Enigma2 USB stick installer for CubeRevo/Ipbox 9*

arken

I see in this forum that a lot of people have difficulties installing Enigma2 on their boxes.
So I put together some scripts, and have made an easy Enigma 2 installer, allowing booting from USB stick.

This installer will automatically do the following:

1. Partition and format your USB stick in ext2 file system
2. Set the environment variables using NLB fw_setenv binary
3. Unpack the E2 image to your USB stick

You just need to run the script and reboot the box. That's all.

REQUIREMENTS:

1. An Enigma2 image suitable for USB boot (I prefer the first SifTeam E2 image)
2. NLB firmware installed on your box
3. USB stick (at last 256MB)

INSTALLATION:

1. Put a USB stick in the slot
2. ftp e2installer.tar.gz to /tmp on your box
3. telnet to your box
4. type the following commands:

cd /tmp
tar -zxvf e2installer.tar.gz
cd e2installer
./install

5. Follow the instructions; you will need to ftp the E2 image when prompted.

arken

Last edited:

hajj_3

Does the usb stick have to be empty, then we send the .tar.gz file to /temp/ on ftp, run telnet script, then ftp over the usb_update.img file to the usb pen?

Should we do all of this with the nlb already running or do we do this when its starting up or something?

Last edited:

hajj_3

didnt work for me, i held 3 down on my remote during booting for about 7mins and didnt do anything, just says "booting" on display, tv screen is blank, tried rebooting, did same again.

screenshot of my telnet:

2lku3bt.jpg

arken

@hajj_3
Sorry, stupid mistake, forgot to rename directory...
rename e2installer to e2inst, and everything will work.

Type this:
cd /tmp
mv e2installer e2inst
cd e2inst
./install

This is just installer, image not included. You have to download E2 SifTeam Image from here http://www.sat-universe.com/showthread.php?t=93130 and ftp to your box when prompted.

Download fixed version version of the script here:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WH8LAFQ4

Here is the updated instructions:

This installer will automatically do the following:

1. Partition and format your USB stick in ext2 file system
2. Set the environment variables using NLB fw_setenv binary
3. Unpack the E2 image to your USB stick

You just need to run the script and reboot the box. That's all.

REQUIREMENTS:

1. An Enigma2 image suitable for USB boot (I prefer the first SifTeam E2 image)
2. NLB firmware installed on your box
3. USB stick (at last 256MB)

INSTALLATION:

1. Put a USB stick in the slot
2. ftp e2inst.tar.gz to /tmp on your box
3. telnet to your box
4. type the following commands:

cd /tmp
tar -zxvf e2inst.tar.gz
cd e2inst
./install

5. Follow the instructions; you will need to ftp the E2 image when prompted.

Last edited:

Bro1

great installer mate thankyou,is there anyway it would work from other images apart from nlb :D

arken

@Bro1 It will work only with NLB image since only they compiled and included in their images fw_setenv binary, witch allows seting the enviroment variables without using serial cable connection.

Bro1

i put an lnb image one and did the tut but it is just stuck on booting,lights not flashing renamed the file like you said and got to this bit cd e2installer and said wrong directory or something like that

hajj_3

could do with updating the first post with new link and if any commands need updating do that too.

I'll try with the updated .tar.gz file tomorrow.

hajj_3

still doesnt work, still just says "booting" on the box when i press "3", here's my telnet session:

j9sthd.jpg

Bro1

when i get to the please wait unpacking,should take 1---2 minutes it only takes seconds and i get black screen aswell when booting up

arken

Looking at the logs, it seems that USB formatting and partitioning is OK, you have successfully installed E2 filesystem on USB stick, but for some reason setting environment variables does not work.
Surry guys, I really wanted to help.
The only thing you can do now is to setenv in traditional way:
1. Connect your box to your PC with nullmodem cable.
2. Google for putty, and download and start the program.
3. Select serial connection and 115200 speed.
2. Boot up your box.
4. Keep pushing ctrl+z on your pc 'til you got command line interface
5. Cut&paste this commands (in putty right click=paste):
Code:
setenv menu_1 'setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.50;setenv serverip 192.168.1.2;setenv gateway 192.168.1.1;setenv netmask 255.255.255.0;setenv bootargs "console=ttyAS1,115200 panic=3 bigphysarea=10240 root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=/root/Desktop/root rw rootpath=/root/Desktop/root ip=$ipaddr:$serverip:$gateway:$netmask mem=128m coprocessor_mem=4m@0x10000000,4m@0x10400000 init=/bin/devinit";setenv bootcmd "nfs a5ff0000 192.168.1.6:/root/Desktop/root/boot/uImage;bootm a5ff0000";saveenv;boot'

setenv menu_2 'setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.50;setenv serverip 192.168.1.2;setenv gateway 192.168.1.1;setenv netmask 255.255.255.0;setenv bootusb "run bootargsusb;usb reset;ext2load usb 0:1 a5ff0000 boot/uImage;bootm a5ff0000";setenv bootargsusb "setenv bootargs console=ttyAS1,115200 panic=3 bigphysarea=10240 root=/dev/sda1 rw rootdelay=10 init=/bin/devinit ip=$ipaddr:$serverip:$gateway:$netmask mem=128m coprocessor_mem=4m@0x10000000,4m@0x10400000";setenv bootcmd "run bootusb";saveenv;boot'

setenv menu_3 'setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.50;setenv serverip 192.168.1.2;setenv gateway 192.168.1.1;setenv netmask 255.255.255.0;setenv bootusb "run bootargsusb;usb reset;ext2load usb 0:1 a5ff0000 boot/uImage;bootm a5ff0000";setenv bootargsusb "setenv bootargs console=ttyAS1,115200 panic=3 bigphysarea=10240 root=/dev/sdb1 rw rootdelay=10 init=/bin/devinit ip=$ipaddr:$serverip:$gateway:$netmask mem=128m coprocessor_mem=4m@0x10000000,4m@0x10400000";setenv bootcmd "run bootusb";saveenv;boot'

setenv menu_4 'setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.50;setenv serverip 192.168.1.2;setenv gateway 192.168.1.1;setenv netmask 255.255.255.0;setenv bootargs "console=ttyAS1,115200 panic=3 root=/dev/mtdblock3 bigphysarea=1500 ip=$ipaddr:$serverip:$gateway:$netmask quiet";setenv bootcmd "bootm a0060000";saveenv;boot'

saveenv

Good luck.

Last edited:

arken

I tried this script on 2 other boxes.
Apparently fw_setenv binary is working *only* on boxes, that have been previously modified by nullmodem cable method. On new boxes it gives just CRC errors.
I hope the NLB will correct this in future releases.
Anyway you may use the script for formating/partitioning your USB stick - it is way faster and effective than other methods so far.
Also I noticed that in all other postings the setenv commands are messed up because of the LF/CR characters conversion, and when people are pasting it in putty, the just don't work. Those in previous post are right.

hajj_3

I'll wait for a more simple method i think, please post in here if nlb fixes the problem that fixes the crc errors and i'll re-try this method. Maybe the usb_update.img might work without needing to use telnet if nlb fix their image, fingers crossed!

JamesBond

Registered
@hajj_3
Sorry, stupid mistake, forgot to rename directory...
rename e2installer to e2inst, and everything will work.
Download fixed version version of the script here:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WH8LAFQ4

Funtastic, without this I was lost, nobody was talking that we have to make 2 partitions on the USB pen, after 4 hours of trying so many variations of doing the USB pen I find this !!!

So I read inside what your scripts wore doing and "voila" two partitions solved my problem and now I'm watching channels on enigma2 ehehhe, cooooollll :thum:

:eek:
Anyway you still have a bug inside the script findusb.sh at the line 5 you have:

if [[ "$RES" == "bad" ]] ; then

should be:

if [[ "$RES" == "ok" ]] ; then

at least for me was giving allways "err" so not formating the USB pen, after changing I got "/dev/sda" and "ok".

Hope this help. :D

Rage99

Seems to be so much trouble just to install it, wonder what this says about the actual image :rolleyes: