Recommended Satellite PC Card

futura2012

Registered
Hello Everyone

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a Satellite Card for a PC?

I am running Windows XP on a relatively new machine so have both PCI and PCI-E sockets available.

I have dreamware receivers so am ideally looking for something I can flash, upgrade, hack etc just like the dreamboxes.

I havent seen much about this so I am unsure if its viable to do this with a Card as opposed to a dedicated receiver.

I could also run Linux on another machine if you think this would be better than a Windows platform. From my experience of Linux PCs I then find it is really important to get a correct DRIVER match ie on the OS vs the relevant card otherwise a lot of time can be wasted trying to get it to work correctly.

Any advise about this much appreciated :)

paw123uk

Donating Member
satellite card

have a look at the tbs range there all well supported i have tbs 6928 which is single tuner with ci slot but they do a broad range some with as many as 4 tuners

hope this helps

by the way they are pci-e x1 which will go in any pci-e slot and dont bother with linux unless you really want to because windows xp is fine

http://www.tbsdtv.com/

Last edited:

charis1

Registered
i use tbs cards the last 3 years tbs 6922 and 6925 no problems so far crusial for me was the corect use of my diseqc motor and usals because my old skystar cant.
You can use it in a linux machine all tbs cards have linux drivers.
For windows i use w7 so i cant tell you what happen in xp.
If i buy now a card i will take one with more that 1 tuner or one who have also DVB-T tunner.

Last edited:

futura2012

Registered
hello paw and charis

awesome great info TY.

cards work on both XP and Linux :) couldnt ask for more.

I used to have a skystar myself but assumed things had marched on slightly and sure enough they have.

ive looked at the dual and quad inputs but they seem to go for much more money than the singles so I think im going to go for a single tuner PCI version. Possibly the PCI TBS6982 they seem really cheap between 15-23 GBP used.

Next question is on the software front? I assume with this having Linux capability its got the potential to go in the same direction as the dreamboxes VUs etc.

Do you know of a recommended LINUX Distro that utilises this kind of card to its full potential? ;)

Also how did you get on with the Windows software? is it a case of the software / drivers that come with it is adequate or do you need to look for third party alternatives?

Many thanks for your replies :)