Apacer AL460 Full HD Media Player

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
I wasn't happy with any of the stbs serving as media players. I thought VU+ would change that but it didn't. It does support more formats then dm800 but that wasn't enough for me and picture quality wasn't that great when playing divx on it.

Not trying to advertise this product but I had to share my joy and how much I was pleased with this purchase. To be honest never even heard about this brand until couple of days ago when I was searching on the net for media players available in local computer shops.

View attachment 222558

Design is nice, especially glossy piano top. Picture and audio quality is good.

My main goal was something that supports many containers and codecs. This product certainly does.
I've tried playing any video I had and none of them failed.
Very pleasant surprise was that it could play videos from my pc (external hdd attached to my pc atually) over the network as if they were on the usb stick attached to the media player.
And my network is relatively slow considering that there is 2 hops of wifi connection to media player. My PC is connected to wifi router over wifi usb adapter and media player is connected with lan cable to a wifi ap in client mode which is also connected to wifi router. So I wasn't really expecting for this media player to be able to play the movies without picture jittering or some other problems. But it does.
You just enable dhcp in network settings of the al460 and it lists devices it finds in the network. It even finds VU+ duo and can play movies from it's hdd/usb. Which isn't really needed unless you need more control over subtitles. As this media player has really nice options of choosing subtitle size, color and encoding.
It supports wlan connection with wifi usb although I didn't test that.

Here are some of the specs from their website:

MEDIA SUPPORT

Audio MP3, WAV, WMA ,LPCM/PCM , AAC,OGG,Dolby Digital AC3
Video MPEG-1(MPG/DAT), MPEG-2(AVI/ISO/IFO/MPG/VOB), MPEG-4 (AVI/Xvid/ASP/AVC HD/H.264), WMV,FLV,MKV,RM/RMVB,TS,m2ts,mts,TP,MJPEG,MOV,VC-1
Photo JPEG,BMP,GIF (not support interlace/animation mode),TIF(Raw Data mode Only),PNG (not support interlace/animation mode )
DivX Subtitle IDX/SUB, SRT, SSA, SUB, SMI
DVD Folder DVD Menu/Audio/Subtitle

VIDEO OUTPUT

TV NTSC / PAL
Screen Ratio 4:3 / 16:9
Component 480p / 576p / 720p(50/60Hz) /1080i(50/60Hz)/1080P (50/60 Hz)

There is few things I didn't like:
There is no optical output. It is available in slightly more expensive model AL670 but I didn't find it a necessity for me so I don't care.

There is no option to jump to specific time in the video or to skip by 5,10 mins.
It does have ff up to 32x but still I'd prefer if I had an option to skip straight to 30th minute of the movie for example rather then wait for fast forward to get there.

When you are listing a folder on pc you can only go one by one when going down the list. That's a small issue since it will auto scroll when you hold up/down arrow pressed but I always pay attention to details which could improve efficiency so I though it would be nice if left/right arrow could serve to jump by 5 or 10 files in the folder. Since nowadays I am sure there is more and more people that have big movie collections so it is not unexpected to have a folder with something like 100 movies or more. So it would save few seconds of your time if you could jump from 1st to 50th file in the list with few pushes of the button rather then wait for auto scroll to get there.

I imagine last two issues I mentioned could be adjusted with firmware upgrade.

Bottom line, considering the price is around 90eur I'd consider it a great buy.

Rolly

Registered
Greetings Rocknroll,

I've received the same player as a present recently and for some reason I am having problems with the network settings.

I have tried both the auto (via DHCP) and manual IP settings and the player cannot find anything shared over the network.
I have a desktop PC with XP SP3 sharing movies and also an external USB HDD (WD 1TB) connected to a Linksys WRT160NL router via USB that is also sharing movies. Alas, nothing is seen by the player...?!? Btw, I am using the latest firmware available for the AL460.

Can you provide some help?
10x.

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Don't know really if I can be of any help. I've only had it for few days as well.

Maybe you could try messing with routers lan settings, like if UPnP is enabled or not or some other setting that might effect local network devices.
Does Apacer pick up the proper range ip when you have dhcp enabled?
How is the player connected, via ethernet cable or wifi usb?

My firmware version is 2.7.0407 but it shouldn't make much difference I imagine network should work on older firmwares as well.

Rolly

Registered
I disabled the UPnP and the SPI Firewall with no effect :mecry:
The player is connected via ethernet cable and it picks up good IP from the DHCP. I am with the same firmware version.

By the way, if you http the player's IP, you will find a simple html+cgi script for calculation the sum of 2 numbers :)

But the interesting part is that you can telnet the player and login as "root" to examine the player's linux based OS.
I'll check what I can find...

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
It is really strange that you can telnet to the player from your pc and yet player doesn't see your pc. Maybe you have some software firewall on your pc that is blocking the incoming connection.

Yes, seems the player has busybox. From what I could see it has mount command, so I guess it could even mount a folder from pc theoretically.

My router is Airlive, I have upnp enabled, and auto configure for it enabled, spi is disabled.

Rolly

Registered
I was thinking about some firewall issue but I have no additional firewalls installed.... and maybe indeed something is interfering and causing problems...just I don't know what...
On the desktop PC I turned off the windows firewall and I did the same on my laptop with Vista which is wirelessly connected to the network. Both machines are sharing video files as well as the external HDD.

Here are some pics on the network settings I tried with the player.
Can you check if the setting is similar on your side?

http://rapidshare.com/files/405149708/LAN_setup.jpg
http://rapidshare.com/files/405149896/DHCP.jpg
http://rapidshare.com/files/405149963/manual_IP.jpg
http://rapidshare.com/files/405150010/see_nothing.jpg

I am starting to think if it could be some strange incompatibility between my router's firmware and the media player...

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Yeah your screens are fine other then last one. I get workgroup name of my PC in that list.

Maybe something is setup differently on your pc. Do you have My network places icon on your desktop? When you visit that do you have any folders there?

Rolly

Registered
My current workgroup is set to 'Home' and I do not see it in My network places. I see only 'My Web Sites on MSN' link.

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
My current workgroup is set to 'Home' and I do not see it in My network places. I see only 'My Web Sites on MSN' link.

Maybe that's the difference. I get all the folders I share listed there including those on external hdd.
Have you actually enabled sharing on any of the folders as in right click on the folder -- properties -- sharing -- network sharing and security -- tick share this folder on network.

Rolly

Registered
Yes, the folders are shared because the 2 PCs see each other's shares and the ones on the external HDD.

But maybe there is some problem with the workgroup as I cannot see it from the player. I wonder whether the workgroup can somehow be adjusted in the player's config files...

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Yes, the folders are shared because the 2 PCs see each other's shares and the ones on the external HDD.

But maybe there is some problem with the workgroup as I cannot see it from the player. I wonder whether the workgroup can somehow be adjusted in the player's config files...

I doubt you can do anything on the player's side to solve the issue.
Maybe you could try running a "setup a home or small office network" wizard on your pc.

Rolly

Registered
I was finally able to see the network shares only when connecting the player directly with the Vista laptop.

Seems there is something wrong with my router that does not allow the player to connect properly...

Rolly

Registered
Problem solved by updating to the latest router firmware.
Now, the only thing I have to care is that the player has no DTS audio support...which seems to be fixed in the higher model AL670.

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Problem solved by updating to the latest router firmware.
Now, the only thing I have to care is that the player has no DTS audio support...which seems to be fixed in the higher model AL670.

Glad you got it sorted. Yes AL670 has a few improvements compared to AL460 but I didn't find any of them crucial to me so I just went for cheaper one.

bigbud7

Registered
Guys i am desperate with this player i just installed the new firmware and all i got is the screen only displaying the apacer logo plus the fact that the controller stopped responding and generally from the look of this stuck i think the player is bricked....no reset buttons no nothing so that why i used the word desperate ((((

vik2010

Registered
Network login failure on Apacer AL460

Hello Guys,

I am happy to see that we are using the same media player and it means that maybe you can help me to solve a little problem.

AL460 is connected to the private network and the name of the 'workgroup PC' is visible on the screen. When I want to access the folders inside the PC, the mediaplayer is asking for name and password (i am entering the Network name and password).
After clicking OK and a few seconds, the screen is showing the following message 'LOGON RATE'.
Did you see already that ? and do you know how to solve it?

Bets regards and thank you for your help :thum:

Kassius 7

Registered
Hello everybody :)

Having a slight problem playing MKV files on my AL460. Can't get them to play with sound. the picture is perfect but no sound at all.

If enyone can help me out here I would r'eally appreciate it :)

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Hello everybody :)

Having a slight problem playing MKV files on my AL460. Can't get them to play with sound. the picture is perfect but no sound at all.

If enyone can help me out here I would r'eally appreciate it :)

Never had any problem with any kind of MKV file. Are you sure you got the latest firmware?
Maybe try audio button on remote if the file has multiple tracks.

Btw I think there is a possibility of using AL670 firmware on AL460, but haven't really looked into it further. There is a video on youtube about it.

_FoGi_

Registered
Hi, I just bought two of these AL460 units on the same day (so hopefully they are from the same batch with same bios), one was simple to set up - the other not so much so.
The successful setup was done via adsl router to a Windows 7 based desktop pc. Simple as pie and works like a dream.

My second setup is done with the exact same network and sharing settings, firewall, etc settings (same antivirus, antispyware programs and same Windows updates installed) on one pc as in the first setup (also Windows 7) and a Windows XP pc, both connected to a networking switch and a router of exactly the same type as in the first (working) setup. I am able to access the Windows XP pc fine from the AL460, without it even asking me for a Username and Password, whereas the Windows 7 pc connection will not allow me access, failing login no matter what I try.

I am able to successfully navigate the rest of the network via pc and access all shared resources that I have set up on either pc. All drives are shared with full control to all users (read and write permissions set) in both Security and Sharing sections.

Is there something specifically I need to set on my Windows 7 pc that might help?

ALSO - My settings are more or less as follows:
Firewall - off
Password Protected Sharing - off
File And Printer Sharing - On
Network Discovery - on
File Sharing Connections - Use 128bit Encryption...
HomeGroup Connections - Allow Windows to Manage
Media Streaming - on
Public Folder Sharing - on
Local Area Connection Settings - Static, all addresses within proper range and subnets match
Homegroup and Sharing - All shared
Network Type - Home Network

It's quite a mouthfull, but I am really hoping you could assist me here - I am reaching the end of my rope...

Thanks

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
@ who ever is having some issues with this player I think it is worth a shot to send Apacer support an email. They were fast and kind to reply once I send them some question.