low symbol rates

umberto55

Registered
Hi, I have one question: with my motorized 110 cm dish and decoder humax HD5600S i can see a lot of satellite channels.
I cannot see by now channels with low symbol rates: so i can see channels with 27500, 22000, 30000 symbol rates but not those with values round 7000, 3000 and so on.
Can someone tells me why? it depends on decoder, dish, LNB?
thanks a lot for Your answers.
Bye

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
Depends on Tuner in your Satellite Reciever
Humax HD5600S obviously has a very weak tuner therefor you do not lock Low SR Feeds .
For Example My TM5402 M3 Locks FTA TEST Feed @ 7 East 12530 H SR 1481
You should consider to upgrade your satellite receiver if you wish to catch channels and feeds with very Low SYMBOL RATE .
Good luck : ))

philipsz

Registered
It is not just a case of low symbol rates, many other factors will affect reception:

Of course a good receiver with a low threshold

A good dish and LNB

Don't forget FEC (Forward Error Correction) a FEC of 2/3 will be less effected by a weak signal than a FEC of 8/9.
Here the last bit (the 9th) has to check for errors on the previous 8.

My own experiences receiving UK channels overseas, are that DVB-S2 is more susceptible to interference is fringe areas.

Just a few thoughts, not an expert

umberto55

Registered
dear Philipsz, thanks a lot for your answer. With my receiver and dish i can see UK channels, even though i guess that some channels are not 24/24 hrs functioning (i.e. BBC news HD). However, have You any suggestion, like Barney115, concerning a good (not too expensive) receiver for low symbol rates channels? bye, Umberto