Formula 1 News

sky star 2

Super VIP
McLAREN SIGN JENSON BUTTON 2010 Drivers Championship

Jenson Button is relishing the prospect of embarking on a fresh challenge after being signed by McLaren to partner fellow world champion Lewis Hamilton in a stellar all-British line-up.

McLaren confirmed the arrival of Button on a "multi-year deal" on Wednesday, ending weeks of speculation over the future of the 29-year-old, who wrapped up his maiden world title in Brazil last month.

Button, who began his career at Williams in 2000 and has gone on to make 170 grand prix starts, will line up alongside Hamilton after parting company with Brawn GP, who were the subject of a takeover by Mercedes-Benz earlier this week.

Button's move to McLaren ends his seven-year association with the Brackley-based Brawn GP outfit, whom he joined in 2003 when the team was known as BAR before establishing himself as the team's number one driver prior to Honda's takeover in 2006.

Honda's subsequent withdrawal from F1 at the end of 2008 left Button's prospects looking bleak, before the rebirth of the team under the Brawn banner gave way to one of the most remarkable stories in the sport's history as Button romped to six race wins and the world title while the team claimed the constructors' crown.

The extreme highs and lows of the last 12 months forged a strong bond between driver and team, but while Button conceded it was a "difficult decision" to leave, he felt the lure of a new challenge was too strong to resist.

"It's always a difficult decision to leave a team when you've been there for so long," said Button.

"But life is all about challenges and, most important of all, it's about challenging yourself.

"So, although I won the World Championship with Brawn GP last year, and I'll never forget that, I was always adamant that I wanted to continue to set myself fresh challenges."

Those challenges in the main are set to come from the other side of the McLaren garage, where a fired-up Hamilton will be bidding to banish the memories of a tough 2009 season by landing his second world title.

Button is under no illusions about the task ahead, but nevertheless expects to form a formidable partnership with Hamilton.

"It's fantastic that we'll be forming an all-British line-up," he said.

"I know that we both fly the flag with pride and I sincerely hope we can make the whole of the United Kingdom, as well as Vodafone McLaren Mercedes fans across the world, proud.

"Nothing means more to me than to be able to represent my country.

"This is a team that always goes racing to win and I'm looking forward to being part of that."

The deal marks the first time in Formula One history that a team has started the new season with a line-up featuring the two most recent world champions, and is the first pairing of two British world champions since Graham Hill partnered Jim Clark at Lotus in 1968.

Button has reportedly agreed a three-year deal worth £6million a season, a figure which, if accurate, is far below what has been commanded by other world champions in recent seasons.

And McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh underlined the belief that Button's move from Brawn was not about the money.

"I want to make clear that Jenson's decision to join us was in no way motivated by money," said Whitmarsh.

"We'll be paying him no more than he could be getting elsewhere and that fact is a reflection of not only Jenson's belief in Vodafone McLaren Mercedes but also his desire and ambition to build on the phenomenal results he achieved during the 2009 season."

Button's new team-mate welcomed the arrival of his fellow Englishman while reserving special praise for the outgoing Heikki Kovalainen, his team-mate of the last two seasons who must now find a drive elsewhere.

Hamilton said: "It's fantastic news that Jenson has decided to join Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.

"I'm looking forward to working with him and our engineers to make sure we kick off the 2010 season with a car that's competitive enough to win the World Championship, but I want to send my best wishes for the future to my 2008-09 team-mate and now good friend Heikki Kovalainen, who is one of the nicest human beings I've ever met."

He added: "I already know Jenson and we get on very well together. We both really want our team to succeed.

"Although we'll be pushing each other hard, I'm sure we'll very quickly establish a great working relationship.

"He's an exceptional driver, very controlled and very smooth, and he has a real depth of knowledge and experience. I think we'll complement each other very well."

:thum:

sky star 2

Super VIP
BRAWN DEAL WORTH MORE - BUTTON

World champion Jenson Button insists he could have earned more money by extending his relationship with Ross Brawn but instead wanted to take on the challenge of joining Lewis Hamilton at McLaren.

The 29-year-old, who wrapped up his maiden world title in Brazil last month, announced his move to McLaren on a "multi-year deal" yesterday, days after parting company with reigning constructors champions Brawn GP, who were the subject of a takeover by Mercedes-Benz earlier this week.

Button has explained his decision to terminate his long-term association with Brawn as the need for a new challenge after achieving his aims with his former team.

The Briton told BBC Radio Five Live: "I am actually earning less than I would have been at Brawn so it's not about the money and everybody involved knows that is not the case. It's because it's something new.

"I knew it would be a challenge to go up against Lewis in his environment and my goal since I was eight years old was to win the world championship and I've done that now and I feel in need something else, a new challenge."

Button admits his decision, which means the Woking-based company now have the last two world champions in an all-British star line-up, did not come easily.

"I was excited but there was a lot to think about because I'd been with Brawn for seven years," he added.

"On the emotional side there was definitely a lot to think about but I thought the challenge of going up against Lewis in his environment would be very tough but very exciting.

"I know the environment in both areas and I know what I want to do and I want new challenges."

Button also paid tribute to Brawn - "I couldn't have done it without him" - but accepted things will change from now on after he said goodbye to the Brawn mechanics.

"It's going to be a different relationship because I am not within the team any more, we're not fighting for a world championship together," Button added.

"We've achieved that goal so I am going to be a rival. We'll still have a good relationship, we've been through a lot together."

While he has not yet spoken to Hamilton, Button is certain the pair will be at the forefront of challenging for the title next year.

He said: "I think with both teams you can say there is a chance of defending your title with them: nobody really knows who is going to build the better car next season.

"History would say Ferrari and McLaren would build a very competitive car but last season Brawn came out with a stunner, a car that was beyond belief for a lot of teams so you never really know.

"You are always taking a gamble choosing any team but I do know there will be four or five teams at the front being competitive and I'm in one of those teams."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BRAWN MAKE McLAREN WAIT FOR BUTTON

Brawn GP will not allow world champion Jenson Button to be involved in any team activities for McLaren before the end of the year.

Brawn chief executive Nick Fry said they would view any such activities "very dimly", while also hinting he felt Button, who sealed his move to McLaren earlier this week, had been disloyal.

"Jenson will not be doing anything at all for McLaren until the end of this calendar year," said Fry in The Guardian. "And if he does, we will be looking on it very dimly.

"He didn't have any obligations to us in 2010, but there are issues with regard to the [McLaren contract] signing process on which we are in discussion with him at the moment.

"There are other constraints on what Jenson can do between now and the end of the year which we will be rigorously enforcing."

The stance, which will apply to activities both on and off the track, is unusual among Formula One teams, who generally allow departing drivers to join up with their new team after the final race of the season.

Fry also suggested Button would have his work cut out at McLaren, as well as bemoaning a lack of loyalty.

He said: "Clearly loyalty would be nice but in this day and age you don't expect too much of that.

"I am always happy when any employee leaves our company if they are going to a better job, and they always go with our blessing if that is the case.

"In this situation we don't see the logic of the decision and I think Jenson is going to have to up his game if he is going to beat Lewis on home territory."

sky star 2

Super VIP
ECCLESTONE SETS SILVERSTONE DEADLINE

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has given Silverstone until December to sign a contract for next year's British Grand Prix before the race is pulled from the calendar.

The governing FIA's world motor sports council will next meet on December 11 to publish the final schedule of the 2010 season.

"The world council will meet and we will just pull it off (the calendar)," Ecclestone told The Times.

"We'll have no other choice if we don't have a contract.

"We shouldn't have anything on the calendar unless we have a contract in place."

Ecclestone revealed that if a deal is not reached the race will be removed from the schedule primarily for just one year and not replaced, reducing the calendar to 18 rounds.

"They (Silverstone) are close and they know they are close," he added.

"It's not the terms and conditions so much as whether the investors are prepared to bankroll them and take the risk."

The 2010 British race was originally scheduled for Donington Park, but the circuit's operators are now in administration after failing to secure the funds required to revamp the facilities.

The absence of the race would mean added disappointment next year with two British world champions, Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton, set to race side by side at McLaren.

"Of course we want a British Grand Prix," said Ecclestone.

"I've been spending an awful lot of time trying to make sure it does happen.

"But there is no chance of an exceptional contract for Silverstone. Why should there be?"

BRDC president Damon Hill admitted the club was hesitant about signing any contract that put it at risk.

"Bernie doesn't care whether you lose your shirt or not," he said.

"He wants to deal with someone who can take a chance.

"We saw what happened with Donington and so there is a point at which it becomes a fine line between signing a contract or not."

sky star 2

Super VIP
REPORT: SCHUMI IN TALKS WITH MERCEDES

Michael Schumacher has been in early talks with Mercedes GP over a possible return to Formula One next season, according to reports in the British press.

The seven-time world champion was set for a brief return with Ferrari during this year's Championship before a neck injury ended his plans. However, that doesn't mean he's out for good.

Schumacher still works for Ferrari, but Brawn's takeover by German car giants Mercedes could persuade him to to return for a new team.

Jenson Button has left to join McLaren leaving a big hole in the new Mercedes outfit, and the team officials are thought to want an all-German driver line-up with Nico Rosberg linked as another possible candidate.

According to a report in the Daily Telegraph, Schumacher has already been sounded out about making a return to the sport, although his fitness and condition of his injured neck would be a huge concern.

sky star 2

Super VIP
JORDAN EXPECTS SCHUMACHER COMEBACK Formula 1

Former Formula One team owner Eddie Jordan believes Michael Schumacher will replace Jenson Button at the newly-named Mercedes team for next season.

World champion Button joined Lewis Hamilton at McLaren earlier this week after the Brawn team with which he won the drivers' title was renamed Mercedes.

Speculation has mounted that seven-time champion Schumacher, who could not replace the injured Felipe Massa on a short-term deal at Ferrari last season because of a back injury picked up racing motorcycles, could be drafted into the team run by former Benetton and Ferrari colleague Ross Brawn.

Jordan, who ran an F1 team under his own name, said: "I believe the Brawn team will have Michael Schumacher in it next year.

"And my reasons for believing that is that at Abu Dhabi, the grand prix, the last race Dr (Dieter) Zetsche - (chairman of the Daimler board) - Ross Brawn and Michael Schumacher were deep in conversation and I believe it was to do with possibly joining the team as driver for the 2010 championship," Jordan told Radio Five Live.

sky star 2

Super VIP
DOOR STILL OPEN FOR DONINGTON Formula 1

Bernie Ecclestone has suggested next year's British Grand Prix could yet be staged at Donington Park.

Donington Ventures Leisure Limited (DVLL), the company which held the lease over the circuit, secured a 17-year contract to host the event in July 2008 but went into administration earlier this month after missing Ecclestone's deadline to secure £135million of funding.

on Friday , the Formula One supremo appeared to have had a change of heart when asked by BBC Radio Derby whether the event could still take place at Donington.

He said: "Definitely. If someone comes along with the right ideas and funding, then yes."

Ecclestone has been in negotiations with Silverstone as a possible alternative venue, but there remains a chance the race may not take place at all.

"We are having a meeting in December to decide the calendar for next year," Ecclestone said. "If nothing is in place by then, Britain will be taken off the calendar."

sky star 2

Super VIP
SELLING TEAM RIGHT THING TO DO - BRAWN

Ross Brawn insists natural progression meant it was necessary for him to pass on the ownership of his Formula One World Championship-winning team to Mercedes.

On Monday, German car giant Mercedes-Benz announced they would take a 75.1% share in Brawn GP, with the team re-named as Mercedes Grand Prix and Brawn remaining as team principal.

Brawn, who launched the team from the ashes of Honda's Formula One withdrawal in December 2008, contemplated continuing as Brawn GP, but conceded the sale was necessary to ensure future success.

"At some stage as a team owner you have to pass it on," he told The Independent.

"I'm almost 55 and I'm not planning to do a Bernie (Ecclestone, the Formula One rights holder who is aged 79).

"It was tempting to try to repeat this year's success (as Brawn GP) but it would have been an awful risk.

"We were already working with their (Mercedes') engine group and all the stars aligned.

"It was an opportunity to give the team a very strong future."

It was not an easy decision, said Brawn, after a fairytale year which saw the team claim both the constructors' and drivers' titles, with Jenson Button triumphing behind the wheel.

Brawn added: "As I said to the staff, it's sad to see the team only in existence for a year, but what a year!

"We've had a wonderful time, and in many ways it was a difficult decision, but now we've joined the most prestigious brand in the automotive world."

Since the announcement, Button has moved to McLaren for an all English line-up with Lewis Hamilton, his predecessor as world champion.

sky star 2

Super VIP
SELLING TEAM RIGHT THING TO DO

Ross Brawn insists natural progression meant it was necessary for him to pass on the ownership of his Formula One World Championship-winning team to Mercedes.

On Monday, German car giant Mercedes-Benz announced they would take a 75.1% share in Brawn GP, with the team re-named as Mercedes Grand Prix and Brawn remaining as team principal.

Brawn, who launched the team from the ashes of Honda's Formula One withdrawal in December 2008, contemplated continuing as Brawn GP, but conceded the sale was necessary to ensure future success.

"At some stage as a team owner you have to pass it on," he told The Independent.

"I'm almost 55 and I'm not planning to do a Bernie (Ecclestone, the Formula One rights holder who is aged 79).

"It was tempting to try to repeat this year's success (as Brawn GP) but it would have been an awful risk.

"We were already working with their (Mercedes') engine group and all the stars aligned.

"It was an opportunity to give the team a very strong future."

It was not an easy decision, said Brawn, after a fairytale year which saw the team claim both the constructors' and drivers' titles, with Jenson Button triumphing behind the wheel.

Brawn added: "As I said to the staff, it's sad to see the team only in existence for a year, but what a year!

"We've had a wonderful time, and in many ways it was a difficult decision, but now we've joined the most prestigious brand in the automotive world."

Since the announcement, Button has moved to McLaren for an all English line-up with Lewis Hamilton, his predecessor as world champion.

sky star 2

Super VIP
ECCLESTONE SETS SILVERSTONE DEADLINE Formula 1 2010 Season

Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone has revealed December 9 is the deadline for a deal to be done if the British Grand Prix is to take place next summer.

Plans to switch the race from Silverstone to Donington have fallen through, and talks with circuit owners to try to keep the grand prix at Silverstone have stalled.

Ecclestone, Formula One's chief executive, said: "They had a contract in place that they could have signed if they'd wanted to but they haven't. At the moment there is no British Grand Prix.

"I think December 9 is when the Formula 1 commission meet so that's when it will be taken off the calendar. If there's no contract in place there won't be a British Grand Prix."

Ecclestone also revealed he was surprised at world champion Jenson Button's switch to join Lewis Hamilton at McLaren next season in an all-British team.

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme, Ecclestone said: "He (Button) obviously knows what he's doing and he must be satisfied with the arrangements he's got in hand. I must confess I was a little surprised to see it happening.

"I suppose he feels confident enough to take on Lewis and that's it. It's a bit of a task to take on, that's all."

Ecclestone believes the two Britons can work well together, with the faster one becoming the team's number one.

"I think it will work," said Ecclestone. "They're both English guys and understand each other. I don't see a problem at all.

"Lewis isn't the sort of guy that needs pushing so I don't see how it will benefit the team other than they've got two world champions and two super drivers on board.

"I suppose the number one will be the guy that is the quickest."

Ecclestone, however, dampened down expectation that German legend Michael Schumacher was about to return to the sport with Mercedes, who have taken over the Brawn team.

He said: "I would think it's most unlikely. I don't see any reason why he should. I would be very doubtful it would happen."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BRAWN-AGAIN BUTTON JUST CHAMPION

When Honda announced its withdrawal from F1 on December 5, 2008, Sky Bet offered odds of 80-1 on Jenson Button becoming 2009 world champion.

The Englishman spent the winter not knowing whether he would be on the grid at all; assuming Ross Brawn could not save the team there was also the question of whether, with just one race victory in nine seasons, he would be able to salvage any kind of F1 future.

Twelve months on, Button is the world champion and if any further proof of an enhanced - even rehabilitated - reputation is needed, the fact he now has a McLaren contract in his back pocket says it all.

Not only does he have the Brawn GP team to thank for such a remarkable turnaround in fortunes, Button must also be grateful of the technical changes - mainly governing aerodynamics - the FIA introduced before the season.

Of course, the degree to which Brawn use new rules was a crucial (but by no means the only) factor in their early-season dominance but is the fact the order was shuffled and the 2009 season consequently given such a refreshing zest not something to be welcomed?

Aside from Brawn (now Mercedes) GP, Red Bull were the year's other main protagonists - a team without a win before the season started but now, like their 2009 rivals, poised to carry on where they left off.

That they will be joined by McLaren and Ferrari there can be little doubt - F1's more usual hegemony having been so absorbed in their 2008 title battle they took their eye off the ball at the start of the season and spent the rest of the year catching up.

In fact, the eye-catching success of Brawn GP and Button aside, this season's main legacy could be the 2010 season it tees up: perhaps four teams in title contention? Fernando Alonso joining Felipe Massa at Ferrari? Michael Schumacher potentially joining Nico Rosberg at Mercedes GP and taking on an all-British line-up at McLaren? Bring it on...

Team of the Year

Only officially coming into existence just three weeks prior to the first race of the 2009 season, the Brawn GP name disappeared from view in November to leave the team as the first in the history of the Formula One Constructors' Championship to achieve a perfect record.

Being a contender was probably not at the forefront of Ross Brawn's thoughts as he fought to save the team formerly known as BAR and then Honda, but once their future was secured and the team gave the newly rechristened BGP001 its first run at Silverstone on March 6, its performance out of the box would have confirmed what Brawn and company suspected before their business was so rudely interrupted in December: that they had a winner on their hands.

A total of eight wins in 17 races followed - a level of success that wasn't entirely down to the 'double diffuser' the team ran. The car had a strong all-round aerodynamic package and although its most glaring weakness - the tyre warming problem that so hampered Button mid-season - helped rivals to catch and pass Brawn, the strengths clearly more than compensated.

Add Brawn's tactical nous into the mix and the fairytale result was two championships for a team that might not have existed at the start of the year.

Driver of the Year

Jenson Button teams up with Lewis Hamilton in a Brit-centric World Championship-winning McLaren super-duper dream team next year and given that they were the standout performers of 2009, one hopes McLaren give them a car with which to do the job.

What gives Button the edge here though is the fact that, having finally been given the necessary tools, he made the most of what was his first title shot in a decade at the top.

'Six wins in seven races' are words enough to justify Button's success and while he undoubtedly had the quickest car for the first half of the season, he still regularly scored points when this was no longer the case.

He enjoyed some luck, in that not one of his title rivals was able to pick up the baton and run with it for any length of time, but such fortune was never anywhere near outrageous and let's not forget his only retirement of the season - a lap one crash in Belgium - was not his fault.

Button finally sealed the title at the Brazilian Grand Prix, a race which encapsulated both his biggest frailty during the season - the overly cautious mindset which left him 14th on the grid in a wet qualifying session - and the reason why he is deserving of his world championship: a rousing drive to fifth place in the race, right when it mattered most.

Most Improved Driver

Lewis Hamilton's performance was the biggest improvement over the course of the season but that was mostly due to McLaren making his car about 2.8 seconds per lap quicker between the first and last race.

Fresh from his world championship success and yet handed a recalcitrant MP4-24 car with a woeful lack of grip, Hamilton knuckled down and gave it his all, with the result that he put the car in positions it had no right in being.

Matters worsened before they improved, however, and even he was unable to score during the early summer.

But the team made a breakthrough in Germany and that much was clearly apparent in Hungary, where Hamilton duly scored his first win of the season. Another followed in Singapore and he ended the year the quickest driver on the grid.

Quite a turnaround in other words, although any plaudits handed to Hamilton must also be placed in the context of events at the start of the season - his third place in the Australian Grand Prix subsequently being stripped after he and (soon to depart) McLaren sporting director David Ryan were found to have deliberately misled race stewards.

All in all a character-building season, and one that will serve him well.

Moment of the Year

Jenson Button's Austin Powers-style "Yeah baby" trills over the radio became a feature of the 2009 season but one he made at Istanbul Park at the start of June almost came back to haunt him.

It came in the immediate aftermath of Button's sixth - and, as it transpired, his last - win of the year and at a time when it seemed as though he would have the title wrapped before summer was out.

Of course, that was not to be and yet if it wasn't for the fact he did eventually become world champion there would appear something rather poignant about his purring to the pitwall: "You've built me a monster of a car. You guys are absolute legends."

Sure enough, his car was no longer quite such a monster next time out at Silverstone but the 26-point lead Button had built by then ultimately proved enough. Phew.

Lowlight of the Year

Formula One has made giant strides in terms of safety since its black weekend at Imola back in 1994 and yet the question remains: how can strapping men into 200mph projectiles ever be a truly safe vocation?

Both thoughts were to the fore when Felipe Massa suffered his eerie accident at the Hungaroring at the end of July: mercifully the advances made that spared the Brazilian even more grievous injuries more than outweighed the sheer bad luck he suffered in having a suspension spring hit him in the first place.

The accident represented the obvious nadir of the 2009 season; however, the sport and its governing body - in particular former FIA president Max Mosley - can take satisfaction in Massa's speedy recovery.

Race of the Year

New rules designed to pep up 'the show' did their job in the sense that they shook up the established order and yet the notion that the actual racing might be significantly improved was soon found wanting.

As it was, bad weather once more proved the saviour - for the armchair fan at least - with the vagaries of the Sao Paulo climate producing the second cracking Brazilian Grand Prix in a row at Interlagos.

Unlike in 2008, the rain fell in qualifying rather than the race and produced the sort of mixed-up grid those in power might consider mandating if they want guaranteed action.

The race duly started with a spectacular shunt which left two drivers almost coming to blows trackside, the excitement then ratcheting itself up a notch with chaos in the pitlane before we were treated to the sight of Jenson Button sticking it to his critics.

Year to Remember

Red Bull Racing rather had their thunder stolen when Sebastian Vettel won the 2008 Italian Grand Prix for Toro Rosso - essentially a team set up by energy drinks magnate Dietrich Mateschitz to blood his youngsters before they moved to the big brother outfit.

The German did just that this season and proceeded to do pretty much what everyone expected he would do, given a decent car. Adrian Newey more than delivered in that regard with the RB5 - easily the best-looking car on the grid this season - and Vettel responded with four victories and a title campaign.

Further evidence the team are likely here to stay came as team-mate Mark Webber finally broke his duck and claimed two more wins for the Milton Keynes outfit.

Based just up the M1 at Silverstone, meanwhile, Force India scored their first ever points in Belgium - and it could have been even better had polesitter Giancarlo Fisichella not been passed by KERS-assisted Kimi Raikkonen at a restart.

Year to Forget

Fernando Alonso finally gets his Ferrari move in 2010 and it doubtless cannot come a moment too soon after a year which brought little in the way of competitiveness on the track and more aspersions cast about the double world champion's character off it.

Alonso and Renault rounded out the 2008 season in fine style but, like McLaren, they struggled during pre-season testing. Unlike them though, they never made a breakthrough and Alonso's pole position and early lead in Hungary - before a wheel fell off - remained his most prominent showing of the season.

His best result came with a third-place finish in Singapore, 12 months after the victory which ultimately proved bogus and which had, just days earlier, brought Renault quite the wrong sort of publicity.

Was Alonso genuinely unaware team bosses had asked Nelson Piquet Jr. to deliberately crash for his own benefit? The FIA was satisfied he was - although that will probably not bring an end to the inevitable rumours.

Reputed to be the best driver of the current crop, a measure of Alonso's worth is that he still netted the team 26 points; neither Piquet norreplacement Romain Grosjean managed a solitary point between them.

Gone but not Forgotten

KERS (the energy recovery system) was much vaunted by the FIA as a way of presenting the sport as both greener and a platform for technical innovation, with the side effect of offering the possibility of more overtaking.

In the event, only McLaren, Ferrari, Renault and BMW made any real attempt to use KERS in races, with the latter pair ditching their systems sooner rather than later.

Both McLaren and Ferrari won races with it - the latter arguably owing their solitary victory of 2009 to it - but it seems as though the disadvantages (issues of weight and packaging limiting set-up options, not to mention high development costs at a time when teams have agreed to reduce budgets) have outweighed the advantages, with teams agreeing amongst themselves to give KERS a sidestep for next season at least.

sky star 2

Super VIP
MERCEDES THE ONLY OPTION FOR SCHU

Michael Schumacher has insisted Mercedes were his only option for a return to Formula One.

Schumacher on Wednesday lit the touchpaper to what is almost certain to be a phenomenal season in 2010 by signing a three-year contract with Mercedes GP, ending three years in retirement.

The seven-times world champion had no intention of returning to F1 until Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo urged him to replace the injured Felipe Massa following his horror smash in Hungary in July.

At that moment, Schumacher was again bitten by the bug, and after di Montezemolo's plan to run three cars for next year soon fell by the wayside, there was just one choice open to Schumacher.

After Mercedes took over Brawn GP, and then Jenson Button departed for McLaren, there was only going to be one answer when close friend Ross Brawn came calling.

"There were no other teams seriously considered," said Schumacher, who will celebrate his 41st birthday in 10 days' time.

"The only reason I seriously thought about a return is because of the old friends (Brawn and Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Norbert Haug) that have asked me.

"With the combination of Ross and Mercedes, it is now possible to work together.

"I'm happy to give something back to Mercedes after they gave me something in the early days.

"With Mercedes, where I started my career, and with Ross, it was the only combination able to trigger this (his comeback).

"There was no other combination I felt I wanted to work for and work with.

"Ross is a long-term friend. He knows me in detail, as I know him.

"We've won races we shouldn't have, had tough times, good times, but in the end we have managed to finish with a positive attitude."

It was Brawn who was the mastermind behind Schumacher's seven world titles, initially at Benetton in 1994 and 1995, and then from 2000 to 2004 with Ferrari.

Brawn is convinced, simply because he trusts Schumacher's word, his protege still has what it takes to succeed at the highest level.

"I asked Michael that question, and he is the best judge of what he can do, and I trust him implicitly," added Brawn.

"He's told me he can do it, so I'm very confident. He's always been his own best critic, he knows what he's capable of.

"I'm very comfortable, very confident. I put my trust in Michael, and it won't be misplaced, that he will do a job."

Assessing the cards in his favour, Schumacher added: "I have won the title seven times, I'm with a team that won both titles last year, and you have Mercedes as a team owner.

"So you can't expect anything else other than going for the world championship. That's what we're aiming for.

"Yes, there will be strong competition, but I am absolutely thrilled to be back, and right in the middle of it."

Mercedes have already been dubbed 'Team Germany' as Schumacher will partner Nico Rosberg for the manufacturer.

With Button and Lewis Hamilton lining up for McLaren, and with old adversary Fernando Alonso alongside Massa at Ferrari, F1 fans could be in for a treat.

"It's a nice, tasty story indeed," smiled Schumacher.

sky star 2

Super VIP
SCHUMACHER IS BACK

Michael Schumacher has signed a three-year deal with Mercedes GP and the seven-time Formula One world champion insists he's "totally fired up" to compete at the top once again.

There was a sparkle in Schumacher's eye as he announced he was stepping out of retirement after three years away, ready, as he put it, "for some serious stuff."

Schumacher knows he is putting his reputation on the line, that of a man who won seven world titles, 91 Grands Prix, claimed 68 poles and 76 fastest laps - all records - from his 249 races over 16 seasons from 1991 to 2006.

The legendary German insists there is fire in his belly again, one that had died when he decided to call it a day at the end of 2006, despite a mesmerising drive in Brazil on his final outing.

Now Schumacher, who will be 41 in 11 days' time, feels like a man reborn, ready again to go wheel-to-wheel with Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, and his old adversary, Fernando Alonso.

And in signing a three-year deal with Mercedes GP, Schumacher is intent on proving he is back for the long haul, not just a one-season dabble to see if he can still cut the mustard.

In teaming up again with Ross Brawn, the genius behind his seven world titles at Benetton and Ferrari, and with the backing of Mercedes, there is only one target for Schumacher in 2010.

"I never left the race track," reflected Schumacher on his time away spent on motorbikes, in karting, and as advisor to Ferrari, a team he joined in 1996 and with whom he has such close ties.

"I was tired of F1 by the end of 2006. I lacked motivation and didn't have any energy.

"But after three years I have got back all the energy I am feeling right now.

"Having played around with motorbikes, go-karts and all kinds of toys, and I had a lot of fun, I feel ready for some serious stuff.

"It has been a tough time leaving the Ferrari family that has been a big part of my career.

"But after I got the call from Ross in November offering me a Silver Arrow I'm now going to be able to throw around, there is tremendous excitement.

"I'm very motivated, thrilled and excited, and that's what counts."

Although Schumacher is throwing himself back in the firing line, he added: "I have won the title seven times.

"I'm with a team that won both titles last year, you have Mercedes as a team owner, so you can't expect anything else other than going for the world championship. That's what we're aiming for.

"Yes, there will be strong competition, but I am absolutely thrilled to be back, and right in the middle of it."

The seed for a return was planted within Schumacher back in August when Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo convinced him the team's need was great after Felipe Massa's horrific accident in qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

A neck injury, however, sustained in a bike test session in Spain in February robbed the sport of a remarkable story that has now finally come to fruition.

Schumacher insists there are no issues with his neck, and he will be raring to go for the first test in Valencia on February 1.

"It (the neck) was obviously a topic I wanted to understand," added Schumacher.

"Before I gave the final okay, I worked on it to be sure myself, and I can say 100 per cent the neck is no longer an issue.

"Unfortunately, in the summer when I tried to return for Felipe at Ferrari, it was too close to the accident (in February).

"The time since means it has healed completely. I have no problem whatsoever.

"Although it didn't work out back then, it initiated something in me I didn't know was there.

"Before I went into my meeting with Luca after Felipe's accident, I really didn't feel like it was what I wanted.

"But when I felt the responsibility, I thought 'I've got to do that', and it triggered what has happened now."

As for his age, and the fact he will be twice as old as some of the younger drivers in the field, Schumacher does not see that as any kind of barrier to success.

"It will be a tight fight, but I absolutely believe I can again be competitive," said a determined Schumacher.

"They (the young drivers) have got their chance to compete against me, so they'd better use it.

"I'm looking forward to the fight, the wheel to wheel, something the fire inside me has started up again.

"To put it simply, I'm totally fired up for next year."

Schumacher Factfile:

1969: Born on January 3 in Huerth-Hermuelheim, Germany.

1973: Makes his racing debut in a kart race.

1987: Wins German and European kart championships.

1988: Finishes fourth in German Formula Ford championship and second in the European series in first year of car racing.

1990: Wins first major single-seater title, clinching the German Formula Three crown. Steps up to sportscars, driving for Mercedes.

1991: Makes Formula One debut for Jordan in Belgium, qualifying seventh before retiring. Poached by Benetton for the rest of the season.

1992: Takes first grand prix win in Belgium on his way to third in championship.

1994: Wins title, with eight wins to his name, after controversial last-race clash with Damon Hill.

1995: Retains world crown, taking nine victories.

1996: Moves to struggling Ferrari and manages three wins on his way to third in championship.

1997: Wins five races but is stripped of second in the championship for attempting to take out title rival Jacques Villeneuve at Jerez.

1999: Breaks his leg at Silverstone when easily leading the championship.

2000: Finally wins Ferrari's first world title since 1979, amassing nine wins on the way.

2001: Another nine wins and another title, setting a new record for all-time victories on the way.

2002: Wins championship in record time, setting a new mark of 11 victories.

2003: Wins title by a point after six victories, breaking Juan Manuel Fangio's record of five championships.

2004: Breaks his own record for wins in a season to take title number seven.

2006: September 10 - Announces his retirement at end of 2006 season after winning Italian Grand Prix.

2009: July 29 - Announces he plans to make a shock return to Formula One with Ferrari, deputising for Felipe Massa until the Brazilian is recovered from injuries suffered in the Hungarian Grand Prix.

August 11 - Announces he will not make a Formula One comeback due to a neck injury sustained in a motorbike accident in February.

December 23 - Signs a three-year contract to drive with Mercedes GP, ending three years in retirement.

sky star 2

Super VIP
HAMILTON EXCITED BY SCHU RETURN

Lewis Hamilton is relishing the prospect of going head to head with Michael Schumacher next season.

The seven-time Formula One world champion has confirmed his return to the sport after three years in retirement, signing a three-year deal with Mercedes GP.

Hamilton has previously stated his biggest disappointment was being unable to compete against Schumacher in his debut season of 2007.

The German, who turns 41 in 11 days' time, called a halt to his 16-season career at the end of 2006, just a few weeks before Hamilton was confirmed as a McLaren driver for the following year.

But with Schumacher fit, after a neck injury had prevented a return with Ferrari in August, Hamilton cannot wait to take him on.

"It's great to have Michael back in Formula One," said Hamilton, the 2008 world champion.

"He is a legend, a really nice guy, and I am happy for him he has again got an opportunity to do the best job in the world - race in Formula One.

"I used to watch Michael race when I was in the junior categories, and I always hoped I would be in Formula One while he was still around.

"I'm now really looking forward to seeing him on the track and back at the top.

"It's brilliant news, and I wish him my absolute best on his comeback with such a fine team and company as Mercedes-Benz."

McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh echoed Hamilton's sentiments on the prospect of seeing Schumacher back in F1.

"I think I share the sentiment of every single Formula One fan across the world by saying Michael's return to the sport is fantastically exciting - and a thrilling prospect for the 2010 season," said Whitmarsh.

"I've no doubt Michael has studiously examined this opportunity from every possible angle, and he's convinced he still possesses the same fearsome drive and determination required to succeed in Formula One.

"Obviously, Michael is a seven-time champion and has absolutely nothing left to prove, so it will be fascinating to see what he can achieve in a new team.

"We now look forward to some terrific racing in 2010."

Schumacher's team-mate at Mercedes GP, Nico Rosberg, now knows he faces a difficult task against his fellow German, but one he is looking forward to.

"It is fantastic Michael is returning to Formula One and will be my team-mate," remarked Rosberg, who left Williams to join Mercedes at the end of last season.

"It's a great challenge for me to be up against one of the best drivers of all time.

"I'm sure we will form a very strong partnership as he will have lost none of his speed. It is also great news for our sport and the fans."

For Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn, it means a reunion with the man he helped guide to his seven world titles, two with Benetton in 1994 and 1995, and five with Ferrari from 2000 to 2004.

"As seven-time world champion, Michael's outstanding record in Formula One speaks for itself and I am looking forward to working with him again," remarked Brawn.

"With the completion of our driver line-up, I believe we now have the most exciting partnership in Formula One with Michael and Nico, who provide the perfect mix of talent, experience, speed and youth.

"We can now turn our full attention to the preparations for the new season and everyone at the team is extremely excited about the challenge ahead.

"With the investment and with two such exciting drivers, we have all of the building blocks in place to have another successful season in 2010."

Schumacher started his career with Mercedes-Benz Motorsport as part of their junior programme in 1990, going on to race in Group C sports cars and DTM.

Norbert Haug, vice-president of Mercedes-Benz Motorsports, is now finally thrilled to be working with a driver he first came across 18 years ago.

"In April 1991, when I had been in charge of the Mercedes-Benz Motorsport programme for just six months, Michael was standing beside me one evening," recalled Haug.

"Without the slightest doubt, he said in a low voice 'It's about time I got into Formula 1.'

"Michael had just turned 22 years of age and four months later, he made his debut at Spa in a Jordan. Mercedes-Benz helped him to that point and the rest is history.

"Michael has more of everything than every other driver.

"Our sporting ambition has always been that Michael should drive again where his professional career had started, and Michael knew that.

"We often joked about it after the races and discussed the prospect seriously several times during the last 14 years in Formula One.

"It didn't happen in 1995, it didn't happen in 1998 and it didn't happen in 2005. I am delighted that it will now happen in 2010.

"I am very much looking forward to working with Michael.

"Everybody at Mercedes-Benz and Daimler extends a very warm welcome to our 'apprentice' of 19 years ago.

"That apprentice is now the most successful racing driver of all time."

sky star 2

Super VIP
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER NOT SATISFIED

Michael Schumacher should have had something to smile about on Sunday but was still left far from impressed with his day's work.

Schumacher finished fourth in the Spanish Grand Prix, his highest position of the season, completing a dominant weekend over Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg.

The 24-year-old had out-qualified and beaten Schumacher in the four previous Grands Prix this year, but modifications to the car have been far from his liking and he wound up a lowly 13th.

As for Schumacher, he started sixth before moving up to fifth in the only round of pit stops.

After holding Jenson Button at bay, the 41-year-old netted fourth after a suspected tyre rim failure pitched the second McLaren of Lewis Hamilton into a tyre wall on the penultimate lap.

Yet despite Schumacher picking up 12 points, two more than he had collectively managed from the races in Bahrain, Australia, Malaysia and China, the seven-times champion still found reasons to grumble.

"It was quite an entertaining race right from the start, even if we knew there would not be a chance for us to compete for a podium if everything went as normal," said Schumacher.

"Still it was exciting for me to manage to keep the position that I gained, but then I am not too happy as today we could only defend.

"All we could do was to hope for reliability problems of others in order to make up positions, and that's not really what you want to do.

"It was an interesting fight with Jenson, but all I could do was try not to give him a possibility to overtake.

"In the end the gap to the front was just too big to be really happy after this race.

"For Monaco, we hope the characteristics of the track will suit our car better."

Team principal Ross Brawn knows progress has been made, but nowhere near what is required if they are to push for the title.

"Michael drove extremely well all weekend to continue the progress he made over the first three races of the season and achieve his best finish with our team," said Brawn.

"Nico has had a more difficult time and we will look closely into the reasons why he has struggled this weekend.

"So although we have made a step forward with the performance of our car, the evidence shows our competitors have also improved and our step is not enough to enable us to compete where we would like to be.

"We have a lot of hard work ahead of us and I remain confident we have the ability and resources to close the gap, but it will be a tough fight."

sky star 2

Super VIP
REACTION: SAUBER, LOTUS, VIRGIN, HRT

Sauber
Kamui Kobayashi: "I had a good start but in turn three I was hit by Robert (Kubica). I think I left him enough room but he said he had understeer. However, this was where I lost ground. I came back from the gravel in 15th. I'm convinced, given the progress we made with the car, without this incident I would have been able to score points today. Later I got stuck behind Vitaly (Petrov) in the other Renault. It is really not easy to overtake on the Circuit de Catalunya. I tried hard but it didn't work out. At least I finished my first Grand Prix this year."

Pedro de la Rosa "I can't explain how disappointed I am. I had a good start but I got hit by a Toro Rosso which caused a rear tyre puncture. I pitted for a tyre change but meanwhile the damage to the car, caused by the exploded tyre, was quite extensive. We tried to continue but the car was undriveable. It just made no sense and we had to give up."

Lotus
Jarno Trulli: "I'm pleased we finished comfortably ahead of Virgin even though the car felt a bit difficult to drive today. I don't really know why but it didn't feel the same as it did on Friday - despite that we achieved what we set out to today, showed good race pace and finished well."

Heikki Kovalainen: "We had a gearbox problem while we were firing up on the grid. The gearbox selected two gears at once - there was some sort of software issue which caused it to fail. It's unfortunate, because we have had such a good weekend, but these things happen. Next up it's Monaco, and I know we'll be stronger again there, so we can focus on the next race and hope the luck returns."

Virgin
Timo Glock: "In general the race wasn't too bad for us and obviously we have made a good step in getting both cars to the finish, so it was a good team result today. The car was difficult to drive in the last part of the first stint. I had a good race-long battle with Jarno but the amount of traffic we experienced made it very difficult. Out of 66 laps, only 15 of them were in free air and the rest were full of blue flags. We are making progress and today was an important step, but it was a small step and we have to keep up the momentum now to bring some bigger steps as the season progresses. Congratulations to the team because they have worked incredibly hard over the past few weeks and this weekend in particular."

Lucas di Grassi: "It was a good race for the team today - the first race where we were able to bring both cars to the finish and a good reward for the team after all the hard work. Reliability has been a weak point for the last races but I'm very happy to see we have taken a step forward. My race was very tough - we opted to start on the prime tyres and it was impossible to drive the car. When we switched back to options the car was okay again and I was able to do some good laps. With a lot of blue flags it was very difficult to have a consistent pace."

HRT
Karun Chandhok: "I am very disappointed with the outcome of the race. It's a real shame what happened with Jaime. I stayed out of his way, kept the car completely straight and he just turned left into me. I was really pleased with my race until then. I had a good first lap and was trying to be sensible with the option tyre and get them to last. My pace relative to the other new cars was good and I was pulling away from Di Grassi quite comfortably. In the end, although we changed the front wing, the damage to the front right suspension was too much and I had to stop. It is a disappointing end to a good day for the team."

Bruno Senna: "I made a great start and was able to pass a good number of drivers and make up a few places. I was in 17th it was a good opportunity to show what I am able to do in F1. At Turn 4 the car just caught me out and unfortunately my race ended there. I am very disappointed not to finish our home race and had to retire in front of our fans on a track that I like very much. Let's look at the Monaco Grand Prix where I feel at home".

sky star 2

Super VIP
REACTION: F INDIA, RENAULT WILLIAMS

Force India
Adrian Sutil: "A very good race for the team, with a good pace that showed again we are up there in the midfield really fighting for position and points. I had a great start, moving from 11th to 8th, and was not that far behind the Ferrari of Massa for most of the race. I had to push quite a lot throughout as for about 40 laps Robert [Kubica] was quite close behind and there was no time to relax. In the end seventh position is a great success for the team. It's more points and keeps that momentum going. I can't wait to get to Monaco now, one of my favourite tracks."

Tonio Liuzzi: "It was a difficult race starting from so far behind. We had a decent start but we struggled with understeer and then snap oversteer on the first stint with the softer tyres. I lost a little time getting away from the pit stop but then the balance with the hard tyres was getting better. By that point though we had got caught in the traffic because of the faster cars coming by. Once they had all gone and we got some clean laps we could show a decent pace so we can be quite happy at this aspect. Ultimately the points were too far away as we had already lost so much time at the beginning, but that's racing and we have to sit and understand what happened to the whole weekend as it's been quite difficult all round. I'm now looking forward to Monaco in just a few days' time."

Renault
Robert Kubica: "I didn't have a good first lap and that compromised the rest of my race. I actually made a good start and was fighting with Massa through turn one but unfortunately the car snapped sideways when I got on the power. Then, in turn three, I touched Kobayashi which damaged the front wing and cost me some places. I was struggling with quite a lot of understeer because of the damage, but the field was so tight that we didn't have time to change the wing during the pit stop without losing a position. After that, I was able to attack Sutil and the car felt quite competitive in spite of the damage. But everybody knows how difficult it is to overtake here so there was no chance to pass him. Even so, the pace has been good this weekend and that's been a nice surprise. Now we need to look forward to Monaco."

Vitaly Petrov: "I'm pleased to finish a race in dry conditions, although it was a shame to miss out on points. At the start of the race I decided it was better to be cautious because the first corner was very busy with a lot of cars all around me. I didn't gain any places but I knew I needed to stay out of trouble and avoid damaging the car. The rest of the race was quite straightforward: the team did a good job today, the balance was consistent and I had a nice battle with Kobayashi. Monaco's next and I'm really looking forward to driving an F1 car there for the first time. But, more than ever, it will be important to have a weekend without mistakes if we want to score points."

Williams
Rubens Barrichello: "After Saturday's disappointment this is a good result. We had a great start today, which allowed me to overtake five cars, and our pace was strong enough to stay with the Renaults and the Force Indias. We need to analyse it, but I think we were on the verge of a tyre issue in the last five laps. If it weren't for that, we would have finished closer to the guys just ahead of me. I am really happy considering where we were yesterday."

Nico Hulkenberg: "I had quite a good start. I don't understand why yet, but I always felt like I was in the wrong place at the wrong time going into the corners in the first lap. After the first stop, I went offline and damaged the car which resulted in a lot less downforce. From there, it became a very difficult race for me."

Toro Rosso
Jaime Alguersuari: "I've got to be happy with scoring a point, even if my race was a bit of a mess, with the problem at the pit stop with the front left wheel nut and then the penalty after my collision with Chandok, but mistakes are part of racing. I was pleased that I got a very good start as it was important to get past other cars immediately, if I was going to have a good race. The backmarkers were very tough to overtake as they don't move out of the way that much and they are really slow. I am pleased with tenth place, even if I am upset a bit, because it could have been so much better, especially as our race pace was very strong. Now we go to Monaco where I know there is more potential to come from me, as I am still learning a lot and there is more to come from the team and the car. It will be another new track for me, which I will need to learn well if I want to score points again. I feel very motivated about the next race."

Sebastien Buemi: "When the lights went out, initially I got off the line well and had a good start. A bit later, I was trying to pass De La Rosa going down the left side and he suddenly moved over towards me. We were very close and the impact broke my front wing, so I had to come in and change the nose. After that, my pace was not too bad, but then I got a drive-through for a pit lane infringement, but I'm not really sure why and finally I had to retire in the garage with a hydraulic problem. At least there are just a few days to Monaco when I can try again to get my first worthwhile result of the season."

sky star 2

Super VIP
REACTION: RB, FERRARI, MERC, McLAREN

Red Bull
Mark Webber: "Today was a special day, no doubt about it and I'm very happy to capitalise on the pole position. It's an aggressive run in to turn one with the slip stream and the big head wind and I knew the guys would be arriving in the braking zone, so I needed to be very precise with everything into there. I had that covered and then settled into the race. I was very happy with how the first stint went and I had a nice clean pit stop. Everything went my way today, it was very good. It felt like the longest Grand Prix I've ever done though! With the other victories there has been a bit more going on as I wasn't always in the lead, but today was all about watching the lap board go down and my god, it just takes forever! It was so good to get the victory, I'm just stoked, absolutely over the moon. We had a good set up and the car felt good. It's a credit to all the guys, they worked like hell both in the garage and in the factory, they buried themselves in the last two weeks. This is what you have to do to be successful and take on the likes of Ferrari and McLaren. It's not a tea party, we need to work hard and today's result is a credit to Red Bull Racing and to Renault."

Sebastian Vettel: "A lot of things didn't go my way today. The start was okay; there was no chance to get past Mark, but also it wasn't worth taking the risk. It was quite slippery, so I didn't want to take a run down the outside. I was not quick enough today. I struggled a lot with the balance of the car. The car's fast - Mark was in his own league today, but for some reason I found it difficult. There were a few problems. I was unlucky as I had a slow stop and had to wait in the pit box for the Ferrari to drive past and then Jenson was coming in, so it felt very long! We lost ground and the position. It was close when Lewis came out, but then he was impossible to pass. I felt the car was getting better, but as soon as you got close there was no chance to pass. Fifteen laps to the end, I lost the front left brakes and had to back off. I was lucky as there was a gap to Michael (Schumacher) behind me. I don't know how to feel as third is not a bad position, but I think we had a difficult race today with some things happening that we didn't want. It's good to take some points, the car is fast, but it was difficult."

Ferrari
Fernando Alonso: "I am happy with getting this second place in front of my fans: I am happy for them, but especially for the team, who have worked so hard this weekend without making mistakes. It's true the result came in an unexpected way, but that's racing. We knew we could expect a difficult Grand Prix, because on tracks like this we still don't have enough aerodynamic downforce to fight for pole position and the win, even if the races are very long and that was confirmed yet again today. In circumstances like this we have to try and attack and exploit every opportunity. Our strong point seems to be tyre management as ours seemed to be in better condition than those of our rivals in the final stages of the race. We have to up our performance level, but we do have the potential to win the championship. The management system for the blown rear wing worked well but it is still at the experimental stage. Maybe in Turkey we will have an updated version. Now we go to Monaco, a special Grand Prix that everyone wants to win. Set-up and tyres will be different to what we had here and we will see where that puts us compared to the others. After a few difficult races, I got back on the podium and I am second, three points behind the leader of the classification: there is still a long way to go in the championship, but I repeat, this is a great result."

Felipe Massa: "It was a difficult race. I got a good start but then I was always behind other cars and I never managed to run at a constant pace. Once again today, the main difficulty was a lack of grip, especially in the third sector: every time it looked as though I might close on Button, he managed to get away from me over some sections of the track. We must work to improve the car's performance and there is no doubt about it. Even though we brought home a good number of points, I can't be happy with the way things went this weekend. When I touched a backmarker, the left front wing end plate got broken, but the handling of the car was not affected much. If I'd returned to the pits to change the nose, I would have lost at least three places, so the decision to stay out on track was the right one. Now we immediately head for Monaco, my second home race, given that I live a few hundred metres from the track. We will have different tyres to here and I hope we go back to finding ourselves in a more favourable situation, at least from my point of view."

Mercedes
Michael Schumacher: "It was quite an entertaining race right from the start even if we knew from the beginning that there would not be a chance for us to compete for a podium place if everything goes as normal. Still it was exciting for me to manage to keep the position that I gained but then, I am obviously not too happy as today we could only defend. All we could do was to hope for reliability problems of others in order to make up positions and that's not really what you want to do. It was an interesting fight with Jenson but all I could do is try to not give him a possibility to overtake. In the end the gap to the front is just too big to be really happy after this race. For Monaco, we hope that the characteristics of the track will suit our car better."

Nico Rosberg:"The race didn't go my way today and, of course, it is frustrating to have finished outside of the points for the first time this season. We have a good upgrade on the car here which should be improving our performance but it just hasn't worked out for me here. In qualifying, I did the best that I could but starting from eighth position isn't where we wanted to be this weekend. In the race, I had the situation with Robert at the start when I tried for the gap but he didn't see me so I was pushed wide and then we had a problem at my first stop which dropped me back again. So it's been a disappointing weekend and we need to look into the reason why we have been off our usual pace."

McLaren
Jenson Button: "During the opening laps, my dashboard readout stopped working. The team was telling me over the radio to do things on the steering wheel but I couldn't see if I was doing the right things. And I couldn't see the rev lights either: most of the time I was pretty close with my gear-changes, but I was hitting the limiter quite a lot, which happens when you're getting a tow and you're shifting at different places. Then I was delayed at the first pitstop: there was a problem with the clutch dragging, so the guys couldn't get the wheel on, and then I had wheelspin. When I rejoined the track, I didn't know where Michael [Schumacher] was. Into Turn One, he turned in - and if I hadn't backed out of it, we would probably have crashed. As everyone knows, it's almost impossible to overtake around here, and Michael was moving about a bit to make sure I couldn't get past. That was frustrating because the pace of my car was really good this afternoon, but that doesn't make any difference if you can't overtake. I was trying so hard to get past that I damaged my tyres quite a bit; I flat-spotted a front and hurt the rears under traction. Fifth wasn't the result we'd wanted, and it wasn't the result we really deserved either because we were pretty quick. I guess you could say that was both a positive and a negative, because I couldn't get to use that pace fully today."

Lewis Hamilton: "Today, I was looking good to split the Red Bulls, and it would have been perfect for us in both world championships if I could have finished second this afternoon. I was just nursing the car to the finish line, then I suddenly felt the steering go, and then there was immediately a failure on the left-front corner. I didn't sense anything odd before the accident - the car was feeling great - so that's why it was such a surprise. We don't know what went wrong, but we'll take everything back to the McLaren Technology Centre [Woking, Surrey, UK] and work to find out. I think I drove a good race. I couldn't keep up with Mark [Webber] on my second set of tyres, but I was able to get past Sebastian [Vettel] as I came out of the pits. I have to say, there were problems with some of the backmarkers today - it felt like we were lapping some of them four or five times - and some of them were very bad at getting out of the way. I appreciate that it's not always easy for the backmarkers, and I know from the first half of last year what it's like to be lapped, but some of them were slowing on the racing line, and in fact I nearly collided with a couple of them when they did that. It was quite difficult at times, because there was such a big speed difference. I guess it may be more difficult still at Monaco. But, going back to today, I'm absolutely gutted that my accident happened so close to the finish of the race - but that's motor racing. The guys did an incredible job all weekend, though. There are many more races to go this season, and I'll keep my chin up. I know we can still fight for this championship."

sky star 2

Super VIP
WEBBER LOOKS FOR THAT LITTLE EXTRA

Mark Webber is hoping Red Bull can keep him "on the edge" if he is to maintain his Formula One title challenge this season.

Webber thrust himself back into contention with a dominant victory in Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix to leave him 17 points adrift of current champion and title leader Jenson Button.

In taking 25 points with his pole-to-flag triumph, it was almost as many as the 33-year-old Australian had collected from the opening four races.

Webber was out on his own at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya, and is now looking to keep it that way after struggling in some races this season despite Red Bull's superiority in qualifying.

"It is still very early days," was Webber's assessment of the title picture.

"We know there are some very competitive cars, ourselves, Ferrari and McLaren, and there are some pretty decent drivers as well.

"We just need to see how the car performs at different venues. They are pretty sensitive to different tracks.

"So there is a lot of water to go under the bridge yet in terms of how this will shake out in the next five or six months.

"What you need is a quick car, but you also need to have one that is always there for you.

"You need to build Formula One cars that are on the edge, and this is the balance everyone is chasing."

The streets of Monaco this weekend are where drivers and cars are pushed to the limit, a place Webber enjoys, but one where he has struggled in the past.

In eight attempts, Webber's best was third with Williams in 2005, whilst with Red Bull he has retired once and finished fourth and fifth in 2008 and 2009 respectively.

On this occasion, though, he believes the car should be good enough to challenge.

"We know it is a special venue, a one-off on the calendar," added Webber.

"It is a sensational challenge for the drivers, and we all like going there.

"You certainly couldn't have a track like it now if you wanted to design and build one, and it is a little bit on the edge.

"We know that, but we will go there and give it our best shot.

"We should have a car good enough for there, but we all know that a place on the front row will be king."