CentOS 5.1

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
From distrowatch.org:

Karanbir Singh has announced the release of CentOS 5.1, a Linux distribution built by recompiling the source RPM packages for the recently released Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.1: "We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of CentOS-5.1 for the i386 and x86_64 architectures. CentOS-5.1 is based on the upstream release 5.1, and includes packages from all variants including Server and Client. All upstream repositories have been combined into one, to make it easier for end users to work with. And the option to further enable external repositories at install time is now available in the installer. This is the first release where we are also publishing a special 'netinstall' ISO image that can be used to start a remote install." Read the release notes and release notes for further information. Download: CentOS-5.1-i386-bin-DVD.iso (3,667MB, MD5, torrent), CentOS-5.1-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso (4,237MB, MD5, torrent).

jezekilj

Registered
Hi

I was using CENTOS 5.3 64 bit version in order to use full capacity of RAM adn to ran two wirtual machines in the same time on WMVARE

Unfortenately I could not make wireless working.
I swithc to ubuntu 8.10 64 bit

Rock could you advise what is the latest STABLE ubuntu 64 bit version?

Is it worth switching form 8.10 to this new ?

Thanks

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
As for Ubuntu I've already answered in that other thread that 8.10 is latest official release. Not sure if it is good idea to use Beta versions.

But I don't know why you don't give Fedora a try if you are using it for personal use.

Centos is mostly used on servers.

jezekilj

Registered
Rock thanks for confirming it

it is for personal and business use:

I have to run Bea Web Logic Oracle and web based application.

So I decided to go to centos as I want to use full 4 MB of RAM.
I also test connection to server and all is for testing purposes and demonstration