Which images come with openvpn preinstalled?

bu3askoor

Registered
Hello all,

I am using gemini2 5.1 and it came with openvpn preinstalled. I simply uploaded my config files and it is working great for almost 6 months.

I keep seeing new images and itching to try them out but many of them do not mention if they come with openvpn.

I would appreciate it if someone can share any information on this topic.

Thanks.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
The older Dreamelite images have open VPN but those images are getting dated.

Maybe you can explain to us how you setup openvpn, im sure that question has been asked a few time and im unclear on how its done myself.

A guide maybe ?

Ferret

gangoja

Registered
I'm intrested too like Ferret for any good tutorial for openvpn, I'm using dream elite 133D phoenix which has it preinstalled and I'll appreciate any example how to make it work, thanks in advance!!

bu3askoor

Registered
thank you all for your responses.

Well i have Gemini2 v5-1 installed which comes with openvpn preinstalled. Go to /etc/opnvpn folder and upload your configuration files. I have witopia vpn service. So i uploaded ca.crt, myvpn.conf, myvpn.crt, and myvpn.key. The files have been provided by witopia.

Then i edited the conf file so that it make the correct reference to the above mentioned files. example:
ca "/etc/openvpn/ca.crt"
key "/etc/openvpn/myvpn.key"
cert "/etc/openvpn/myvpn.crt"

then from blue button i went to services and enabled it and did a network test to ensure it is working fine.

another way is to telnet and try to execute
/etc/init.d/openvpn start

if any more info required i am more than happy to assist.

The above instruction are east to follow assuming you have your vpn keys and certs available with you.

gemeni2 is stable for me but i am always eager to try something new. I will try to back the image and try dreamelite.

Regards,
Saeed

ssilwadi

Registered
thank you all for your responses.

Well i have Gemini2 v5-1 installed which comes with openvpn preinstalled. Go to /etc/opnvpn folder and upload your configuration files. I have witopia vpn service. So i uploaded ca.crt, myvpn.conf, myvpn.crt, and myvpn.key. The files have been provided by witopia.

Then i edited the conf file so that it make the correct reference to the above mentioned files. example:
ca "/etc/openvpn/ca.crt"
key "/etc/openvpn/myvpn.key"
cert "/etc/openvpn/myvpn.crt"

then from blue button i went to services and enabled it and did a network test to ensure it is working fine.

another way is to telnet and try to execute
/etc/init.d/openvpn start

if any more info required i am more than happy to assist.

The above instruction are east to follow assuming you have your vpn keys and certs available with you.

gemeni2 is stable for me but i am always eager to try something new. I will try to back the image and try dreamelite.

Regards,
Saeed

Thank you Saeed for your explanation.

I have DM 800HD with Gemini2 v5-1 installed and I have Witopia VPN. I did exactly as you explained. However, the new OpenVPN installation from Witopia does not have myvpn.conf. It has files with extension .ovpn for each of their servers (e.g. 001 us - Atlanta, GA.ovpn). I took one of these files and renamed it to myvpn.conf and edit it as you descried.

When I go to Blue Panel - Services and click on OpenVPN Server, the circle beside it turn to yellow (Start up) and do not turn to green (Started). I tried issuing the command "/etc/init.d/openvpn start" from Telnet, I didn't have any error but it did not start the VPN Server.

I tried keeping the configuration file as is with .ovpn extension. When I start the OpenVPN Server from the to Blue Panel it stays yellow. However, when I issue the command from Telnet with the circle yellow I get “Starting openvpn: done. I do not know whether the VPN is working or not. The network test is all OK but I still can not connect to the sharing server.

I appreciate your help. I sent you my number by PM. Please call me if you can.

Samir