activate fan ipbox 910?

luisan1977

Registered
hola, the first thing to ask forgiveness for my English.

I have a question, I would like to know how to activate the fan ipbox 910, because the menu is disabled and gives me no option to activate it.

IPnord

Registered
How to remove IPbox 910 Fan noise

I have the same: the fan seems to work continously.

The Fan in IPBox 910 is directly connected with the 12V supply, so it can't be disablet without hardware modifications.
If you haven't installed any harddisk you can try and disconnect it. That should be OK as the power-consumption is equal to the 900 box.

You can make the fan inaudible if you are handy with a soldering iron:
*Unplug the box.
*substitute R43 (100R resistor placed at the left side of the PSU - just below the text) with an 150R to 180R, 1/2W resistor.

I used 180R myself, but if your box seems hot you must use a lower value.

/IPnord

bobdisk

Registered
My fan was LOUD LOUD LOUD!!!in my IP9000. I replaced it with a good quality ball bearing type from a computer part shop. Nice and quiet! It is 12V 0.08A. The original was a sleeve bearing type, cheap and nasty!. I noticed that the hard drive always stays on, even in standby, but the fan goes off. The hdd was then getting VERY hot. The hdd only goes off if the STB Power Control menu is set to Shutdown. The fan control in the HDD setup menu only brings the fan on when the box is on, or switches the fan permanently off, leaving the hdd without any cooling. I have had problems when hdds get too hot, so I wired the fan into the hdds 12V supply. Hdd on, fan on. I have put a small 12V fan on the processor, fed from the original fan supply socket. The control for this is ok, the processor is now also nice and cool.

bobdisk

Registered
A PTC (positive temperature coefficient) thermistor would not be suitable for fan control, see your own link. It relies on through current to heat it, and as it heats, its resistance rises, so if used for a fan, the fan would slow down as the resistance rises, so decreasing the cooling effect. It is important to keep the hard drive from getting too hot. What I was hearing was a mechanical noise from the fan, there was not too much air flow noise, see my previous post.