Replacing my 1.1 mtr Triax dish

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I am thinking about upgrading my dish.
I currently have the Triax 1.1 mtr.

Would a Gilbertini 1.25 be much of an improvemnt?

Size is an issue as it will need to be mounted looking over a single storey building.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
The increase in size and the quality of the Gibertini dish will give better results for sure. Are the gains going to be enough to justify the cost though ?

RimaNTSS

Of course, bigger dish is always better. But, keep in mind, that Gibertini 1.25 does not mean it is 1,25m dish:) , this is only sellers trick. It may be little bigger than 1,2m but smaller than 1,25m. :D
But, anyway, Gibertini 1.25 will perform ~20% better that Triax 1.1m

Last edited:

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I think I am going to get one.

My Triax is very heavy and difficult to adjust elevation because of the weight.

The Gibertini only weighs 4kg. The Triax is nearer 13kg, so it will be easier to adjust the elevation. I can also keep using my dark motor supreme or whatever it is called. :)

The Gibertini only weighs 4kg.
Wait... what?
Genuine Gibertini 125 has weight much more than 10kg. Any good ~1.2m dish has weight more than 10kg. Check official site http://www.gibertini.it/ for correct data.

About a motor... if you can i suggest you go with an actuator... Big dishes dont like wind...

RimaNTSS

Agree with @VodzigorLans, for 1,2m dish it is better to have polar-mount and actuator. BTW, Channel Master 1,2m weights 10kg and it is very durable dish, it can sustain any weather conditions and needs only washing after years of usage.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
Not correct. The newer Gibertini dishes are made out of aluminium and a 1.25mtr weighs only 4kg. My solid steel Triax 1.1 weighs about 13kg.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I doubt it is 1,25mtr. As I have said before, it is sellers trick to pretend they are selling something BIG. Gibertini 1,25 is inly 121cm horizontal size (working area):rolleyes:.

Still bigger than my Triax and it would be difficult to go larger for me due to location of dish.

RimaNTSS

Surely, 121cm will perform better than 110cm, that is axiom of SAT-TV. Of course, antenna's adjustment should be correct.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I suppose the real question is, what make is the best sat dish of all?

I thought Gibertini?

RimaNTSS

Gibertini maybe Volkswagen or Audi, but real Mercedeses are Andrew, Raven, Prodelin, Channel Master (all plastic):thum:
This is my IMHO again :)

RimaNTSS

And I forgot to mention Lamborghini.... which is Fibo 1,2m Gregorian type dish. But, seriously, it is not so easy to say that dish A is better than dish B. Firstly we should set list of criteria and then do tests. Some points for criteria could be:
- size;
- durability (not easy to measure);
- color;
- weight;
- performance (not easy to measure);
- price;
- other criteria;

Last edited:

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
OK, so basically any dish bigger than my Triax 1.1 is an improvement.

I would love to go to a 1.5mtr, but I think it would attract attention from neighbours and my local council. :(

pipedream

I think I am going to get one.

My Triax is very heavy and difficult to adjust elevation because of the weight.

The Gibertini only weighs 4kg. The Triax is nearer 13kg, so it will be easier to adjust the elevation. I can also keep using my dark motor supreme or whatever it is called. :)

Not sure where you get your weights from the Gibby is 15.1KG

emanresu

Donating Member
The triax 1.1 is 100cm horizontally. The gibby is one of the few dish that measures the closest to its stated size.

Triax is closer to 10.5kg total.
Gibby is 15kg total as the heavy duty azel mount is about 10kg in weight.

Gibby should trump the triax for gain but triax still performs real good for most feeds so depends what you need for.

RimaNTSS

Good performance is very general statement without real comparison tests. Decent price is also very general.... does that mean "the cheapest" ? :confused:
I would say, look for used 1,2m polar-mounted Channel Master on the second-hand market (that, if you are lucky, could cost 50-100 EUR), and that will be best option at decent price.