Latest Serie A News

sky star 2

Super VIP
Nedved rejects return rumours
Old Lady favourite to keep boots hung up

Pavel Nedved has reaffirmed his decision to call time on what has been an illustrious career, according to reports emanating from Italy.

The brilliant Czech midfielder announced at the end of last season that he felt the time was right to hang up his boots, having started out in the professional game 18 years ago.

In that time Nedved, 37, has proved himself to be one of Europe's finest midfielders and despite his advanced years, there were plenty of clubs eager to speak to him over the summer.

Juventus were reportedly ready to offer him a pay-as-you-play deal to prolong his stay in Turin, with champions Inter Milan also rumoured to be readying an offer.

In a bid to clarify his position and quell any talk of a U-turn over his retirement plans, Nedved has issued a statement via his agent Mino Raiola.

"I am not to continue to play football anymore," Gazzetta.it quote him as saying.

Nedved began his career at Dukla Prague before successful spells at Sparta Prague, Lazio and Juventus.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Tiago to stay at Juve
Portugal international to stay at Stadio Olimpico

Juventus sporting director Alessio Secco insists Tiago is going nowhere despite the imminent arrival of Felipe Melo.

Tiago has had a disappointing two years in Italy, and the 28-year-old former Chelsea midfielder suggested earlier this summer that he may look to move on.

However, although Brazil international Melo is expected to complete his switch from Fiorentina shortly, Secco has revealed that new coach Ciro Ferrara feels Tiago still has an important role to play.

"We have had several offers for him, but he isn't going anywhere," he told Juventus Channel.

"We are strongly relying on Tiago as part of a midfield trio as that's what Ferrara wants."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Livorno give up on Lucarelli
Deal falls through because of agent's demands

Livorno have given up hope of signing former player Cristiano Lucarelli because of his agent's excessive financial demands.

The 33-year-old scored 92 league goals in just 146 appearances during his four year stay with him hometown club and after short spells with Shakhtar Donetsk and Parma, the striker was linked with a return to the Stadio Armando Picchi.

The Italian was expected to sign for the newly promoted Serie A side but club president Aldo Spinelli believes the deal is now dead.

Spinelli stated that the player's agent was the reason behind the failed negotiations, with the Livorno chief declaring there was no chance of the transfer being resurrected.

"Due to the continuing and unjustified requests from the player's agent, the club have concluded the negotiations in a negative way," he told Sky Italia.

"We have had a lot of quarrels in the past and I don't want to restart. I don't have the will.

"Lucarelli phoned me saying his agent can't lose money. I told him that this was not my problem.

"I called (Tommaso) Ghirardi (Parma president) and I told him that I don't want to continue.

"I'm only sorry for Parma who have shown a big responsibility with the player."
Barred from coaching

Meanwhile Livorno manager Gennaro Ruotolo has been told by the Italian Football Association that he cannot continue managing the team until he receives the necessary badges.

The Italian guided the club to the top flight having won the Serie B play-offs last term and he must now finish his coaching badges or risk being replaced.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Fabiano 'closer' to Milan move
Leonardo optimistic deal will soon be concluded

AC Milan head coach Leonardo has claimed the club are 'closer' to securing the signature of Sevilla striker Luis Fabiano.

Milan have made little secret of their interest in the Brazil international as they look to bolster their frontline following the departure of Kaka to Real Madrid.

It has been reported that Sevilla will settle for no less than Fabiano's £26million release clause, although Milan are said to be reluctant to pay such a fee.

However, Leonardo, who took over at the San Siro after Carlos Ancelotti's move to Chelsea, is optimistic a deal could be in the offing.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Zlatan in Blues claim
Striker flattered by interest

Inter Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has claimed Chelsea want to sign him.

Ibrahimovic's future at Inter has been the subject of intense speculation all summer with Real Madrid and Manchester United both linked with the Swedish international.

Inter are determined to keep hold of their star striker with president Massimo Moratti adamant Ibrahimovic is going nowhere.

Chelsea confirmed last week that they are keen to bring in a big-name signing this summer and Ibrahimovic is the latest name to be linked with a move to Stamford Bridge.

Ibrahimovic admits he is flattered by Chelsea's interest, but insists money will not be the main motivating factor in any move.

"I am fully aware that Chelsea want to sign me and, of course, it is very flattering," Ibrahimovic told the News of the World.

"They are one of the biggest teams in Europe and the Premier League is one of the best leagues in the world.

"Money is not the most important thing, I will base my decision on what's good for me, what suits me."

"It is about asking: will I still be able to be special in the league that I am going to, to the team that I am going to?

"Are my qualities right for the Premier League or not?"

sky star 2

Super VIP
Ibra admits Barca interest
Inter striker wanted by European champions

Sweden striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has admitted he would be interested in a move to Barcelona from Inter Milan.

Barca president Joan Laporta confirmed on Friday that the two clubs had reached an 'agreement in principal' over a potential transfer.

The proposed deal would see Ibrahimovic move to Camp Nou, with Barca striker Samuel Eto'o and midfielder Alexander Hleb heading in the opposite direction.

Reports have suggested that Inter are willing to accept €40million (£34.6million) plus Eto'o and the season-long loan signing of Hleb in order to let Ibrahimovic move to Spain.

The two clubs have already concluded one piece of business this summer, with Brazilian full-back Maxwell agreeing a transfer to the European champions, and are now locked in talks over the complicated second deal.

Ibrahimovic, who has been with Inter since 2004, insists he is not looking to engineer a move, but would welcome the chance to test his skills in La Liga.

He told Swedish tabloid Expressen: "There's a chance that I'll go to Barcelona if a concrete offer is made.

"In this case it would be interesting for me.

"It's up to Inter to decide what they want to do. I respect my contract. I do my job and am happy to be here."

While Laporta said on Friday a deal had been struck, he did also indicate the clubs were still waiting on Eto'o to agree a move to Inter.

"I can't say that it will still happen if one of the conditions isn't fulfilled since the signing has been agreed in a comprehensive manner," he said.

"I spoke with Samuel on Tuesday and after the dinner in Italy. I'm not going to disclose these conversations. I'll only say that his move is not a question of money.

"He is a professional and his work has to be rewarded, but his priority is not money. It's other things."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Eto'o 'honoured' by Inter link
Interest from Italian champions flatters Barca ace

Barcelona star Samuel Eto'o is honoured to be linked with a swap move involving Inter Milan's Zlatan Ibrahimovic, according to the striker's agent.

Eto'o is expected to leave the Camp Nou this summer and was the subject of interest from Manchester City before the Premier League club ended their pursuit.

Inter have now emerged as favourites to sign the Cameroon international, with boss Jose Mourinho a long-term admirer, while Ibrahimovic, who has been the subject of talks with Barca, could move in the opposite direction.

Eto'o's representative, Jose Mesalles, is now set to travel to Italy for discussions next week as a potential transfer, which could also include Alexander Hleb, edges closer.

And the 27-year-old is said to be flattered by admiration from the Giuseppe Meazza, with Mesalles telling Ona Fm radio: "The club from Milan is a very important one.

"We cannot be anything but honoured, but I cannot say anything.

"These type of negotiations cannot be done over the phone and must be made in person."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Leonardo open to Becks return
Milan coach would welcome back midfielder

AC Milan coach Leonardo would welcome David Beckham back at the San Siro.

The Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder impressed during a six-month loan spell with the Rossoneri last season and speculation is rife that he could return to Milan in January.

Beckham went to visit his former team-mates at their LA training ground ahead of a pre-season friendly between the Galaxy and Milan.

And Leonardo admits there is a possibility the England international will be back at the San Siro in the future.

"David had and has a good rapport with all of us," the Milan boss told the club's official website. "He helped us so much when he wore our shirt.

"Moreover, he is a good person and also the very fact that he came here to see us proves how much he feels for us.

"It was a really nice gesture.

"David is without doubt a very intelligent player and I don't think there is anything strange to say that he could come back into my plans, because he can fit into any system."
No gamble

Meanwhile, Leonardo is confident Luis Fabiano would prove an excellent addition at Milan, should the club secure his services from Sevilla.

Sevilla and Milan have yet to reach an agreement over the striker's valuation, with reports suggesting a deal could be in jeopardy.

Leonardo said: "Luis Fabiano? He would not be a gamble. What is missing for him is to play at a big club. We are talking about a good player.

"If we cannot sign him then we remain as we are. We have a good group and we are in no hurry."

sky star 2

Super VIP
PALACIO SET FOR GENOA MOVE

Genoa are close to completing the signing of Argentina international Rodrigo Palacio from Boca Juniors.

Reports in the Italian press claim the Serie A outfit have already reached an agreement with Boca Juniors for the transfer of the 27-year-old striker to Genoa on a 5million euros deal.

Palacio is set to pen a four-year contract with the Grifoni outfit.

The South American star helped Boca Juniors clinch the Torneo Apertura earlier this year.

sky star 2

Super VIP

MILAN TO END LUIS FABIANO INTEREST

AC Milan are unlikely to make an improved offer for Sevilla forward Luis Fabiano after having their initial bid rejected.

The Rossoneri had hoped to lure the Brazil international to the San Siro but have not met Sevilla's asking price.

Milan general manager Adriano Galliani told Corriere dello Sport: "We have not made another offer for Luis Fabiano.

"The offer made is our initial one and nothing has changed."

The 28-year-old has a £26million release clause and the Italian club are said to be reluctant to pay such a fee.

Milan's lawyer and transfer consultant, Leandro Cantamessa, added: "The negotiations for Luis Fabiano have led nowhere.

"Our negotiations have only been with Sevilla and not with the player.

"Our offer was turned down. I don't know if we will make another offer but I don't think we will."

sky star 2

Super VIP
MUNTARI EXPECTS ZLATAN TO STAY

Inter Milan midfielder Sulley Muntari is confident team-mate Zlatan Ibrahimovic will stay at the club.

The Swedish striker has been at the centre of transfer speculation in Europe in recent months, with Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid among the clubs reportedly keen to acquire the 27-year-old's services..

However, Muntari, who is undergoing pre-season training with Inter in Los Angeles, believes Ibrahimovic will remain at the San Siro.

"Ibra has told us that he will stay with us and he is in fact here with us," Muntari told Mediaset.

"Where do you want him to go? He is going nowhere."

Ibrahimovic, who finished as last season's top scorer in Serie A, is under contract with Inter until June 2013.

sky star 2

Super VIP
SEVILLA: NO OFFERS FOR LUIS FABIANO

Sevilla have not received any "formal offers" for Luis Fabiano and expect the Brazilian striker to remain at the club next season.

Fabiano has been strongly linked with a move to AC Milan this summer but the reported bid made by the Italian giants has not met Sevilla's asking price.

"We do not have a formal offer for Luis Fabiano," said Sevilla president Jose Maria Del Nido in a press conference.

"The offer presented by AC Milan was withdrawn as the Italian club currently does not have the money to sign Luis Fabiano."

The 28-year-old, who finished as the top scorer in the Confederations Cup, has a £26million release clause.

"Fabiano will join us in pre-season training on July 21," said Del Nido.

"I believe he will continue with us for two further seasons."

sky star 2

Super VIP
MELO SEALS £20m JUVENTUS MOVE

Brazilian midfielder Felipe Melo has joined Juventus in a 25 million euro transfer from Fiorentina, the Turin giants confirmed.

Melo has signed a five-year contract with Juventus after undergoing a medical in Brazil.

A statement from the club read: "Felipe Melo is a Juventus player.

"The player, who is currently on holiday in Brazil, will join the team on July 22.

"He has been signed on a permanent transfer in a 25 million euros transfer fee to be payable over three years.

"Juventus and the player have signed a five-year contract."

Melo, who arrived in Florence from Spanish side Almeria last summer, was also a target of Arsenal.

The 25-year-old, who won the Confederations Cup with Brazil last month, said after putting pen to paper: "I am delighted to have joined Juventus.

"I cant wait to start work with my new team.

"I hin Italy and in Europe."

sky star 2

Super VIP
MELO SEALS £20m JUVENTUS MOVE

Brazilian midfielder Felipe Melo has joined Juventus in a 25 million euro transfer from Fiorentina, the Turin giants confirmed.

Melo has signed a five-year contract with Juventus after undergoing a medical in Brazil.

A statement from the club read: "Felipe Melo is a Juventus player.

"The player, who is currently on holiday in Brazil, will join the team on July 22.

"He has been signed on a permanent transfer in a 25 million euros transfer fee to be payable over three years.

"Juventus and the player have signed a five-year contract."

Melo, who arrived in Florence from Spanish side Almeria last summer, was also a target of Arsenal.

The 25-year-old, who won the Confederations Cup with Brazil last month, said after putting pen to paper: "I am delighted to have joined Juventus.

"I cant wait to start work with my new team.

"I hin Italy and in Europe."

sky star 2

Super VIP
MARCHIONNI JOINS VIOLA

Fiorentina have completed the signing of midfielder Marco Marchionni from Juventus.

The 28-year-old winger has penned a three-year contract with the Viola.

"Fiorentina was always my first choice," said Marchionni, who will be reunited with former Parma coach Cesare Prandelli in Florence.

Marchionni made 27 league appearances for the Turin giants last season.

Fiorentina are set to confirm later today the departure of Brazil midfielder Felipe Melo to Juve.

sky star 2

Super VIP
BARCA AGREE MAXWELL FEE

Barcelona have reached an agreement with Inter Milan to sign Brazilian defender Maxwell for a fee which could rise to 5million euros (£4.2m).

The 27-year-old, who has been with Inter since 2006, will fill the left-back spot at the Nou Camp, vacated by the departure of Sylvinho earlier this summer.

A statement on Barcelona's official website tonight read: "Barcelona and Inter Milan have agreed in principle the transfer of the Brazilian player Maxwell. The price of the transfer would be of 4.5million euros, with 0.5m more dependent on variables."

Should the transfer go through, former Ajax man Maxwell would be the first signing of the summer for the Champions League winners.

While arch rivals Real Madrid have already splashed out over 200million euros on Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Raul Albiol, the Catalans have been quiet on the transfer front.

David Villa has been linked with a move to the club, but Barcelona president Joan Laporta insists they will not break the bank to get him, revealing they have other options lined up if they fail in their bid to land the Valencia striker.

The treble winners have already made an offer for Villa but reports suggest it is significantly less than the 50million euros Valencia are demanding.

And Laporta has revealed they will turn their attention elsewhere if Los Che refuse to back down.

"We're not going to spare no expense," he said.

"Villa is a player who could interest us in certain conditions but if those aren't met, we have to activate other equally valid options and evaluate which of those are more fitting to the conditions we are interested in."

sky star 2

Super VIP
POULSEN EXIT ON THE CARDS

The Italian agent of Christian Poulsen admits his client could leave Juventus this summer.

The Turin club could consider letting the Dane go following the arrival of high-profile midfielders Diego and Felipe Melo from Werder Bremen and Fiorentina respectively.

Poulsen has been linked with a move to the Premier League, with Liverpool, Tottenham and Sunderland reportedly keen to sign him - while Barcelona have made tenative enquiries.

"The arrival of Felipe Melo means there are several players for one position," Poulsen's representative Vincenzo Morabito told Tuttosport.

"It is possible that the club will consider selling Poulsen.

"This is what has been said but that doesn't mean that Poulsen will be forced to leave."

Poulsen joined Juve last summer from Sevilla in a 9.75million euro (£8.3million) transfer deal.

The 29-year-old, who made 25 Serie A appearances for the Bianconeri last season, is under contract with Juve until June 2012.

His agent Jorn Bonnesen told bold.dk: "There has been a request from a Spanish agent relating to Barcelona.

"He asked whether Christian would be interested in joining Barcelona.

"You never know what will happen, but Juventus' sporting director (Alessio Seccio) has also admitted to being in contact with Barca."

sky star 2

Super VIP
LUCIO DEAL NOT DONE YET

Lucio's transfer to Inter Milan from Bayern Munich is not a done deal yet, according to the Italian club's president Massimo Moratti.

The Brazil captain is expected to sign a three-year contract with the Italian champions but Moratti refuted the claim of the Bayern Munich website that the deal had been completed.

"Lucios signing? It is not yet official," Moratti told the club's official website.

"From what I know it's not all definite."

The 31-year-old joined Bayern in the summer of 2004 from Bayer Leverkusen and is under contract with the German giants for a further year.

Moratti admitted the arrival of Lucio would bring to an end Inter's quest to acquire Chelsea stars Deco and Ricardo Carvalho.

sky star 2

Super VIP
GENOA AGREE PALACIO FEE

Genoa have reached an agreement with Boca Juniors for the transfer of Argentina international Rodrigo Palacio to the Serie A outfit.

The 27-year-old striker will arrive in Italy in the next few days to undergo a medical before putting pen to paper.

A statement from the club read: "Argentina striker Rodrigo Palacio will arrive in Genoa in the coming days.

"An agreement has been reached for the transfer of the player."

The South American star, who helped Boca clinch the Apertura earlier this year, is set to sign a four-year deal with Genoa.

sky star 2

Super VIP
AQUILANI NOT ANFIELD BOUND - AGENT

The agent of Alberto Aquilani has brushed aside reports suggesting the Italy playmaker will leave Roma for Liverpool this summer.

Speculation in Italy claimed a delegation from the Barclays Premier League outfit had arrived in Rome to offer 16million euros for the player.

The highly-rated 25-year-old is considered a candidate to replace Xabi Alonso, who has been linked with a move to Real Madrid.

But Aquilani's agent Franco Zabaglia told asromanews.it: "Alberto to Liverpool? Let's not say silly things.

"There's no point in even talking about this subject because there is no truth in this.

"The player recently extended his contract with Roma and is working towards recovering and giving his best to Roma."

Aquilani is under contract with the Eternal City outfit until June 2013.

A right ankle injury limited the player to just 14 league appearances for the Giallorossi last season.