MKFS error how to manually format HDD in E2

j911

Registered
I installed a 1TB Hitachi hdd in my cuberevo twin pvr running enigma2 0.50. Upon first run I ran hdd initialisation and it seemed to go through fine.

Upon reboot when i tried to record a stream it threw the error no hdd or not not initialised. So upon trying to reformat I got the "mkfs failed to format"

Using telnet I tried to manually format using:

fdisk -l (to view installed media and partitions)
hdd showed up as /dev/sda

so i created a single partition spanning 1000GB. by

fdisk /dev/sda

then type "n" to create new partition. "p" to create primary then press "1" for partition number. Finally allocate a size to the partition, I just pressed enter here to allow maximum size and then "w" to commit changes.

Next typed in

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1

threw an error saying "Memory allocation failed while setting up superblock"

Key is to create a swap partition as the box runs out of ram to allocate for formatting blocks.

So using above method create two partitions

fdisk /dev/sda
press "d" to delete current partition
then "n" to create new partition following above procedure. When you get to setting size of the partition you can use "+ 'whateversize' GB" e.g. I used +990GB

similarly create partition 2 and you can press enter when it comes to allocating size as it will use remainder of disk space.

to create the swap file:

mke2fs /dev/sda2
mkswap /dev/sda2
swapon /dev/sda2

Somebody did mention that you can use a spare usb to create the swapfile on. Process would be the same for creating sda2. Hopefully should save you a few MB's on your hdd.

Once it's completed creating the swap you can now format the main partition using
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1

Alternatively you can try formatting from enigma2 menu.

Hope it comes in handy to somebody.

Credits go to Ulyss62 from Asusforum.net

j911

Registered
Forgot to mention, you will have to ftp in and create a folder called "movies" on your hdd for recordings to work. Otherwise you will see a message. "A recording message was passed to the timer service."

Or "No hddd found or not initialised"

i have to add that ext3 is slower on the cuberevo for some reason. its better to use mkfs.ext2 instead
some have problems when recording with ext3.

Not sure if its both DGS and E2,

mite try a benchmark and see whats the best.....

ext3 is normally better than ext2...