari, nor with Peugeot Citroen, the manufacturer behind his former World Rally, Cross-Country and Le Mans teams.

"He would preserve the independence of the FIA."

If Todt decides to stand he will be up against former World Rally champion Ari Vatanen after the 57-year-old Finn announced his candidature last week.

sky star 2

Super VIP
TODT: NOT A POPULAR CHOICE

Max Mosley may have confirmed he will not stand for re-election as FIA president, but in proposing Jean Todt as his successor, the 69-year-old has opened up a whole new can of worms.

Todt has yet to officially announce his candidature, but in receiving a glowing reference from Mosley, the Frenchman will now be viewed as favourite to take up the post on October 23.

Such a prospect, however, will be viewed with disdain by many of the Formula One teams given Todt is far from a particularly well-liked character.

Yet in a letter written on Wednesday to the FIA member clubs announcing the end of his 16-year reign, Mosley has called on them to "elect a strong, experienced and competent team".

"I believe the right person to head that team would be Jean Todt," continued Mosley.

On one hand the Formula One Teams' Association have finally managed to rid themselves of Mosley, yet on the other now face the prospect of being governed by Todt.

Following the agreement of a peace pact last month between the FIA and FOTA, the latter's vice-chairman, John Howett, spelled out the wishes of his organisation.

Howett said the new president should be "somebody who is independent, perhaps independent from any of us either currently or historically".

Although veiled, the message at the time was clear - that the 63-year-old Todt was not wanted given his previous links with Ferrari.

During his 15 years as team principal Todt was highly successful, helping Michael Schumacher win five drivers' titles from 2000-2004, and the team claim six constructors' championships.

Up until just over a year ago Todt was also CEO at Ferrari, but it is understood his tenure ended acrimoniously following a fall-out with president, and current FOTA chairman, Luca di Montezemolo.

Of late, Todt has been involved in road safety and environmental campaigns with the FIA, whilst some would say also being groomed as replacement by Mosley, who is to retain a role on the FIA Senate.

Certainly, the one man who has so far announced he is to stand in former World Rally champion Ari Vatanen, would appear to have his work cut out to be elected.

Part of the election process is that each candidate must also name a 22-strong 'cabinet' to work alongside him in various positions within the FIA hierarchy.

Todt will almost certainly be able to draw on Mosley's present team, whilst Vatanen would have to seek out different figures who perhaps would not be as influential.

The 57-year-old Finn, though, certainly spoke well on his visit to the paddock at the Nurburgring ahead of last weekend's German Grand Prix.

Vatanen cited the need for change, and expressed his wish to unify and reconcile the FIA in the wake of a turbulent period for the Federation.

Yet Mosley maintained, that despite his background, Todt would be impartial, and that he "would preserve the independence of the FIA".

Mosley added: "I must emphasise, he would not in any way be a motor industry candidate.

"He would have no special relationship with his former company, Ferrari, nor with Peugeot Citroen, the manufacturer behind his former World Rally, Cross-Country and Le Mans teams."

Mosley has opted not to run again given a new Concorde Agreement to secure F1's future is close to being signed.

He also made personal promises to his family, in particular after losing son Alexander to drug abuse just over two months ago.

Mosley said: "From a personal point of view it would be very difficult for me to change my mind and stand again.

sky star 2

Super VIP
BOURDAIS AXED BY TORO ROSSO

Sebastien Bourdais' Formula One career with Toro Rosso has officially come to an end.

Bourdais' failure to realise his potential has been cited as the reason why the team have decided to release the Frenchman.

Team principal Franz Tost said: "In Sebastien's second year with us, the partnership has not met our expectations.

"Therefore we have decided to replace him as from the next round of the World Championship, the Hungarian Grand Prix."

The 30-year-old arrived in F1 in 2008 after winning four successive ChampCar titles in the United States from 2004 to 2007.

However, Bourdais scored just six points from the 27 grands prix in which he competed.

Last year he was overshadowed by Sebastian Vettel, who gave the Italian-based team a dream win in the Italian Grand Prix.

This season, Bourdais again found himself second best to Swiss rookie Sebastien Buemi, who out-qualified his more experienced team-mate seven races to two.

Toro Rosso are to announce Bourdais' replacement shortly before next weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix, with rising young Spanish star Jaime Alguersuari the favourite to take up the seat.

The reigning British F3 champion, a product of Red Bull's Young Driver Development programme, is set to become the youngest to race in F1.

Alguersuari would take his place in the record books at the age of 19 years and 126 days, beating New Zealander Mike Thackwell's record by 57 days set in the 1980 Canadian Grand Prix.

sky star 2

Super VIP
TODT WANTS FIA JOB

Jean Todt has has confirmed his candidature for the role of FIA president.

Todt's announcement comes 24 hours after Max Mosley stated he would not be running for a fifth term in office, instead proposing the 63-year-old Frenchman as his successor.

The former Ferrari team principal now faces a straight fight with former world rally champion Ari Vatanen for the role ahead of the election due to be held on October 23.

Todt said: "Following the decision of Max Mosley not to seek a further term of office and his unequivocal support of my candidacy, I have written to the FIA membership to inform them that I wish to stand for the presidency of the FIA.

"It is my intention to continue and expand the outstanding work of president Mosley, who for 16 years has worked tirelessly to strengthen the FIA's major motor sport championships and to position the FIA as the voice of the motoring public, actively promoting safe, clean and affordable mobility for all."

As part of a 22-strong 'cabinet', Todt has proposed Brian Gibbons, chief executive of the New Zealand Automobile Association, as deputy president for mobility; Graham Stoker, chairman of the council of the UK's Motor Sports Association, as deputy president for sport; and Nick Craw, current FIA deputy president (sport), as president of the Senate.

Todt added: "I am confident that together we will offer the FIA the opportunity to elect a dynamic leadership team of outstanding experience and commitment."

sky star 2

Super VIP
MOSLEY MAKES BAD CALL ON TODT

Talk about pulling the pin, lobbing in a hand grenade and running away.

After confirming he will not be standing for re-election as FIA president, Max Mosley then proceeded to espouse the virtues of Jean Todt as his successor.

Mosley described Todt, who on Thursday confirmed his candidacy, as "unquestionably the outstanding motorsport manager of his generation, and arguably of any generation".

Hold on a second, this is the same Jean Todt who, in his role as Peugeot rally boss, tossed a coin to decide who would triumph in the 1989 Paris-Dakar event.

Todt wanted a Peugeot winner, but did not want team-mates Jacky Ickx and Ari Vatanen - by a strange quirk of fate the man he will be going up against for the presidency - fighting it out to the end.

This is also the same Jean Todt who, throughout his time as Ferrari team principal, orchestrated many a finish in favour of Michael Schumacher.

Never more so than the infamous Austrian Grand Prix of 2002 when race leader Rubens Barrichello was told to allow Schumacher by, doing so just before the finish line on the final lap.

The furore and embarrassment that followed ultimately resulted in the FIA issuing a ban on team orders.

If that is 'outstanding motorsport management' perhaps I should announce myself as a candidate for the top job at the FIA.

Although helping Schumacher to win five drivers' titles and Ferrari six constructors' championships, his morals hardly seem based on sporting values or ethics.

It is to this end the Formula One teams do not want Todt in charge as the fear is little would change, a case of hardly being able to see the join of where Mosley's 16-year reign ends on October 23, and should that be the date when Todt's begins.

The 63-year-old Frenchman is not a popular character in F1, and one wonders how Ferrari president and Formula One Teams Association chairman Luca di Montezemolo must be feeling today knowing Todt could be in charge of the sport.

The two men are understood to have suffered a major fallout which brought about the end of Todt's time at Ferrari last year where he had taken on the role of CEO after his lengthy tenure as team boss.

So now the fight begins - Todt vs Vatanen - and given the former has the support of Mosley, you feel for the underdog on this occasion.

You can tell it is the silly season because all of a sudden over the past couple of weeks people with nothing better to do have started linking x driver with y team.

One of the more fanciful suggested during the course of the German Grand Prix weekend was that of World Rally champion Sebastien Loeb joining Toro Rosso.

Maybe it's the fact he is called Sebastien - bearing in mind we've had Vettel (albeit spelled 'an' at the end), Bourdais and Buemi in the car for that team - that prompted the question asked of him.

At the Nurburgring, the rumour-mill was rife Bourdais was facing his last grand prix - and so it proved with confirmation today from Toro Rosso that they have parted company - resulting in Loeb's name being linked.

Aside from stating he is not fit enough to race in F1, two of the remaining rallies clash with grands prix, and his Citroen team boss Olivier Quesnel shot the story down in flames, hey, it was a goer.

Rising Spanish star Jaime Alguersuari is due to be confirmed in the seat ahead of next weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix, but that is not to say Loeb might not get his chance later down the line.

He has driven an F1 car before, has tested as recently as two weeks ago in the Toro Rosso simulator, and then there is the fact Citroen and the Faenza-based squad are both sponsored by Red Bull.

The last rally of the season also takes place a week before the final grand prix in Abu Dhabi, an untried track where Loeb will have more of a chance against the established stars.

What the heck. It's the silly season. Loeb to race in Abu Dhabi then?

And to end on a light note this week, Michael Schumacher is alive and well, and currently serving up fine food in Toyota's motorhome.

No, it's not a case of how far the seven-times world champion has fallen, but Toyota's top chef just happens to share the same name.

Bearing in mind F1 Michael's brother Ralf used to drive for Toyota, how much ribbing must cook Michael have to endure?

sky star 2

Super VIP
TODT VOWS TO GIVE SOMETHING BACK

Jean Todt has vowed "to give something back" should he be elected as president of the FIA.

After being soundly endorsed on Wednesday by outgoing president Max Mosley, former Ferrari team principal Todt on Thursday confirmed he is to stand for the election on October 23.

Todt, who faces a straight fight with former World Rally champion Ari Vatanen, now becomes favourite to succeed 69-year-old Mosley.

In setting out his mandate in a letter to the FIA member clubs, Todt intends "to offer continuity, but also to encourage change to meet the new challenges facing the sport and motoring in the years ahead."

Todt feels the FIA must be ready to shape and encourage a new era of global mobility and motor sport, and is ready to promote three major themes to his leadership: affordability and competition; innovation and excellence; team-work and co-operation.

Many critics would assess 'co-operation' has far from been top of Mosley's agenda over the years given what has been perceived as his autocratic style of governance.

Todt can at least call on a distinguished career in motor sport, if not tainted by team order controversies, which started in 1966 when he was a rally co-driver.

Over the years he has worked for many of the major manufacturers - BMW, FIAT, Ford, Maserati, Matra, Mercedes, Nissan, Peugeot Citroen, Renault, Toyota, and most notably Ferrari.

Under his leadership his teams have won four world rally titles, two Le Mans 24 hours victories, one world sports car championship, four victories in the Paris-Dakar, 13 Formula One world titles and 98 grands prix.

Todt remarked: "I have been very fortunate in my career to have enjoyed considerable success in motor sport and benefit from the hard work of previous leaders of the FIA in creating a global platform on which to compete.

"I feel that for me the time is now right to give something back to the sport and the FIA's clubs that have given me so much.

"I would also like to assist my colleagues from the mobility clubs in their important work representing the motoring public.

"For these reasons I am enthusiastic and excited to serve as president of the FIA."

As part of a 22-strong 'cabinet', Todt has proposed Brian Gibbons, Graham Stoker and Nick Craw as deputy president for mobility, sport and president of the FIA Senate respectively.

At present Gibbons is chief executive of the New Zealand Automobile Association, Stoker the chairman of the council of the UK's Motor Sports Association, with Craw the current FIA deputy president for sport.

sky star 2

Super VIP
BOURDAIS CONSIDERS LEGAL ACTION

A "shocked" Sebastien Bourdais is considering taking legal action after being dumped by Toro Rosso.

Team boss Franz Tost confirmed earlier on Thursday the team had released Bourdais as the partnership had "not met our expectations."

The 30-year-old certainly disappointed during his 18 months with the Italian-based team, winning a mere six points from 27 grands prix.

Last year the Frenchman found himself overshadowed by Sebastian Vettel, and despite being given a second chance this season, has struggled against 20-year-old Swiss rookie Sebastien Buemi.

Bourdais, though, considers the team have breached the terms of his contract, and is now looking at taking the matter further.

"I am very disappointed and shocked by the decision taken by Toro Rosso of not allowing me to drive for the team until the end of the current season," remarked Bourdais.

"I consider that in doing so, Toro Rosso has breached its contractual duties towards me.

"I also believe nothing in my behaviour would legitimate a decision of the team to terminate the contract.

"I think the team's decision is in clear violation of Toro Rosso's obligations under the agreement.

"I have instructed my lawyers to review the situation, including the possibility of issuing legal proceedings."

Bourdais felt with the team to introduce a considerable upgrade at the next grand prix in Hungary next week that he deserved a chance to prove himself with the new car.

"I am even more frustrated by the team's decision considering it has been taken immediately before the Hungarian Grand Prix where a new, highly competitive racing package will be introduced in order to try and overcome current difficulties," added Bourdais.

"I am convinced if I was given the chance to race with such a new package I would have had the opportunity to achieve satisfactory results."

Bourdais insists his "motivation is intact" and that he remains committed to Formula One, but it is almost certain rising Spanish star Jaime Jaime Alguersuari will be in the car in Budapest.

The reigning British F3 champion, a product of Red Bull's Young Driver Development programme, is due to become the youngest to race in F1.

Alguersuari would take his place in the record books at the age of 19 years and 126 days, beating New Zealander Mike Thackwell's record by 57 days set in the 1980 Canadian Grand Prix.

sky star 2

Super VIP
WEBBER SET FOR SURGERY

Mark Webber will undergo further surgery on the leg he broke last year after the upcoming Hungarian Grand Prix.

Webber, who ended his Formula One winning drought in Germany last weekend, needs to have screws removed from his right leg during the traditional summer break.

There are four weeks between next week's Hungarian race and the European Grand Prix at Valencia on August 23, allowing the Australian time to recover. He will have further surgery in the off-season to remove the pin inserted into the leg after the cycling accident in Tasmania.

"The titanium rod is coming out only after the season and then the bump (on the lower leg) will disappear," Webber told reporters.

Webber admitted the injury, suffered when he was hit by a car while competing in his charity challenge, had cost him early in the season after he spent most of the off-season off the leg.

"I think I was kidding myself a bit," Webber said. "It is absolutely clear that the leg was a long way from healed and it was still broken.

"It was just the metal holding it in place so it has come a long way since then."

Webber is 22.5 points behind Jenson Button in the race for the drivers' championship after nine of the 17 races, with his Red Bull team now dominant after winning the past three races.

sky star 2

Super VIP
PIQUET WILL RACE IN HUNGARY

Nelson Piquet will race in Hungary despite rumours claiming Renault are on the verge of sacking him.

Following the German GP, yet another race without a single World Championship point, rumours of Piquet's pending axing gained momentum - and team boss Flavio Briatore did nothing to silence them.

Asked earlier this week whether the 23-year-old would retain his race-seat for the Hungarian GP, Briatore told Autosport: "I don't know. Maybe I am in the car myself..."

The team, though, has now confirmed that Piquet will race in Budapest, where he hopes Renault's new upgrades will assist him in netting his first points of the campaign.

"I should have the same upgrades as Fernando (Alonso) in Hungary and I think I can be more competitive. As always I will be aiming to qualify in the top ten and hopefully score some points in the race," the Brazilian said.

"Qualifying will be vital as it's so tough to overtake at the Hungaroring because the braking zones are small and it's very dirty offline, so it's important that we concentrate on getting the most from Saturday."

sky star 2

Super VIP
HILL HITS BACK

Bernie Ecclestone's suggestion that Silverstone and Donington Park rotate the British Grand Prix has not gone down well with Damon Hill, president of the British Racing Drivers' Club.

Donington was last year awarded British GP hosting rights from 2010, but with less than a year to go before their first race, the owners of the track are struggling to come up with £80 million to revamp the circuit.

Formula One chief Ecclestone has on several occasions threatened to axe the 2010 British GP if Donington can't get its act together.

However, he has appeared to soften his stance in recent months and there have been whispers that Silverstone will again play host to the race in 2010.

Ecclestone suggested to The Independent on Sunday that Donington and Silverstone could share the race if the owners of the Northamptonshire track go ahead with plans to improve the circuit.

"If they don't do it, Donington will get together with Silverstone," he said.

"If Silverstone do all the things they promised me they are going to do, we are going to be at Silverstone."

Unfortunately for Ecclestone the owners of Silverstone, the BRDC, has made it clear that they want host the race on a full-time basis and Hill sees the suggestion as an "insult".

"I am not in favour of rotating it. I think it's an insult," Hill said. "It's another absurd step to try and squeeze as much profit and as much benefit for the commercial rights-holder. It's not a long-term strategy.

"I'm in favour of the contract for the British Grand Prix being negotiated with Silverstone because I don't believe that the Donington project is viable."

sky star 2

Super VIP
HORNER REITERATES RED BULL STANCE

Christian Horner has once again stressed that Red Bull will not be choosing a favourite in the fight for this year's World title.

With eight races remaining in the Championship, Red Bull's two drivers, Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber, are second and third in the standings with just 1.5 points separating the two.

But aside from their points in the standings, both have also proven they can win grands prix, with Vettel claiming two wins to Webber's one.

And as such Horner believes it would be unjust at this stage of the game to pick one over the other in the race for the title.

"We will continue to support both drivers equally," he told the team's website.

"There's only a point and a half between them, so obviously they are both in contention for the Drivers' Championship. There's a long way to go to catch up with Jenson Button.

"If and when we reach a point where there is a significant gap, or it becomes mathematically impossible for one of them to challenge for the Championship, then they are both team players and one of them will play a supporting role should it be required.

"Our intention is to see both of them catch the lead Brawn as quickly as possible."

sky star 2

Super VIP

Profile:

McLaren began life in the mid-1960s competing in their first race in 1966 and securing their first win at Spa in 1968 with founder, Bruce McLaren, at the wheel. Tragically he was to die in a testing accident in 1970, though his racing team went on to make steady progress.

Denny Hulme helped the team to five wins and Peter Revson to two between 1968 and 1973, which laid the foundations for success the following year as McLaren secured their first Drivers' and Constructors' Championships.

The young Brazilian driver Emerson Fittipaldi edged out Clay Regazzoni for the Drivers' Title by three points, with three wins in the season and, while with team-mate Hulme grabbing another the Constructors' was won too.

There was more success for McLaren in 1976 when James Hunt won the Drivers' Championship in teeming rain at the final race at Mount Fiji, beating Ferrari's Niki Lauda by a single point. Ferrari, however, would hold onto the Constructors' Title that year.

The team then suffered a lapse in form with no GP wins between October 1977 and July 1981 when John Watson finally ended the drought at Silverstone.

Under new administration (enter Ron Dennis and Mansour Ojjeh), the renamed McLaren International team went on to dominate much of the 1980s and early 1990s.

After ending their long association with Ford, which dated back to 1970, McLaren were now powered by the TAG-Porsche engine and they went on to win the 1984 and 1985 Constructors' Championship with drivers Niki Lauda and Alain Prost winning the Drivers' Championship in the respective years. Although they lost Constructors' honours to Williams in 1986 and 1987, Alain Prost still took the Drivers' Championship in 1986.

However, the best was still to come for McLaren. 1988 was the zenith of their power, as the team, now with the Honda engine, won all but one of the races that season and stormed to the championship.

Only the Italian GP at Monza eluded them after Drivers' Champion-elect Ayrton Senna crashed with just two laps to go. The team went on to record another three consecutive Constructors' Championships to make it four in a row between 1988 and 1991 with Senna and Prost securing the respective drivers' titles.

This is the best-ever run for one team in F1 history. However, their dominance was brought to an end by Williams as they won both the 1992 Constructors' and Drivers' Championships with Nigel Mansell the star.

Soon McLaren were struggling to find any form and after Senna's win at Adelaide in 1993, the team did not record a GP win for three consecutive seasons. After a series of uncompetitive Peugeot and Ford engines, in 1995 McLaren signed a deal with Mercedes and it proved the beginning of a revival.

Yet they would have to wait until the start of the 1997 season for David Coulthard to end the drought at Melbourne. In 1998 all the pieces fell into place for McLaren as they secured the Constructors' Championship with nine wins and the Drivers' Championship for Mika Hakkinen. Whilst in 1999, despite some rare moments of madness from the flying Finn, McLaren won the Drivers' Championship yet again, though arch rivals Ferrari took the Constructors' honours.

With Daimler-Chrysler having purchased 40 percent of the company, McLaren were odds-on favourites to take their third successive Drivers' title in 2000, as well as reclaiming the Constructors' Championship lost to Ferrari in 1999.

However from the outset of the 2000 season it was clear that Ferrari meant business. Poor reliability and indifferent performances from Hakkinen left McLaren trailing the Italian team by almost 30 points after just three rounds but as the season progressed, the Woking team fought back with Hakkinen and Coulthard grabbing a string of mid-season victories.

The strength of the Ferrari effort together with a pair of questionable decisions by the sport's governing body meant McLaren could only manage the runners-up spot in both Championships.

In 2001, McLaren retained Hakkinen and Coulthard for a record sixth successive season, but once again they failed to set the track ablaze. The relative failure of 2000 continued, with the team only managing four victories - two for DC and two for Hakkinen, who announced during the season that he would not be returning to the team in 2002 (his sabbatical subsequently turned into retirement).

The gloom deepened in 2002 - the Mercedes engine was down on power and the lack of engine development was put down to the tragic death of Ilmor founder Paul Morgan in a 2001 plane crash. Coulthard won in Monaco courtesy of some nifty pits-to-car telemetry and Raikkonen was very unlucky not to get a maiden win in France, spinning on oil with just two laps to go.

But the significant moves of the year were technical.

The team signed up BMW's Werner Laurenz, Arrows' Mike Coughlan and Ferrari's John Sutton to create a formidable technical team for the 2003 season, a campaign they planned to start with the MP4-17D before swapping to the MP4-18 when the European leg began. However the MP4-18, hit by a series of technical failures, never made its debut, and Raikkonen and Coulthard were forced to contend the entire season with the previous year's car. The setback was critical - the impressive Finn finished just two points behind Michael Schumacher.

Hopes were high that the introduction of the MP4-19 would enable Kimi to take the fight to Michael in 2004, but it quickly emerged that it was one of the worst cars in the team's history. Indeed, the start to the season, in which they struggled to score a handful of points in the wretched MP4-19, was statistically their worst since the 1970s.

The introduction of MP4-19B was a blessed relief and propelled Kimi to a fabulous win at Spa, but it was too little, too late.

In 2005, Coulthard was replaced by the volatile and hard-charging Juan-Pablo Montoya, giving McLaren arguably their most exciting driver line-up since the days of Senna and Prost.

Or so we thought. Injured in a "tennis accident" (as the world was told) Montoya missed the Bahrain and San Marino GPs and, although he returned to take victory at Silverstone, he struggled to find his feet. Raikkonen, meanwhile, was dogged by reliability issues.

Although McLaren's MP4-20 was the quickest car on the grid its Mercedes engine was one of the most unreliable, failing Kimi four times during grands prix weekends. He had to settle for runner-up to Fernando Alonso in the Drivers' Championship, while McLaren had to contend with P2 in the teams' battle.

In 2006 McLaren had a lot to play for. Not only did they need to demonstrate to Alonso that the team he was joining the following year was capable of winning titles, but they also needed to find a way to retain Kimi Raikkonen. They failed to do either. In fact, they failed to even win a single grand prix the entire 18-race long season.

McLaren's first race, the Bahrain GP, saw both signs of promise and concern for the Woking team. The concern came from the suspension failure Raikkonen suffered in qualifying, while the promise was shown during the race, which the Finn and team-mate Montoya finished in 3rd and 5th places respectively.

Qualifying continued to be a problem for the team as Raikkonen's P4 on the grid was the best the team managed to achieve in the opening six events as pace let them down time and time again.

McLaren battled on, claiming at least one podium finish over the next three races, but they never looked like winning races. The low point of the team's season came at the United States GP when a first lap incident between Montoya and Raikkonen resulted in a double retirement and a lot of heated debate over who was in the wrong.

Shortly afterwards came the shock announcement that Montoya was quitting the team to switch to NASCAR in 2007. An angry McLaren management team responded by immediately dropping the Colombian, replacing him with Pedro de la Rosa for the French GP. The Spaniard performed admirably, claiming a points-scoring finish in his first race.

With Raikkonen bound for Ferrari and De la Rosa not considered for a full-time promotion, the team began 2007 with double World Champion Fernando Alonso and the highly-rated Lewis Hamilton behind the wheel.

But while the partnership looked great on paper, it proved to be a volatile mix.

The duo fought both on and off the track with the tension already showing between the double World Champion and the rookie at the Monaco GP when Hamilton hinted that McLaren wouldn't allow him to challenge Alonso for the win. One race later, though, and it was Hamilton who was winning, clinching his first grand prix victory in Canada. But when he followed it up with a win at the United States GP, it was Alonso who was shaking his fist and complaining.

A month later and any sense of civility between the two Woking drivers had broken down. During qualifying for the Hungarian GP, Hamilton disobeyed team orders to let Alonso pass him at the start of Qualy 3, while 15 minutes later Alonso deliberately stayed in the pitbox long enough to prevent Hamilton from getting new tyres and getting out in enough time to challenge for the pole position. However, Alonso was the only driver the FIA punished when they demoted him from pole to sixth place on the grid. Hamilton was handed his team-mate's pole. McLaren were also punished by being banned from scoring Constructors' Championship points.

From there it was all-out war between the two Championship contenders who yapped at one another in the press all the way to the end of the season, which saw both drivers fail to win the World title, finishing one point behind Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen.

But aside from their driver feud McLaren had bigger problems to worry about as the Woking team was caught in unauthorised possession of Ferrari's secret technical information. And although Ron Dennis protested his team's innocence throughout the Stepneygate spy scandal, the FIA eventually deemed the Woking team to be in the wrong and kicked them out of the Constructors' Championship as well as handing them a record £50million fine.

McLaren's reputation suffered a severe dent and the team set about rebuilding in 2008. Alonso went back to Renault while Heikki Kovalainen was chosen as the man to partner Hamilton.

The MP4-23 was the car that McLaren hoped would end their eight-year drought for the Drivers' Championship.

The team laid down the marker in the first race in Melbourne where Hamilton led from start to finish. Kovalainen finished fifth after starting from the second row of the grid. However, their arch-rivals Ferrari hit back and won the next four races. Kovalainen claimed his first podium in Malaysia while Hamilton was on the podium in Spain and Turkey.

Hamilton was back to winning in Monaco when he won his first race on the streets of Monte Carlo, but disaster struck in Canada when he drove into the back of Kimi Raikkonen while waiting for the red light to change in the pitlane. That proved to be his only retirement of the season.

The team mastered another couple of firsts at Silverstone where Kovalainen grabbed his maiden pole and Hamilton won his first GP on home soil while Hamilton again led from start to finish in Germany. Kovalainen then won his first grand prix in Hungary.

The race for the Drivers' Championship took a big twist in Belgium where Hamilton crossed the finishing line first after starting on pole. However, he was then handed a retrospective 25-second penalty and was demoted to third place for cutting a chicane and gaining an unfair advantage and whispers of a "conspiracy against McLaren" started again.

McLaren's bosses decided to appeal against the ruling, but the FIA rejected their appeal and the victory went to Hamilton's main title rival Felipe Massa.

Kovalainen claimed his third podium finish at Monza while Hamilton was third in the first-ever night race in Singapore.

While Ferrari had all, but wrapped up the Constructors' Championship at this stage, the Drivers' Championship was down to the wire between Hamilton and Massa.

Hamilton set the tone by claiming pole position in Japan, however he had a miserable race and only finished in 12th place. Massa made contract with Hamilton's McLaren and the Brit was forced to make an unscheduled pit stop. He was then handed a drive-through penalty for pushing Raikkonen off the track. To make matters worse, his old nemesis Alonso went on to win the race.

Hamilton then all but wrapped up his title in China where he claimed the pole position and won the race. However, if he thought he was going to have an easy ride in the final GP he was badly mistaken.

Needing to only finish the race in fifth place to win his maiden Championship, Hamilton found himself in fifth place on the final lap after Massa had already won the race. He pulled out all the stops though to squeeze past Toyota's Timo Glock to claim that all-important fifth-place to become F1's youngest-ever champion and to end McLaren's drought for the World Championship.

In all, McLaren's MP4-23 won six races in 2008, claimed eight pole positions and three fastest laps.

McLaren opted to stick with the Hamilton-Kovalainen combination for the 2009 season. Their new car the MP4-24 was launched on January 16.

However, the launch was overshadowed by Ron Dennis' announcement that he will step down as McLaren team principal after 27 years. The 61-year-old revealed that he will hand over the team boss duties to Martin Whitmarsh from March 1, but he will still have an active role at McLaren.

With Dennis stepping down after a successful season, Whitmarsh will be hoping to start a new era with more trophies in 2009.

sky star 2

Super VIP
McLaren will see out the season with KERS'

McLaren will continue to use KERS right until the season-ending Abu Dhabi GP, according to team boss Martin Whitmarsh.

Of the four teams who started the Championship with the device; McLaren, Ferrari, Renault and BMW; only two ran it at the most recent race in Germany, McLaren and Ferrari.

And, according to Whitmarsh, won't be following Renault and BMW in their decision to drop KERS, saying to do so would necessitate the redesign of their MP4-24.

"If we didn't have KERS, then the overall packaging of the car would change and there would be some pluses from that but overall we have a good benefit," Whitmarsh said.

"It is our intention at the moment to continue running KERS for the rest of the year.

"The alternative strategy is to redesign the whole car without KERS and that takes a lot of resource and frankly would detract from next year's programme."

sky star 2

Super VIP
ALGUERSUARI GIVEN FORMULA ONE CHANCE

Toro Rosso have confirmed Spanish teenager Jaime Alguersuari will drive for the team for the remainder of the 2009 Formula One season.

Alguersuari will become the youngest driver to contest a grand prix in the 59-year history of the sport when he lines up on the grid at next weekend's race in Hungary.

At 19 years and 126 days, Alguersuari will beat the previous record held by Mike Thackwell since 1980 by 57 days.

Alguersuari is a product of the Red Bull Junior Programme and replaces Frenchman Sebastien Bourdais, who was dropped by Toro Rosso after the last round in Germany.

"I would like to thank Red Bull for giving me this great opportunity to race in Formula One," said Alguersuari, who will be team-mate to Swiss youngster Sebastien Buemi.

"Ever since I started racing this has been my dream and thanks to the Red Bull Junior Programme I will now realise my ambition of lining up on a grand prix grid.

"I am aware that I'm facing a very tough challenge, because coming into Formula One is never easy, coming into Formula One in the middle of a season is even harder and doing so without any testing is really difficult.

"But already I feel that I am getting great support from the team."

Alguersuari is the reigning British Formula Three champion and was competing in the World Series by Renault before making the step-up into F1, but team principal Franz Tost admits his new charge will need time to adapt to life at the highest level.

"Red Bull's stated aim for Scuderia Toro Rosso is that, when possible, it should be used to provide a seat for products of its Young Driver Programme," said Tost.

"We therefore chose Alguersuari as the most mature driver currently in the programme. I am well aware that over the next few months the team and Jaime will face a major challenge, especially because of the testing ban.

"But Red Bull is always ready for a new challenge. I do not expect anything from him for at least his first three races, during which he has to get used to the car, the team and to the Formula One environment."