EBU: NS3 or DVBS2X?

Francescone

As you know, many EBU main feeds use Novelsat NS3 modulation, but it seems that any attempt to promote NS3 as standard is failed, and only EBU uses it yet. Anyone know if NS3 is planned for long time by EBU or have they any plan to switch to new DVBS2X? Any update is appreciated. Thanks.

Kalink

Registered
They will stay with NS3...they have supermux with NS3 on 11075V 10E and in next few years they will use NS3 for every feed

Francescone

Thank you Kalink for your info. So, bad luck.... It seems that Novelsat devices are not so appreciated by many professional users due to non-standard reasons, so I hoped that new DVBS2X could be one good choice for EBU, too.

Francescone

No, surely this is not main reason. OK, they don't like feedhunters, but they don't think to us making so important decisions about their service layout. NS3 was chosen because they dramatically dropped transponder leasing costs. NS3 carries many HD channels in a single 72 MHz transponder, so they can build, for example, one single bouquet for all CL matches played during an evening. Also, reception points get all matches in a single frequency. This is just an example. I believe this is possible with DVBS2X, too, so I hoped they could switch to it. So, are you sure they will stay with NS3 or is it just your opinion? Thanks.

Marthen

Registered
DVBS-2X build by DVB (Global Standard)
NS3 build by ETSI (European Standard)
So, NS3 it's not DVBS-2X

DVBS-2X = good, NS3 = very good..

Francescone

Yes I know that DVB-S2 is not NS3. They are different, but it's difficult to consider NS3 as a real standard. It's not standard, it's used only by the EBU, anyone else. And, as I know, Novelsat is a little bit out of business.... This is the reason of my initial question: will EBU continue to use a non-standard modulation system or will they switch to a standard one?