Formula 1 News

sky star 2

Super VIP
VATANEN SLAMS MOSLEY

FIA presidential candidate Ari Vatanen has slammed Max Mosley for nominating Jean Todt as his preferred choice to succeed him at the head of motor sport's world governing body.

The Finnish former World Rally champion has thrown his hat into the ring to replace Mosley when he stands down from his role in October, but will face a stern challenge from former Ferrari team principal Todt, who will receive strong support from within the FIA hierarchy ahead of the election on October 23.

Vatanen, who worked under Todt when the Frenchman was head of Peugeot motorsport, believes his election rival is being presented as the "son of the king", and criticised the FIA for appearing to abandon their democratic principles in this matter.

Speaking to Italian website 422race.com, Vatanen said: "Even though Jean Todt is a good friend of mine, the FIA is not a kingdom, where a king hands over his power.

"It's very wrong that Jean is presented as the son of the king.

"Every single person who sees this says 'This is not right'. The FIA is a republic."

The FIA's recent peace agreement with the Formula One Teams' Association, which averted a breakaway series, remains a fragile one.

It is no secret that the FOTA-aligned teams - Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, BMW Sauber, Brawn GP, Toyota and Renault - are keen to see the back of Mosley, but the potential appointment of Todt would not signal the break with the past being sought by the rebel team bosses.

Vatanen believes the teams and motorsport fans are ready for a new direction after 16 years and four terms of the Mosley presidency, and is adamant the 63-year-old Todt cannot deliver that change.

"I'm sorry to say that, but ... Jean [as president] means that the current FIA would continue and the current system and people would more or less stay in place," Vatanen continued.

"There would be no change and that would be such an injustice to that big majority who want to have a renewed, fair, transparent FIA they can be proud of.

"Who can be proud of the FIA today? Not many people, apart from those who are benefiting from it."

He added: "I do not wish to criticise Max personally, but of course I'm objective when I assess what has happened in the FIA, because FIA is not in a very good health."

sky star 2

Super VIP
HENRY 'COULD HAVE REACHED TOP'

The father of Formula Two driver Henry Surtees, who died after a motor racing accident at Brands Hatch, said his son "had shown himself to be one with the possibilities of reaching the very top".

Henry, the teenage son of 1964 Formula One world champion John Surtees, was airlifted to hospital following the accident at the Kent race circuit on Sunday but died shortly after.

In a statement, Surtees said: "Henry had followed his heart from the time he first sat in a kart.

"He treated seriously the balance between motorsport and school, having just finished his A-Levels.

"The world beckoned and he was thriving on the freedom to concentrate on his motorsport.

"Despite bad luck in his motorsport, he had shown himself to be one with the possibilities of reaching the very top. Despite his young age he had shown maturity, technical understanding and speed.

"Most importantly he was a nice person and a loving son. He will be deeply missed."

Henry Surtees was struck on the head by a wheel and tyre from the car of Jack Clarke, which spun into the wall exiting Westfield Bend during the second of this weekend's races at Brands Hatch, near Swanley.

He was knocked unconscious by the impact and his car collided with the barriers at the following Sheene corner.

A spokesman for Kent Police confirmed the 18-year-old had died.

He added: "Kent Police is not involved because it was a motor racing incident as opposed to anything suspicious.

"It appears it was a tragic accident."

The race was red flagged while Surtees was removed from the car and taken to the medical centre where he was prepared for his transfer to hospital by helicopter.

A spokeswoman for South East Coast Ambulance Service said it attended the incident at 1.30pm on Sunday and a man was airlifted to the Royal London hospital with head injuries.

Surtees claimed his first F2 podium finish on Saturday when he finished third in the weekend's opening race at Brands Hatch.

He secured a drive in F2 over the winter after a breakthrough year in 2008, when he contested the Formula Renault UK Championship and Winter Series, and made his debut in British Formula Three at the final round of the campaign, when he claimed a victory and a podium finish for Carlin in the National Class.

His father is famously the only man to have won world titles on both two and four wheels.

He claimed multiple 500cc motorcycle world championships before winning the F1 crown with Ferrari in 1964.

The 75-year-old also fielded his own Team Surtees cars in F1, F2 and Formula 5000 in the 1970s.

Three-time World Touring Car champion Andy Priaulx also paid tribute to Surtees, adding that his death brought into sharp focus the ever present dangers in motor racing.

"Our sport can be cruel, but never crueller than when it claims a life," said Priaulx, who was at Brands Hatch yesterday contesting the eighth round of the WTCC season for BMW.

"It is a tragedy when this happens and yesterday we witnessed this at Brands Hatch.

"Henry Surtees was a fine young man on the verge of his career in the sport, who I had the pleasure to tutor when he was racing in Formula BMW.

"His death highlights the dangers that we face.

"My heart goes out to his parents, Jane and John Surtees. John is one of my motor racing heroes who has achieved so much over his life in the sport.

"As a driver and also a father of a son who may one day want to follow my footsteps into the sport, it is hard to imagine coming to terms with such a loss."

Motor sport's world governing body, the FIA, also extended its sympathies to the Surtees family in a statement released on Monday morning.

"Following yesterday's tragic accident, the FIA extends its sincere condolences to the family and friends of Henry Surtees," it read. "Our thoughts are with them at this difficult time."

sky star 2

Super VIP
F2 CHIEF LAUNCHES INQUIRY

Formula Two chief executive Jonathan Palmer has confirmed a detailed investigation will be launched into the accident which claimed the life of teenage driver Henry Surtees at Brands Hatch on Sunday.

The son of 1964 Formula One world champion John Surtees died after being struck by the loose wheel from the car of Jack Clarke while travelling at 120mph on the ninth lap of the race at the Kent circuit.

The 18-year-old was knocked unconscious by the impact and his car continued straight on at Sheene Curve, hitting the tyre barrier.

Palmer today confirmed that the fatal injury occurred in the collision with the wheel and that the impact at the following corner did not contribute to his death.

With the race red-flagged, Surtees was removed from the car, stabilised and air-lifted to the Royal London Hospital, where he was found to have suffered a major head injury that was not survivable.

In a lengthy statement released this afternoon, former grand prix driver Palmer vowed lessons would be learned in the wake of Sunday's "freak accident".

"There will of course be a detailed investigation into the accident that claimed Henry's life and we will do everything possible to understand exactly what happened and why, and see what can be learnt from this freak accident in the continual quest to make motor racing safer," said Palmer.

"It is perhaps ironic that John Surtees competed for many years at the highest levels of motorsport on both four wheels and two at a time when safety was given little consideration, but his son Henry should lose his life at a time when driver safety has never been greater."

Palmer gave a staunch defence of the high safety standards in Formula Two, which was only relaunched at the start of this year following a 25-year absence.

Formula One-style wheel tethers, designed to reduce the risk of tyres coming loose in an accident, are mandatory in the series, but Palmer admitted the system was not 100% effective.

"The Williams F1-designed Formula Two cars comply with the FIA 2005 F1 safety standards including the fitment of wheel tethers to reduce the risk of wheels coming off in accidents," Palmer continued.

"The F2 car also includes the latest F1 standards of driver head protection with high cockpit sides and lateral deformable structures.

"As with F1, however, wheel tethers cannot provide an absolute guarantee that a wheel will not come off in an accident and in a single seater race car the front of the head is inevitably exposed to the risk, however small, of being hit by another car or component."

Palmer believes Sunday's accident, which came a day after Surtees had claimed a maiden F2 podium in the opening race at Brands, has robbed the motor sport of a considerable talent.

"Henry had joined Formula Two for this first season of the new championship and had immediately impressed with a pace, focus and maturity that belied his young age of 18 years," he said.

"Henry made a big mark in just four events and looked very likely to be a winner in F2 in the future and maybe even F1.

"I am absolutely devastated that Henry lost his life.

"This is the saddest time in my 35 years of motor racing and my deepest sympathies are with father John, mother Jane and their daughters Edwina and Leonora, together with other family and friends."

John Surtees, famously the only man to win world titles on both two wheels and four, earlier paid a moving tribute to his son, saying he "had shown himself to be one with the possibilities of reaching the very top".

"Henry had followed his heart from the time he first sat in a kart," he said.

"He treated seriously the balance between motorsport and school, having just finished his A-Levels.

"The world beckoned and he was thriving on the freedom to concentrate on his motorsport.

"Despite bad luck in his motorsport, he had shown himself to be one with the possibilities of reaching the very top. Despite his young age he had shown maturity, technical understanding and speed.

"Most importantly he was a nice person and a loving son. He will be deeply missed."

Motor sport's world governing body, the FIA, also extended its sympathies to the Surtees family in a statement released this morning.

"Following yesterday's tragic accident, the FIA extends its sincere condolences to the family and friends of Henry Surtees," it read. "Our thoughts are with them at this difficult time."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BUTTON LOOKING FOR HOT PERFORMANCE

Jenson Button is looking to turn up the heat on the track this weekend in boiling Budapest.

After being subjected to cool temperatures at Silverstone and the Nurburgring over the past two grands prix, Button has struggled in his Brawn GP.

The Briton has seen his lead at the top of the drivers' standings cut to 21 points ahead of Sebastian Vettel, with Red Bull Racing team-mate Mark Webber a further 1.5 points adrift.

The duo dominated the British and German races, taking advantage of the lack of performance from the Brawns by scoring one-twos.

But with temperatures set to soar to 35 degrees centigrade in the Hungarian capital over the next few days, that should play into the hands of Button and Brawn.

Returning to the scene of his maiden grand prix victory three years ago, Button said: "Hungary is always one of my favourite races.

"Even more so this year as it should finally be a return to some real summer temperatures.

"The circuit holds some very special memories for me as the venue of my first Formula One win three years ago.

"It's fantastic to be going back there with the chance to compete for the win again.

"I've been at home in Monaco for the past week concentrating on my training.

"But I know the guys at the factory and at Mercedes-Benz have been working really hard on our latest upgrade package and I just can't wait to get back in the car."

Team principal Ross Brawn has been left frustrated by the way his cars have struggled of late following Button's storming start to the season, when he won six of the first seven races.

In particular, Red Bull have slashed Brawn's previously mammoth lead in the constructors' championship down to only 19 points.

Although concerned, Brawn is optimistic normal service - at least from his team's perspective - will be resumed at the Hungaroring.

"At the last two races we have not been able to achieve the full potential of our car at the same time as our competitors have taken a good step forward," remarked Brawn.

"However, we are confident the inherent performance of the car demonstrated during the first half of the season has not disappeared and the problems that we faced were unique to the circumstances of those races.

"Our focus now is to maximise the performance that we know is in the car whilst continuing to develop improvements which will maintain our championship challenge.

"We have a significant aerodynamic upgrade for the race in Budapest, which will bring performance gains in efficiency, downforce and aero balance.

"But we face a fierce battle and we must continue to improve for the rest of the season.

"The team has faced many challenges to arrive where we are today and I am confident we have the people and resources, plus two excellent drivers, to respond and fight to maintain our position of leading the constructors' and drivers' championships."

sky star 2

Super VIP
GLOCK HUNGRY FOR SUCCESS

German driver Timo Glock is optimistic about his chances of a repeat performance in the Hungarian GP this weekend.

The Toyota racer claimed his first F1 podium position when he finished second at the Hungaroring in 2008 and, as he gears up for a return to Budapest, he is hoping to pick up some points again.

"Obviously Hungary is a special race in my career after the podium there last season," he said.

"That was the first of several strong points finishes for me and I hope another competitive weekend there can get the ball rolling again this year.

"I am in a positive mood and optimistic I can score again."

Glock did not make the podium when he headed to his homeland for the German GP earlier this month, but he was pleased with his performance.

"It was disappointing to just miss the points at the last race, especially in front of my home fans, but I made up 11 places after starting from the pit lane so we have the potential to finish much higher," he said.

"One of my targets this weekend will be to get a perfect lap in qualifying because that has been an issue in the last couple of races for various reasons.

"Lap times are really close this year so, if you are a tenth or two off your maximum pace in qualifying, you can drop a few positions and that makes life harder in the race.

"We'll be pushing as hard as possible and I am sure we will bounce back."

sky star 2

Super VIP
VATANEN CONTINUES TODT ASSAULT

Ari Vatanen's aggressive outburst against Jean Todt has continued with the Finn accusing his rival of running a FIA-funded presidential campaign.

Vatanen was in no way enamored with outgoing president Max Mosley's endorsement of Todt last week, and insists that the FIA needs a fresh face at its helm - something he believes Todt would not be.

"The big, big majority of people involved in the FIA are not happy with the current state of affairs," Vatanen told Italian website 422race.

"FIA is not in a very good health," he added.

The former World Rally Championship winner believes that the FIA "needs a total renovation" and that Todt is being favoured in the race for the FIA presidency.

"Jean goes with a private plane with his girlfriend, supposedly as a FIA representative, to various parts of the world," said the Finn.

"In fact, he is doing a campaign totally supported and paid of FIA."

While the FIA's club representatives of Spain and Germany have yet to endorse a candidate Vatanen is confident that he has the members support.

"I'm just back from Spain and both the big Spanish clubs are behind me, the ADAC club (of Germany) is behind me, as is the biggest club in the world, the (American) AAA, in the person of his president Bob Dalbernet."

The 59-year-old refused to criticise Max Mosley directly but suggested that not enough attention had been paid to the giants of the sport such as Ferrari as the FIA looked to implement budget cuts.

"Ferrari is the most successful business concept in the automotive world and we must learn from the best practice in life," said Vatanen.

"Had they gone to a parallel championship, it would have been a disaster, but it would have been because they were obliged to go.

"They did not want to go, because it would have been lot of work for them, but it was reasonable," he added.

Vatanen has come out in support of FOTA in te past, and while he admits he is sympathetic to the plight of the manufacturers alliance he insists he is no way a "puppet" of the organisation.

sky star 2

Super VIP
ALONSO THE 'LOGICAL' CHOICE - WEBER

Willi Weber, the man who oversaw Michael Schumacher's successful career at Ferrari, has urged the Italian team to sign Fernando Alonso.

The former World Champion has persistently been linked with a move to the Maranello-based outfit and Weber, who now managers Williams' young sensation Nico Hulkenberg, that Ferrari should certainly move for the Spaniard.

"I don't know it for sure, but it would be the logical change for both sides," Weber told Sport Bild.

"Fernando Alonso is the best driver in the world currently. If I had any input with Ferrari I would put him under contract immediately, and I suspect they see it exactly the same way," the German added.

sky star 2

Super VIP
ALONSO THE 'LOGICAL' CHOICE - WEBER

Willi Weber, the man who oversaw Michael Schumacher's successful career at Ferrari, has urged the Italian team to sign Fernando Alonso.

The former World Champion has persistently been linked with a move to the Maranello-based outfit and Weber, who now managers Williams' young sensation Nico Hulkenberg, that Ferrari should certainly move for the Spaniard.

"I don't know it for sure, but it would be the logical change for both sides," Weber told Sport Bild.

"Fernando Alonso is the best driver in the world currently. If I had any input with Ferrari I would put him under contract immediately, and I suspect they see it exactly the same way," the German added.

sky star 2

Super VIP
MALLYA EYEING POINTS IN HUNGARY

Force India owner Vijay Mallya is adamant his team were no one-hit wonders in Germany as he firmly believes they will soon break their points duck.

After qualifying a career and team-high seventh at the Nurburgring, Adrian Sutil should have ended Force India's long wait for a top-eight finish.

However, as in Monaco last year, Kimi Raikkonen again proved to be the German's undoing as the Finn collided with the 26-year-old as he exited the pit lane at the midway point of the 60-lap race.

Forced into an immediate return to the pits for repairs, Sutil eventually trailed home 15th, 13 seconds behind eighth-placed Heikki Kovalainen, and a case of what might have been.

But armed with the belief his team are the most improved on the grid this year, Mallya feels it is a case of when - not if - they grab a point or two, potentially at this weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix.

"We always said the first few races would be compromised by the late signing of the McLaren and Mercedes deal (for engines)," said Mallya.

"But since then we've been introducing new upgrades, and each one has been a step forward.

"We had hoped this progress would be reflected in Silverstone, but due to events on track, we couldn't show the full potential.

"In Germany this is what you saw. I am confident that Germany was not just a one-hit wonder for us.

"Over the course of the season we've calculated we've improved by something like 1.7seconds, which I don't think any other team has done.

"It's been done by solid hard work and not just getting lucky.

"In Germany, Adrian had a superb qualifying and, as we saw in Q3, even on a very heavy fuel load, he was one of the quicker cars.

"In the dry race both Giancarlo (Fisichella) and Adrian were able to lap quickly and keep pace at various times with the Ferraris, Renaults and McLarens.

"So we're not just competitive in the wet, we're genuinely on the pace now."

It is why Mallya's disappointment at seeing Sutil again collide with Raikkonen was, although painful at the time, fleeting.

"In that split second when Kimi and Adrian came together, of course the whole team was disappointed and those memories of Monaco 2008 came forward," addressed Mallya.

"All the same I don't think we can be downhearted about the weekend performance and dwell too much on that point.

"We qualified in the top 10, we raced in the top five and we went some way to shirking off this reputation of being the backmarkers who only get seen while being lapped.

"I genuinely feel we are Q2 contenders for the rest of the season, and with Hungary being a circuit where qualifying is so crucial, we're in with a shot of a good finish.

"We're so close to points we can almost touch them. It has to be soon."

sky star 2

Super VIP
TODT HITS BACK AT VATANEN

Jean Todt has taken a swipe at Ari Vatanen as the countdown continues towards the FIA presidential elections.

Earlier this week, Vatanen accused Todt of being "presented as the son of the king" after current president Max Mosley fully endorsed the Frenchman as his successor.

Arguably correct on that score, Vatanen then claimed Todt and model girlfriend Michelle Yeoh had been travelling the world on behalf of the FIA Foundation, paid for by motor sport's world governing body.

That has prompted former Ferrari team principal Todt into a equally harsh response, with the 63-year-old reminding Vatanen of his role and responsibilities in being a candidate.

"We are three months away from the election of a new president of the FIA," said Todt.

"This period gives the FIA membership an important opportunity before making their choice to reflect on the Federation's achievements, its future goals and challenges.

"I would hope that all candidates will conduct their campaigns with dignity and avoid personalising the issues, or engaging in the spreading of disparaging or false allegations.

"I am very proud of the voluntary work Michelle Yeoh has done as the global ambassador for the Make Roads Safe campaign."

Todt feels former World Rally champion Vatanen should have learned more from his past 10 years as a Member of the European Parliament.

Todt added: "In future I hope that all candidates can stick to the issues and respect the integrity of this democratic process."

sky star 2

Super VIP
WEBBER AIMS TO MAINTAIN MOMENTUM

Mark Webber is hoping he now has momentum on his side following the first victory of his Formula One career.

In taking the chequered flag in Germany 10 days ago, his 130th race in F1, Webber secured himself a place in the sport's record books.

No driver with a win to their name has taken so long to savour a maiden triumph, and now the Australian would like to believe the floodgates have been opened.

"I've now crossed the unchartered waters of pole position and a victory, so that can only help," said Webber ahead of Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix.

"It can't be a hindrance, that's for sure. To lead and not be the chaser was a first for me.

"I hope that the momentum can continue, even if there is no doubt there will be some tough races in the future.

"But getting this first win means that when it's close, the races might seem more straightforward for me."

Webber's triumph means he and Red Bull Racing team-mate Sebastian Vettel are both firmly in the hunt for the drivers' title.

Team principal Christian Horner has made it abundantly clear team orders can not come into play, even if his two men trail Jenson Button by 22.5 and 21 points respectively.

With Red Bull closing in on Brawn GP in the constructors' title race after successive one-two finishes at Silverstone and the Nurburgring, Webber and Vettel are free to race.

As far as the 32-year-old from Queanbeyan in New South Wales is concerned, that makes it "incredibly straightforward".

He added: "All we drivers and the team have to do is turn up and try to do the best job we can.

"We know how important Saturday's qualifying is, and maybe one day that part of the weekend might not go as smoothly as planned for either myself or Sebastian.

"Plus there are other rivals mixed into that, so it's not just a straight fight between the two of us.

"Sebastian and I might come across each other quite a bit in the races, and that will be reflected in the points tally.

"It will continue to see-saw either way until one of us has a blip in performance.

"It's unrealistic to expect us to have one-two finishes through to the end of the year, and there will be interesting grands prix to come.

"For the team, it's an incredible position to have both its drivers on virtually equal points, which bodes well for the constructors' championship.

"Jenson is our big hurdle in the drivers' (championship), as he is two grands prix in the lead in terms of points."

sky star 2

Super VIP
McLAREN: WE'VE TURNED THE CORNER

Martin Whitmarsh is convinced this weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix will emphasise the corner recently turned by McLaren.

Team principal Whitmarsh was left bitterly disappointed following the race in Germany 10 days ago as hopes were high of a podium finish from Lewis Hamilton in his revamped car.

But a puncture collected at the first corner after being clipped by eventual winner Mark Webber, and subsequent damage sustained as the world champion returned to the pits, wrecked those ambitions.

Now, at a Hungaroring track that should suit the McLaren, and with both Hamilton and team-mate Heikki Kovalainen driving cars complete with the new package, a points haul is on the cards.

"While Lewis demonstrated during practice and qualifying at the Nurburgring that our upgrade package appears to provide us with a sizeable step forward in performance, it was frustrating damage to the rear bodywork left us unable to fully ascertain that benefit in the race itself," reflected Whitmarsh.

"For Budapest, both Lewis and Heikki will be equipped with the new package, and we are hopeful it will enable us to mount a more sustained attack towards the front of the field.

"The Hungaroring is a circuit where we, as a team, have enjoyed many successes in the past.

"We travel there this weekend hoping to provide concrete evidence that we're decisively turning our fortunes around for the remainder of the season."

Hamilton enjoyed success at the track on the outskirts of Budapest in 2007, while Kovalainen scored his only Formula One victory to date at the circuit last year.

Hamilton said: "The Hungaroring is one of the most demanding circuits for drivers because you're busy throughout the entire lap.

"It's a bit like a kart circuit - there are lots of twists and turns and the only place to relax is along the start/finish straight, which is quite short.

"It's also quite low-grip which makes overtaking particularly tricky, but I really enjoy the place - I won here in 2007 and was on pole last year.

"It's a circuit that really rewards consistent, precise driving - push too hard and you tend to lose rather than gain time.

"Given the potential we showed in Germany last weekend, I'm hopeful of getting a result that demonstrates the improvement we've made over the past few weeks."

As for Kovalainen, who still collected a point in Germany despite running the old-spec car, the Finn is buoyant of making his mark again over the weekend.

"This race is likely to be won or lost in qualifying," he said.

"You've got to be at the front and run an aggressive first stint if you are to succeed in the race.

"The track is also quite hard on tyres so you need to find a balance that will allow you to look after your rubber until the finish.

"The softer rubber, in particular, tends to suffer at the end of the race so you have to be careful.

"But I'm really looking forward to running the team's new upgrade package this weekend.

"I had a strong weekend at the Nurburgring where I didn't let a single car past me in the race.

"With the improved car I'm really hopeful of getting another strong result at the Hungaroring."

sky star 2

Super VIP
SEB AND WEB STIMULATE RED BULL SUCCESS

Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner firmly believes he has the best driver line-up in Formula One - combining "a prodigious talent" with a man "in the form of his life".

The team's results over the last two races would certainly appear to underline Horner's remarks as Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber have scored one-two results in Britain and Germany.

Vettel appeared to have the edge early on, but after securing his maiden triumph at the Nurburgring 11 days ago, Webber is certainly in the title picture now he is fully fit following a cycling accident in November that left him with a broken leg and shoulder.

Young German Vettel has narrowed the gap on championship leader Jenson Button to 21 points, with Australian Webber a further 1.5 points adrift.

With little to choose between them, it is the reason why Horner is refusing to back one over the other with eight races remaining.

Assessing the merits of both men, Horner could not be happier as he said: "When I saw Mark in early January, he'd forgotten to mention he'd also broken his shoulder.

"He couldn't put any weight on his right leg and I remember thinking 'This is going to be interesting!'

"He was resolute in his determination to drive the new car at its launch.

"After he drove it for the first time there was a look of relief in his eyes as I think he was unsure if he would still have the same feeling in his right foot and how he would cope with the bumps on track.

"From then on, there was never any doubt he was going to be fit for Melbourne (the season-opening Australian Grand Prix).

"In typical Aussie fashion, he carried the injury without letting on about how much pain and discomfort he was feeling.

"He's had great support and his physios and trainers have done a great job.

"I think it's only now we are seeing Mark at the level of fitness he was at prior to his injury, and his recent results show he is absolutely in the form of his life.

"As for Sebastian, he is undoubtedly a star in the making. He shows remarkable maturity, given his lack of experience.

"He is a prodigious talent who will continue to get better. The best is yet to come from him.

"So our drivers are both at the top of their game at different stages in their career, and they are pushing one another very hard.

"I think we've the best driver line-up in F1 at the moment, with both being treated with total fairness within the team and supplied with identical equipment."

Despite his team fighting for both titles for the first time in its history, Horner insists the pressure now is no different than at any other time since he has been in charge.

The only difference is everyone is working tooth and nail to keep up the title charge and take the fight to Brawn GP, rather than scrabbling around for mid-table scraps, as has previously been the case.

"You can always do better," insisted Horner.

"Putting aside our performance and two dominant one-two finishes in the last two races, the team's determination to continue to improve and not to take anything for granted is very important.

"There are no obvious weaknesses in our armoury, but as a group we must continue to push ourselves in all areas all the time.

"There are a lot of unsung heroes at the factory, putting in superhuman efforts and hours to get the components on the car."

sky star 2

Super VIP
GLOCK EYEING PODIUM REPEAT

Timo Glock is hoping this weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix can kick start his season back into life, exactly as it did a year ago.

Approaching the race in Budapest at the start of last August, the 27-year-old had failed to score in nine of the first 10 grands prix.

But Glock secured the first podium of his career at the Hungaroring with second place behind race winner Heikki Kovalainen, sparking an end-of-season flourish.

This year, after collecting points in the first four races, notably third in the rain-affected Malaysian Grand Prix, the Toyota driver has scored just one point in his last five drives.

What Glock would give now for a repeat performance of last season's run to second place, and another strong end to the year.

"Obviously Hungary is a special race in my career after the podium there last season," said Glock.

"It was a really special moment for me to be on the podium in Formula One for the first time, and it was great to be fighting right at the front.

"Everything came together and it worked out perfectly. It was the race immediately after my accident at Hockenheim, so maybe it surprised some people to see me being so competitive.

"But the truth was that Hockenheim was a turning point because we got the car really working well for me.

"After that, the fantastic result in Budapest was the start of a great run in the second half of the season.

"It was the first of several strong points finishes for me and I hope another competitive weekend there can get the ball rolling again this year."

With Toyota due to introduce a further package of upgrades for the weekend, Glock is confident of ending his miserable recent run.

"We have made a big improvement on slower corners in the past few races which is quite encouraging going into the Hungarian Grand Prix," added Glock.

"It is usually pretty hot as well, and our car has good cooling efficiency so that should work in our favour.

"So I am reasonably optimistic our car will go well, but we'll have to wait and see."

sky star 2

Super VIP
WAIT GOES ON FOR BMW SAUBER DUO

BMW Sauber duo Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica will have to wait another two months before hopefully driving competitive cars again.

At the start of the year the team believed they would be serious contenders for the Formula One world titles, building on their year-on-year improvement over the last few seasons.

But a failure to get to grips with the new rules that came into force at the start of the campaign has culminated in a woeful year to date.

Heidfeld and Kubica have collected just eight points between them, with the former conceding there is little hope of improvement on that until the Singapore Grand Prix at the end of September.

That is in contrast to last year's title rivals McLaren and Ferrari who have slowly but surely found a cure for their ills.

"It seems like McLaren have made a big step, especially at the last race (in Germany), whilst Ferrari made a big step a couple of races ago (in Britain)," assessed Heidfeld.

"We made a big step in Barcelona, and since then it has been a bit up and down.

"I hope we can get to a stage where we can also say we have made a big leap forward, and I hope this might be the case in Singapore.

"We're expecting a lot of new things, and I hope it will move us forward.

"Before then we have another package in Valencia, but my hopes are more for Singapore.

"It is too long to wait, but there's nothing we can do now."

Given BMW Sauber's woes this season, there is every possibility Heidfeld and Kubica will be at the back of the grid in Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix.

"As we knew a couple of weeks ago, we don't have a lot of updates here, with the next big one planned for Valencia," added the 32-year-old German.

"We do have a new front wing here, which is good because it wasn't planned, and some other minor updates.

"But it might mean it will be a more difficult weekend for us as some other teams have bigger updates here."

sky star 2

Super VIP
NEW DEAL FOR WEBBER

Mark Webber has signed a new deal with Red Bull Racing, committing himself to the team for the 2010 season.

The contract is reward for a superb season to date for the 32-year-old Australian, who scored his first F1 career victory 11 days ago in the German Grand Prix.

"I'm extremely happy Red Bull and I have been able to agree to race together again next year," said Webber.

Webber appreciates the tough times he has come through to arrive at a situation now where his future is confirmed at the midway point of this season.

Webber added: "Even in the leaner and tougher years at the start of my relationship with the team, I've always enjoyed working with them.

"So now to go through this purple patch, which we hope will continue for a good while to come, makes the work even more enjoyable.

"We've a very exciting finish to this year's championship, but I'm also looking forward to helping to develop and race the car in the 2010 world championship."

For team boss Christian Horner, it was an easy decision for him to make given Webber's form.

Along with his victory at the Nurburgring, Webber has finished as runner-up on three occasions this year, and third once to leave him just one and a half points behind team-mate Sebastian Vettel in the drivers' standings, and 22.5 off championship leader Jenson Button.

"I'm delighted we have re-signed Mark for 2010," said Horner.

"He has continued to show huge commitment and determination this season, especially following his bike accident at the end of last year.

"His recent results show he is on the form of his life - most

notably with his recent win at the German GP - and he has the motivation to deliver at the highest level.

"It was therefore a straightforward decision to extend the relationship.

"We believe the driver line-up of Mark and Sebastian is one of the strongest in the sport."

With Vettel already signed up for 2010, Red Bull Racing are the first team to definitively confirm their driver pairing for next season.

sky star 2

Super VIP
VATANEN NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND POLITICS

The battle lines have been drawn and the first significant shots fired over the last few days in the race to become the FIA's new president.

Exactly three months' on Thursday Max Mosley's 16-year reign will draw to a close, and either Jean Todt or Ari Vatanen will take on the task of stepping into the sizeable shoes of the 69-year-old.

On one side we have the candidate for continuity in former Ferrari team principal Todt, and on the other, the candidate for change in former World Rally champion Vatanen.

The options could not be more starkly contrasted, which is why it came as no great surprise when Vatanen this week described Todt as "the son of the king," and with good reason.

Just eight days ago in his farewell address to the member clubs of the FIA, and in proposing Todt as his successor, Mosley had spoken highly of the Frenchman as he would preserve "the independence" of motor sport's world governing body.

Yet where is the independence in an organisation when an outgoing president is, to all intents and purposes, informing the electorate who to vote for?

If the FIA are so independent, as Mosley claims, surely he would adopt one of two attitudes: either keep his counsel, or highlight the merits of both candidates.

Instead, given the power he wields, and which he will continue to exert over the next 13 weeks, Mosley has chosen to use his influence by insisting Todt become his successor.

Yes, the members have freedom of choice, but in this instance there is a form of brainwashing being applied because they have become so accustomed to Mosley's 'law', there are many who follow like sheep.

It is why Vatanen seized the opportunity to make his position perfectly clear: that if elected, unlike Todt, he will be no Mosley clone.

It will be a straightforward, black-and-white choice, no grey areas because there will be many not wanting to see the boat rocked, fearing the change being proposed by Vatanen.

The flip side is Vatanen will have his supporters because there are also those who feel the FIA is in desperate need of a shake up.

The Finn claims to have the backing of the powerful AAA in America, as well as influential bodies in Germany and Spain.

Yet despite the millions of motorists they cater for, the FIA is not a proportional representation system.

Instead, it is one country, one vote, which is why Vatanen will need on his side the African nations in particular, as well as those in the Middle East and Asia if he is to succeed.

A little like the Baltic states who vote for one another in the Eurovision song contest, they tend to stick together.

Perhaps that is why Vatanen made such a play for what he saw as Todt's junket to Africa recently, with actress girlfriend Michelle Yeoh in tow, making the claim it was paid for by the FIA.

The FIA, however, insisted that although both were on official business, the trip did not come out of their coffers, and this is where Vatanen has to tread carefully.

He may have been a politician for the last 10 years, but we all know from those who represent us on the home front, they are prone to the odd foot-in-mouth moment.

Mud-slinging is all very well, but if you attempt it, you have to make sure it sticks. Vatanen would do well to remember that.

The motorsport world has been in mourning this week following the tragic death of Henry Surtees.

The 18-year-old son of the only man to win world titles on two and four wheels, John, was killed after being struck by a wheel which had become detached from a rival car in an F2 race at Brands Hatch.

It was a stark reminder of the dangers of the sport, and that no matter the advancement in safety technology made over the years by the FIA, there is always more that can be done.

But thankfully, as with any such fatal accident, lessons will be learned, at least ensuring his death will not be in vain.

Another teenager will take his first tentative steps into Formula One this weekend.

At the age of 19 years 126 days, Jaime Alguersuari will become the youngest to compete in the sport when he drives for Toro Rosso in Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix.

It would appear experience is becoming old hat these days, and that youth is the in thing with the average age of today's F1 driver now just 27.

sky star 2

Super VIP
BARRICHELLO: IT'S ALL SORTED

Rubens Barrichello was Mr Happy on Thursday - 11 days after performing a very good impression of Mr Angry.

Barrichello stunned his Brawn GP team with a furious outburst after the German Grand Prix, claiming they lost him the race.

The Brazilian led for the first 15 laps at the Nurburgring, only to wind up sixth, prompting a broadside from the 37-year-old as soon as he stepped out of the car.

"If it is really what's going on, we're going to end up losing both championships," fumed Barrichello.

"I don't want to talk to anyone in the team. It will be all 'blah, blah, blah' and I don't want to hear that."

Barrichello cooled down once the situation was explained to him, with team principal Ross Brawn waiting until 48 hours later on the Tuesday to put in a call and to clear the air.

"He called me when I was in America with the family, quite early, around 6.30 in the morning," explained Barrichello in the Hungarian Grand Prix paddock.

"But I took the call and it was a nice conversation. He said he had heard things he didn't like, and that he had said things he shouldn't have as well. He just wanted to clear things up.

"He told me we had a new update coming to this race and he wanted me to be perfectly straight to deliver my very best for this race, so we're clear.

"I also sent a personal email to everyone in the team, which I did with all my heart, saying I had no personal problems with anyone.

"I think the team accepted it well. They know me. Anyone who has worked with me in the past knows if I've a problem with someone then I go straight to the point.

"It was purely the frustration of getting out of the car and not finishing where I could have."

There were further discussions on Thursday in Hungary, with Barrichello making it abundantly clear as to how his demeanour has changed since that stormy day in the Eifel mountains.

"We had a really good meeting this morning," added Barrichello.

"We talked about the facts of the last race and what can be done for this race.

"I went in with a Mr Happy t-shirt on, so I had no problems."

Asked if his outburst - the second of the season - would have an impact on his chances of being retained, Barrichello replied: "No.

"I think I will be retained, or I will be racing, because of my talent, not because of what is happening on the outside."

sky star 2

Super VIP
PIQUET UNSURE OVER F1 FUTURE

Nelson Piquet has revealed he has no idea whether he will see out the remainder of the current Formula One season.

Piquet's future has long been the subject of intense debate which soared to new heights at the last race in Germany.

The belief was the Brazilian was driving in F1 for the final time at the Nurburgring after a year and a half spent in the shadow of double world champion Fernando Alonso.

Despite what Piquet describes as "conflict", arguably between team boss Flavio Briatore and father/manager Nelson Snr, it culminated in a stay of execution.

However, beyond Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix is another matter as Piquet said: "It is not 100% settled for the rest of this season.

"That is why I am going to do my job and let my father do the rest."

Explaining the apparent furore of whether he stays or goes, a frank Piquet - who turns 24 on Saturday - added: "There was a bit of a mess at the last race.

"I knew there was a big chance for me to be here (in Budapest), but there was conflict, contracts, and a conflict of egos between a few people.

"It ended up with everything working well, but the problem is these days a contract in F1 doesn't mean much.

"We've seen several cases of drivers and teams breaking contracts, and it just stays that way.

"So the only thing I can do is drive, do my best and leave my father to do his job and see what he can do."

Piquet will at least be on a level playing field with Alonso this weekend after the Spaniard set the fastest lap at the Nurburgring in an upgraded Renault denied him due to time constraints.

A strong performance at the Hungaroring could bide him further time as he added: "I have a better chance now that I have the same car.

"Not only that, but it also looks like the car is quite quick, so it is easier to show something."

Given the circumstances, Piquet would appear to be a man under huge pressure, but he admits that is far from the case, citing reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton as to the reason why not.

"I have been facing this kind of situation since last year," said a rueful Piquet.

"It is not something new for me. We are in the top level of motor sport and drivers need to know how to deal with these pressures and that kind of thing.

"If you look at Lewis at the end of his first season, fighting for the championship, that must have been even harder than what I am going through, which is only part of the stress.

"Lewis must have been through much more stress than I am at the moment."

sky star 2

Super VIP
DOUBLE WARNING FOR ALGUERSUARI

Lewis Hamilton believes he could have severely damaged his career if he had leaped into Formula One as Jaime Alguersuari will do this weekend.

Alguersuari will become the most inexperienced rookie to race a F1 car in Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix as he has done nothing more than two straight line aerodynamic tests for Toro Rosso.

At 19 years 126 days, Alguersuari will certainly be the youngest to compete at the sport's highest level, a decision by the team that could seriously backfire.

Prior to signing his deal with McLaren ahead of the 2007 season, there was talk of Hamilton racing for the team in the final three races of 2006.

But it never materialised as it was realised Hamilton's inexperience counted against him, with the reigning world champion appreciating he "wouldn't have been ready."

"All I can say is any driver in the world would jump at the chance to be in a F1 car," said an understanding Hamilton of Alguersuari's position.

"I can't look at it and say 'I wouldn't do it' because I would have done it, just the same, but fortunately I had people around me when I did come in.

"In 2006, when (Juan Pablo) Montoya left (McLaren), I was going to replace him at China, Japan and Brazil, and I'd only done straight line tests, but it would have been the worst move of my career.

"It took me eight days of strong, core testing before I felt really comfortable in the car and matching the pace of Pedro (de la Rosa) and starting to compete with the other guys.

"It takes confidence and a lot of preparation. If I hadn't have had that testing and I'd gone into China, who knows if I'd have got my drive the following year.

"For me, it wasn't a good idea, but he may prove us all wrong, and all the best to him."

Current championship leader Jenson Button is "surprised" the young Spaniard has been allowed to race this weekend bearing in mind he has not even turned a corner of a circuit in a F1 car.

Although Button was only 20 when he made his debut, he at least had a winter's worth of testing behind him.

"You've got to say good luck to him, and it's a risk he's obviously willing to take. For his sake I hope he does a good job," said the 29-year-old Brawn GP star.

"It's not just about driving quick. There's a lot more to it. I'm sure he does not understand a Formula One car, or the electronics.

"To start with, the steering wheel is very complicated, and trying to get the pit stops sorted in two days is going to be difficult."

Expressing his serious concerns, Button added: "At his age it could absolutely destroy his career. It could end his dream of being competitive in Formula One."

Defending himself, Alguersuari said: "I'm relaxed.

"I know what I can do, what people can expect from me, and the most important thing is I know what I have to do.

"It's another car, another race in my career. At the end it's just one steering wheel and two pedals."